Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Just popping in to say that I saw the trailer on FB and as someone who loved 2142 second only to 1942, it made me hella excited.

That fighter jet scene was just pure distilled Battlefield. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Bohemian Nights posted:

My hot take as someone who has played thousands of hours of battlefield since codename eagle:

it looks pretty cool

Same. I still read BFV as Battlefield: Vietnam :okboomer:

I think it's a good sign they're using elements from 2142 because it means they recognize it as a good Battlefield and it was. I think it was honestly the best playing Battlefield since 1942. It really refined all the goodness of BF2.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 9, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Titan mode would be an awesome edition, but maybe Capture the Flag is back?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Popete posted:

You know what, just remake Battlefield Vietnam 1:1 with updated graphics and sounds and change nothing else.

I'll settle for bringing back deployable punji sticks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

It's sad that "global warming is real and will continue to create refugees" is a controversial statement. Reminds me of the morons who got mad at the Wolfenstein devs because their game promotes violence against Nazis :lol:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Kentucky Friend Server when?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Aircraft Carrier skins when, DICE?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Remember in 2142 where they had billboards in-game that could show real ads but you could get it to show whatever you wanted by redirecting the IP it used to your local address? They should do that again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

When I was in the Battlefield 1942 modding scene I knew a very talented coder who, for his own fun, combined every mod he found into one Megamod. He showed me pictures of it and it had crazy poo poo like Star Wars Tie Fighters fighting Tiger Tanks with spider legs instead of tracks while an M1 Abrams ran over a medieval knight on horseback and a Pirate Galley laid down anti-aircraft fire.

DICE needs to find that guy and just publish that mod.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I've always used a joystick for flying :shobon:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm a little hyped, but I know it'll only result in my ultimate disappointment.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Orv posted:

My issue with this is if we're moving to 128 players on a map, the already extremely prevalent Battlefield problem of shoot three dudes and be out of ammo for the fourth is gonna get even nastier without extended mags of some kind.

I have not played since BC2, so honest question, but did they remove the ability to pick up kits from dead players in later games?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Has any Battlefield title let alone honestly any FPS game balanced rocket launchers well? How did 2142 balance snipers and rocket launchers? I'm too old to remember :smith:

2142 was great because each class had 2 different primaries to choose from and a handful of gadgets per class. So a sniper had a traditional sniper rifle that wasn't a one hit kill, but you could also spec with a cloaking device that worked super well at distance. So snipers weren't super overpowered but could effectively hang back and move around and take shots at people without instantly being targeted by everyone on the map.

If you wanted to be more of an up-close sniper you could be an engineer with a Pilum anti tank rifle which was an instant kill but the projectile was super slow and visible so you're easy to hunt down after firing.

As such the Pilum was also pretty terrible at anti aircraft fire. You could instead use the rocket launcher with engineer class which had home rockets and we're great AA, but not as damaging, and also worthless with infantry. Although the engineer also got an SMG with it's load out which was pretty good.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Hopper posted:

Yeah it was WW2, but maybe WW2 just isn't a good setting for a BF game if it limits the vehicle options due to "realism".
They should have gone with cyborg woman or whatever that was and gone full one alternate reality instead of giving in to "gamers".

When I first saw the trailer that all the "gamers" hated I was hoping it was going a parallel world approach and we'd get another Spider Tiger :spiderguy:

Would have been rad and refreshing

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Space Jam posted:

The full auto M60 sniper rifle, I forgot about that.

Don't forget about the rendering players at distance bug either, so you had T-posing GIs emerging from the forest to long range MG snipe everyone while Bird Is The Word plays in the distance.

A+ game

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Space Jam posted:

I think a vast majority of the weapons in BF1 were sourced from the Forgotten Weapons youtube channel.

I think Ian McCollum even said he worked with them in some minor capacity

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Titan mode but it's bases on tank treads like the cities in Mortal Engines.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

You vastly overestimate gamers history knowledge. When BF1942 came out people were mad there wasn't a Pearl Harbor map, but nobody batted an eye that the Japanese were using Stg44's.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Alkydere posted:

I dunno about BF2, but 2142 where they introduced dogtags you had to stand a foot or so back. The game actually fired all attacks from a bit ways out from your camera, about where your gun would end from your point of view. So if you shoved your face into someone's rear end your knife attack would spawn on the far side of the person.

Every game through at least 2142 worked that way. It became apparent if you ever knifed a wall because a bullet hole appeared. Honestly I miss long drawn out knife fights instead of the 1-hit-kills that COD seemed to make popular.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I haven't played a Battlefield in a while but are vehicles still capped at 6 occupants? They should definitely double that for the 128 increase. Having APCs and transport craft with lots of people inside would rule.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Planetside 2 could have been a huge hit if they hadn't dumbed down the gameplay from Planetside 1 and then completely stuffed it full of pay-to-win content.

I'm just thankful RTS's are coming back into fashion for now. Maybe one day we'll get another good MMO shooter.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Julius CSAR posted:

I remember when BF 1942 launched moving the carrier would crash the server lol

And in similar fashion, when 2142 launched running the Titans into each other would crash the server!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

EA CEO flat out said Battlefield is going to be a software as a service kind of game now, which I think is what everyone had figured out already with the Portal announcement.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-ceo-you-should-think-of-battlefield-as-a-service

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Nitevision posted:

If you played 1942/BF:V/BF2 you'd remember that they used to have faction-specific weaponry which I think contributed to the atmosphere of those games. I'm not saying the games should be simulations, just that there are pop-cultural conceptions of these historical wars that they didn't capitalize on

I always thought it was really fun to kill an enemy and pickup their kit to use against them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Beans posted:

Jets should remain in the game because seeing jets rip it overhead while dumping flares and missiles and poo poo in the sky looks awesome from the ground.

HOWEVER, jets should have limited direct impact on ground forces. Let jets job be to kill helicopters and vehicles and poo poo but do basically nothing to infantry would be ideal.

Have jets in the game but with no guns, missiles, or bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Here's one of my favorite Battlefield renditions. An elegant song for a more civilized battlefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-3b1DK-4s