Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Sensorium came out recently, and it's pretty good. It has antichamber/talos principle aesthetics and a pretty neat gimmick of arranging puzzles around the five primary senses. the puzzle design is quite clever, especially near the end when it starts mixing puzzle types together, but it's very easy compared to most puzzle games I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

Full Bore is an impressively clever puzzle-platformer (very little reflexes required, far more puzzle than platform); moderately narrative. Maybe closer to the Boulderdash/Repton genre than regular platform. Does a lot of clever things with few mechanics and very simple controls.

Full Bore is one of my all time favorites. the puzzle mechanics are really satisfying to work with

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

giogadi posted:

Iíve seen a few mentions of Stephenís Sausage Roll and I gotta vent. I was loving that game for the first few hours or so. Tricky but fair puzzles where I felt I was learning gradually. Then the game locks everything (as far as I know) behind The Great Tower, which has to be the absolute most vertical jump in difficulty Iíve ever seen in a game. I spent hours on it and never felt I was making any progress. Just way too many options and too many mechanics introduced all at once. It honestly made me feel like an idiot because I thought: no way they would put a level this intentionally difficult so early in the game, so I guess my brain is just broken.

I didnít even want to look up the solution and continue because Iím assuming Iíll run into something way harder later.

Did any of yíall solve the great tower organically and just feel like it was a reasonable increase in difficulty?

I bounced off the tower the first time i played, but i was able to beat it on my own the second time i tried the game. It's intimidating particularly because you haven't seen anything in the game like it before, but the win condition is fairly obvious once you take a careful look at it, and the steps needed to get there aren't excessively complex. the difficulty of that puzzle lies more in convincing yourself that it'll be possible than anything else.

i'll give a mostly spoiler free hint for anybody who wants to give it a shot: ignore the tower when you start the level, and look at the perimeter. think about what the raised path around the perimeter implies, and what that means about how the sausages need to be arranged. don't worry about figuring out exactly how to perfectly grill each sausage, just focus on how you would get a sausage to every grill mark, and the rest of the pieces should fall into place soon after.

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 8, 2021

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

stephens sausage roll has a design philosophy of always challenging the player with new concepts every puzzle, which i think is loving great but can be completely exhausting compared to games that aggressively tutorialize new mechanics

another game that doesn't ever hold back is Snakebird, which has a cutesy mobile game aesthetic that does not at all prepare you for how brutally difficult it is.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the voice acting in DROD is mostly bad but i do have a soft spot for Arky, whose VA really went all out