Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I had a pretty good one for my first five star run. I think i'm getting the hang of it. Tech early, tech often, folks.

The nice thing about teching is that building things on a planet itself does not actually take any time which is very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WhiteHowler posted:

I picked up Slipways yesterday and see a ton of potential, but jeeze am I bad at it.

The lab/tech element is kind of confusing, so I just sort of aimlessly plop down labs when I have some extra resources of the same type in an area, and research whatever might be useful (it usually isn't).

I know the game is new, so I'm hoping to see some write-ups on how to not be terrible.

The thing about labs is that the earlier you get tech going, the better. Labs also do a good job of providing for exports to get those wonderful prosperous planets, but that's more of a later function. Since you get your income by the year, labs are powerful early on.

There are other ways to get tech though, and they should definitely be considered.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ciaphas posted:

wait do exports to labs generate income?

I haven't checked(though i usually don't have money problems after the first few years), but they do count as exports for the purpose of making a planet prosperous

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The Slipways campaign is kinda interesting because the win condition has very little to do with what gives you a high score(though it does affect how many stars you get), it's kind of a challenge trying to hit things like the big planetary forge because not all the planets around it are going to be suited for getting maxed out unless you get some sick techs. That might be the way to go on that mission, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WhiteHowler posted:

I've played six games of Slipways now, and I have never, ever even come close to running out of money. Which means I'm almost certainly doing something wrong. I finished my third regular game with three stars, and beat the first Campaign scenario.

Also, I noticed that completing the first tier of tasks for a council race rewards you with something like "X race items added to events". I have no idea what that means. What events?

If you hook up one of the artifacts to a planet with a free population, the race items represent randomly presented options. Some of them are really good.

If you're hooking up population planets and making sure you keep enough of them steady you will not have money problems.