Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Played a little hazard zone last night with a relatively competent team of pubbies. Not sure I understand exactly how the scoring works. We made it to the extraction and at least one of the guys definitely made it out, but the screen said we failed and got squad wiped. But then I still got a bunch of money for data drives?

Had an absolute blast though. We had to fight off some mad max acting rear end bots in a technical and then steal it to barely make it to the extraction, where we will had at least two guys drop. Excellent first time experience, bet it'll be even better with voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

gamer derangement syndrome

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I've only played a little hazard zone, but Irish being able to deploy the cover thingy has saved us a few times we've gotten caught out in the open

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Oh hey, if I steal a dropped enemy gun in hazard mode and escaped, do I keep it or get the cash it's worth? Just had a very quick successful smash and grab and extracted with a sniper rifle I didn't bring in, and don't want to start another match just to test it myself.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Just fyi Irish's barricades can deploy inside moving elevators if you're going up and expect a welcoming party

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the full auto guns are all insanely inaccurate because this game is set after microplastics gave everyone megaparkinsons during the climate apocalypse

getting the vaccine and my body involuntarily judders to the battlefield blown out speakers theme

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

to the battlefield blown out speakers sound:

SUCK-MY
gently caress-ING
PE-NIS

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

goofed around with settings and got myself to a nice steady ~40fps at 1440p, which is about the point at which games feel good and I can't blame losing engagements to low fps. that's on a gtx 1060 and a ryzen 5 3600 6-core, so I'm really glad I didn't have to upgrade anything quite yet. having a lot of fun but still learning the maps. I think I'll feel better about my performance once I learn which areas to stick to as infantry vs where I gotta be rolling in armor to make a difference.

edit: oh hey question, does anyone know if there's a way to make the fire select indicator show up all the time or in a way other than ADSing? I switch modes a lot depending on engagement range and it kills me not being able to see at a glance

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 17, 2021

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Do you mind posting your settings? I'm using an RX 5700 XT and a Core i7-9850H and struggling to get 30fps consistently at Medium settings at 1920x1080. The GPU is an eGPU over Thunderbolt, but that normally has ~5% impact on fps.

I got the config file from this video and turned everything to low. https://youtu.be/ysCTNdPbweo The big dumb thing I should've known to do myself was turn off origin overlay in-game. It's been a long time since I launched origin so it just didn't cross my mind

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

im not mad about the only job being working at the CAPTCHA factory to help ranger drones get better at killing. in fact i think it's funny, I'm actually laughing

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

BF2042 envisions a world where the menace of crypto mining was allowed by president xi to rampage unchecked

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

hello internet posted:

I'm being facetious but I just remember dedicated servers always having varying stupid rules you had to navigate to play the dang game.

I swear if I see you moving anywhere at faster than a tactical crouch walk ur rear end is grass

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'll wait for the Crowbcat video

y'all just making up fake streamer names now

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

lmao y'all weren't playing about the PP smg, this thing is bananas. gonna enjoy it while it lasts

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

You should always be able to call in like, a flimsy dirt bike on a 60 second cooldown

edit: don't even give it a passenger spot and don't allow c4 to stick to it, so it's strictly so you never get stuck walking forever

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Battlelog was really good eventually tho

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Played around with the little pistol carbine secondary and had a good time

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

bellows lugosi posted:

once i figured out my performance/packet loss issue (lmao my ram was running single channel and couldn't handle the game) it runs like butter for me and folks, the game is good as hell, just purestrain battlefield.

hmm how did you check out the ram thing, I'm dumb and want to make sure mine is doing it right

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

quote:

The most and only important part of this game is talking poo poo, and talking poo poo with the focus, cunning, and determination of a fox hunted by dogs. Squad organization and the team mechanic are false constructions meant to distract you from the One True Purpose of Battlefield: Grinding profanities out of your keyboard like a coke-crazed pole cowboy until gameplay stops and the chat window convulses with loathing. Every second you spend playing this game is a second you've lost on puking vitriol over its community. The only acceptable justification for your participation in a round is killing bad guys; every moment somebody is dead is another moment they're forced to pay attention to your bullshit. For this reason you should never revive teammates.

Celebrate every kill by reminding your victim that they could've spent this time in the company of a loved one. Run into a corner and prone first so they can tell that you're typing. Subtly imply that they play video games so much because they secretly hate themselves and yearn to escape from their lives. If they kill you back, state this explicitly, then assert that they invest themselves into children's games because they crave ego-death and are too cowardly to pursue a fulfilling sexual experience or suicide. Remind them that KDR is irrelevant to the actual structure of the game, and the developers only instituted tracking of it in obeisance to our crude animal fear of domination. If your KDR is higher, add that you justify this fear, and that in a primal setting you would collapse their brainpan with your teeth. Pause briefly to note that fear of defilement after death is nothing more than a shadow cast on the wall of the human psyche by the blinding, hideously bright knowledge of our own mortal inconsequentiality, before continuing to describe in detail the crude zoomorphic rituals you would subject your opponent's corpse to in a pre-agricultural setting.

Take note when you earn a nemesis ribbon and write beautiful erotica detailing the carnal adventures you imagine sharing with your victim. Anoint yourself a priest in a Dionysian mystery cult and then loudly announce your intention to gay marry jets by ramming them. Prepare elaborate epitaphs for snipers before you knife them; afterwards, carry on long simulated conversations with them about how stupid they are, using quotation marks to indicate their responses. Post-script all such conversations with "Wait, how am I talking if I'm loving dead?" If you successfully run somebody over with a MAV, spend a minute making robot sounds and questioning whether or not sufficiently advanced computers have souls. Ask your victims if they will dream while you make exaggerated tea-bagging motions over their corpse by flying up and down.

Erratically and interchangeably quote Mussolini and Eugene V. Debs. Turn on thermal optics in the Viper and then splice footage of you base-camping Wake into an Iraq Mudvayne war crime montage. Put that on YouTube and whistleblow it to Julian Assange's gmail account. Cold read the room until you find out the name of somebody's dead grandmother, then channel her spirit through your keyboard to mock their KDR and make debased sexual claims about their ancestry. Put an IRNV on your gun and spend the whole round making clicking noises and repeating things other people say while alternating capslock. Unironically solicit contributions for Jon Huntsman's presidential campaign. Do literally anything without irony.

Strip naked on nights of the full moon and scream your hatred for mankind into the sky. This will have no direct effect on Battlefield players, but the poisonous qi you release into the universe will bring nightmares to children and kill flowers half a world away, lessening the joy of others by a commensurate but ultimately exponential amount. Kidnap Korean War veterans and subject them to hour-long knife kill montages until they have nervous breakdowns. Tell them that this is the face of modern war. Deliberately mislead children into believing unsustainable things. Provoke the manager of the Battlefield Twitter feed into an argument about electoral fraud in modern Russia, then question the morality of releasing a game depicting non-nuclear industrial warfare between two superpowers as entertainment. Tell him that you no longer enjoy Bad Company 3 and offer to mail him a copy of ArmA.

Trigger another fight about Stinger utility in-game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Played a portal match that was one team as fast guys with knives and the other team unrestricted, and us knife guys were just annihilating the regular soldiers, it was a completely stupid blast

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

As I've gotten older, one thing I've started enjoying is just observing other players doing what they do. Sometimes I'll follow a random player or ride along in the passenger seat of a pubbie driven vehicle, not for transportation or anything but just to see where they're going and what they're trying to do. Sometimes you see some really fascinating stuff and have to wonder what their thought process is.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hopefully the dlcs gradually ramp up the futuristic bullshit. I want something completely stupid, like a stationary laser gun that barely works but cuts planes in half and blinds the user

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

lol I didn't even know bots showed up in anything but hazard zone

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

They occupy the empty player slots until the server fills up in other modes

I've never joined a game in progress, it's always from the beginning and it's always all players. Do I have some weird setting turned on that everybody else doesn't? Matchmaking has been so streamlined I just push button play game

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Scarf Ace posted:

nah you probably just play less/mostly in peak hours. only times ive encountered bots in eu has been very late night, like 4 or 5 am

Oh ok, I'm in US Central and never play past like midnight so that explains it

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

boy you can really reach out and ruin someone's day with the scar. The weapons are starting to feel really good now that I've got some attachment options to really lean into their strengths

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

quote:

Increased close range damage and consistency of the MCS-880 when using Buckshot Shell or Flechette Shells

Hell yeah, I had been bummed out by how bad the pump shotgun was. Also cool that they're removing rooftop points only in breakthrough, since they're pretty fun in conquest

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

What's up with the "smart scope" does it do anything special?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Range finder and ammo count in scope.

Ok that's kinda neat, a little faster than pinging to get range

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Played around some with the futuristic burst rifle some, I really dig it. Silencer with subsonic ammo takes a lot of the punch out of it but you can really take your time with follow-up shots since nobody will know where you are.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I wish they had some more goofy futuristic bullshit like predator style thermal/emf vision, or a vehicle with a cloaking device. I'm sure we'll get stuff like that over the game's life cycle, I just wish they'd gone a little sillier with it right out the gate

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Looking ahead and some unlocks, it looks like there's a "heavy" silencer that seems to do nothing but make the firepower even lower than the regular silencer???

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

98 hours obvi

You joke but that sounds about right for my progression. I've put right at 50 hours in and am around 50

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I asked around and apparently the normal suppressor lowers your damage a bit, maybe .95x, while the heavy suppressor is like .9x
Normal suppressors keep you from being spotted when you fire until X distance ie if it's 20m, you can fire at 21m and stay hidden but if you are within 19m of the enemy you will be revealed on the minimap. No idea what the actual distance is though. Heavy suppressors keep you off the minimap no matter how close you are to the enemy.

Oh interesting, thanks for looking into that! That's a neat little tactical depth that I really want to see in a game, and I wish the game spelled it out for you lol. That makes me wonder if the different under barrel grips that seem to do the same thing actually have minor differences!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Just keeping lobbies together after every round would be a lot of good will

I played a bunch of rush (or maybe breakthrough, can't remember but it was one of those because we were defenders every game) and I had the same team and squad like 5 games in a row

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Isn't Rush in Portal? Those stay together since it's a "server" technically compared to a continuously new spun up instance that All out Warfare modes do

ah yeah that makes sense

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I haven't looked at the portal options at all, could you put together like a squad deathmatch mode?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I realized the other day that the Bolte comes with antitank mines.

I love laying mines in every battlefield and I already have so many kills with the Bolte mines.

it's a lot of fun to blast past a tank without slowing down but dropping a bunch of mines knowing they can't resist chasing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I don't like the hero system because I literally only play angel, since there's no other way to give yourself armor between every engagement aside from wasting your gadget slot on the armor plate. A squirrel suit or sentry gun would be nice, but I feel like that 20 points of armor is the deciding factor so often when I can't avoid a fair 1 v 1 infantry shootout.