Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Bucks vs Death Duo 48 59.26%
Cage and Boy vs Private Party 12 14.81%
Velvet vs Bunny 8 9.88%
Mr. Freakbeast vs The Natural in a Bullrope Match 13 16.05%
Total: 81 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/MercyBuzzard13/status/1401011722299887621?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

they didn't show a replay and i didn't look for gifs of it on twitter so i was only going on my initial impression of the spot which was "oh no she's dead"

Yeah i had to watch back because Allie broke character so hard reacting, but Allie got maybe a quarter catch on her and the rest was lucky landing and the springy bones and joints of youth

all those guys that just hop over the top rope and skitter to the ground make my old man knees hurt

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
RIP Red Velvet, murdered by landing on her nose and still going on to win the match

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It was the most :geno: debut they possibly could've given him tbh
It could be worse but the fact it's 3 parts good and 7 parts terrible just hurts my brain trying to process.

What the gently caress were they thinking?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/KiLynnKing/status/1401034073049604097

Hell yeah this trio has a name now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Andrade is a good get but right now he's only at Bushi levels of cool with that intro

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Really cool to see them adding a full on women's faction. More of that please!

And cue people concern trolling about the number of factions in AEW as if that'll somehow bring the company down

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RSK is cool because unlike MSK i actually know what it stands for

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
heck yeah Lady Stable!

it's been a whole assed year watching Red develop from a quick jobber who stirred too much in some basic red dancer tights to a badass warrior with cool gear and wrestling pals

It's really cool to watch the whole product pipeline and all these performers hit their stride

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

They need to make a shirt so I can buy it

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

ANDRADE!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm gonna say something maybe controversial

debuts are the least important thing in the world and a bad debut gets forgotten incredibly quickly if the act is good in the long run

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

best bale posted:

They need to make a shirt so I can buy it

some artist is already sketching them as the Powerpuff Girls, it's easy money

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
AEW definitely has a problem sometimes of introducing people with a wet fart but one thing they've always shown to be able to do well is use those people and grow them into a great act. Andrade will rule in AEW, I have no doubt

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

smarxist posted:

Yeah i had to watch back because Allie broke character so hard reacting, but Allie got maybe a quarter catch on her and the rest was lucky landing and the springy bones and joints of youth

all those guys that just hop over the top rope and skitter to the ground make my old man knees hurt

Red Velvet always scares the hell out of me when she wrestles. She can't jump very high for whatever reason, so on everything she does that requires a flip/dive she's waaaayyy too close to landing on her head.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So if Andrade is gonna be a fixture on Dynamite it's time to see if AEW can do the impossible and make Vicki an interesting character.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Can't wait to see what Rukus comes up with for Andrade. Kind of some big shoes because his WWE theme was one of the only bangers they had.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Andrade's debut was good because he didn't need to get a WWF parting shot promo out of his system

I know AEW is very deliberate with their titles and they're telling a very specific story with it right now, but I think I would be into it if a guy like Andrade came in and just obliterated everyone's expectations of eventually getting to the Kenny-Hangman factory. I could probably be persuaded that now is not the right time to do that, but maybe down the road they could build like Hangman-MJF was the Obvious Next Big Title Feud and have a relative newcomer surge and take the belt himself. Long-term storytelling is great but I think it's fun to balance that with a solid dash of (well executed) subverted expectations when you've got a weekly TV show

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Andrade's debut was good because he didn't need to get a WWF parting shot promo out of his system

I know AEW is very deliberate with their titles and they're telling a very specific story with it right now, but I think I would be into it if a guy like Andrade came in and just obliterated everyone's expectations of eventually getting to the Kenny-Hangman factory. I could probably be persuaded that now is not the right time to do that, but maybe down the road they could build like Hangman-MJF was the Obvious Next Big Title Feud and have a relative newcomer surge and take the belt himself. Long-term storytelling is great but I think it's fun to balance that with a solid dash of (well executed) subverted expectations when you've got a weekly TV show

I think there's real money in Andrade vs. Jungle Boy, so if Jungle Boy is the one to take down Miro, Andrade would be perfect to take it off him. Then maybe Sammy?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
My idea for booking the women's division is to have KiLynn King yeet people out of the ring like Ethan Page did to Darby Allin on every show.

It doesn't necessarily need to be wrestlers, just people in general.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Andrade debut is gonna be forgotten the first time be pulls Tranquillo on a dude. And than also has Rush come out and beat Kenny Omega with a bucket

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Lemur posted:

My idea for booking the women's division is to have KiLynn King yeet people out of the ring like Ethan Page did to Darby Allin on every show.

It doesn't necessarily need to be wrestlers, just people in general.

we've had a good amount of yeeting lately but it never feels like enough

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
That Miro promo was excellent and I'm really liking Private Party's new gear

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Maybe it's the adjustment of performing for big crowds coming back to a lot of wrestlers who haven't performed in front of one before, or the crowds themselves still adjusting their energy to a live environment and going out again, or the Florida pre-summer heat, but things have felt off ever since crowds came back. Not the matches, the wrestling is fine-to-great, but the pacing and overall production just seems vaguely uncertain of what they want it to be, and the feel they want to have. It feels like they're doing a lot more talking segments because they didn't have to do as many before, and it's not always working for them. With DoN, even though most of the wrestling was great, the whole show felt rushed.

I think they hit a groove during pandemic taping, and now they're trying to find a new one. They probably won't actually find that until they can start doing indoor touring arenas though, so until then we're probably in for a bit of an awkward phase.

Pylons posted:

Hell yeah this trio has a name now.
I like it, though "Red Swole King" doesn't invoke the greatest mental picture tbh.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe it's the adjustment of performing for big crowds coming back to a lot of wrestlers who haven't performed in front of one before, or the crowds themselves still adjusting their energy to a live environment and going out again, or the Florida pre-summer heat, but things have felt off ever since crowds came back. Not the matches, the wrestling is fine-to-great, but the pacing and overall production just seems vaguely uncertain of what they want it to be, and the feel they want to have. It feels like they're doing a lot more talking segments because they didn't have to do as many before, and it's not always working for them. With DoN, even though most of the wrestling was great, the whole show felt rushed.

I think they hit a groove during pandemic taping, and now they're trying to find a new one. They probably won't actually find that until they can start doing indoor touring arenas though, so until then we're probably in for a bit of an awkward phase.
I like it, though "Red Swole King" doesn't invoke the greatest mental picture tbh.

Next couple episodes are taped which usually helps them find a good production balance. But yeah, once they start going live consistently that's something they'll need to nail down again.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

sticklefifer posted:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Alaois posted:

debuts are the least important thing in the world and a bad debut gets forgotten incredibly quickly if the act is good in the long run

This. Big world-changing debuts are rare and it's probably better that way.

Sting's debut was special, not everyone can get that kind of introduction.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Alaois posted:

Not at all controversial, pretty much objective really.

It was just weird stuff but doesn't personally dampen by excitement for Andrade one iota.

Granted I don't think people can't mock or laugh or be like 'Zuh?' about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It was the most :geno: debut they possibly could've given him tbh

Yeah it was a whiff for sure but it's loving Andrade, he's gonna tear it up. Like, people were down on Miro's debut too and look at him now

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

you dont like grapplers or what

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Drakkel posted:

And cue people concern trolling about the number of factions in AEW as if that'll somehow bring the company down

You're in luck, this might be more of an "AEW is TNA" week with Mark Henry and Andrade hopping over.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

huge starmaking debuts are a great idea only if you're planning a commensurately huge starmaking push to commence immediately, e.g. moxley or lesnar's WWF debut back in the day

If you do a huge starmaking debut and then don't do anything with them it backfires super hard, so regualr, understated debuts are a way safer and better idea

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
is this the episode that destroys aew!?!!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

I remember when the weekly discussion was the debut of BBB. Now they are one of my favorite acts. Almost every act in AEW is one of my favorite acts

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Debuts can matter.

But it's generally when the person being introduced is relatively unknown and they're made to look important right off the bat or it's so disastrous that it becomes synonymous with the person.

A meh debut is going to be largely forgotten in a week or two.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's only been two good debuts in aew and everyone is pretty good 👍

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Which AEW debuts have gone well? BBB, Andrade, Christian, and Miro are some that come to mind as being somewhat lackluster. I mean, I loved the BBB debut because I already loved them on the indies but it was clear it didn't go over well with everyone.

Obviously those people have all bounced back (and Andrade will) but I wonder if it's just a thing Tony has trouble hitting the mark on.

Overall a bit of a rocky episode for me. A couple of high spots but the Cody/QT stuff is mind numbingly boring to me and I like QT. Also felt like maybe some things ran long because the main event felt rushed. I think if they had another 3-5 minutes to slow the pace a bit more it may have flowed better.

Also, thank gently caress Velvet is (I assume) okay. That dive was terrifying to watch happen!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sting and brodie (unfortunate empty arena thing)

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

The only good debuts have been

1. Sting: just from pure wow factor and Tony’s “ITS STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!”

2. Matt Hardy: he didn’t do much but Jericho sold him as a legitimate threat

3. Brodie Lee: came out and immediately started whupping rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

sting and brodie (unfortunate empty arena thing)

Yeah, these are two I thought of after hitting post. Sting was just loving bonkers and outta nowhere levels of cool. Brodie as well, but in a different and more celebratory way rather than being just a cool surprise.