Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Tell me which server to favorite on PS4 and I'll be there

I'm down af for this. Just re-downloaded BF4 the other day. Hoo-boy am I bad at this now. PSN is dog_nougat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Any decent pilot will also be able to juke or train the missile into an obstacle.

Also yeah the shotguns are really drat sad coming back to BF4 from BF1

Saiga w/ frag rounds is still my jam. It's a total dumb gimmick loadout, but still pretty fuckin fun to run around with. Shotguns suck rear end anyway, so just suppress the gently caress outta dudes. The splash damage can be surprisingly effective for corners. You really need to hit body shots to do any real effective damage and will be outclassed pretty drat fast by basically anything else. You'll also burn through ammo like crazy, so either run around as a shotgun support, hope you have a competent support player, or just rely on dying a lot to restock your ammo.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Going back to 4. Finally remembering how to play a bit and at least mostly maintain a positive k/d. The big thing that stands out is how washed out everything looks. Like it's surprisingly difficult to see a drat thing.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah the game definitely benefits from ReShade/SweetFX/Nvidia Filters for seeing people

Unfortunately I'm on ps4, so not a drat thing I can do about it. Just permanently stuck with the default horrible contrast settings.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

I think I'm just incapable of playing BF4 again

:yossame:

My muscle memory and map memory is loving shot. I just want chill-rear end multi-player at this point.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

There's really no other way than as a Random Battlepack Drop to get a Silencer for some weapons in BF4? What a garbage rear end system.

It's been years, so I don't recall 100%, but there should be a set of default unlocks for all weapons, suppressors included

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol really, a pearl harbor map?

Japanese just have a bunch of planes, and the US is stuck with ships unable to move and no ammo?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Repair tool kills are never not fun. I loved just finding a good hiding spot w/ an ammo crate nearby and just tooling around in the eod bot and flanking and torching dudes. Extra fun killing the occasional unaware vehicle.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Vagabong posted:

Weapons being tied to class meant that you'd get at least some variety from people messing around with other weapons.

Yeah, I'm hoping they implement some sort of weight, tier, or point based pool to limit dudes running around with assault rifles, rockets, and explosives

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Chivalry 2 also added bots for basically the same purpose, and it works surprisingly well. It's pretty fun to throw yourself into a mob of those and just go wild tearing them apart. The key point there is that they're visually distinctive, so you can tell ahead of time whether you're dealing with chaff or an actual player threat.

I wish it was possible to give myself a bot outfit for chiv2 :ninja:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I kinda wanna preorder this, but what the gently caress's up with the insane pricing? Like $30 more to get to okay the game a week early and some cosmetic items seems weak af. I know it gives me the ps4(lol) and ps5 version of the game as well, but it seems kinda ridiculous. I def wanna play it when it comes out. Getting in on the ground floor when everyone sucks, nobody knows the maps, and they haven't unlocked every single thing months ago is usually when I have the most fun playing Battlefield games. That's probably why I bounced off 1 so hard. I played it years after release and just got wrecked constantly by people who had played for 100s of hours.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just do 128 player frontlines. It's the best game mode anyway.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Alkydere posted:

The best fun in Conquest is deciding you don't want to play Musical Chairs anymore and deciding that you will take, hold and defend a point. This gets even more fun if the point you decide is the one closest to the enemy team's uncappable, enraging them. Additional multipliers applied for each friend, or squad of goons, you bring to this activity.

I still prefer the attack/defend modes though because the game hands you the action and chaos on a platter. Though those have the highest potential for the worst map design (Yes I'm talking about you, loving bunkers beneath the giant mountain canons in the "Italians Feel Bad About Themselves" maps in BF1).

Yeah, some of my best times in 4 were defending the southern most island point on paracel storm with 4 other goons. The floodzone map or whatever was pretty fun too, but it doesn't show up too often anymore. Loved running around as the US in that map w/ the aav and just grenade laucher spamming everywhere. It was fun to just chill in it and wait for squads of pubbies to just ignore it and open up on them once they were too close to run away or hide :allears:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sunday at work posted:

Bring back no time limit Front Lines.

:hmmyes:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's cheaper to rent servers with a lower refresh rate

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
If they include more of the outside areas I'm all for metro. At least BFV's had enough flanking routes to make the map semi playable/not a complete and utter slog to play through. If they can incorporate those changes it'll at least be alright.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Did they ever add server rentals to bf5?

No. One of the final patches finally allowed custom servers that stayed up as long as it was populated.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

The jeeps better all have horns

The jeep in Jurassic World doesn't have a horn and man you really feel its absence

Was it bf3 or 4 that launched without jeep horns?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sweet! BF1 was pretty dead last time I tried playing, somewhere near the end of BFV's update cycle. Gonna try installing it on my PS5 to see if I get any boost from the faster SSD. Not expecting any miracles, but sub 1 minute load times would be nice.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

I forget the name but isn't there a battlefield-scale medieval combat game for Xbox/PC at least? Mount and blade or chivalry or something

Chivalry 2 is on consoles now, and there's also some game I know next to nothing about called for honor that looks like it probably involves medieval weapons.

Chiv is sorta Battlefield-esque in so much as there are objectives and pubbies such at them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I like playing tdm in bfv (I know) as support and setting up with a mmg on the buildable cover that overlooks the long avenue that looks down on the square and med point, with the sandbag fortification around the corner. It's surprisingly defensible. Garners a shitload of resupply and suppression points. People tend to throw themselves at the impromptu machine gun nest.

Edit: I like playing support in bfv and role playing setting up a little MG nest in uncommon places with good overwatch and solid lane(s) of fire.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 15, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

The United States posted:

New Wildcat APC footage, appears to have a chaingun and anti-air missiles and it predictably gets owned by attack helis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mozo0nJsoJs

I dunno if owned is really right here. Looks like the driver of the AA apc just sucks tbh.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I mean bf3 is on playstation (3) and runs like dogshit. It's less than 30fps to be sure. The server browser doesn't seem to work either, but there are still active servers available through quick match. Hard to believe I played like 600 hours of it on ps3 tbh.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It still crashes on ps4 years later. It's certainly not nearly as bad as at launch, but it's still there. Way back when it was still the current battlefield I was working on getting the plat trophy and collecting all the dogtags or whatever in the campaign. Literally as I had collected the last one, the game crashed and corrupted my save. I had to download an old save from the cloud and promptly gave up on attempting that ever again.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

I mean all of these things are literally attachments, as in you...

attach...

them...

when you need them.

Plus in BF4 I certainly had situations where I wish I could get rid of my 6x scope on my DMR or similar things. I'm all for it.

Yeah, it looks pretty cool imo. Haven't spent too much time watching how it works, but it'd be cool if changing certain accessories took different amounts of time. Like swapping mag sizes should be pretty fast compared to switching out optics or adding a suppressor to a weapon.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yes

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
On the fence about pre-ordering. Guess I'll wait till the beta drops to see how I feel about it. The stupid "1 week early access" is a trend that needs to die though. I know it gives you season 1 (year 1 as they call it) content. Has there been any word on the pricing of season/year content yet? An extra $30 to play a week early and have the gaas content seems a bit much tbh. I just wanna play a fun BF game again.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Charles 1998 posted:

Sniper fire puts pressure on enemies since they usually can't engage back, and have change their method of attack. They can also engage at unique angles at longer ranges that makes it more difficult for infantry to seek refuge. Sniper harassment can get to a point where an entire squad or vehicle will redirect their efforts to engage lone sniper, while the rest of the snipers team can engage the objectives. Half of points in a conquest game from kills, and snipers typically have a higher K/D ratio. There's also counter sniping, too.

Having less diversity means it's easier for the enemy team to counter you. If they're being engaged by snipers, assault, and support classes, it becomes more of a challenge than just assault and support.

A recon/sniper that uses the class gadgets effectively is far better and more effective for the team than some useless wookie hiding in a bush taking occasional potshots at dudes for sick long distance headshots. In bf4 running a tugs, spawn beacon, a 3.5-4x scope on a bolt action rifle, and an automatic pistol backup was a super effective loadout. It's far more helpful to your squad and team than someone just sitting at the edge of the map.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
PKP :getin:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whelp. Decided to pre-order this on ps5. Excited to play some dumb Battlefield shootymans again.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just got a round in on PS5. Overall it's pretty fun. Kinda janky, but not too bad. My biggest gripe so far is I can't see what the controls are in the options menu. For some inexplicable reason helicopters ascend and decend with the left stick and I hate it. Give me my og bf3 helicopter controls plz. There's no way to tell what I'm changing a single thing to unfortunately.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Beta fun. Robo dog and Carl Gustav cool as hell

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone else have issues doing gunnery while in someone else's land vehicle? That stutters like crazy for me. Everything else seems smooth

Yeah, was just in a tank and it was stuttering like crazy.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Played around a bit more and like it. Feels like bf4 but not stuck in the mud. The tornado thing is loving weird and I wish they would've just kept levolution instead. Interested to see how it is with an actual squad vs just loving around solo. Helicopters are nigh unflyable with whatever dumb-rear end control scheme they opted for on console/controllers, so that's a bit of a bummer since I like being a transport pilot.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Lol. Nice

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What do you need to do to start the rocket launch? Or does it just happen automatically?

According to this vid it happens at random, however you can blow it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1fxKKRqcas

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/Cocklepuss/status/1446195363204014081?t=TONqmtweKs42eMnou75reQ&s=09

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Have to say it loving owns that wookie balls are back

:yeah:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Charles 1998 posted:

I went back and tried Battlefield V and Battlefield 1. Every feature from previous games has been downgraded in Battlefield 2042. Every new feature in 2042 just makes the game more fast paced and less team oriented. This whole game is just a straight downgrade for me. Cancelled my pre-order.

Perfect. One less idiot sniper on a hill wasting tickets. Tyvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I dunno. While I'd certainly prefer faction specific characters or skins I've gotten pretty good (for me) at identifying friend from foe based off the IFF markers in game. There's still a little over a month until the game drops for real and I really want to believe that dice and whoever else are more competent than making a team shooter where all player models are the same.