Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Since we're talking Slipway, here's my first successful run

Started with Challenging right off the bat cause that's how I rolll and well, the game is pretty dang hard! Got several dead-end starts and even one or two promising empires that failed due to overextension and running out of money. This empire was on the edge a couple of times but the structure that supplies any resource to a single planet came up clutch in patching up crucial holes in my supply chains.

Biggest issue I had is remembering the upgraded supply/production values. For example, remembering that levelling up mineral factories add a water requirement, or knowing which production chains require goods later on, stuff like that. Game is mad fun though, and while it can be heavily RNG-dependent the fact that games go by pretty quickly means it's no big deal losing. You'll bang your head against the wall but you'll generally know pretty quickly if you've got a hopeless start, and if you mess things up later on then it's probably your fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

One thing that took a while to click in Slipways is that you always want to look for places to exports to go, even places that no longer need it. If your food production planet is max level and only needs one biomass to function, but you’ve got planets with extra biomass laying around with no where else to go then you can send all that extra biomass to the food planet. It won’t generate any extra food but it will generate more revenue and, perhaps more importantly, more easily satisfy Successful/Prosperous route requirements.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well this just happened

I seemingly locked myself out of the second platinum star as I kind of messed up my final year by being a bit too cavalier in the first half and scouting like an idiot (do not do this on the final year! You want full undo capabilities to look for optimizations), but hoo boy. Matter Transposition, which lets you switch the position of uncolonized planets, is pretty drat strong. Combine that with Starbirth however, and it becomes completely busted. Starbirth lets you turn any mineral or barren planet into a supply of two energy for a mere 1mo/20c, and being able to place them in the most convenient spots with Transposition made the late game a laughable affair. Establishing tech often and early is key in this case of course. Of course I managed to fund all this galactic marble shifting with two good money perks (8c for deliviering minerals, 8c for connecting two-way trades), double money from asteroids, and Xenotourism. Tourism in general is excellent since it gives you somewhere to sink population, generates money, and is pretty easy to get to Prosperous, especially in conjunction with Starbirth. Looking at my map in hindsight this game could have gone waaay past 20k, so I encourage people to try out this seed and council combination themselves.

I was a tad skeptical starting out cause getting a handle on the mechanics and dealing with the sometimes harsh RNG can be dispiriting but I'm glad I stuck with it. This game owns and is a hell of a lot of fun and I anticipate spending 70% of my time on successful runs trying my hardest to optimize and squeeze out every little bit of score I can. I may end up moving to Tough soon to see how much that changes things.