Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
On one hand I appreciate how New Genesis pares things back and lets the designers start over with 10 years of accumulated knowledge (and without the baggage of 10 years of short-sighted design choices and abandoned subsystems), but on the other they pared it back so much that there's not much left, and combined with the glacial pace of new content there's just no hook to keep most people interested, much less actively playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.bumped.org/phantasy/pso2-ngs-headline-recap-4/

Today's news was pretty good yall. Once the Retem city is available, I am never hanging out in Loser Central again.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Finally, I can bring over my PSO2 Mag skins.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Finally, we’re getting the level of content it should have launched with! I’m glad Sega is responding to and addressing feedback, even if their answers aren’t the best. The new region looks really neat, too.

Unfortunately, we’re apparently only getting new areas (and possibly story chapters?) twice a year. So I guess we won’t see the ice and volcano areas for another year+, and the cocoon-looking floating thing (if it’s even an area) until 2023. At the current rate, I wonder if the game will last that long…

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I can barely motivate myself to log on and do dailies or weeklies anymore. I have millions of useless meseta I use to buy whatever I want right off the market, play in the dress-up-dolly section for an hour or two, then log off for 3-4 weeks.

I'll probably log in long enough to level Bouncer and be back to that routine shortly after.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Haven't logged on since like August. Still dislike melee enough to not want to level it and have just about everything I need for the other classes.
I just hope the region in December isnt just another 3 PSE fields and such.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I miss having stages to play in.

And I don't mean those silly platforming towers.

Running around an open world is tedious. I want to just pick a mission and go like I used to.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, same. I like the open world and have fun running around it, but I want to be able to just make a party from the counter and do a mission. You can kind of do something similar with the room function of the Ryuker devices, but it’s a mess. I was hoping the trigger quests would be like the old style ones, but sadly they’re just different colored cocoons that require keys to get in.
I can only hope that Sega keeps listening to feedback and ends up reintroducing a similar system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
and if you're skilled enough, you might be able to challenge

LEVEL

RED

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So… bouncer is out, right? Is it any fun to play as?

I checked the job openings at Sega on a whim and apparently they’re looking for a Lead Game Planner (game designer) for PSO2. I don’t know if that means the old one is gone or if they’re just expanding to multiple leads. There’s a level designer opening too so hopefully if that gets filled regions might come out a little bit faster. Maybe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's alright I guess? Holding PAs on jetboots to alter them often leaves you holding them long enough for it to do the PA again afterwards which is really annoying and neither weapon feels as..I dunno, snappy as they did in Classic.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So it’s kinda like Braver where there’s some interesting concepts but it feels watered down and ultimately less fun to play? That’s too bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let me tell you, I'm excited for how bad Summoner is going to be

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I checked the job openings at Sega on a whim and apparently they’re looking for a Lead Game Planner (game designer) for PSO2. I don’t know if that means the old one is gone or if they’re just expanding to multiple leads. There’s a level designer opening too so hopefully if that gets filled regions might come out a little bit faster. Maybe.

I can't say much for jet boots, but dual blades are honestly really really good to use. Unlike braver just being an extremely watered down version of itself from base pso2, they gave dual blades unique and actually interesting to use attacks, along with one basically lifted directly from etoile double saber. It's genuinely my favorite weapon in all of NGS.

The only thing its lacking any sort of defensive action at all, unlike literally every weapon in the game. But thanks to multiweapon and the fact that literally every other weapon in the game does have a defensive WA, that isn't much of an issue.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 16, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's iframes on the PA alteration startup but I feel like I'd rather have a guard or something

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I've been running as a soaring main since OG and coming off of that i find them weird to use, and definitely not anything like the eternally flying, infinite pp wall of super armor how they were in the original, but overall they're pretty fun. As opposed to the original - where WA was your life - here, outside of PBF, the WA is kinda just nothing, something to hold while you're doing nothing better, or better yet, just doing the hold+alt-tab thing and having it autofire anytime there's an open space. And unlike OG, where WA was basically an omni cancel evade that also attacked, here your only defensive and cancel action is dodging, which is a bit of a schlep since that automatically sends you plummeting and can put you out of range to actually hit what you wanna hit.

Of course there's workarounds for that, like multiweaponing with something like boots or tdags which has a wa that has you float for a sec, so you can chain dodge into wa for a combo of a bit more invuln time and staying in the air, and if you have the right skills, do a followup attack if you the enemy hits the wa that gets you back in on your locked on target, it's just boots have both an automatic counter that sends out a projectile that you can follow up with a normal attack to close in, and tdags have just the manual followup but it goes for a bit more distance, and of course it's got accel drive so you can do stuff like whiff ripper > accel to quickly gain altitude on something without having to wait for an attack to counter with the guard point.

And of course there's other fun stuff like float cancel combos, although they're really best served for like, fighter main to take advantage of dppr on a down phase or something but hey.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Jet boots are fun but it's weird how anaemic the gap closer is (both the PA one and the gap closer after tech)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Imagine being stuck at lvl 20 in a lvl 20 zone with only lvl 20 skills in FFXIV or WoW or any other MMO for MONTHS.

That's what we've been doing here.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Funny enough I picked up FFXIV as a stopgap. :v:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I rarely play this, but I just got done with an hour plus session of messing around with my brother. It's still fun to play, especially when things come together, but man do they need that new area right now. At least now that the Mission Pass has been implemented I was able to get a nice new look for myself.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The most pressing issue is that I need N-Cornrows.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Grimthwacker posted:

I rarely play this, but I just got done with an hour plus session of messing around with my brother. It's still fun to play, especially when things come together, but man do they need that new area right now. At least now that the Mission Pass has been implemented I was able to get a nice new look for myself.
Just putting out a friendly reminder to not expect the December 15th update to change everything just yet; for now we're expecting Retem to launch with the same sandbox modes + story quests Aelio launched with, the level cap increase w/ cocoons/skill points/class skills, and whatever system updates they'll have in there too, maybe an Urgent Quest too for good measure. They claim to have more types of content up their sleeve, but we won't start to see those until afterward.

The new roadmap they said they'll be delivering on December 7th should help clear up when we can expect to see what kinds of things.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Still thinking they should've held off on braver and bouncer to:
A) have a reason to repopulate Aelio later on
B) slightly sped up the release of the new area...?

I don't expect this to hold people too long if it really is just another three PSE grinders and resource nodes to poke.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Depends on how many new bosses there are and how fun they are to fight to me. I think we've seen 5 new ones so far.

2 noodle arm variants with launchers and lasers.
1 boombox man.
1 chubby dinosaur. (adorable)

and Shai Hulud for the episode boss (assumed) (“Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passage cleanse the world. May He keep the world for His people. ” )

It also depends on how many of those bosses they actually properly utilize. NGS launched with more than a dozen bosses but they only used 2 for UQs.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 12, 2021

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Honestly you make a good point. The bosses are a definite strong point of the game. Most fun i had was early on being level 11 and having about 15 equally green people join in against the veteran Daityl Sword in central.
A 20 minute struggle and deaths everywhere but we perservered.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It finally happened, I just saw my first person in game using the Sonic spindash motion that you had to spend like $100 in AC to get.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I seriously contemplated doing that for the helicopter glide but thankfully i have good friends who look out for me and were willing to talk me out of it.
Those 100 bucks were then spent on burgers.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, I guess I should've checked SA for NGS goons before I moved to ship 4, this is one of the few games where I actually want to play with others instead of wandering around by myself.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MR. J posted:

Honestly you make a good point. The bosses are a definite strong point of the game. Most fun i had was early on being level 11 and having about 15 equally green people join in against the veteran Daityl Sword in central.
A 20 minute struggle and deaths everywhere but we perservered.

I've managed to solo a few malevolents, but boy is it a tough road even at 20.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

MikeyTsi posted:

Well, I guess I should've checked SA for NGS goons before I moved to ship 4, this is one of the few games where I actually want to play with others instead of wandering around by myself.

you got three free character slots, unless you moved them all to ship 4 you can still make one on 2. It might be a little rough getting them off the ground though because the client orders for potential unlocks and multi-weapon only give you some of the materials to complete them on characters after your first, and I think player shops don't unlock until after one of the battle area story quests; I wanna say vanford.

but sooner's better than later, since there's not terribly much to catch back up on yet. I'll eventually be spreading my other characters across ships too, just because I got folk I talk to regularly who play on 1 and 3; I don't exactly know anybody on 4 though myself though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

NextTime000 posted:

you got three free character slots, unless you moved them all to ship 4 you can still make one on 2. It might be a little rough getting them off the ground though because the client orders for potential unlocks and multi-weapon only give you some of the materials to complete them on characters after your first, and I think player shops don't unlock until after one of the battle area story quests; I wanna say vanford.

but sooner's better than later, since there's not terribly much to catch back up on yet. I'll eventually be spreading my other characters across ships too, just because I got folk I talk to regularly who play on 1 and 3; I don't exactly know anybody on 4 though myself though.

Yeah, the only person I know that plays PSO2 is on ship 4, so I just moved over there.

And then we played once.

Is there a good sized goon contingent playing NGS right now? The main issue I've got with that one right now is the general lack of players which makes the daily tasks a lot more grindy. I also want to be able to actually complete the "group" tasks they like to randomly throw in but it's difficult when it's hard to find people to actually group with.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

MikeyTsi posted:

Yeah, the only person I know that plays PSO2 is on ship 4, so I just moved over there.

And then we played once.

Is there a good sized goon contingent playing NGS right now? The main issue I've got with that one right now is the general lack of players which makes the daily tasks a lot more grindy. I also want to be able to actually complete the "group" tasks they like to randomly throw in but it's difficult when it's hard to find people to actually group with.

every time I’ve poked my head in lately there’s a handful of people online, feels like most people are just in a holding pattern until the next major update in mid-December though

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

MikeyTsi posted:

And then we played once.

You can ask for a ship transfer, AFAIK. Those are free but takes until the next maintaince to process.

Ship 2 is/was always going to be popular as that was the "English" ship on Japanese servers.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

You can ask for a ship transfer, AFAIK. Those are free but takes until the next maintaince to process.

Ship 2 is/was always going to be popular as that was the "English" ship on Japanese servers.

No, they ding you for :5bux: for ship transfers.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

MikeyTsi posted:

No, they ding you for :5bux: for ship transfers.

Weird. AFAIK, you get one free ship-transfer before they charge you. At least on Global during the pre-NGS era.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

I definitely didn’t get one free transfer from the one I did to get a character onto ship 2, and it was 7 bucks I think.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Allright, back on Ur. Is there an official Goon Alliance?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

MikeyTsi posted:

Allright, back on Ur. Is there an official Goon Alliance?

Yup, Nol Vacancy. There's a link to the discord in the OP.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Yup, Nol Vacancy. There's a link to the discord in the OP.

Looks like it's not currently scouting, so it's not showing up in the Alliance list for me to try to join.

Maybe I could set up a few moments with someone with permissions to scout to link up so they can send me a request?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

Looks like it's not currently scouting, so it's not showing up in the Alliance list for me to try to join.

Maybe I could set up a few moments with someone with permissions to scout to link up so they can send me a request?

That's why you join the discord and read the server messages so you can @ someone.