Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

if you are part of the gangbang side in a many vs 1 fight, just kick the single dude.

the rest of your teammates are certain to flail away constantly attacking while the single dude can calmly block and then riposte. but right after that the single dude will 100% block again to repeat the whole system. just kick em, no need to attack yourself, your teammates are good for that. just kick em in the butt

This works really well and is what I do when I get sucked into one of those fights.

That and running up with the express intent of blocking the riposte so it doesn't cleave through all 5 idiots and interrupt their swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

How do you stand up after you fill the meter? My screen keeps saying "press left gamepad face to stand up" but I have no gamepad.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

eonwe posted:

that's a bug if you rebind warcry, did you do that? press whatever your warcry button is

Yup I did, thanks!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My biggest frustration with this game is teammates who in group fights just hold forward and swing. Not really cause I'm so upset about taking FF, but they always run right in front of me, block my attack, and feed the enemy an easy riposte while body blocking for them.

Gotta hold your position and stay together instead of running after every person that backpedals, switch targets if you have to.

Yes I know I'm expecting too much of pubbies.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

Theres plenty of stomps on PC, not making letting me join with my friends in a game where fighting together is largely more dangerous to allies than enemies is not a benefit

Theres a p much 0% chance they broke the matchmaking intentionally, because companies that actually operate based on their intent not their level of capability don't delete their own weapons due to balance or buggery

Tbf fighting in a group is only a liability because people are bad at it. 2-3 people working together that actually coordinated would probably shred things.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Just played two rounds where it was a miserable slog because the enemy team had a coordinated crossbow line, but then won because they couldn't kill the heir.

3 crossbow dudes plus a guy with a shield guarding them is miserable to fight, double so when they did poo poo like get high ground and line up their pavise shields on the stairs

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Section Z posted:

There is exactly one thing I get for real mad about regarding enemy archers, and that is "Why don't archers deal bonus damage to other longbow/crossbowmen?" every time I land the first body shot and then the universe bends over backwards to block my follow up shots before something kills me.

As much because of how the Javelin reload is so deliberately gently caress you garbage that if you don't nail that headshot arc, a longbowman can shoot you 2-3 times while you are locked in your helpless T pose reload phase (not that the skirmisher shield seems to do much good against arrows anyways). The fact Javelin is a very specific "85 damage, not quite enough to kill an archer without a headshot teehee" just rubs it in.

Grinding up throwing axe levels on Skirmisher so they would look pretty on the knight faster was it's own special brand of cartoonish parody in that regard with my bad luck having it merely down archers instead of outright kill them on top :argh:

TorakFade posted:

it pisses me off greatly that most times, archers are also very good at melee - when I manage to reach them, they just whip out a secondary and kick my rear end. Guys if you're good with swords GO STICK ENEMIES WITH THEM instead of plinking away to get the most kills, drat it :argh:

incidentally I want to unlock the crossbowman but longbow archery bores me, would it be feasible to just toss the bow when spawning and grab a decent weapon off the ground, or the lower health means I'd just be dying instantly? (I still haven't figured how not to get hit :dumb: )

Yeah the short sword is actually a pretty awesome weapon in it's own right and the only real disadvantage to the archers is their health pool. I don't play archer very often but when I do I was running around shooting bolts from the second rank and stepping up to fill gaps with my secondary (my weapon XP at the end was usually pretty 50/50 between the crossbow and the melee weapon).

Shooting into the melee is pretty gross if you time your shots to miss your friends instead of aiming to hit your enemy. I've found that usually when a friendly moves out of the way an enemy quickly fills the gap. Crossbow is good for this because of it's instant release, the longbow and javelins take too long to fire so you're just as likely to hit a friendly because everything shifts again before your shot actually gets off.

Javelins should 100% either get their damage increased, or get a bonus against archers; there's no reason they shouldn't one-shot.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I had two revelations today that completely changed the game for me. First, that you can start counters *way* earlier than I thought you could, to the point people can't always get their block back up.

And second:

Ravenfood posted:

I have embraced the dual Dane Axe. There's almost always a 3rd primary lying around so that is a ton of potential ranged and melee damage.

I can throw my first Dane axe into the skull of an archer, and pick up their bow/crossbow.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

But doesn't the super block last through your entire riposte/counter attack now though? Including if you feint into a heavy attack?

Seems like that would more than make up for that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Booted up Mordhau for the hell of it and oh boy is that game bad. Why did I use to like it so much?

Everything about it is janky and lovely.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

I also heartily recommend this, but they don't just get 2 primary slots. They spawn with a primary weapon in their secondary slot, but if you pick up a sidearm accidentally you can just lose your ability to hold 2 big ones until you respawn. Throw the thing in slot 1, fight with the thing in slot 2, that's my advice.

This is why I switched to Dane axe/messier combo. Messier is my dedicated backup and I cycle through whatever's on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Worf posted:

my archer-vanguard hybrid continues to be a success story

5107 points on that crossbow life that i got 440 crossbow points lol

What are you doing? hunting archers as a raider and taking their weapon?