Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

I believe this but is there a reason you wouldn't want to just leave crossplay turned on all the time?

I’m on PS5 and don’t like playing against PC players that can track and hose me down before I can get a shot off.

Yeah I’m bad etc, but controller vs controller is more of a level playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah it'd have been great if they didn't crater their own playerbase by releasing the game half a year to a year early. I guess some earning goal needed to be met so a bunch of suits could get fat bonuses or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

getting so high I can barely see and informing my condor passengers the inflight movie is boss baby

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How is BFV these days? Being on the EA Play lower tier it must have some decent player numbers and did they fix most of the major issues? Thinking about downloading (via gamepass) but 90GB download, jeez. I played it at launch and hated it.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

BFV is fine and there are active servers.

the gunplay is in an alright place.

the campaign is a good diversion.

many of the things you might not have liked at launch were reworked, removed , or reduced. it's worth another look.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I'm burned out on all things CoD right now and want a good shooter.

Really hoping 2042 gets put on the EA Play (not pro) tier so I can play that. I tried the free 10 hours at launch and yeesh.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

priznat posted:

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I'm burned out on all things CoD right now and want a good shooter.

Really hoping 2042 gets put on the EA Play (not pro) tier so I can play that. I tried the free 10 hours at launch and yeesh.

My buddy and I reinstalled MW19 and have been getting some good rounds. It hilarious to load into a match with three people as we wait for the last gens to catch up.

I can’t play Cold War, despite owning the cross gen bundle it just tells me to buy the game again, even though the game is installed and launches, it takes me to the in game store.

I am really hoping MW2 unshackles itself from Warzone, CW, and MW19.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Beastie posted:

My buddy and I reinstalled MW19 and have been getting some good rounds. It hilarious to load into a match with three people as we wait for the last gens to catch up.

I can’t play Cold War, despite owning the cross gen bundle it just tells me to buy the game again, even though the game is installed and launches, it takes me to the in game store.

I am really hoping MW2 unshackles itself from Warzone, CW, and MW19.

I was on a mw2019 tear for a bit and it was fairly busy, love the gunplay. Just got tired of the gameplay loops and wanted something a bit different. Some things I find annoying though like always getting one shotted by quickscopers with extremely strong aim assist.

MW2 will be a clean break from vanguard and cw thankfully! I’m most excited for the tarkov-lite dmz mode.

On BFV are there OP meta guns or are there more of a useable variety? I loaded it up and saw a lot of new ones since I last played. I usually like to play support dropping ammo and toting lmgs around.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

In BF related stuff I haven’t been able to get a good full round of BF1 lately perhaps I’ll uninstall it and try V.

It’s so stupid that all the fun squad mechanics from that game were tossed aside in 2042.

I mean yes you can call in a ranger or a vehicle but it’s not tied to squad performance, just map/server restrictions.

Building and fortifying all round so that you can maybe call in a V2 that will change the course of the round with just a few minutes ruled.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I liked the fortification system too. They were useful enough to matter but not OP. They did a pretty good job on that I thought.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked the fortification system too. They were useful enough to matter but not OP. They did a pretty good job on that I thought.

Agreed, anything that lets people who are bad (like me) feel useful is great. I would beaver away building sandbags and stuff, it was actually pretty fun.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The few times there were legitimately powerful thing hidden behind the fortifications always amused me. Dig enough trenches and suddenly now you can hand build an 88 pointed at a capture point

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

priznat posted:

On BFV are there OP meta guns or are there more of a useable variety? I loaded it up and saw a lot of new ones since I last played. I usually like to play support dropping ammo and toting lmgs around.

Assault guns are all fairly good but stay away from the Stg44, Karabin 1938M, and M1941 Johnson

Medic guns are basically in the same boat, most are usable with no real meta but the ZK-383 is a hair better.

Support use shotguns or the BAR for close range, specializations L, R, R, L. Bren for medium range specialization R, L, L, R.Madsen for long range specializations L, L, L, L.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Assault guns are all fairly good but stay away from the Stg44, Karabin 1938M, and M1941 Johnson

Medic guns are basically in the same boat, most are usable with no real meta but the ZK-383 is a hair better.

Support use shotguns or the BAR for close range, specializations L, R, R, L. Bren for medium range specialization R, L, L, R.Madsen for long range specializations L, L, L, L.

Nice, thanks!

I was using the 1919 oops hipfire or anything not prone or mounted is useless and won't actually ADS.. I can't remember if this was a thing originally but that is a bit of a surprise the first time in a while :haw:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Regarding BF5, I wish BF2042 had some equivalent to the BF5 medic carbines. Marksman rifles are similar, but the whole gun "environment" is very different (largely due to the removal of the class system, which was a horrible idea).

priznat posted:

Agreed, anything that lets people who are bad (like me) feel useful is great. I would beaver away building sandbags and stuff, it was actually pretty fun.

The fact that you can do well while being bad at shooting is a big appeal of these games for me. I'm probably a bit worse than average at the FPS elements (though I seem to be a bit better than average with crossplay just due to using mouse/keyboard), but usually place in the top 10 just because you can contribute a lot using vehicles, capturing stuff, reviving, etc. Vehicles in particular are much less reliant on twitch reflexes and more just paying attention to what's around you.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 9, 2022

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Regarding BF5, I wish BF2042 had some equivalent to the BF5 medic carbines.
That's basically what the GVT is.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

OneEightHundred posted:

That's basically what the GVT is.

I just finished Tier 1-ing it. Great fun to use. 6x and a suppressor and then pop heads for days. So satisfying to land those long-range headshots when someone starts harassing you and you turn around and one-tap them. Ravic is a big fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUmvmLHV4U

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Do any of the muzzles or underbarrels have any major effect on the GVT?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you can find the weapon stat changes from attachments here:
https://sym.gg/index.html?game=bf2042&page=comparison

importantly when you look at those values, the gvt has a 4x headshot multiplier as noted here:
https://sym.gg/index.html?game=bf2042&page=general-info

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

God drat do I hate the gun variants/naming convention from BF1 and BFV

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Beastie posted:

God drat do I hate the gun variants/naming convention from BF1 and BFV

Variants/naming isn't really a thing in BFV though? BFV uses a specialization tree almost like picking attachments but not as cluttered or confusing to a new player as attachments were in BF4 or needing a Wiki like BF1

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

A tank driver, when I told him to quit sniping from 500m out on Hourglass Breakthrough and move on the point (A1): "no because then people will shoot rockets at me". So I grabbed a tank a soon as I could and plowed through every goddamn building, racking up roadkills.

BATTLEFIELD

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
People still shoot rockets at you outside of tanks! I've been practicing nailing distant snipers with the TV missile. Always hilarious when they're so tunnel-visioned in that they never notice it coming.a

Really liking Kaleidoscope, though I don't know if I played it too much before the patch to compare. Not sure about Exposure still though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I hate tanks that sit back 100% of the time but I feel the good drivers know when to hangout shelling, but can still read the cap situation to move in when need be.

That said, I was thinking last night how utterly hosed ground vehicles are in 2043. The class system alone tends to have most people packing rockets, and now you have the new operator that has a steerable missile.

I noticed a ton of people have not changed their vehicle accessories to combat her missiles. I spawned on a squad mate's AA the other day and he just had nothing but grenade launchers for his other seats.

We were absolutely at the mercy of someone we couldn't see simply because we didn't have a .50 to hit those incoming missiles.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Beastie posted:

I hate tanks that sit back 100% of the time but I feel the good drivers know when to hangout shelling, but can still read the cap situation to move in when need be.

That said, I was thinking last night how utterly hosed ground vehicles are in 2043. The class system alone tends to have most people packing rockets, and now you have the new operator that has a steerable missile.

I noticed a ton of people have not changed their vehicle accessories to combat her missiles. I spawned on a squad mate's AA the other day and he just had nothing but grenade launchers for his other seats.

We were absolutely at the mercy of someone we couldn't see simply because we didn't have a .50 to hit those incoming missiles.

people who don't put the 60mm mortar on their tanks or the MAV are swine

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

people who don't put the 60mm mortar on their tanks or the MAV are swine

I'm trying to think about a time I have ever seen the 60mm mortar. I'm just happy when they have the flack pod or the shotgun attachment. That thing absolutely shreds infantry, even from a distance.

It looks like they maybe fixed the season 1 badge tracking? Within 45 seconds of my first match it flashed that I got the all gold badge and after the match was done I saw that it gave me credit for about 120 nodes all at once.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The flak pod is arguably more useful on the MAV.

Beastie posted:

It's hard to hit the missiles anyway, but the best counter to Lis is really just have someone bring a repair tool. The main weakness of sniping vehicles with TV missiles is that she only has 2 missiles, and if nobody else is in a position to follow up and secure the kill, then she's stuck waiting for cooldown and has no way to get missiles back any faster (vs. say Angel who can lob M5s at you forever).

e: Oh boy had to play Rush on a HC server for the mission... on Hourglass. I think that wins the prize for worst FPS experience I've had in the past 10 years.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2022

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Beach Party posted:

I'm trying to think about a time I have ever seen the 60mm mortar. I'm just happy when they have the flack pod or the shotgun attachment. That thing absolutely shreds infantry, even from a distance.

It looks like they maybe fixed the season 1 badge tracking? Within 45 seconds of my first match it flashed that I got the all gold badge and after the match was done I saw that it gave me credit for about 120 nodes all at once.

There are occasional spurts of points but it's still broken as in it's definitely not giving the full amount.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Stealth chopper still ruins half the matches it seems. oh well RIP to this game

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

the player dies a thousand deaths

the uninstaller only dies once

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Beach Party posted:

90% of the time I hop in to gun, they have the grenade pod with an effective range of 10 meters while they park 300m away to tank-snipe

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Been messing with the hovercraft some more and it's... not actually too bad once you figure out how to manage threats with it, considering it's nearly always available. It's good for cutting off land routes (especially on Breakaway), assisting caps by going to the side of the point that defenders on and spawnkilling them, and other things that involve getting behind the other team and blowing them up.

You'll get shot at by Lis missiles a lot but they are shockingly bad at hitting them, and if you get hit by 1 then just drive straight away and pop the repair kit and even if she reloads and hits you with another one you'll have regenerated enough to survive it anyway.

Pontificating rear end posted:

Stealth chopper still ruins half the matches it seems. oh well RIP to this game
They've said they're going to nerf the repair system on it to not repair you to full health, but that's still not going to matter much. There are just not enough opportunities to do damage to it.

Ironically, the Wildcat buff would up being to its benefit because the Wildcat dumpsters other aircraft even harder.

At minimum, dropping bombs needs to kick you out of stealth. Then you can have your sneaky hit-and-runs or whatever but you're probably going to have to burn flares on the way out and then open yourself up to heatseekers. And it would still probably be flat-out better than the Apache/Hokum.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 15, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't know that the stealth chopper has been that annoying for me but the Hind/Condor with an effective pilot is really loving annoying. I feel like I can be Rao with the AA missiles and I still can't do jack poo poo to one of those

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know that the stealth chopper has been that annoying for me but the Hind/Condor with an effective pilot is really loving annoying. I feel like I can be Rao with the AA missiles and I still can't do jack poo poo to one of those
Rao is not that great at dealing with transports, either bring Angel and lob stingers at them, SOFLAM them, or call in a LATV with a 30mm cannon and shoot it from some sneaky spot as soon as it starts taking damage. If you're on the Russian side then you can use Lis too since Condors are super easy to hit in hover mode.

On rooftop points there's way less you can do though. You have to get a vantage point from somewhere else, like another rooftop. On Orbital B you want to hide in the back area or hills behind the point so you can shoot them when they try to retreat to safety.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 15, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's extremely annoying how, if your party leader changes game type, yours doesn't change and it'll just keep loading matches. Everyone in the party has to individually choose to leave the game mode.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It's extremely annoying how, if your party leader changes game type, yours doesn't change and it'll just keep loading matches. Everyone in the party has to individually choose to leave the game mode.

the biggest disappoint of mine with 2042, among many to be sure, is how limited the options are for playing with friends. In the other BF games, we would goon squad up with like 20 ppl and crash a server and have a ton of fun for the whole night. Now, its basically impossible to play with a squad larger than 4 people. I do recall there being a really weird roundabout way to get more ppl to join the server but it was all pointless cause the extras were put into random squads and the server would destroy itself at the end of the match anyways so you had to do the whole process over again for each round. So many terrible decisions in this game, I have little hope for the next installment

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm actually enjoying the challenge of playing a Tank in this game. I like it, and it's pretty powerful, and you don't need to be a hill humper (but you do need infantry support). I've shot a couple of Skylords down, blown up some enemy Wildcats, helped push red dots off the objectives, and generally had a fine old time. A couple of rounds I've had a nice couple of squaddies who helped back me up, too, which means you can get a little more aggressive.

I think that an actual thinking squad with Rao is probably OP against Tanks specifically, because you're generally not maneuverable enough to avoid the hack and not fast enough to realistically back off/disengage once you've been hacked, that's kind of the point of a Tank, there's a lag time there, you ain't the speedy guy. I had one server where I would get hacked and then missile'd and there was literally nothing I could do about it, the third time it happened I was playing very cautious and backed up behind a hill, basically the best thing I could do, but of course 2 volleys of Lis's Fun Fireworks didn't give a hoot about things like "hills" or even "smoke" and done blowed me up. Luckily an actual thinking squad is pretty rare anyway, much less one with a coordinated Rao strike, but I'm just talking shop. It didn't feel good.

Anyway I'm trying to wring some fun out of this game and I've found it, but one thing that definitely is true for me is that Battlefield has burned off their goodwill and then some with me. I would absolutely positively never ever buy a BF until it received near-universal acclaim from long-term BF fans like the posters in this thread. I also really wish that someone else would play in the combined arms/big battle space on consoles; I would love a game with Orks vs Humans where one side had 3x the active troops than the other but 1/3rd as effective or whatever. Alas, only in my dreams I suppose...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The portal trailer teased nazis with knives but 3x the numbers Vs Allie’s with guns.

Has anyone actually played a round like that?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One of my favorite parts about this game is when a transport chopper hovers 100 feet over me, and he pops his flares after I hit him with an AA missile. Toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Beastie posted:

The portal trailer teased nazis with knives but 3x the numbers Vs Allie’s with guns.

Has anyone actually played a round like that?

game modes like showed up every once in a while, and when the round was over you would get put on the ai knife only team, because of auto balance, and had to rejoin the server since there was no way to switch team. Did they fix that?