Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You have1 unread message

Venuz Patrol posted:

I bounced off the tower the first time i played, but i was able to beat it on my own the second time i tried the game. It's intimidating particularly because you haven't seen anything in the game like it before, but the win condition is fairly obvious once you take a careful look at it, and the steps needed to get there aren't excessively complex. the difficulty of that puzzle lies more in convincing yourself that it'll be possible than anything else.

100% agree. The great tower level in Steven's Sausage Roll is, to use an overused analogy, like the first boss of a dark souls game, more bark than bite. You've figured out the controls and the basic concepts. Now it's time to apply them. The actual solution isn't all that long or tricky, it just needs a bit of forethought.

Get over the intimidation factor and it's fairly simple and forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You have1 unread message

roomforthetuna posted:

The big difference for me was that with Pipe Push Paradise when I got stuck I felt like it was my fault for not being able to see the way forward, and that if I had felt like persevering I would probably have got past it and enjoyed a few more levels.

When I got stuck with Steven's Sausage Roll it felt more like the puzzle was just poo poo, and if I got past it the next puzzle would also be poo poo.

Which isn't to say they *are* bad puzzles, clearly some people enjoyed it. It's more "if you tried Steven's Sausage Roll and you're not enjoying it, don't keep trying, it doesn't get better, try something else."

??? You didn't get up to the tower, how do you know it doesn't get better?

I mean it doesn't get better in the sense that there's no point where it stops getting harder but the puzzles are always well designed and reveal new surprises as you get more accomplished, confident, and develop better schemas to approach them with.

Steven's Sausage Roll is a game that absolutely rewards you for spending your time with it and persevering.

Monster's Expedition is in a bunch of ways Steven's Sausage Roll lite and I rank it as one of the best puzzle games of the decade.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You have1 unread message

DROD absolutely counts as a puzzle game and it's one of the best puzzle games ever made (Stephen's Sausage Roll is very influenced by its movement system/gameplay concepts).

Everybody should buy at least Gunthro and The Epic Blunder, which is the Snakebird Primer of the series, and the City Beneath DLC on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/314330/DROD_Gunthro_and_the_Epic_Blunder/

Here's the link to download Wonderquest (check the link in Rabidchild's profile): http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=19398&page=0#388283 or click the direct link here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/getattachment.php?id=36794

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You have1 unread message

NRVNQSR posted:

Even DROD's releases are a puzzle. I want to give it another try, but I've never figured out exactly what I would need to buy/install/move around to play Epic Blunder in the 5.0 engine, or if it's even possible? As you say it seems like the right level set to start with but I'm not willing to compromise on limited undos.

As far as I can tell it's been upgraded to the latest DROD engine on Steam. Look under commands in settings menu to set undo level to unlimited.

Edit: It looks like the creator (not the maintainer) of DROD has a new and utterly bizarre game coming out next year: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449570/The_Godkiller__Chapter_1/

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 12, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You have1 unread message

Whybird posted:

The DROD series is brilliant, but as much as Gunthro is a decent introduction to the mechanics, it's also probably the weakest plot- and writing-wise. I'm not sure which would be the best to recommend, though!

The plot is fairly ignorable plus the better 'plot' in most DROD games is mainly bad jokes w/ worse voice acting anyway. The good plots are in The City Beneath and The Second Sky but their puzzles are built more iteratively on what came before.

Play it while listening to a podcast like I do.

In terms of introductions to DROD, you could try King Dugan's Dungeon instead which is essentially plotless, it's the first ever DROD game but doesn't exist as a stand alone Steam game (although you can get it free remastered from the Caravel Games website). The puzzle quality varies wildly and it asks you to do a lot of tedious poo poo that the other games just don't. The other games have much less of a ramp in terms of guiding you into the game and build on ideas that have come before, although you'll usually get a one or two room introduction to the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You have1 unread message

Stephen "increpare" Lavelle of Stephen's Sausage Roll just released this year's funniest puzzle game

It's also balls hard

https://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=6db35fb9d71be4690b029fff02579653