Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The news that there are higher rankings than 5 stars in Slipways excites me. I have a whole lot to learn about how that game works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I thought this was one of my better Slipways games. 5 prosperous planets! But it really was the pitiful legacy score that did me in. Ah well, more practice.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Couldn't resist picking up Dorfromantik. It and Slipways are going to occupy a whole lot of my time this week.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mad props to those recommending Dorfromantik. I always liked Carcassonne and this iterates on that idea in a great way. Already lost like 4 hours to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

I've played six games of Slipways now, and I have never, ever even come close to running out of money. Which means I'm almost certainly doing something wrong. I finished my third regular game with three stars, and beat the first Campaign scenario.
As soon as I upped the difficulty money very suddenly became a concern!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would say plop a lab down the moment you can actually supply it, so it starts actually making research. Like, if I see two mineral planets fairly close together, that's getting a lab every time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play posted:

One thing I don't quite understand is whether unused goods can travel THROUGH one or more planets that don't need them and to one that does. It seems like not, but that kinda doesn't make sense. Obviously I haven't played too deep into this game but understanding it better would probably get me to do that.

Goods are 1-to-1 between planets with no passthrough. If a planet doesn't need it, the planet will not receive it so the slipway will go to waste. Planets can 'double up' on goods they want and this will satisfy import/export requirements for leveling the planets up. This also generates trade income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

One of my friends just gifted this to me on Steam, so I'm going to give it a try this weekend now that I'm thinking about shelving Slipways for a bit.

Any basic tips on getting started?

You gain new tiles by completing quests and getting perfects (where each side matches the tile it touches). Do as much of the latter as possible. Intentionally fail quests that are unlikely to succeed so you get new ones.