Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Itch have a huge bundle for Palestinian aid going right now similar to the racial justice bundle they did last year. I'm still going through the list but among other things it includes three excellent puzzle games by Draknek:

A Good Snowman is Hard To Build - Push snowballs to build snowmen. Charming, somewhat difficult.

Sokobond - Move atoms around to form molecules. Possibly educational, difficult.

Cosmic Express - Plan a rail route to get all the monsters to their destinations. Peaceful, very difficult.

Not in the bundle, Draknek also made the more recent and amazing A Monster's Expedition, probably my second favorite 2D puzzle game after Baba.

I'll also put in another voice in support of Full Bore, a very widely overlooked exploration/puzzle game. If you enjoyed Toki Tori 2+ check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Puzzle games I have actually played this year, in no particular order:

Everyday Genius: Squarelogic - Nuff said.
Lightmatter - It wants to be Portal so painfully badly. It's alright?
Recursed - A puzzle platformer about programming, but in no way a programming game. Pretty hard; I come back to it once a year or so and only get a little further each time.
Dissembler - I fell asleep after 25 levels or so. Not bad per se, but the challenges never felt interesting to me.
Campfire Cooking - Smart design, one of the gentler learning curves I've seen in puzzle games. Which might put some people off.
Tametsi - A go-to deduction game if you're finding Hexcells too easy or too samey.
Sensorium - A decent attempt at a Witness-like; somewhat short and slightly shallow, but there are interesting ideas in there and the game is fun throughout until you get to the post game.
Memorrha - Clunky and dull first person puzzler, can't recommend.

Upcoming puzzle games I'm looking forward to based on their demos:

Jelly is Sticky
Akurra
Patrick's Parabox
Sausage Dog Tends to Infinity This is clearly never coming out.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

I didn't even get to a tower in Steven's Sausage Roll, I got stuck at a level that was only like 4x8 or something and realized I was not enjoying the experience.

If you like Steven's Sausage Roll you might like Pipe Push Paradise, which has similar mechanics and is less ugly, IMO. (I did not like it nearly as much as I did not like Steven's Sausage Roll, because apparently I just do not enjoy Sokoban with an extra half-dimension.)

Pipe Push Paradise and A Monster's Exhibition both have much better designed and communicated learning curves than SSR, in my opinion; I'd recommend either of them over it if you're looking for "sokoban with a twist".

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

fez_machine posted:

DROD absolutely counts as a puzzle game and it's one of the best puzzle games ever made (Stephen's Sausage Roll is very influenced by its movement system/gameplay concepts).

Everybody should buy at least Gunthro and The Epic Blunder, which is the Snakebird Primer of the series, and the City Beneath DLC on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/314330/DROD_Gunthro_and_the_Epic_Blunder/

Even DROD's releases are a puzzle. I want to give it another try, but I've never figured out exactly what I would need to buy/install/move around to play Epic Blunder in the 5.0 engine, or if it's even possible? As you say it seems like the right level set to start with but I'm not willing to compromise on limited undos.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Anyone see something I'm missing?

Never mind, didn't read.

I don't, and I'm disappointed if that's the case; I thought Tametsi was better than that.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

The Spectrum Retreat is free on the Epic Game Store right now.

I haven't played it, but it says it's full of puzzles, so... free, right?

It's decent enough, a solidly middle-of-the-road first person puzzler. Story didn't engage me, but the puzzles themselves were fine. Worth your time if you're getting it for free.