Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

quote:

Increased close range damage and consistency of the MCS-880 when using Buckshot Shell or Flechette Shells

Hell yeah, I had been bummed out by how bad the pump shotgun was. Also cool that they're removing rooftop points only in breakthrough, since they're pretty fun in conquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Hmmmm no mention of the ads bug when getting out of vehicles?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ride or die

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Welp, better get those Saiga unlocks before the Kaleidoscope roofcaps get removed.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Has this been posted here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKtgP7cHEk

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Are the servers down?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

Good news: the patch tomorrow has aim assist tweaks

And recoil reduction.
Aim assist magdumping "beaming" meta, here we go.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not the Prox sensor!!!!

Also funny enough I played a rush game this morning where we actually took the rooftop objectives. I actually kind of had fun loading up in the elevator with all the other people.

That said most of the changes look good.

still going to be ridiculously good, tbh

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Watched this today. Finally moving to a new version of Frostbite explains so much about all these features that were just totally dropped, and all the performance issues.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If this video is true on face value it makes me wonder a lot of about Devops/IT at DICE/EA and how fuckin' bad it must be to work there in that position. Like holy lol.

Also, it's amusing to think between the choice of making a BR game and this, DICE accidentally chose the idea that probably wasn't gonna be panned as "lol you thought THIS would compete with Fortnight, Warzone, and PubG? [assuming APEX wasn't known about]"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Defenestrategy posted:

If this video is true on face value it makes me wonder a lot of about Devops/IT at DICE/EA and how fuckin' bad it must be to work there in that position. Like holy lol.

Nah I'm sure working at EA is great and not at all soul crushing

Visceral (Dead Space) - shut down in 2017

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2014.

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - Purchased by EA in 1995; shut down in 2001.

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - Purchased by EA in 1992; shut down in 2004.

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - Purchased by EA in 1998; shut down in 2003.

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - Purchased by EA in 2000; shut down in 2013.

Digital Illusions CE (Pinball Illusions, NASCAR Heat, Shrek) Purchased by EA in 2006; shutdown in 2023

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2013.

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - Purchased by EA in 2002; shut down in 2013.

Pandemic (The Saboteur) - Purchased by EA in 2008; shut down in 2009.

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - Purchased by EA in 2009; shut down in 2013.

NuFX (NBA Street) - Purchased by EA in 2004; shut down in 2007.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 8, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

still going to be ridiculously good, tbh

Oh yeah it's just been great for farming the ribbon that (among other things) tracks spots. Although just spamming resupplies and healing is probably more efficient and will be good to get me from just playing Slavic Santa.

jisforjosh posted:

Goddamn I miss Pandemic so so much. It sucks only Mercs 1 (still great) can be bought on the Microsoft store.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Defenestrategy posted:

I know a guy from college who was a great programmer and who literally said "I will do anything to work in video games". He lasted 3 years.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Working as a videogame dev seems like the most miserable existence. Shitloads of extremely long hours, extremely high rates of turnover (burnout, leaving for higher positions elsewhere, imposed contract length, etc.), dealing with gamers bitching at you constantly...why anyone would choose that is beyond me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know a guy from college who was a great programmer and who literally said "I will do anything to work in video games". He lasted 3 years.

Is Video Game dev different than regular dev? It's normal in computer toucher land to peace out every two to three years because :capitalism: means your best opportunity for more perks and figgies is to rotate jobs on a fairly consistent and high tempo way.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pay, hours, vacation and other benefits are all better in the general software industry.

I know lots of programmers who are passionate about games, and they just make games as a side hobby, cos gently caress going into that industry.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Is Video Game dev different than regular dev? It's normal in computer toucher land to peace out every two to three years because :capitalism: means your best opportunity for more perks and figgies is to rotate jobs on a fairly consistent and high tempo way.

I think that's more-or-less how every industry is now.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Working as a videogame dev seems like the most miserable existence. Shitloads of extremely long hours, extremely high rates of turnover (burnout, leaving for higher positions elsewhere, imposed contract length, etc.), dealing with gamers bitching at you constantly...why anyone would choose that is beyond me.

And this is without considering the infamously toxic workplaces like Blizzard, Ubisoft, and Stardock.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think that's more-or-less how every industry is now.

Kinda true but it's the same effect on steroids in regular software. Salaries are going nuts as supply is miles behind demand.

Video game industry however has a conveyor belt of bright eyes naive kids coming out of college who want to work for their favourite studios.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Defenestrategy posted:

It's not normal for someone to completely leave the subsector of the industry they're in on such a tight timeline, no. He completely bailed on the vg industry; the equivalent of a mechanic wanting to work as the lead in the F1 racing circuit and after getting mauled for 3 years going to work as a regular mechanic for a dealership in Michigan.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Char posted:

Once again - no excuses for releasing the game in such a state.

like my bloody profile

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Looks like there are some unmentioned changes included in the patch, not limited to the horizontal movement bug

https://twitter.com/DRUNKKZ3/status/1468633783461158925

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

thats good but i also hope they fix the bug where you cant aim vertically

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Does this mean the bot/weapon levelling trick on kaleidoscope is no more? :(

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

thats good but i also hope they fix the bug where you cant aim vertically

If you vault over something it get fixed, you dont always have to redeploy

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

toggle posted:

Does this mean the bot/weapon levelling trick on kaleidoscope is no more? :(

Points will still be up there on conquest, but probably. Although it's not too hard to farm them otherwise.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

What's up with the "smart scope" does it do anything special?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Visceral (Dead Space) - shut down in 2017

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2014.

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - Purchased by EA in 1995; shut down in 2001.

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - Purchased by EA in 1992; shut down in 2004.

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - Purchased by EA in 1998; shut down in 2003.

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - Purchased by EA in 2000; shut down in 2013.

Digital Illusions CE (Pinball Illusions, NASCAR Heat, Shrek) Purchased by EA in 2006; shutdown in 2023

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2013.

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - Purchased by EA in 2002; shut down in 2013.

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - Purchased by EA in 2009; shut down in 2013.

NuFX (NBA Street) - Purchased by EA in 2004; shut down in 2007.

Hoping Dice gets shut down next

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

kri kri posted:

Hoping Dice gets shut down next

:ssh: read that list closely

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

:ssh: read that list closely

Ha nice missed that

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wooooo aim assist fix.

I can't wait for the reddit PC player tears after that goes live.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Pharmaskittle posted:

Range finder and ammo count in scope.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Range finder and ammo count in scope.

Ok that's kinda neat, a little faster than pinging to get range

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ok that's kinda neat, a little faster than pinging to get range

Kinda worthless now imo since the game already tells you how far people are. Also the scope itself is kinda cluttered and small.

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
What's the trick to shooting down caspers drone?
Dosen't happen often but last night we were being hassled by one while tanking and for the life of us couldn't hit it with the top MG at all. Even popped out and emptied a few mags at it and couldn't hit it at all.

Does it just have a super small hitbox?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Gish posted:

What's the trick to shooting down caspers drone?
Dosen't happen often but last night we were being hassled by one while tanking and for the life of us couldn't hit it with the top MG at all. Even popped out and emptied a few mags at it and couldn't hit it at all.

Does it just have a super small hitbox?

You have to lead it quite a bit and if the operator is moving erratically it can be hard. Mostly you lead in the direction you think it will go and two-tap with an assault rifle. I have pretty good success shooting them down and periodically look for them just to reduce the number of c5 drones there are

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The hitbox is absurdly small and it'll warp around, so it's extra hard to shoot or even hack instead of being an obvious target.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

the game claims it has slower ADS speed, which if true, would make it very inferior to the k8 and other 1.5x scopes

a smart scope that shows hud info closer to your reticle could be cool but not trading it for ADS speed

its rangefinder could be good maybe on sniper 1.5x in niche situations but it could make your quickscopes worse

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 9, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
of the 'what went wrong with bf2042' vids i think they massively, hugely overstate how much of an impact length of employment matters to, like, anything at all. Maybe if it was ~6 month empoyees, but 2-5 years? they should be plenty up to speed by then. imo that also is dumping a lot of the responsibility of both dice and ea being hugely dysfunctional, motivation sucking, corporate shitholes to work at onto the devs themselves. Dice also has the added issue of having particularly weird in-house leadership, too. Add in how much of a clusterfuck frostbite reportedly has been to work with since basically day one (and ironically one of the big complaints even like a decade ago was that barely anyone knew how to do stuff with frostbite) and yeah no poo poo the final product under-delivers on a ton of features.

the qa issues with the environment being very non-conducive to feedback and with a lot of executive dictated gameplay/design decisions on the other hand hit home a lot more, imo

also lowkey there's a lot of very smart series-typical rock-paper-scissors design in bf2042 that gets buried under or subverted by lovely performance/optimization and really perplexing game/map/operator design decisions. personally I think that a lot of the necessary pieces are there, but the performance issues (seriously you're releasing an fps that runs like poo poo and has substantial input lag because of it and charging $60+ for it in 2021?) and a bunch of the maps being just flat, open fishbowls with little to no cover for significant amounts of several maps is just self-sabotage. I'd say it's lazy, but tbh it seems more like they just badly ran out of time

tldr: i blame the game coming out now and not being left in the over for another 12 months far, far, far more than the devs only being there for a few years. tbh if you remove the operators you've basically just got a modern bf4 with looser classes, I think they actually hit a lot of the bf dna stuff pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it would be cool if :dice: was allowed to finish the obviously incomplete existing maps for PC + current gen consoles but they are economically incentivized not to do so