Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Played some more Slipways a little bit ago and got a 5 star+ rating (5 stars with one being platinum). I think what I enjoy about the game is that, yes, it's more of a puzzle than anything else, but you can change the shape of the pieces. Most planets have multiple input/output combinations, and the tech tree gives you zillions of different ways to change the formula. Yes, techs are random, that's true. But there are so many techs that allow you to solve the same problem in different ways that you're almost always going to have access to at least one solution.

As an example, the simple problem of "Planet A is too far from Planet B to link them together." Here are the tech solutions I've seen:

• A straight-up boost to the range of all slipways.
  • A project you can build on a planet that greatly extends the range of all slipways going to/from that planet.
  • A structure that acts as a relay, allowing you to both extend the range and avoid a planet in the way.
  • An option to let you move a planet wherever you want (small range at first, upgraded with further tech).
  • An option to let you swap the position of two planets.
  • Teleporter structures that let you just bypass large regions of space with a slipway.

There's probably more that I either haven't seen or have forgotten about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SettingSun posted:

The news that there are higher rankings than 5 stars in Slipways excites me. I have a whole lot to learn about how that game works.

Yeah, it surprised me too. For the record, the first platinum star is at 16,000 points, and the second is at 20,000. Here's a screenshot of my empire in that game:

I went heavy on tech early on and it paid off. The seed is up above the stars on the left if anyone else wants to give it a go.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, doing just one more task would have gotten you to 5 stars. Each task generates 500+ endgame points (they're usually 10-12 legacy points, and each legacy point is 50 endgame points) before counting the happiness multiplier. Sometimes the tasks just don't want to cooperate, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Slipways chat: since switching to challenging difficulty I don't prioritise labs that much anymore. Main priority is to get some planets to succesfull as soon as possible, because that's the best way to get money. I only start building labs when money is no longer an issue at the end of the year.

Labs are a good way to do that because they provide an export outlet for goods that can be difficult to multi-export. That said, I haven't played on Challenging yet.

I did get my first double-platinum score earlier. I gotta say, the tech to collapse planets into stars that produce two energy solves almost any problem.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, I know I've been posting a lot of Slipways screenshots, but I don't think I'm going to top this one any time soon, so please forgive another:

Short version: I combined the green insect race's perk to reduce structure build time by 1 month with the techs to turn planets into stars, build monoliths for happiness, instant-build slipways for double price, and create teleporters. The result is that I spent well over a thousand credit just cross-teleporting goods and monoliths around my core systems, which took 0 months to do. This required a very strong science base, which I fueled by taking the tech thats let me turn free population on pop-producing worlds into tech as well as just having a few good lab locations. Also important here is that this seed has quirks that give +10% score from slipway cost penalties kicking in early and change the empire size score bonus into 300 score per tech you research.

For the record, "full platinum" is the highest the stars go, although obviously the score itself isn't capped.