Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So everyone will have a perk it seems, even in portal. Not sure what's up with recon in bf3 getting extra ammo, i guess to encourage lone wolf sniping?

Recons should get a pistol with one bullet, with a unique ADS mechanic that never misses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kibayasu posted:

I never played WoW but were the ships actually moving or was it a case of the world moving around the ships? That's an old trick to solve the issue of a player character moving on a moving surface.

The ships were moving. He's talking about the boats from Booty Bay to Ratchet or Gadgetzan. Lots of PVP on the boats during vanilla and the experience was surprisingly smooth for a 2004 MMO. You can find 10+ year old YouTube compilations of them everywhere.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The vehicle pool is a terrible idea that fundamentally ruined the relationship players have with vehicles and for that no game past 4 will ever be good until it is gone.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

why is vehicle pool bad compared to spawn camping airfields and driving your tank across the entire map

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In BF4 people just stayed on the map spawn screen mashing the mouse button on the deploy button so it seemed like less of a problem.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

people queuing up in spawn to fight for a chopper or airplane or tank or w/e was really bad gameplay

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's still astounding to me they haven't just added an queue you can add yourself to for vehicles, so you can just play the game while you wait your turn and you don't have to sit in the loving map window counting timers on vehicles. It would also solve the problem of one dickhead just constantly hogging a fighter/heli the entire game because they have the mental fortitude to sit in the map screen for minutes at a time waiting for vehicles to become available

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's still astounding to me they haven't just added an queue you can add yourself to for vehicles, so you can just play the game while you wait your turn and you don't have to sit in the loving map window counting timers on vehicles. It would also solve the problem of one dickhead just constantly hogging a fighter/heli the entire game because they have the mental fortitude to sit in the map screen for minutes at a time waiting for vehicles to become available

That’s something a developer could add when they weren’t reinventing everything in the series every other game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Damnit, this is a perfect solution and now im mad that its not in the game. Itd be perfect for 2042 as well.

Just pull up the pad and see there are no tanks available, but a button to enter the queue. After a few minutes, the player is notified that the tank is rdy and just needs a spot to be called in. If they dont call it in 20 seconds, then it goes to the next person in queue

Deceptively simple and it solves a ton of problems related to vehicle-lords hoggin the vehicles or waiting out of game to spawn in one

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Damnit, this is a perfect solution and now im mad that its not in the game. Itd be perfect for 2042 as well.

Just pull up the pad and see there are no tanks available, but a button to enter the queue. After a few minutes, the player is notified that the tank is rdy and just needs a spot to be called in. If they dont call it in 20 seconds, then it goes to the next person in queue

Deceptively simple and it solves a ton of problems related to vehicle-lords hoggin the vehicles or waiting out of game to spawn in one

This is almost how it worked in Battlefield V. If you called in a Sturmtiger with squad points it would create one you can spawn into at the deploy screen. If you didn't redeploy into the tank within 20-30 seconds, then the spawn would go away and another squad could call in a Sturmtiger.

All they would need to do is add a queue at the front for the call-in. Otherwise the loving system is already there DICE.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

getting into the plane first in bf1942-bf3 was actually an artform and i demand it back

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Propaganda Hour posted:

All they would need to do is add a queue at the front for the call-in. Otherwise the loving system is already there DICE.

But this is DICE we're talking about, that codebase has been scrapped and everyone who worked on BFV has been memory wiped.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

In BF4 people just stayed on the map spawn screen mashing the mouse button on the deploy button so it seemed like less of a problem.

You do the same thing in the vehicle pool, except you're not only trying to beat out someone else taking the vehicle you want, you're trying to beat out someone else taking a vehicle that occupies the same pool. I know. I'm a fighter pilot. I only became one cause in BF4 no one wanted to fly the stealth planes, so I did. Now I have to mash deploy so I can get in a fighter before someone else calls a bomber, heavy bomber, or super OP attack plane.

The pool system not only introduces a whole slew of balance issues that don't exist when each vehicle has set amounts that can be in game, it also greatly restricts the access to vehicles by non-dedicated players by making sure that everything on the field has the same perceived value. There's never a bunch of assault trucks just laying around for anyone to get in, or a light tank just sitting there cause the tankers won't grab it, there's only ever vehicles that the person in them fought for a slot to get.

It takes away so much of the fun of just being able to get in something and use it just to restrict the amount of vehicles on the field. Loosening it up just makes everything worse, too, cause now instead of letting people into light tanks or getting more LAVs around you now have 5 landships or MBTs instead of just 1. It's just a terrible idea all around and I can't figure out why anyone ever thought it'd be good, let alone so good they decided that's the way they're doing spawning from this point forward.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 27, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The spawn pool thing was a neat idea but is stupid because of the aforementioned reasons.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Yeah the fact that it can allow for instances like some idiot running an AA vehicle on a map without any air that then fucks up the balance of the round because you're now down a tank essentially

The idiot is me accidentally spawning AA trucks on Amiens :negative:

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Yep, I agree it shouldn't be a shared pool where you pick. They should balance the numbers based on the map. It seems like an easy tweak to the system that was in the beta.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Fart Car '97 posted:

They'll never implement this. However, if you make it so people with a battle pass get higher priority, then EA would like it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

DrBox posted:

Yep, I agree it shouldn't be a shared pool where you pick. They should balance the numbers based on the map. It seems like an easy tweak to the system that was in the beta.

The same system has been in since BF1. It's not going anywhere

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Tis bad

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

While I sorta this idea, I also don't like it because people would just constantly cue vehicles because they could. Like sometimes you just wanna chill out and fly transports or drive an apc nonstop and this would be a hindrance to that. Rounds tend to settle into players assuming certain roles for a while until it doesn't become effective and they try something else. The solution presented in the beta of a respawn on the same vehicle class helped to mitigate that already and gave people ample opportunity to try out vehicles.

Knowing :dice: if the next cued player was still alive it'd create stupid game breaking bugs where a vehicle becomes unkillable or no vehicles will spawn until the player in question is able to spawn a tank, or that becomes the last vehicle that team would spawn for the rest of the round.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Patch Notes:
-spawning a vehicle in the first 4 minutes causes the vehicle to double in size every second, until it reaches size *maxint* and the server crashes
WONTFIX

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol, as long as projectile sizes/damage reduces inversely I'd be down af for giant tanks or whatever

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

dog nougat posted:

While I sorta this idea, I also don't like it because people would just constantly cue vehicles because they could. Like sometimes you just wanna chill out and fly transports or drive an apc nonstop and this would be a hindrance to that.

Why should you be the only one who gets to do that if others want to as well? "Sit in the menus hammering m1 until the vehicle becomes available, hoping there isn't another player doing the same thing" is a truly poo poo alternative

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tired: sitting in a menu tapping the vehicle button
wired: spawning on the carrier and knowing exactly where to stand and for how logn so when you move slightly to the left the plane spawn is unblocked the exact moment you hit the enter cockpit button

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

ethanol posted:

tired: sitting in a menu tapping the vehicle button
wired: spawning on the carrier and knowing exactly where to stand and for how logn so when you move slightly to the left the plane spawn is unblocked the exact moment you hit the enter cockpit button

inspired: using explosives to create craters on the runway to troll your own team

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

inspired: using explosives to create craters on the runway to troll your own team

Retired: stealing your team's plane as recon, using it to get to a spot within sight of the enemies runway and sniping every pilot the moment they get into the fighter on the tarmac

:(

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Perspired: Baiting an enemy tank player into jumping out to repair, killing him, and just stealing his tank instead.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

The same system has been in since BF1. It's not going anywhere

Still a poo poo system though

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Perspired: Baiting an enemy tank player into jumping out to repair, killing him, and just stealing his tank instead.

One time in BF3, i was ambushed by a tank in Siene Crossing. Since i was a medic and had no other options, i ran straight at the tank like i had c4 or something on me. To my complete surprise, the bluff worked and the tank backed up... right into the canal and exploded

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
For all the crap I give BFV, I did quite enjoy shoving mines on enemy tank (yes, ON the tank), taking out my pistol, shooting the mines to destroy it.

They rarely expected it and was slightly faster than the dynamite, would not recommend doing this but definitely worth it as a ''I'm gonna get killed so I might as well go for it'' tactic.

The United States posted:

BFV also had the lunge mine, aka suicide on a stick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3AJ1bISoI

Should have been more powerful though, even if it killed you

Not gonna lie, using the lunge mine on infantry is a power move.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 28, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
BFV also had the lunge mine, aka suicide on a stick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3AJ1bISoI

Should have been more powerful though, even if it killed you

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
another unwatchable video that looks like they are playing the game through a peephole

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Born in Bexhill posted:

another unwatchable video that looks like they are playing the game through a peephole

More peephole FOV but the best melee weapon in BF1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xfBlCT9DZg

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
A new gameplay trailer showing 3 new maps!

https://youtu.be/dmgZLe4r9b0

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

DrBox posted:

At least 2 different game builds shown in that video for some reason

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DrBox posted:

That Antarctica map looks like a lot of fun.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

DrBox posted:

Looks sick!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Everything looks so busy. The lens flair, the snow gusting, the environment, tracers. No wonder they added these detection perks.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

D-Pad posted:

That Antarctica map looks like a lot of fun.

Yeah, looks fun af. Reminds me a bit of that ice map from bf4.

That deployable cover also looks pretty cool.

Gettin excited to play this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

At least 2 different game builds shown in that video for some reason

"You go to editing with the videos you have, not the videos you might want"
-Game developer Donnie Rumsfeld