Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Trout posted:

I’m programming/co-deisgning the Roottrees are Dead remaster with superrodan in case anyone has any questions! We have a ton of enhancements in store for the game. The cool thing is the base game was already great so everything from here is just gravy :)

How soon can we give you money for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Trout posted:

Trust me, that part of the user interface is going to be a lot better! We’re working hard on it.

Good to hear! I look forward to buying and playing it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This kicks rear end. Looking forward to buying that. Can't believe you resisted the urge to call it The Roottrees Are Still Dead. :haw:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's the name for the sequel, obviously.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe the Roottrees are loving dead

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all

Discendo Vox posted:

How soon can we give you money for this?

I’m hoping we can get it released later this year but honestly we’ll take as long as it takes to make a good game. Development has been going very smoothly so far but I also know how software goes.

For now the best thing you could do is wishlist it, and if you know anyone else who likes these kinds of games ask them to wishlist it too.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
yyyeesssssssssssssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93aNtVg6MM

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Evil Trout posted:

I’m programming/co-deisgning the Roottrees are Dead remaster with superrodan in case anyone has any questions! We have a ton of enhancements in store for the game. The cool thing is the base game was already great so everything from here is just gravy :)
hell yeah glad to pay money for this and excited it's an eviltrout joint

I only just played it a few weeks ago, so I'm lightly regretful that I didn't wait for the full release.

But now I can see the before & after and also have a better chance of understanding anything I didn't really get the first time.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Am already in the middle of too many games I need to finish so never got around to the browser version though I wanted to; super happy to hear about the forthcoming steam release! Wishlisted! :cheers:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

flesh dance posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for posting! I loved Prose and Codes and had no idea it got a sequel. Anyone into classic literature and word puzzles should check them out

In addition, Poems and Codes just got 50 additional ciphers as a free update. There goes my time...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
For those few that are playing Epigraph: I just discovered that there's a bug in the game where when you start the game, the "pins" in the artifact seem to be in the position you left them in, but in the code they act like they're in the default position. So if you have issues getting the solution to work, move all pins back and forth so their position is refreshed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Good to know, thanks.

I am slow and stupid, so I am just down with figuring out the phonetics of the glyphs and the few obvious words and now need to fill out the stele with words. It's hard!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Finally got this laser after poking around for what felt like an hour before noticing the big important thing. Mopping up the final puzzles and stars after getting the standard ending to the game, getting close without looking up any solutions or using any of the in-game free completions. It's what Athena would want.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm loving Epigraph- it's entirely fair and absolutely exacting in the required inference. I just wish the interface was a bit more refined.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 11, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Well poo poo

https://twitter.com/lunarchstudios/status/1768673593477550175

Hope they add offline mode before they turn off the office lights

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
That sucks.

I had suspicions that things weren't going too well when I saw how discounted the game is on the current Steam sale.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Talos Principle 2 is also $18 right now and I just want to say that's a hell of a deal for one of 2023's best games.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

ymgve posted:

Well poo poo

https://twitter.com/lunarchstudios/status/1768673593477550175

Hope they add offline mode before they turn off the office lights

The game is fun. They’ve committed to turning on offline mode if the servers are going to go dark. The devs being fired is absurd, but in character for the publisher.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is horrible news; whatever my gripes, as soon as I clear my current backlog I was planning to lose several weeks of sleep to IoI. I really hope they're able to get support, the game should be a strong showcase for their abilities on multiple axes.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
All this running around is really making it hard to get into TP2.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pisshead posted:

All this running around is really making it hard to get into TP2.

Do you mean in the city? You don't spend much time at all there after the first 30-45 minutes of the game. But yeah, it goes on a bit too long at the beginning.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
There is also a lot of open space between puzzles in the different regions too. I just hope that he figured out how to sprint, and isn't just walking from one point to the next.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

would the IOI team been in as much trouble if the game was solo-only? IDK if they put additional needless costs on themselves by making it massively multiplayer, when you can't even solve puzzles with others or chat with them beyond gestures

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

There is also a lot of open space between puzzles in the different regions too. I just hope that he figured out how to sprint, and isn't just walking from one point to the next.

Nah even with sprinting it's a lot of running. South level three seems to take this to an extreme. Feels like padding. I blitzed through TP1 but it's taking me ages to finish this because I can barely bring myself to launch the game. Can't even be bothered to run around to find the connectors for the gold stars.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The 7th Guest posted:

would the IOI team been in as much trouble if the game was solo-only? IDK if they put additional needless costs on themselves by making it massively multiplayer, when you can't even solve puzzles with others or chat with them beyond gestures

knowing publishers, i wouldn't be surprised if they were pushed to make it multiplayer and then were fired because the publisher's decision was a bad one

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I do think Islands of Insight is probably ultimately harmed by sitting in a weird middle position between single and multiplayer. The strength of the response to the concepts and things like the demos they put out makes me think there was probably a market for it having actual strong multiplayer components rather than the 'shared world (please don't interact though)' approach, and at the same time as The 7th Guest points out it likely would have trimmed costs considerably and made it easier to support if they'd just made the game a single player game. Instead they sort of hit the worst of both worlds.

But also

flatluigi posted:

knowing publishers, i wouldn't be surprised if they were pushed to make it multiplayer and then were fired because the publisher's decision was a bad one

I really enjoyed Islands of Insight, I hope the team are able to find something else and I hope the game doesn't get the plug pulled without some sort of offline solution.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really liked Islands of Insight but got distracted by other games. I think they were at their strongest when they were focused on a specific puzzle type being iterated on repeatedly in a single area, but the little randomly-respawning puzzles and abundance of extra puzzles in each distinct level kind of hurt the overall feeling of ticking off all the boxes for "Puzzles Completed."

I sort of understand the Whys of having the extra puzzles, so nobody gets stuck in one place, and customizing your avatar with all the little doodads was legitimately interesting. I hope they all have successful careers despite the news :(

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I'd chalk the IOI studio closure up to bad publisher decisions (or questionable dev decisions in order to secure a publisher). I'm sure the pitch appealed to some people but out of maybe two dozen people I know who are absolutely obsessed with puzzles and puzzle games, I think one of us found "MMO puzzle game" in any way an appealing pitch, on its face it's pretty much the opposite of what a lot of us typically want from puzzle games I think.

If I didn't follow this thread I don't think I'd have been aware of how much the multiplayer element was neither essential nor required (though if anything, that made me more skeptical of how good a game it would be, lol). I can certainly imagine there was an audience for whom an MMO puzzle game is an extremely appealing idea, and I'm just not in those circles, but if anything I feel like if that pitch grabs you the fact that the multiplayer elements were just kind of tacked on was probably a big letdown.

So yeah, ultimately it makes me wonder what audience the game was even meant to target, which had to be pretty rough for both marketing and reception. I literally don't know anybody who bought it outside the forums, which is too bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I had no interest in the game when I heard about it, but a friend sent me screenshots of some logic grids during the demo and I was like, oh, this is a Nikoli-style puzzle game, this rules. I really enjoyed the game, but that's because for me, "It's not really an MMO, there's no guilds or raiding or whatever other MMO stuff, you just walk around a 3D world and do puzzle grids like in The Witness except sometimes you can see other players too" is a positive, not a negative, which means the game's core premise it advertised itself on was turning me away when.

I have to agree that I don't think the game knew who the target audience was. People who want multiplayer will be disappointed that it's really single-player, while people who want single-player will be turned away by the game presenting itself as multiplayer. And I doubt "people who love the logic grids" and "people who love the morphic fractals" are groups with a terribly large overlap. I think the game is genuinely great as a beautiful single-player Nikoli puzzle game with some other puzzle types thrown in for variety, but the publisher wanted (or was promised in the pitch) an MMO, and that's the shell they tried to awkwardly wrap it in.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I think the target audience was basically me. I grew up on the janky low budget MMOs of the early 2000s and I really like experimental online stuff. I loved Myst Uru for the brief time it was relevant.

But in a world where even games like Talos Principle are not getting it done it seems very ambitious that this would sustain a 20 person team.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I think it's as simple as the publisher seeing a bunch of profitable live-service games and wanting a piece of the microtransaction/"battle pass" pie. But public sentiment toward that stuff has shifted quite a bit over the past couple of years, so they decided to pivot away from it. I assume sales were poor, and... here we are.

I'd love a legit co-op puzzle game -- Portal 2, The Path Within, Trine, Snipperclips, Escape Simulator/Academy were all lots of fun with a friend. But that's not what Islands of Insight is. It's a single player game set in a mostly useless multiplayer world.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Just beat Chants of Sennar, which was pretty good for about 6-8 of its 9 hours. I wish the translation puzzles had continued to get deeper and trickier, but instead the game gets significantly easier starting in the last two levels the scientists/factory and the gamers, and the translation hints were either more direct or just outright dictionaries lying around. All the other puzzles were generic and very easy, mostly just point-and-click adventure type stuff where you've picked up an item and need to find the one place you can put it. The world is atmospheric and the story is mysterious until both suddenly aren't — the big reveal, the 'message', is obvious and conveyed in ways that range from merely tedious to dogshit stupid

the stealth sections lol

It's a game with one really satisfying, constantly unfolding core puzzle, a great art style, and a lot of dumb boring fluff. I'd recommend getting it in a sale

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The third area was definitely my favourite in terms of translation, especially since I somehow missed a key rosetta stone early and had to do a lot more logical deduction on the grammar than you usually would

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The third area was definitely my favourite in terms of translation, especially since I somehow missed a key rosetta stone early and had to do a lot more logical deduction on the grammar than you usually would

I think the game would have been better if it had more of that stuff but like, on purpose. Stuff that you could work out early with a lot of thought if you want to feel clever, but that you're not really required to know until you get a more direct clue later on.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

yes, the third language is the most complicated (and attractive), and it's the last time the game asks you to put much effort into learning it

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I definitely slept on Void Stranger too long. After a few hundred relatively straightforward Sokoban puzzles, I just fell down the rabbit hole, and it's more like a rabbit chasm.

On floor 226 I got stuck on the actual puzzle and never managed to solve it, but discovered I could get down to the status bar and gently caress with things there, so I swapped my locust count with the last two digits of the floor number, going back to floor 202 with 26 locusts, found a locust, and used a statue to get forward to floor 227. A few floors later, I got my first ending, and 25 floors into playthrough 2 I discovered that in addition to Baba is You, I'm also apparently playing --Ys II----- because I can now talk to every obstacle. What even is this game.

Edit: Also starting to think I might need to put down the Steam Deck and switch to my PC because the amount of notes I feel like I need to take at this point is more than I want to handwrite.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's one of my favorite games of all time, enjoy :cheers:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the roguelike thread:

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

I picked it up to give it a whirl because I like logic puzzles of this sort and it's only $4, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone else who's intrigued by it. There's different difficulty levels to choose with varying difficulty hints, a real time hunger meter that isn't super oppressive IMO but does encourage you not to stay on one puzzle too long if you're stuck, barebones intermittent combat that basically serves to ensure you're completing some of the puzzles (you can skip after opening safe chests even if you haven't figured out all the safe ones, but you miss out on the rewards and near the end of the run you get a bonus if you opened up the vast majority of safe chests). It's already been worth more than $4 to me. (I posted the above to the steam thread earlier today and played for 5 more hours since then lmao)

I will say that it's not a perfect puzzle game in that you'll sometimes run into a scenario where you'd have to guess which of two chests was the mimic given the provided clues, and it's not ideal even though skipping chests is a game mechanic.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Thoom posted:

After a few hundred relatively straightforward Sokoban puzzles, I just fell down the rabbit hole, and it's more like a rabbit chasm.
I'm plugging away at this now myself. I've been trying to give it the benefit of the doubt because I've seen so many people talking about how there's so much more to it than it appears, but I'm nine hours deep and to some extent regretting not hitting the Steam eject button at two.

(Arbitrary Void Stranger spoilers below, I suppose)
I died after I think a few dozen levels, then ate the fruit to come back VOIDed (Whatever that means? Feels like it's probably a lock into a bad end but idk?).

Later, about 200 levels deep I think I died again, on that same run, but for realsies (Maybe too many times in quick succession / on the same level? Then got sent to a mostly blank screen and my character turned into some sort of weird egg??). Seems like a lot of progress to lose but no big deal, I think. I'm not quite starting from scratch, since I do have the knowledge that I can cash in locusts for shortcuts and I maybe feel like I have a chance to try out something else I think I've discovered.

So I start up another run and try to translate some murals into an input to the brand entry screen, but for all the ones I have, the game just responds with an X and variants of "Nope", so no luck there.

Again, trying to give the benefit of the doubt, I feel like to some extent I've inflicted some hardship on myself just by the way I happen to have played it (I also e.g. for UNDERTALE scotched a Pacifist run by killing Flowey during the post-final boss dialog so I know I'm not above doing some real dumb poo poo to give myself a bad time). I've really enjoyed the narrative vignettes and some of the later puzzle rooms introduced some mechanics which I thought were interesting but right now I'm replaying literal dozens of early rooms I didn't feel were particularly engaging the first time through, and what few things I've seen that I could potentially interact with at a deeper level have yet to yield anything satisfying.

I know there's something else to this, I just don't know if I want to be moving these fuckin' boxes around any more. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Some Strange Flea posted:

I know there's something else to this, I just don't know if I want to be moving these fuckin' boxes around any more. :(

You're very close to the cool stuff, you're just missing one important thing.

Hint 1: The mural patterns aren't meant to be entered into the brand screen.
Hint 2: Can you think of any rooms with layouts similar to the patterns?
Hint 3: The first of these should be pretty obvious. (Explicitly: It's B023)
Hint 4: Once you make it match the pattern, now what?
Hint 5: Take a leap of faith.

It also sounds like maybe you accidentally got a weird ending. As far as I know, there's no mechanic that punishes you for repeatedly dying in VOID mode, and the ending of the first playthrough is really clearly signposted as an ending and not a punishment for failure.