Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I recently went back to BF4 and keep trying to ledge grab, slide, and rest my lmg on my dick. It's pretty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BFV's assignments are trash. Usually I play support so I just pick 2 weapons I'll use that session and throw on those assignments and hope for the best. It hasn't exactly worked well but gently caress it, who needs dumb gold skins anyway.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fire up BF4, haven't played in years, dismayed the only servers around SEA are vanilla maps only. What the hell, load into Paracel Storm. RPG the transport chopper flying across my screen, and at a fair distance so accounted for lead and rocket drop. Hit the skyhippo, pilot bails, chopper crashes, and passengers die. Whisper to myself, "still got it" and flex and kiss my guns. Proceed to die a billion times to little bird / plane shitfucks while trying to repair attack boats in the 4 spot. Minigunners can't hit poo poo. Hell yeah. Brings me back. Can't hit poo poo and keep trying to ledge grab. Why is this HUD so drat big? I forgot how to even spot.

E: Just to clarify, I really enjoyed it!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 10, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Overdrift posted:

This makes me worry about all the cards that were run 24/7 scooping up buttcoins that may randomly fail.

Miners typically run their cards at 55/60 percent tdp anyway because that's where the efficiency sweet spot is, and in some cases probably tweaking voltage/freq curves. Also, if you've seen any of these mining setups, they have poo poo tons of fans and are a real earsore. If anything, mining cards might actually be better preserved for resale than some rando gamer who kept it in his lovely tempered glass no airflow case and loaded it for 6 hours a day with the power slider set to 120% on a bad model Newegg-bundled PSU.

The wildcard right now is GDDR6X on the 3080 and up cards. They're rated for 95c but constantly hit 100+ under a mining load unless you fiddle with thermal pads. Dunno if mining setups' brute-force airflow would deal with that or not, but I have a very hard time believing they bother doing thermal pad replacements on their cards.

E: Of course, miners constant loads will probably wear the fans out faster.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 10, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Why wouldn't you use the only class with good close quarter weapons (PDWs) in a close quarter map?

I just played a team dm map on the aircraft carrier where I thought just this and tried the MPX. Couldn't hit anything for some reason and went back to the AN-94. Plus reviving was important for TDM.

But yeah I'm gonna start trying out all the PDWs more since I've never played with them much. I always just stuck with the carbines.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How did Titanfall 2 do it with their bots?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

The best thing to do with “server rules” is to immediately use the the weapon that they have banned. No stinger/igla? gently caress you duder I’m using that thing.

I've been playing on a server that bans frag rounds and has a sniper limit, and if you use either to kill someone, the server kills you.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

If anyone wants a BF1 key here - GKEW-YR7Z-5D32-LRJ3-RHPA

Just let me know when its claimed

I claimed this, thank you very much!!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Forgot how much fun BF1 is! Even on just the vanilla game maps which I've played to death it's great. Something about the gunplay just feels way better than BFV, though I do prefer the V movement more, especially with crouch running which is great. Partner (thanks for the key jisjosh!) and I have been having a blast recently playing both BF4 and now BF1. We had a BF4 session today of just messing around with TOWs, jihad jeeps, EOD bots, and the bow that made me realize that BFV was drastically missing "fun gadgets and weapons".* BF1 at least had the horsies.

*Now that I think about it, BFV was just missing "fun".

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is there a trick to the BF1 server browser? I've completely forgotten how I used to do it. Right now I've got the filter set to any map, all slots, my region, but everytime I refresh new populated servers pop to the top. I've been favoriting them all, but I don't understand why they don't just show the first time.

E: Well seems I finally got them all doing the refresh-->favorite thing, as populated servers that I've favorited are starting to get cycled.

E2: Oh, seems I needed to narrow down open slots. From any to just up to 6-10 has found me a lot more servers. NVM!

E3: legit surprised at how many people still play this in SEA. It's 8.30 in the morning here and there are like 20 full servers wow! Way more than BF4 in SEA. Should have gone back to bf1 earlier instead of trying and failing repeatedly to have fun in V.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 25, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I know I've made like 3 or 4 posts recently already but I can't get over how much I'm enjoying BF1 again (especially playing it with my partner right next to me with a goon-given key) and I don't know why I wasted so much time in BFV instead of going back to BF1.

I can even remember going back to BF4 in the gap between BF1 and V and am not even sure why. Maybe it was hackers? Today I came across a few and it was definitely a bit of a deja-vu moment that totally ruined the session.

But from what I remember, BF1 actually had an overtuned fairfight where legit pro Ggenxoddysey or whatever tier streamers were getting incorrectly banned.

I once was in a squad with genxoddysey in BF1 and it's such a vivid memory because I slowly started to realize (as w(h)e dominated, of course, and were busy chatting away on comms) that I was being streamed. Once it clicked, I got massive stage fright and quit, lol. I kinda feel like if someone is streaming, they should tell you if it's a public squad.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 27, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Was attacking on Argonne when the defenders had an aim otter shooting everyone through smoke and a revive hacker insta reviving every downed teammate from across the map, and we still almost won because half their team was sniping.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hell if it's free give it a go. I put 100+ hours into V and and it's fine mostly. But the pacific maps are better which you probs won't get for free, though you will get Mercury which is just a beautiful map imo.

The one thing I don't like about BFV is how hard it is to see enemies. Going back to BF1 and BF4 I always end up doing far, far better, especially if the map has a darker or more muted palette which is all the vanilla V maps. Part of this may be a lack of spotting which I actually prefer, but player models in general do blend in more because visually V just shoves so much detail at you.

I keep it installed because breakthrough on the pacific maps is legit good but you have to get lucky with more balanced teams, though in fairness that's true of all battlefields. The infantry gunplay is good too.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

StevoMcQueen posted:

Eh, should get Pacific included, BFV didn't have paid dlc in order to avoid splitting the playerbase (instead they just introduced a bunch of skins for $$$).

Oh yeah of course! Been in bf4/1 mode too much recently.

In that case definitely give it a go for free and find pacific map servers.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Considering my old 6600K gave really inconsistent frametimes in BFV it may not go very well.

Yeah BFV was already a challenge for 4c/4t and now it's double the player count. Even my 4c/8t 7700hq was producing noticeably worse performance than 6c/12t 8750h with the same gpu (1060). Desktop 6600k has better clocks but I'd still expect a not great ezperience.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

In BF1 the assault class is also the de-facto anti tank class, too, and has pretty good weapons for close and medium ranges. I've personally found the M1917 Patrol Carbine to be really good for mid-rangey stuff since it's easy to manage and has that optic, and being able to double at grenade + light at grenade + 4 tank rocket shots is, like, really good.

Being able to self-refill light at grenades as a support is pretty good, too.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Are there any settings to make enemy players stand out more in Battlefield 1? I'm an old man, and snipers don't even have to lie down to be utterly indistinguishable just a few dozen meters away.

Wait until you try BFV

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

With how close together BF3 and BF4 came out, the engine tech can't have been that different, right? I wish they'd just updated all the BF3 maps for BF4, especially the Armored Kill maps, I really enjoyed those. And nothing in BF4 came close to that initial first rush of jumping off the cliff in Damavand Peak, Rush.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love Zeebrugge and the airships are so much fun. Hitting boats with the front cannon is extremely satisfying.

Mordja posted:

If the next Battlefield isn't Battlefield: C&C and specifically set in the TS timeline, we riot

I read in the Mass Effect thread that there was apparently a planned Battlefield: Mass Effect which I would have slammed pre-order on without a moment's hesitation.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've been on a kick rediscovering BF1 lately and was surprised at how different the BAR telescopic feels from the trench/storm. It also packs a wallop and I am getting kills easier than I expect to at medium to long ranges. What are the best support guns to use?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Every 5 kills without a death a littlebird or jet pilot gets, they are autoejected (into OOB / the sun).

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Jets but you can only score kills by ejecting out and then firing FutureSMAW in midair before parachuting back into your jet.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

beta

when

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I like the fart songs tbh.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Going back to BF4 after playing any modern FPS really shows how badly BF4 has aged in terms of movement and whatever the hell "feel" encompasses

I went back to BF4 for a while and kept trying to ledge grab and slide which made me wish it I could switch to third person to see how ridiculous I looked sprinting into a sudden crouch or jumping at a wall.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I play on southeast Asia servers that often cross pollinate with Oceania servers due to low player base and acceptable ping, and maybe every other game there are at least 5 people on each side engaged in a pro/anti China rage fest complete with all the racism and swearing and trolling you would expect, typically in 2 languages too, but I've seen maybe 4 at once? All typed in English characters (so some phonetically).

It is honestly kind of incredible.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 3, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

To get it to preload on Origin (where I bought it) I had to search for it in the store, and then click the "Try Now" button, and then I was able to add the beta to my library and begin downloading.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is the beta not unlocking at the same time for everybody? I might just have to write a letter.

In my time zone (GMT+8), it is apparently unlocking in 6 hours.

VV so I misread the battlefield official twit as 4pm instead of 3pm (my time), so that's actually in 5 hours which is still an hour later than 4 hours? I'm incensed. I'm not even gonna be home I'm going to be at work but still it's the principle!!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 6, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lmao whoever made the revive and swap weapons button the same has given me heaps of lols. Just bleeding out and these dudes keep cycling weapons trying to revive me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just emptied an entire clip at somebody and they did the same to me but nothing registered, so then we both tried to melee each other for a couple of minutes and then I realized we were on the same team lmao

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I agree that Orbital doesn't seem like a map I hope for when I'm queueing for a game.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

One really annoying thing is I keep getting put into high ping games. Either I'm put into an Aus server which is about 170 ping for me, playable but janky, or it's a 250+ ping server which is completely unplayable. Occasionally I can get into a 60ms more local to my region server but I'd say it's 1 in every 7 or 8 tries, sometimes more. Still, playing at 170 ping has been surprisingly okay, I can still even win some gun fights.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Now I'm curious as to how much of a bottleneck my lovely ram is, re performance.

I am playing on a 1080p screen with a 10700k @ 4.8 and a 3080 @1860 (this PC is also for 4k gaming on the living room tv, I move it in and out). However, my ram is 2933 cl21 oem junk with what I'm sure are even worse rest-of-the-timings. I play at the "High" preset and see highs of 120 ish fps and steady lows at like 75 or so, with dips even lower when things are getting janky.

Weirdly, when I'm connected to a high ping server as the client has been putting me into 75% of the time, fps dips are way more frequent. From all performance reports, this is way underperforming, as people are getting similar averages to me running 1440p widescreen which is like 3x more pixels or whatever, I won't math. GPU usage never gets over like 70% in game, but will hit 90+% in the menu (lol).

veni veni veni posted:

So are the bunkers being literally pitch black with no way to see what is going on a feature or a bug? cause that poo poo is straight up the abyss lol.

They're not like that originally, players shoot out the lights.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 9, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I know that, but it's insane how bad it looks once the lights are out. It's just a black void with super unnaturally lit ghostly, looking player models. You literally can't see anything and it looks like rear end.

Agreed, some kind of light source would be way better, even just a sparking wire or glow stick left behind. Maybe the devs were going for that "cinematic" see-by-muzzle-flash feel.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^I liked the fortification system personally because if I wanted to feel 'useful' but have a bit of down time, I could fortify up a point. It wasn't great in cq but in breakthrough it was definitely useful. There that radio tower mode (was it outpost?) they were super useful on Mercury to stop shelling from tanks (and all the sniper spam) at the middle point of the map, and I was dedicated fort builder every time that map/mode rolled around. That was a real fun mode.

kri kri posted:

I turned off cross play too and it’s been tons better

Gonna try this because I have been having a hell of a time trying to get a low ping lobby this entire beta.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 10, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BFV is just less fun, even if it ended up in a pretty good place. It took forever for maps to not be just the color of sludge (but I absolutely adore how Mercury looks and it's my fav map in that game and also pacific is legit p.good), the randomly rotating game modes and shithouse assignment system always were annoying, and even with the best gunplay and infantry movement mechanics of the modern Battlefields, it still ends up just somehow either being boring or stressful.

When I get bored in BF1 I can tool around in a behemoth or get on horseback, and in BF4 I can jihad jeep or do some MAV stuff. In BFV I always felt like, oh this round is pretty boring (maybe it's a stomp or it's that map that's like Golmund that's just a tank fest and usually the attackers are locked at spawn) and so what can I do to have fun? Not much, really, I tended toward fortification building which I legit liked for 'downtime' within the map, otherwise was dedicated tank repairer.

I don't play ultra frothing at the mouth pro gamer streamer mlg42069xXx style so having options within the game to just tool around (that doesn't rely on getting to a pickup first) is always good for Battlefields. 2042 seems to be giving us a fair amount of that with C5 (lmao) drones and ziplining to interesting locations, etc.

BF1 is more fun than V without a doubt, BF3/4 also, and BF4 would have been goated if they ported all the BF3 maps into it, which can't have been that difficult since they basically look and play extremely similarly and must have been on the same-enough 'version' of Frostbite.

Port all old maps into Portal please, DICE.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fanatic posted:

I think I mostly enjoyed Battlefield V because I find Conquest a boring gamemode and BFV did alternative gamemodes (such as Breakthrough, Frontlines and Grand Operations) the best, as they took full advantage of the fortification system among other things.

My most intense BFV memory was a pit-sweat-dripping-down-my-sides 32p frontlines Hamada heart-destroyer that had us -- a bunch of pubbies and nobody on coms against an extremely balanced opposing team, which made it all the more remarkable -- stalemated at the middle fort bit before we eventually pushed all the way to the end, trading the last point several times. It went on forever, and is probably the only instance where I remember Hamada fondly, or heck, even have a crystal clear memory of a single game in BFV.

Ops were worse than BF1 though. I understand the design philosophy to not end the map if attackers can't break through (because then you make a map that possibly 50% of people won't play all the way through), but it had the side-effect of dampening the victorious feeling of successfully breaking through / repelling a breakthrough attempt. The ticket bonus just wasn't enough.

BF1 operations were where it's at. Real stakes, the map changes if you don't break through even after the behemoth, everybody drops, you lose your squad cohesion etc. If you're the defender you get multiple chances. In that sense I suppose it felt more 'meta' and keyed-in to the way multiplayer games work. It just played out better, but I presume all the map designers who did the final points were pretty pissed a bunch of people probably never saw those areas.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 11, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I hope that back-prone-dick-supported-gun doesn't make it back if I'm being honest, even though I abused that dick a lot.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

D-Pad posted:

I preordered because I actually enjoyed the beta and will always play any BF game on launch day and long after regardless of jank. It's just my jam and always has been since 1942. I also want to play early and not wait for the non-preorder launch.

Same. Battlefield is the only game I ever pre-order, and no matter how poo poo it is I know I'm going to put 200 hours into it. It's the only MP FPS I play. So I may as well get in early and experience all the hijanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

EA Play Pro once again the right decision

I was looking at ea play pro but I don't play the sports games, and the only other thing I'd play is me legendary, which, ehhh.