Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

I am very excited about this most shooty of mans.

It feels good to be excited about Battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

The trailer was rendered in engine, so thatís what itís gonna look like (more or less) and the gameplay reveal is in a couple of days

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Fart Car '97 posted:

"in engine" has been code word for pre-rendered for a long time.

:rolleyes:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Lmao at people still still jerking off over the A-10

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Alkydere posted:

I'm amazed the thing is still around.

And to be honest, I think people mainly jerk off over the gun. Which to be fair is a gun that deserves to be jerked off too.

Itís super funny because they donít really shoot the gun that much in combat

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

The United States posted:

The thing is the A-10 was reportedly designed for strafing a fulda gap stuffed with advancing soviet armor

No it wasnít. It was designed to shoot them with lots and lots of AGM-65 Mavericks.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Alkydere posted:

I mean it's understandable: the vulcan is a monster and has to be hell on the airframe, and the military has all sorts of other fun toys that can be mounted to the wings. When the Soviets tried to make their own version the guns they built actually had a higher thrust than its engines and can actually put itself in a stall if they fire for too long.

the A-10 uses the Avenger not the Vulcan, and the risk to the airframe is from other people shooting at you because you have to get low and slow to use the gun, not from the gun causing much stress on the airframe itself. That was an issue for the Soviets with the Gsh-6-30, which had to be mounted obliquely on the MiG-27 to compensate for recoil, and caused lots of airframe stress issues, but that was mainly due to how it was mounted externally on the bottom of the aircraft.

As for the stalling out thing, no. Theoretically on the A-10, maybe, but youíd run out of ammo and/or the gun would overheat first.

Keep in mind the MiG-27 is a supersonic jet (as opposed to a VERY subsonic A-10) with variable sweep wings and an engine with an afterburner. Not gun recoil is going to cause that to stall.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

CAS is a mission not a platform and this absolutely dumb as gently caress dude

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

"Reportedly" may be doing a lot of work there but this is absolutely how the justification for the giant gun with wings has been sold to the public for decades

All A10 memes are dumb but I'm pretty sure the dude on the left is not supposed to be correct

Actually the dude on the left is correct though? Answer me this question, what is the point of getting slow on the deck to use a big dumb gun when you can safely and far more effectively drop a 500lb JDAM from 20,000 feet from platform that can respond much quicker and stick around the area far longer than an A-10 can?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Kibayasu posted:

Nah BF4 AA works wonders on pretty much anything that isnít a wunderkind with JDAMs. They certainly nerfed its sniper capabilities with the 30mm and I think the Zuni rocketsí damage also got reduced against tanks but against something in the air itís still good. And even if you find it hard to hit stuff with the cannon, or even if you can, you can equip the passive radar missiles and really make jets mad.

Infantry AA did never worked on jets though thatís for sure.

The 30mm upgrade on the MAA just loving shreds little birds and I love it

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

St. Quentinís Scar is dope

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Whatís really funny about the St Chamond is that the weird handling where it will like, accidentally tip over to one side because of the narrow track base is actually more or less historically accurate

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

gently caress I forgot about Prise de Tahure. Maybe I need to re-install as well

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Ahahah I had totally forgot about this. Stuff like this in 1 was great. I remember the video of the guy who parachuted onto a dreadnought and shot a stick of dynamite with the kolibri to get a kolibri behemoth kill lmao

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Jenny Agutter posted:

Bring back the close quarters maps you cowards

Hell fuckin yeah

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

2 round burst, heavy barrel, and a 4x sight

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Kibayasu posted:

Most will definitely avoid hardcore because their vehicle health wonít regenerate, they wonít have spotting, and wonít have map markings.

Which is crazy because in BF1 if you tap then tap+hold the throttle down button or trigger it will cut the engine and you can just silently glide over the top of the map listening for other aircraft then just roll and pull into a dive on top of them and smoke them in one pass. I mean, it worked for the Red Baron. Hardcore is great for flying in BF1.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

You what should come back? The Aug A3 bug from BF3 where it shot smoke grenades with no bullet drop and you could OHK snipers from all the way across the map

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

priznat posted:

I installed BF4 and man I am terrible at it and the dumbass private server rules suck.

It feels weird not getting CoD hit markers. I have no idea if shots are hitting.

The best thing to do with ďserver rulesĒ is to immediately use the the weapon that they have banned. No stinger/igla? gently caress you duder Iím using that thing.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Yeah, it was a blast hunting the enemy teamís carrier in a submarine. Could get very tense. But there are few battlefield moments quite like putting a full spread into a enemy carrier and then spending the next fifteen minutes trying to clear datum while getting depth charged by an extremely unhappy destroyer guy.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

I could very well be the only person that ever put effort into it. Itís slow, and youíll have a terrible k/d, but itís fun. Just takes quite a bit of patience, which is of course a terrible play style for BF lol.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

NO Baserap

NO Shotgun

NO French

Weíve finally hit peak badmin

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Give us the MG3 you cowards!!!

This looks absolutely dope. I think Jack may be a bit wrong on the WW2 factions though. I think Brits, krauts, AND Americans because there definitely dudes with US pattern helmets and also dudes with doughboy helmets in the trailer.

B-17 is back, canít wait to para drop dudes off the wings behind enemy lines

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Please dice PLEASE let spitfires and BF-109s dogfight around titans while walkers battle Tigers.

Oh hell fuckin yeah

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

edit: lmao wrong thread

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

toggle posted:

Iím only going to play those 2 bf42 maps with proper ww2 weapons and vehicles over and over again so i can create a wormhole that would send me back to 2002 so i can then play bf42 version 1.0 for the first time

Absolutely goddamn right

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

I remember when BF 1942 launched moving the carrier would crash the server lol

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

jisforjosh posted:

It was in a bad enough state to generate an investor lawsuit against EA for misleading on the state and quality the game was in, it was thrown out of course. The game was drat near unplayable for some of my friends to the point where they swore off the series until V and then lmao

Edit: personally I would have to gently caress with Punkbuster almost every other day or else I'd get server disconnects

[! Battlefield 4 Has Stopped Working]

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

https://twitter.com/smash_fakes/status/1418339195202854912?s=20

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Kibayasu posted:

For the scout choppers specifically thereís a couple of related things that combine into a bigger thing. I think the speed of repairs is the biggest factor rather than being able to repair at all. The related factor is that wIth ECM or flares a scout helicopter is guaranteed to have time. ECM and flares arenít a chance to evade a missile but a guaranteed miss.

For BF4 Iíve usually thought that a countermeasure should have been for a specific attack rather than all of them. Flares could stop a lock or hit from heatseekers but do nothing against radar missiles, same for ECM against heatseekers. You could throw in another countermeasure type for lasers like tanks have.

Lol yeah, as an IRL (former) ECM tech the fact that the ECM function on choppers decoys heat seekers just really loving irks me lol

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

ECMs in Battlefield are obviously Everything Counter-Measures, duh

lol, goddamnit

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Chronojam posted:

Bags are incredible and refill everything and they refill your stock instantly. As assault, you can lob infinite AT grenades as shockingly effective indirect fire if you have a guy feeding you pouches. Lots of support players I know run both.

A pouch left on the ground will refill all-class grenades (i.e. gas) as long as it's not collected!

:kstare:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Some of the reload animations were genuinely insane in the level of detail and they must have had a ton of fun making them

https://youtu.be/YBSr3p6iffM

also sometimes just funny

Goddamnit that music does it, in reinstalling BF1

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

I know this is mainly a PC thread but I donít think the console thread is still being posted in.

If any goons have an Xbox and want to play some BF1, my GT is ďCASTLE BR4V0Ē would love to have some friends!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

kri kri posted:

This so much. Been playing BF1 on my xbox and man, great game. Took multiple points using the juggernaut suit or whatever it is. Feels good man.

Whatís your GT? Would love to have someone to revive lol

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

rap music posted:

sidenote: not a big anime head but your av is cool what is that from

Royal Space Force

kri kri posted:

Should be kri kri #1236

I am super sporadic since I have a toddler, but hit me up

Right on Iím up pretty late usually lol.

CASTLE BR4V0 if you didnít see it up thread

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Just started playing BF1 again last night, drat that game is so loving good. Federov FTW

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

jisforjosh posted:

Fairly sure the plane controls in the mission are completely different than multiplayer lol :dice:

I think it uses the same controls, you just canít roll fully inverted, only to like, 60* or something.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Insert name here posted:

Regardless of anything else I'll never not lol at France getting second billing in favour of the US in a fuckin' WW1 game

To be fair the French DLC maps were loving wicked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

Switches Set

Oh hey, any Xbox goons. I will be on around 10:30pm CST this evening with a buddy playing BF1, hit me up if you want a squad