Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

Hexcells / Hexceed - Do you like Minesweeper? Well, this is MUCH better Minesweeper. I'd recommend picking up Hexceed for free on Steam, then dropping a few bucks on a huge pack of new levels if you enjoy it.
I really liked Hexcells and its sequels, but there were often chains of boring/easy steps you have to click through. I found that to be the case even more so with Hexceed (though I'm not too far into it). A game in the same sort of style that doesn't have that problem and has tons of pretty and expertly hand-crafted levels is Tametsi. Note: Tametsi is not easy, so you should probably have some prior experience with something that builds upon the Minesweeper idea (e.g. Hexcells sequels or Hexceed or Globesweeper or Hexologic or Patterna etc.)

WhiteHowler posted:

Superliminal - Another non-linear environment game along the lines of Antichamber. I haven't played this one yet, but I've seen good feedback on it.
It does some unique things, and I'm glad I experienced it, but I don't think it's well designed as a puzzle game or a narrative game. It's more like a bunch of disconnected weird puzzle-esque experiences that seem to be mimicking Portal in some ways, but without building upon any one mechanic significantly, nor the strength of narrative or humor of something like the Portal games.

dirby fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

OCTOPTICOM is another good one under spatial manipulation. It involves manipulating beams of colored light to produce various output images. I think the steam preview image is pretty illustrative:

Thanks for sharing this! The look of OCTOPTICOM reminds me a bit of the old Chromatron, which it seems was far from the first game with colored lasers, according to the article Reflections on a Design.

dirby fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 7, 2021

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Superrodan posted:

This year we're going to tackle Manifold Garden
I enjoyed Manifold Garden, though I got lost once or twice and it's not the longest of games.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

another game that doesn't ever hold back is Snakebird, which has a cutesy mobile game aesthetic that does not at all prepare you for how brutally difficult it is.
Because of that they went back and made the more-approachable Snakebird Primer later.