Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

only cowards play third person

It makes using the spear that much harder, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Party creation is still messed up from the previous beta, as I feared. I hope this gets fixed very quickly, because it was next to impossible to party up in some cases when the last beta was running.

Aardvark! posted:

anybody else find the party system to be completely hosed right now? had a 2 party work, then a 3 party work after resetting, getting 4 people all showing as online to eachother seems impossible right now though

My experiences with it are: 1) I was the only one that could be the party leader, ever. Even if other people invited me, I would always be the party leader and 2) You have to magically sync up your game by restarting it and doing the tutorial trick and somehow, you are able to invite everyone because the game can see everyone in-game via EGS.

It's bad. :(

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I haven't seen poo poo in chat, other than gg and ez more or less. People were exploding on the wagon, so props were given to that guy who was making twenty people blow up at once.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

megane posted:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I kill people who are competent at blocking? In Mordhau, they had to time and aim their blocks, so I could mix up directions and feint and eventually they’d miss a block and get hit, but in Chiv all they have to do is look vaguely in my direction and press right click in a huge window. Can’t kick them because they’re not holding block, just tapping it. Feinting just wastes my time, because there’s no concept of “missing a block” here; they can re-block instantly even if they started an attack. Can counter them, but that doesn’t stop them blocking the counter. Usually we just block -> riposte back and forth until one of us gets bored and backs off, or somebody else shows up and third-parties one of us.

I'm using the spear, mostly, and I find feinting between the two varieties of thrust in Slash and Stab helps quite a good bit with opening up an opponent, since you have to be on the ball to correctly guess what's coming at you is a regular slash or an alt. stab or vice-verca. Since the pokes and the swing come out relatively quickly, I can pepper into the opponent and dodge around, not really having to worry about dragging since everything's more or less in a straight line, so I can get them down via attrition so I can go for the most important move: a charged stab to the head, which will basically 2-shot basically anyone.

TL;DR: The spear is a lot of fun! Give it a try! The Polehammer's fun too, but it feels different from the last beta. I don't think it's stopping on people any more?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

beggar posted:

Vanguard Raider has been my favorite so far, my opening tactic is to throw. Either I hit and they are already badly hurt or I miss and people tend to have an instinct of charging you after a miss. They usually don't expect you to have a second primary ready and swinging back at them

What's the best weapon you've found for throwing so far? I like throwing my polearms, but I wonder if throwing swords and the like work as well.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

eonwe posted:

I killed someone by throwing roses at them

I've downed teammates by hitting them in the head with a bandage kit :shepface:

It, too, makes a satisfying thwack now, I think that was added.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

explosivo posted:

yeah uh I was wondering if medkits bonking teammates for team damage was intentional or a bug. I don't remember it doing that in the beta so did they add that for some reason?

They didn't in the previous beta, so this is weird behavior. It hits for something to the tune of 3 on an ally and 10 on an enemy. I have noticed that you can throw the bandage kit differently depending on whether or not you're wielding a shield, so you'll throw longer with a two-handed weapon or one-handed weapon or underhanded with a shield on your arm.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I thought the team bandages would heal if you threw them at people, it took a while until I noticed.

They do heal, but it'll apply the impact damage first before applying the heal over time, which is the crucial bit in why it's knocking the wounded over into dying.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mdct posted:

The main advantage to man at arms is that the polehammer is a hosed up good weapon that ruins days for your opponent with the strongest special attack in the game.

It is a heat-seeking bludgeon of death that will impact with an incoming teammate's foot 90% of the time as they awkwardly shuffle in front of you from the side :eng99:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mdct posted:

I mean sure but that foot is gonna take 25 or 37 damage depending on who you hit it with and it's gonna like it.

That aside, it's reasonably fast, pretty long, and it still has a strong thrust, so it's like good in every respect. It's kind of a strict upgrade to the halberd in a lot of ways and I would never use the glaive over it (though the Spear has a niche that it doesn't fill, obviously.)

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the glaive when I used it. Just didn't have that Sword of War feel I was looking for.

Also, spear continues to rule, ducking and weaving through people's attacks to pick them off one-by-one will never stop feeling quite so good :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Please patch the game with improved debugged party-making so that I can play this game properly :negative: