Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Sir this is the Battlefield thread

I don't like vehicles either. My solution for years has been lots of C4, rockets, mines and of course limpets.

I loving loved limpets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bring back Noshahr canals TDM with the M5K or the slug SPAS-12 :colbert:

And the entire Close Quarters expansion. It was really fun to lay out C4 on a point and wait for the enemy clapping alert.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As soon as they fixed the skyscraper crashing the server, I always took it down with C4 unless my team had a good hold of it. Waiting halfway the tickets to destroy it means that most pubbies will be confused about what will their new high camping spot, usually meaning empty points to capture.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Did CS Source die or become the standard? When I quit it was still very different in some ways

Got replaced by CS Global Offensive.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LLo9AhvWE

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can find, at least in Europe, more than enough servers and plenty of new people. But this has been a trend since BF4 got released on steam and usually on sale for 9.99€ (premium edition is the only one on Steam). Then giving the game for free for Amazon Prime (Prime Gaming/Twitch) added even more.

Titanfall 2 got more players since the steam release and that is awesome too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

Bring back the close quarters maps you cowards

:hmmyes: Close Quarters owned in BF3

Skyarb posted:

Quoting an opinion born of ignorance

Turn your monitor on

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hello, I'm the player that won't give up my ammo pack, even if :dice: gives me a tactical nuke on demand. Top resupplies every round, on every Battlefield game.

Always more DAKKA.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Posting this classic again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud07R5yvZPM

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hopper posted:

I never understood Metro. It just caters to the "muh K/D" crowd and is the least BF of all BF maps. No vehicles and all just tunnels. It sucks in every iteration.

Yeah, never got that. The best map was Noshahr Canals TDM 24/7 :q:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played quite a bit of BF1942 and BF2 (and iirc only 3-4 hours of 2142) but mostly because I was back in the days in a FPS clan (MoHAA, CoD1 and BF1942). When BF2 launched the 1942 team swapped so I got it. But being honest, never liked it as the actual shooting was horrible and when dolphin diving became common it was a chore. Playing on a custom server with decent admins made the game bearable (for me of course) as at least would keep cheaters away.

Bad Company 2 was the turning point for me. It felt the first BF I liked more than the current CoD in terms of moment to moment for an infantry player. As much as I liked BF4 I couldn't play it until they started making it playable by december 2013, almost 3 months after release so BF3 will still remain as the better one. BF3 also had really good expansions that added a lot of variety and I liked Battlelog. Hell, I even played a lot of the co-op missions to grind the unlocks before they cut the grind by 75% or so :v:

I got late in BF1 and was because I picked it up for super cheap on PS4 and later on got it on PC thanks to goon Riflen who gifted me his old 780Ti (my old GTX960 wasn't enough for it). BFV was just a mess that ran worse and worse with each patch until it was just a headache trying.

Basically my only nostalgia for the series is Bad Company 2 and BF3. I like to play BF4 from time to time because is easier than trying to make Battlelog work and there are more servers but that's it. BFV killed my desire to play a new Battlefield from launch. My PC is fairly old and even with my actual 1080Ti (Riflen again :3:) I don't think it'll run well enough aaaand, nu:dice: doesn't inspire me confidence after the debacle of the last game. If they make it a crossplay tittle, I'll end slapping a mouse and keyboard on a PS5 or Xbox Series X as it'll be cheaper than just try to get a beefy PC for a single game as 80% of my PC gaming is retro shooters and old stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Philman posted:

A 1080Ti should be fine for 2042. BFV should be fine with that card too.

Not with an i7 2600k as CPU. BFV is already too much for it. And yes, I'm not complaining that the game is CPU heavy because all BF games were. But I don't plan on upgrading any time soon when all games I play on PC run fine like Doom Eternal on high capped at 120fps or any retro shooter.

Who knows, maybe nu:dice: makes an optimized game that runs fine on my PC even on low settings but even after that, I personally will wait months to get the game, cheaper when a lot of the stuff gets fixed (or not).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

riflen give this poor man a new cpu

Nah! I'll probably get a new motherboard/cpu/ram next year but again, I rather play Demon's Souls remastered.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Philman posted:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52214/intel-core-i7-2600k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

2011 :11tea:

it's a champ of a CPU but time moves on. DOOM is just the exception to the rule. I think you'll be at sub 60 FPS with 2042. I wouldn't completely write it off as unplayable.

Later in BFV's lifecycle they added a setting to lower the amount of processor intensive objects. lowering that might help. Future frame rendering and G-sync can make a big difference to how smooth the game feels too.

Yeah I know, I built my i7 2600k along with a 560Ti and 8Gb DDR3 during summer 2011 to be ready for BF3 :3:

I'll keep it tho, even if I build a new PC this champ will stay running until it dies. But no, I'm not going to install BFV even to try that new setting when I can just play any of the other good BF games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

can't have your expectations dashed if they didn't exist to begin with

In real news though

Hildur Guðnadóttir, the composer for Prisoners, Sicario, The Revenant, Arrival, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Joker, and Chernobyl is doing the soundtrack for BF2042 and posted the main theme today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytcxmBT9Ls

Kind of digging it, it's familiar but distorted and dark. Much like our future

Matter of taste but I do not like it at all. Too much distortion. It doesn't feel like someone can make a great 'Battlefield moment' video and get away with it like the contest they ran with BF3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Compare 2042's theme to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpHm8kfVa4

Hell, even BF3 theme is miles ahead of the new one and I may consider BF4's acceptable now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Going to mute the music for the first time ever in a BF game :ughh:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

The best BF menu music is the first Bad Company’s lounge music that was mainly piano and Hammond organ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4uWbhTXTHg

Bad Company also had an entire surf radio music to tune when driving around on a fuckin' golf cart.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Leaked Battlefield 2042 loading screen music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZZEfrRbdw

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Obligated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oyno-URluQ

:smith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BF3 Close Quarters DLC ruled :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

When it was first released the default hip fire accuracy was so good that adding a laser made hipfire more accurate than aiming. It only became slightly worse after it was adjusted.

It's probably the smallest non-pistol weapon in the series and I miss it dearly.

Yeah but then they buffed its damage to make it even better.

I'll take the brainworms tag but I loved Noshahr Canals TDM with the M5K or the SPAS-12 with slugs. If recons got to the crane, shotgun frag round spam to get them down. That map was nice for some warmup and unlocking stuff for weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

What the gently caress is gameplay sabotage

Using shotguns or having fun by reddit standards.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BC2 had the best combination of Assault class having ARs with underslung launchers and ammo box so you could smoke your own wookies from far away. That or leveling an entire building to kill them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

afkmacro posted:

Stop complaining about snipers, it's really not that big of deal and neither is winning or losing, none of this matters. All that matters is METRO 24/7 NO EXPLOSIVES FAST UNLOCK XP+++++

No Noshahr Canals TDM 24/7 no deal :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can understand his point, he's still 1998. Wait until he gets to 2021 and has to carry a bunch of useless pubbies that barely get a few kills during a map. Give him some time, snipers weren't even a thing yet!