Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
It has grapple hooks, my friend. Don't be so glum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

Hunt is (as a BF player) an excellent squad (or solo, if you're crazy) shooter that allows for outwitting and outgunning other squads. It scratches an itch I've previously gotten from bf4 squad play and to a lesser degree pubg and apex. Despite the lack of bullet drop, every shot feels physical and satisfying once you get a hang of it. It very often results in interesting narrative structures within a reasonable 30-minute span, and losses are punishing but reasonable. You can play it roguelike-fashion by setting weird rules or tactics to focus on, much like BF.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

Skip this if you don't want to read complaints from someone who's played every Battlefield. Mostly retreads of all the other people here.
Tried playing some solo but I guess my lust for bf isn't getting satisfied. I think it has something to do with:
1. Engagement ranges are often very long, mostly due to gameplay styles encouraged by the map.
2. You have no idea how many enemies you're facing at any time, rarely finding "fair" or even conceivable contained skirmishes.
3. Weapons and offensive gadgets seem inconsistent and unsatisfying.
4. Both sound and graphical styles are bland.
5. Feeling like you're actually doing something is very rare, leading you to a Sysiphus-like mood.
6. The presence of teamwork is almost non-existent, when it in previous games kinda worked even as a solo.
7. The lack of modes is baffling. Not only are the maps loving huge and open, but you also give players no way of playing on more compact maps using conventional means.

Playing with buddies helps with many of these, but I'm just trying to put my qualms in words. I'm disappointed. It's like they completely forgot what was fun or good. I'm still hopeful, though (and I was given the game as a gift, can't refund).

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

Did anyone else post this comparison?

:clint:

No, but seriously. Gunplay (hell, gameplay) is so much more satisfying when it's presented with a bit more restraint.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

If your criteria is jank, I don't think comparing BF2042 to hunt or tarkov is a good idea.

My main point with the Hunt comparison shot was mostly to point out that there's something very wrong with the underlying (current) formula of the bf genre.

As a player of almost every other BF, I find it sad and interesting how they've managed to change the game. I can only guess that the people at the helm misunderstood some very crucial points from the very beginning, and I'd be really interested to be a fly on the wall under development. The production seems scatter-brained, directionless, unsure of what makes a good match tick. I'm guessing they thought that another "regular" game would lack marketing oomph and instead doubled up on gimmicks. I feel those gimmicks were either done better by others or shipped half-baked.

Speaking for myself, just doing another polished, near future game would be great. Add in novel weapons/gadgets and customisation, interesting vehicles, well-functioning teamplay support, good maps.. What could have been?