Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Iím going to do some wild speculation but with a name like ďHazard ZoneĒ and it being ďsquad basedĒ that suggests to my Gamer Instincts some kind of quasi-survival situation with an ever-present environmental threat, not a closing ring like BR games but just something which constantly drains a specific resource, and mildly limited other things like ammo and health. 2-4 squads will have to complete some random objective in the middle-ish of a map, they wonít necessarily have the exact same one in the exact same place, and then leave. With bots apparently being in the main multiplayer there may be some around to make you shoot them so you make noise and alert other players. You donít technically have to shoot other squads but, come on, youíre going to. Basically something along the lines of Survival mode in Division 1, Tarkov, or Hunt Showdown. More points for time taken, players alive, players killed, etc.

Al-Saqr posted:

Who the gently caress plays battlefield for the campaign

I would if it was, you know, good. Mindlessly blasting through a series of scripted explosions can be fun. There have been good parts of BF campaigns - the tank levels in BF3 (until the level where you have to die) come to mind - and Bad Company 2 rockets along on the strength of its comedy and sound design but otherwise yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

All I request is the ability to turn small vehicles into rolling bombs once again.

I had something like 8,000 jihad C4 kills in BF4. It was so satisfying and relaxing tracking down tanks and then bailing at the last second.

The people who complain about C4 attacks are the vehicle equivalent of snipers on a hill. They just want to sit somewhere risk free and shoot at infantry with their 1 hit kill weapon. And in the case of vehicles you donít have to worry about being 1 hit kill back and donít even have to land headshots.

Heck I made a point about getting good with the MAA in BF4 so I was constantly looking up into the sky and not being able to see things coming at me. It was just as much fun dealing with C4 attacks when they happened as it was shooting the jets. I typically died to someone on an ATV once so at that point I knew someone was around doing it, and then it became an awesome game of cat and mouse. I had to keep an eye out for ATVs out in the distance, thinking if they were going for me or just driving to a point, look at the main map all the time in case someone spotted an ATV and it was out in the middle of nowhere (like say it was trying to hide from a tank for as long as possible). They had to think about the routes they would take to try and get as close as possible before being obvious. Maybe they had to wait until they knew I was shooting at a jet or when I was running away from something else that started shooting me. There were a few rare times some dedicated C4íers even accused me of cheating because I saw them coming too often which is always a feeling.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The First World War feels like something Battlefield could only do once. Or at least once for a fairly long time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Calling it now, that tornado will be the most annoying thing in the game if dice can actually figure out how to program it.

Speculation, dragging bodies in BF5 did whatever the tornado is going to do and thatís why we never got it in 5. For 2042 they figured out how to put a tornado texture over the effect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Itís an outside chance but I hope they use some parts of the ďclassic modeĒ rules from BF4 as the default for 2042. Bringing those rules in so late in BF4 means they never got a real chance.

I donít really have any issues with the regular rules but having a bit more structure to the team game without needing to lose 40% of your health in hardcore was nice.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I havenít ever really cared about customization and I doubt this game will get me to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

battlefield2042.com redirects to /pol/

How does it not occur to anyone to buy a domain.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

BC2 870MCS with slugs. Once one-tapped a sniper in that watchtower very back of Arica Harbor's first MCOM set from attacker spawn with nothing but iron sights.

Same except the guy was on wookie mountain.

Then I did it to an attacker in their spawn from wookie mountain in some other game lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

BF2142 Titan Mode made by Ex-Titanfall devs

ďPrepare for titanfall.Ē

ďOh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-ď *explodes*

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

BF4 AA was okay when the game first came out but was eventually nerfed into near uselessness with the exception of helicopters.

Nah BF4 AA works wonders on pretty much anything that isnít a wunderkind with JDAMs. They certainly nerfed its sniper capabilities with the 30mm and I think the Zuni rocketsí damage also got reduced against tanks but against something in the air itís still good. And even if you find it hard to hit stuff with the cannon, or even if you can, you can equip the passive radar missiles and really make jets mad.

Infantry AA did never worked on jets though thatís for sure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flannelette posted:

BF4AA had a missile they could choose which was basically unavoidable for a pilot since it was a fast dumbfire missile that homed in when it got near a plane giving it no warning or time to evade, I don't know if it was nerfed but it could clear the sky across the entire map from the spawn on some maps.

Active radar missiles have a pretty short range though I donít remember if they started like that. I think they also increased the warning time jets and helicopters get. Passive missiles work better because they have the longest range, the highest damage, and most importantly you can shoot them with no lock or even the beginnings of a lock. Once you do lock on however for some reason missiles already in the air gain a massive increase in speed and maneuverability so unless someone is very quick on the countermeasures button or the missiles arenít anywhere near them to begin with you are basically guaranteed to hit. Each missile does enough damage to cause a mobility hit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That and Kharg Island rush (an otherwise pretty good map) were incredibly poorly designed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can absolutely do it in BF4. At launch you were to be able to do it at several hundred meters because the AA cannons had no reticule bloom - now youíre only relegated to up maybe 100 (itís still more than enough).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Infantry level AA in BF4 being ineffective against planes never really felt important because they could never reliably target infantry; any effort you made to attack air in BF4 was more about doing a favour to your team'ss tanks and helis. When the air in BF1 became able to endlessly strafe infantry, especially on some of the more cramped maps, the lack of effective infantry AA became a lot more frustrating.

It does start to matter in BF4 when jets are relentlessly destroying your teamís tanks, boats, and helicopters (and youíre on a map with no mobile AA) leaving infantry at the mercy of the enemyís tanks, boats, and helicopters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if theyíll be like the best gameplay trailers, the videos for Bad Company 2ís multiplayer, or an over-produced, over-narrated, over-scripted, and over-long video.

Who am I kidding Iím going to watch that poo poo anyways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

BF1 narrated/explanation stuff had the match announcer with the femme British voice so clearly the voice of near-future warfare is a very bored Mickey Rourke.

Replace bored Mickey Rourke with Rogue Warrior Mickey Rourke and you have a deal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ďThose cock sucking dick breathed commies have taken sector alpha. Get your motherfucking pansy rear end over there and get it the gently caress back you rear end in a top hat.Ē

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh goodie more death trap elevators.

I need an average time between cuts on that video.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Iím not a huge fan of non-standard magazine sizes in shooters because it inherently becomes the best choice no matter what most of the time. Granted that comes mostly from RPGs like The Division where your choices are between ď100% more ammoĒ or ď10% less recoilĒ but I think itís still better to have the guns balanced around an amount of ammo you know everyone has.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

Yes because BF4 didn't establish weapon handling trade offs for attachments

It didnít, at all. All the attachments just gave a small bonus to something with no penalties besides not being able to get the other small bonuses. A laser gave you slightly better hipfire, grip A made your reticule bloom less, grip B made your first shot (and only your first shot) recoil less.

When it comes to larger magazines however those penalties need to be huge because of the numbers I mentioned above. If youíre getting 100% more ammo (30 rounds to 60 rounds) the penalty you get, if anything, should be equally proportional.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I actually thought Locker (Conquest) was pretty okay but only when both teams remember the cliff path exists and that it is perfectly okay to use mortars/UCAVs/XM25 airbursts. I wouldn't want to play it too regularly because even getting to that point is a challenge but it can be fun when you get the rare combination of people. The XM25 airburst indoors on locker was also really fun when you know how to use it. Set the laser on the wall in front of a doorway or window and then fire through the gap and watch everyone scatter or die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vehicle animations are fine. It was always dumb that a player can instantly escape danger and also become much more dangerous just because they happen to be beside a vehicle. Players being able to leave vehicles instantly and appear in seemingly random spots around it is also dumb.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If a gunner is firing nonstop at a jet across the map, you are lit up on the minimap the entire time, making any kind of positioning moves you are trying to make completely pointless. That and they're hyperfocused on a far off pixel and not scanning nearby for a c4 surprise, so they're a lot worse than no gunner at all.

"How about a WW2 game with battles no one cares about?"

As if people cared about any of the battles in WWI. I donít think the battles the maps were based on had much if anything to do with the overall impression of BF5.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the maps allow for ridiculously short range SMGs at all I want my MPK from BF3 back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I jumped into an MAA on Firestorm a day or so ago and like 5 minutes into the round I managed to permanently jam it under one of those small pipe loops. Good times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

People in helos suck a lot less than they used to. I think I probably fired off two dozen stingers in a match on Paracel Storm last night and didn't hit a fuckin thing.

Donít use stingers, use the IGLAs. You have to hold the lock but I believe they do more damage and have like 100-200 meters more range. You also want to make sure you arenít shooting from max range because a half decent pilot will simply run away from where they were locked on from until their ECM recharges.

Also I was reminded (by using them) just how inconsistent shotguns in BF4 can be yesterday. They can work really well but also not at all at the same time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

Any decent pilot will also be able to juke or train the missile into an obstacle.

Shooting helicopters with launchers is never reliable but you may as well at least make it as reliable as possible. Also thereís not much cover on Paracel Storm for helicopters unless theyíre around the carrier or tower in the north.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RCarr posted:

Looks like heís definitely cheating. Just spinning around and headshotting people he couldnít possibly have known were there.

Nah, these are just people that do nothing but practice day and night. You see the same thing in any competitive setting for an FPS. He doesn't need to "know" any one is around after jumping around a corner half blind because he has trained his reflexes to such a high degree that he can react faster than 99% of people playing in public games. On top of that he knows exactly how much he needs to move his mouse to go from X to Y, how long he needs to hold on target after that mouse move, and how much he needs to compensate for a gun's kick so he effectively has no recoil. As always its just a ridiculous amount of dedication to a video game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RCarr posted:

Did you link the wrong clip?

Look closer at what happens at 7 seconds.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RCarr posted:

Thereís an explosion and he gets shot by something? What am I missing?

The two shells from one of the shore defense cannons pass by on their left and right. If you slow the video down you can even see the models of the shells moving. Itís not the most immediately impressive clip but it is neat you can see the detail.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This has probably occurred to me before and I forgot but while the levelutions in BF4 are certainly visually impressive pretty much all of them are just so lame in how they are triggered. I wouldnít call them easter eggs because that implies a convoluted series of triggers but theyíre in the same ballpark. None of them are things that happen due to normal gameplay but things you have to go out of your way to trigger. You basically only see them because you or someone else wanted them to happen spent 1-2 minutes in a tank shooting the thing that needs to be shot. The dam is probably the dumbest because the dam would never get hit otherwise and it doesnít even really change the map either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

just got like a dozen kills in BF4 with the MAV by using it to blow up enemy c4. drat this game is still good

This is basically the only way I can have fun on Silk Road.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chronojam posted:

That map is laser lock city. Get a PLD plus support plus Javelin crew and just go nuts.

Sure but that requires effort to organize. If there's C4 bombing going on it can just be you and your MAV.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Iíll use thermals on a map like Zavod or something similarly close quarters (for a tank) or a map thatís really busy like the warehouses in Firestorm. On something like Golmud or Lacang or Caspian Iíll use zoom optics and the HMG so I can be an annoying poo poo and snipe people with a tank.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Med packs are better.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The LAV/BMP is a monster as long as you donít get hit in the side. If you can bait out another tankís projectile shield or whatever itís called with your cannon at long range your two TOWs can put out a ton of damage. If you have a gunner that knows to use the SOFLAM perk you are laughing at everything except attack jets.

Tincans posted:

The best way to piss off anyone riding a vehicle is to use the PLD (Portable Laser Designator). Only way to stop those monster K/Ds

https://streamable.com/78gep4

Nice shootin Tex.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I canít kill things worth a poo poo in the scout chopper but I can at least fly the thing competently and be an annoying bastard with LGMs and the 25mm cannon. Occasionally I even steal a kill from a tank that was shooting an enemy tank already.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know Iím weird in this opinion but I actually very much prefer BF4ís more cumbersome (though thatís only compared to BF1/5) movement and more ambiguous approach to recoil and reticule bloom even when ADS. I donít hate BF1 and 5 at all but I feel that when every weapon isnít a pinpoint sniper and not every bullet goes to exactly where youíre aiming (when youíre firing in full auto from longer ranges) it adds excitement somehow? Like I might actually be able to cross an opening without immediately getting mown down or maybe Iím on the shooting side of that and donít quite kill someone and now I have to deal with that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Paracel Storm is fun until a sky god ruins everything. Itís a proto Naval Strike map just with the small chance of getting an MAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Dunno how you all find these games so easy

I played plenty of Unreal as a kid and COD as a teen but I always get my poo poo stomped in Battlefield. Nearly 60 hours in Bad Company 2 and then like 2 dozen hours across 3, 4, and 1 and I just always struggle with leading targets and constantly just getting picked off from every direction. Do you guys play on 64 man servers, or 32/48? Hardcore/no minimap or with the map? Also I can't fly for poo poo in these games.

just lol.

On a related note, I really wish I could adjust my loadout during the 10 second screen that shows who killed you, rather than having to wait until the Deploy screen to do it

Bohemian Nights posted:

Because we're nolife losers with like 600 hours per game instead of 60

Itís this to one extent or another. Getting picked off by some guy you didnít see happens to everyone but making it happen less often just comes down to knowing where people are likely to be or come from without actually seeing them first. That comes down to knowing the map which can be anything from ďthereís always someone sniping from that buildingĒ to ďOkay the enemy team just took B which puts them close to C and D and to get to either of those points they could cross this area so if I put myself here Iíll be able to cover D but Iíll need to be careful because from B theyíll also be able to take this route which would put them behind me but there are some friendlies there right now so Iíll need to keep an eye on the kill feed and map so Iíll know if they die and enemies are coming from that direction which means Iíll need to run away toÖĒ