Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I wish Signal State actually took some time to explain how all the inputs and outputs WORK to adjust the frequency. Are you just supposed to trial and error and see how it changes each time or is there a way to know ahead of time? It's a really interesting game but when it all the sudden set me free to start doing levels I did a few successfully but I had no idea WHY or HOW I succeeded lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

davidspackage posted:

Would this be a good thread to ask for a good Mahjong game? I used to play a Flash version of Mahjong on Newgrounds that was really relaxing and would love to find something with gradual difficulty to pick up. I've looked for one on Steam, but there's so many obvious shoveled ports of phone games with microtransactions, I'd like to avoid those.

Are you looking for a classic Mahjong game (four-handed with multiplayer or AI) or the "make the tiles go away" solitaire games that use Mahjong tiles?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

WhiteHowler posted:

Are you looking for a classic Mahjong game (four-handed with multiplayer or AI) or the "make the tiles go away" solitaire games that use Mahjong tiles?

If the former, see the Mahjong thread. If the latter, someone her may know.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

Mainly the latter. I wouldn't mind learning to play real Mahjong, but for now I'm looking for the casual experience of the solitaire game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's tons of Sokoban clones out there of varying quality, but Orakyubu really stands out for me. It's the standard 2D version, but it's played on the surface of cubes that you can move around. That adds an extra dimension that really makes you think a bit. There are about 25 puzzles, which took me not quite two hours to go through, and it's free.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
For those looking for an excellent puzzle-platormer, much moreso puzzle than platformer (so far), I just want to recommend The Pedestrian, which is on gamepass as of a few weeks ago. I just started it last night and it tickles my brain in a really satisfying way.

You are a little stick man or woman, interacting with 2D environments within a larger 3D space. Puzzles so far involve rearranging the 2D fields and connecting various ladders and doors to eventually find the way to the next area.

It doesn't seem really hard so far, but that's not really what I'm into. It kind of reminds my brain of how I felt first playing Mario Galaxy - think spatial arrangement puzzles and such.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's a good game but definitely gets tough later on.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ultrafilter posted:

It's a good game but definitely gets tough later on.

I can totally imagine that. Looking forward to it!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The Pedestrian is excellent, and definitely worth your time to play, especially since it's on Game Pass.

The Fresh Releases thread recently introduced me to Supraland, a spectacular 3d puzzle platformer/traversal game. It starts off pretty easy, but the puzzles get progressively harder as you move toward the end. And there are secrets to find (with minor upgrade rewards) everywhere in the game. If you collect all the feathers in Assassin's Creed games, you'll love this. And if you don't, well, there's no real penalty for just playing through the game's main storyline.

The first Supraland game is on Game Pass, and the newest one (Six Inches Under) was just released on Steam this month.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I just played through Krystopia: A Puzzle Journey and I would definitely recommend it. It's vaguely reminiscent of the Myst games but much shorter and easier; I finished in about 2.5 hours. There's a sequel I haven't got to yet, but I will definitely be playing it at some point.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ultrafilter posted:

I just played through Krystopia: A Puzzle Journey and I would definitely recommend it.
It looks kind of like a micro version of The Witness. I'm intrigued.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289990/Alans_Automaton_Workshop/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256867051/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1640757203

Anyone seen this one? I'm pretty interested just based on how it looks

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I've been playing https://store.steampowered.com/app/497780/Recursed/ lately, and been enjoying it a lot, even as I get into the really tough late-game levels.

It's a puzzle platformer where the central conceit is that levels are made of small, non-scrolling rooms. You can jump into a treasure chest in order to go to a new room, or go to an exit point to exit out of a chest... but you can bring objects into and take objects out of chests, which enables some ridiculous complexity.

An early game level might involve taking a key out of one chest, and bringing it into another chest to unlock a door. A mid game level could have you jump into a chest containing room A, jump into a chest in that room to go to room B, pick up a chest with room C in it and take that chest into another chest pointing at room A, so you can use some of A's resources in room C... and then do all of that so you can move a "global" object which simultaneously exists in all copies of the same room, so when you pop back out of that stack and go to a different room C you can get at the global object. It's also pretty common to see a room with a chest in it that contains that same room itself.

Thankfully, all the levels are pretty short, with solutions that, when arrived at, usually only take a minute or two to implement (sometimes less). The difficulty curve is also pretty gentle and simple to start out with. There's an optional story with some voice-acted lines you can get by interacting with the equivalent of logbooks, but generally the lightweight interface supports just getting right into the puzzles without any delay.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289990/Alans_Automaton_Workshop/

Anyone seen this one? I'm pretty interested just based on how it looks

That is some Clint Mansell rear end music in the trailer. not a complaint, Moon is still my favorite film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0lYuey96gk&t=481s

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ultrafilter posted:

I just played through Krystopia: A Puzzle Journey and I would definitely recommend it. It's vaguely reminiscent of the Myst games but much shorter and easier; I finished in about 2.5 hours. There's a sequel I haven't got to yet, but I will definitely be playing it at some point.

Do not touch the sequel; it's got some sort of vaporware cryptocurrency attachment to it.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I don't think anyone's mentioned Linelight here yet. I recently found out about it and am enjoying it quite a bit. It's on Steam/PS4/iOS/Android.

The premise is you are a tiny beam of light and have to navigate line shaped puzzles. There are a bunch of mechanics that are explored quite intuitively.

Here's the steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/469790/Linelight/.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Evil Trout posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned Linelight here yet. I recently found out about it and am enjoying it quite a bit. It's on Steam/PS4/iOS/Android.

The premise is you are a tiny beam of light and have to navigate line shaped puzzles. There are a bunch of mechanics that are explored quite intuitively.

Here's the steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/469790/Linelight/.

This looks great. Really wanna check that out

I've got a couple new ones too. Haven't played them quite yet though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1851120/File_Under_Kingdom/

Mix between a puzzle game, city builder, and narrative game of some kind. Enough to interest me.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456770/Sketchbots/

Pretty involved-looking programming puzzle game. Really curious about this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1712810/Minimal_Crypt/

Another 'simple rules, tough puzzles' style game where i looks like you control a little circle and the different tiles you land on cast different effect on your circle allowing you to do different things.

Also if someone REALLY wants a bunch of new puzzles to solve, this is a pretty great bundle that includes a bunch of games discussed before itt:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9045/The__Bundle/

Play fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 25, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Linelight is very good. So is Dissembler, which is in the bundle Play mentioned.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

Dissembler looks good but I worry as a colourblind person that it's going to become unplayable very quickly...

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Looking for game suggestions that are like Supraland. Not sure exactly how to say what I loved about it but the key points I'm looking for are physics puzzles, lots of little secrets, and upgrade progression.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Looking for game suggestions that are like Supraland. Not sure exactly how to say what I loved about it but the key points I'm looking for are physics puzzles, lots of little secrets, and upgrade progression.

Setting aside the obvious answer of Supraland: Six Inches Under...

I'm not sure there's much that's especially like it? The Talos Principle technically checks all those boxes, but I'd say it feels like a pretty different game. Toki Tori 2+ possibly feels a bit more similar, but its specifics are very different - its puzzles are a very different kind of physics, and its progression isn't through upgrades in the same way.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Antichamber

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm away from my PC, but isn't there a puzzle platformish thing about a boar? People really like it. Full Boar maybe?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I'm away from my PC, but isn't there a puzzle platformish thing about a boar? People really like it. Full Boar maybe?

Full Bore

it's extremely good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's amazing, I'm surprised it doesn't show up on more sleeper steam hits videos

murklins
Jun 18, 2005
router hax plz
I really liked Bean and Nothingness and wish it was getting more attention. It's as good as baba and sausage roll imo.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hollow Knight

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

murklins posted:

I really liked Bean and Nothingness and wish it was getting more attention. It's as good as baba and sausage roll imo.

Seconded. It gets way harder way faster than either Baba or Sausage Roll but it's good.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Increpare, makers of Stephen's Sausage Roll (and other games) released this free puzzle game inspired by Sensorium and The Witness. It's quite short, and very silly, but it's free, can be played in your browser, and I had fun. https://www.increpare.com/game/phonorium.html

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

I should note that it appears that it's 100% audio puzzles - the very thing I could never pull off properly in The Witness.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
much anticipated recursive sokoban puzzle game Patrick's Parabox has released.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Venuz Patrol posted:

much anticipated recursive sokoban puzzle game Patrick's Parabox has released.

Looks fun but that's quite a price tag for a puzzler, I may wait a bit.

I've been playing Hextones which is a very simple little tile-matching game. It's gorgeous, though, and the soundtrack is pleasing. Worth the quid or two I paid.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm a little Sokoban-d out at the moment. I know it's generally easier to start making, and then iterate on the grid-based gameplay and level design of Sokobans but it has made a lot of the highest profile puzzle games in the last year feel a bit repetitive in terms of some of their game-feel. Coming up with new mechanics that don't feel stale or derivative and allow for a wide variety of level design is a huge challenge, so I definitely respect the big ones (and this certainly seems to be something new). I guess to sum it up it's clear that they all have vastly different types of puzzles, but they all feel like they are part of the same sub-genre and I miss the variety of control schemes and genre bending.

I think for a while everyone was trying to make the next Portal too, and that sort of led to a lot of minimalistic FPS puzzlers with gun controls, so it's not a new phenomenon.

That said, I am still looking forward to the Sokoban Jonathon Blow is making next, but then again after Braid and The Witness I'll play anything he makes.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
having played some of it, patrick's parabox shares much more in common with recursed than with typical sokoban games, if that makes a difference in your assessment

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I really love sokoban's that go places but I'm more trepidatious over how devious I expect it to be, every modern take on sokobon gets downright nasty 1000% of the time. I'll play it eventually but yeah, the price is pretty steep with how many sokoban's I still have to finish

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some recent highlights:

Fake Illusions: You know that illusion where a bunch of lines are the same size but one of them looks longer due to what it's surrounded by? Well, here one of them actually is longer and you have to find it.

Ann Achronist: Many Happy Returns: Ann is homeless and illiterate, but she finds a magic ring that lets her travel back in time and interfere with the life of her ancestor. Looks like an RPG, plays like a point and click, and it's one of my all-time favorites.

Mining Cats: A basic puzzle game done well. Look for some of the other cat games from the same devs.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

treat posted:

I really love sokoban's that go places but I'm more trepidatious over how devious I expect it to be, every modern take on sokobon gets downright nasty 1000% of the time. I'll play it eventually but yeah, the price is pretty steep with how many sokoban's I still have to finish

I found the learning curve to be pretty gentle -- it does a good job of introducing you to each new technique before throwing you into a puzzle that demands it. I'm only as far as the Clone stage, but I've really enjoyed it so far.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I've finished the game and it's quite easy, at least from my perspective as someone who plays a ton of puzzle games. Very well designed and fun to play, but there's a lot of tutorializing for basically every mechanic, and even the bonus puzzles are fairly small and don't require that much precision. There were a few stumpers along the way, but nothing really devious

Definitely worth playing, though. And I think it's much more approachable than Recursed, based on being able to see the contents of recursive boxes and more easily visualize how things move.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

treat posted:

Here's what the sole negative review says:

I disagree with the assessment on the puzzle design but the game makes it very possible to see all of its mainline content and gimmicks

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cave emperor posted:

I started out with that personal rule, but ended up dropping it after around half of the puzzles. Since I'm neurotic enough to still want the puzzle marked as "solved without errors", I now usually take a screenshot and reconstruct the last valid state after a full reset.

You do you, but I can't imagine living without them, and I don't consider using them cheating in any way. The deductions needed for some of the later puzzles get so complicated that trying to do them in my head would be a complete nightmare.

I don't use any of the other QoL tools though, basically playing at the default settings.

For the record I just finished 100%-ing Tametsi, still following these rules, at 130 hours. I'm going to have to write up a comparison of its design to hexcells infinite for the puzzle design thread.