Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

The make or break for me will be if the guns feel more like 3 and 4 than 1 and 5. After Battlefront 1 came out something seems to have fundamentally changed with how they make their guns shoot/bullet travel time, everything from that point on just felt like star wars blaster bolts flying through the air very slowly instead of nice and snappy gunfire like before 2015. Battlefront 2 felt alright, so I'm hopeful.

BF1 has the best feeling gunplay of any Battlefield I think. The Level 1886 infantry felt like the perfect bolt action rifle, plus the Howell automatic was one of the best medic rifles in the game. I mained as a PTFO scout in BF1 and I don't know if any other BF will have the same feeling as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Qmass posted:

before bf1 gun combat always felt terrible in battlefield games (and foot movement felt icy and unresponsive) it was a big step up IMO.

While I agree Bf1 was a huge step up, I think the biggest improvement was BC2. I played BF1942, BF2, & BF Vietnam and they all had terrible gunplay (I never played 2142 but I imagine it had the same pitfalls of the original game), and it wasn't until BC2 that I felt like the game could stand up to other FPS games like COD in terms of shooting. BF3 & 4 were each better which led to BF1, which I still think is the king of FPS games, mostly because I'm extremely good at BF1.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Am I the only person who likes the entry/exit animations? I like the opportunity to kill someone who decides to be a tank lord. I am also a weirdo who refuses to use vehicles because I'm way better as infantry.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I think Ian McCollum even said he worked with them in some minor capacity

He wrote the weapon descriptions that are in the game

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
BF1 owns

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Look closer at what happens at 7 seconds.

This, its easy to miss but sure as hell noticed it when playing.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
RTX seems like kind of waste in a multiplayer focused Battlefield. I'll take a stable framerate with screen space reflections and SSAO over ray tracing. Ray tracing is cool and shines in Metro Exodus enhanced edition, but its clear they made a ton of cutbacks to make it run at 60 fps on xbox, I'd rather have a focus on visual clarity and frame rate over bells and whistles. No reason to not offer it on high end PCs though.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Metro Exodus regular or Enhanced Edition? The bounce lighting in the EE is absolutely bonkers and definitely changes a lot

Enhanced Edition doesn't even have a baked lighting solution, its ray tracing only. It really does make a huge difference.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
20 headshots with the MP18 optical and shooting down 2 planes in a round with an LMG were both frustrating bullshit challenges, though I did complete the first one. I tend to just completely ignore challenges that I find irritating because it just isnt worth it.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

I finally got Battlelog to work for a minute and saw that I'm in Division 1 in the world for a bunch of stuff, revives, repairs, even LMG kills, then I discovered that "Division 1" means a number anywhere between 1,000 and infinity, so I'm still bad. I do have ~4,500 M249 kills, I guess I was pretty good at that for a while

This made me wonder what my most used BF1 weapon was and I have 4,500 kills with the Lebel infantry plus 2,000 frommer stop kills. That combo was so fun to run and gun with.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
If the rumors of a mode with old battlefield maps, weapons, and vehicles and a Tarkov mode hold true then the all out warfare mode they announced might be my least played part of 2042.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
So they aren't showing off hazard zone today? That's a bummer

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'd be impressed if they manage to add 2 maps to the base game plus 2 portal maps each season. I can't imagine how much space this game will eventually take up on my hard drive.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

codo27 posted:

If it is in fact a hdd and not a solid state, you can look forward to 3 week loading times per map

I'm on Series X so it is solid state but only 880 gigs

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
And it had civil war maps too

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Didn't you like the loving terrible night vision sniper rifle that took up half your screen and has basically no visibility in the scope?

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
One of the reasons BF1 is better than BFV is AT rockets. One of my favorite moments of BF1 is nailing some poor fucker on B from D with an AT rocket. Felt real good.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Well Hazard Zone sure sounds an awful lot like Tarkov, which I'm 100% on board for.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

No thank you

I would have agreed if it wasn't extremely fun to grab the sentry elite and lockdown the church with just one pocket medic. Last game I had on Tsaritsyn started with a 44 kill streak just by doing that.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Grondoth posted:

As a Skylord, I had basically no competition for spawning in my vehicle of choice, the stealth jet.

Except for snipers. Who would grab that thing, fly it off somewhere and bail out so they could constantly miss their shots instead of doing anything useful.

Hmm sounds like that sniper was doing everyone a favor

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
People who get mad about console aim assist are extremely weird. Console games without any aim assist are loving terrible imo. Hell Let Loose just came out on consoles and if you believe reddit having a slight aim assist that slows down your reticle is a war crime. Whatever aim assist BF2042 has it won't be better than using a mouse and keyboard no matter how many morons on reddit whine.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
BF1 is my favorite of the series since BC2 but I will have none of this BFV apologia. BFV was and still is tepid garbage. BFV's biggest sin is that it never actually felt like a WW2 game, which the pacific maps only partially rectified. You can talk poo poo about BF1 not having the French or the eastern front but at least they added them in some excellent DLC. They had Russian assets they could have easily ported over to BFV and they couldn't even manage that. I played a few matches of 2042 on series x and couldn't get past the dogshit shooting, how did they manage to go from the satisfying gunplay of BF1 to the sloppy turd guns in 2042? I've gone from definite purchase to hesitant about even picking it up on sale. Hopefully hazard zone is cool.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'm worried that every map will be too large, even for 128 players. The arctic map is supposed to similar in size as Vikendi in PUBG, a map meant for 100 players in a BR. That's a bit excessive, like 3 or 4 Hamada's. I really don't think spending most of my time running between objectives is super engaging, the best maps in BF1 were smaller, like Amiens.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I really do not like the default AR, it just felt like I was tickling people with it. It just felt awful to use.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I tried portal and it seemed cool but I could not change attachments on my guns. I would select the attachment I wanted and it would not allow me to confirm. I had a partial workaround where I could move the attachment I wanted to be the default but that was hit and miss.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

After playing a bit more I think my two biggest issues are still the gunplay and the maps.

Shooting on console feels fundamentally lovely and unfun - it's sluggish, floaty, and the lack of aim assist (which apparently Dice said they fixed and just lied about in true Dice fashion) make it basically impossible to kill anyone past 30 meters or so with anything but the DMR or sniper rifle. Even with controlled bursts I can empty half a mag into someone at a distance and have them turn around and beam me with a DMR. Searched around to see if it was just me and there's a thread on Reddit demonstrating that not only is the recoil some of the most punishing of any modern FPS, there is also pretty substantial bloom, crazy spread, and bad hit registration.

Agreed, I think the M4A5 or whatever is nearly unusable garbage. The first match I played I emptied clips into people at mid range and never actually killed anyone. It felt so bad. I swapped to the sniper and was actually able to kill people. I also found vehicles to be way too powerful in breakthrough. There are so many tanks and it took so many rockets to kill them. Then there's the hovercraft who just ran me over multiple times just after I spawned with no repercussion.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Did DICE just lift the gunplay from early Battlefield games where it sucked poo poo? I remember the shooting in BF2 was poo poo but didn't care because everything else was so good. If only that were true here.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Remind me: what was the fad chase in BF1? I feel like one was there, but I don't remember it.

Incursions

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

lol I never even heard of this despite BF1 being my favorite modern BF.

It landed like a wet fart. No one was excited for a 5v5 game mode and it died really fast.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I remember someone from DICE saying they'll never make as many maps as they did for BF1. BF1 had a few clunkers but overall the maps were so much better than anything in BFV or 2042. poo poo the best BF1 map, Fort Vaux, was a DLC map and it just feels like DICE doesn't understand what people actually liked about BF1. That sentiment goes along with them saying they don't know why people liked Bad Company 2.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I've never understood the PC players who complain about aim assist, like do they expect to win every single engagement no matter what? I've never found aim assist to be strong enough to overcome the inherent disadvantage that controllers have over keyboard & mouse. The biggest problem with console & PC crossplay is dealing with cheaters on PC as a console player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I tried this game again after not enjoying the early access week and uhh, im having fun? The shooting feels miles better than it did at release and you can do fun crazy poo poo, especially with the wingsuit.