Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Looten Plunder posted:

Cant believe I stumbled across a 28 minute old trailer randomly. That looked very fun.

I've played a lot of Battlefield games,going all the way back to BF2. Am I the only one, that still can't get their head around planes and choppers? It blows my mind that BF flying is considered dumb and arcadey but the most I can do without crashing is fly from point A to B in a straight line, shoot things along the way and eject at the other end.

Weird thing is I was actually pretty good at flying helicopters in Bad Company 2, but they changed the controls up in 3 and 4 that it became a lot more complicated to fly the bastards, needlessly so really

Kibayasu posted:

The people who complain about C4 attacks are the vehicle equivalent of snipers on a hill. They just want to sit somewhere risk free and shoot at infantry with their 1 hit kill weapon. And in the case of vehicles you don’t have to worry about being 1 hit kill back and don’t even have to land headshots.

Heck I made a point about getting good with the MAA in BF4 so I was constantly looking up into the sky and not being able to see things coming at me. It was just as much fun dealing with C4 attacks when they happened as it was shooting the jets. I typically died to someone on an ATV once so at that point I knew someone was around doing it, and then it became an awesome game of cat and mouse. I had to keep an eye out for ATVs out in the distance, thinking if they were going for me or just driving to a point, look at the main map all the time in case someone spotted an ATV and it was out in the middle of nowhere (like say it was trying to hide from a tank for as long as possible). They had to think about the routes they would take to try and get as close as possible before being obvious. Maybe they had to wait until they knew I was shooting at a jet or when I was running away from something else that started shooting me. There were a few rare times some dedicated C4’ers even accused me of cheating because I saw them coming too often which is always a :smug: feeling.

C4 tricks like that are fine as it actually takes some bit of skill and teamwork to pull off, it's not like say Titanfall 2 where anti Titan weapons are so effective and easy to use that it often feels pointless to even use Titans cause they'll just get blown up within 30 seconds of getting called in before accomplishing much

Hughmoris posted:

I did not particular enjoy BF1 or the little I played BF5. I really hope they go back to the BF4 era of selecting vehicles.

Agreed, I loathed how much they minimized vehicle play in the last couple Battlefield games or the Battlefront games for that matter

Blue Raider posted:

I’m glad they seem to have some kind of vision this time around and not wasting their resources on bull poo poo like campaigns or a battle royale.

Bot lobbies might be pretty cool, that’s a neat idea. Not really excited for 128 player servers though. That has the possibility to be a complete meat grinder.

On the other hand the bigger the team size the less noticeable it is when you have morons on your team

The United States posted:

I mean it's not CASPIAN border but it sure is a border of some sort

Would be nice, Caspian Border is one of my favorite maps in the franchise

jisforjosh posted:

My understanding from some of the breakdowns from BF content creators, is you can play bot only matches to help new players learn the mechanics and familiarize themselves with vehicles

Edit: beat above

It'll also be good for soothing egos I imagine, will be harder for me to get mad if after a really bad match I can just go do a match versus some bots and stomp them into mud

Shoehead posted:

I can't wait to be really mad at this game! :v:

Yeah probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

whaley posted:

real good feeling about this one but wondering about how the vehicle summoning is balanced. if the other team can shoot down vehicle drops and you cant spawn them endlessly i think it could work pretty well. but like where do you realistically spawn a jet. are people going to spawn jets into the ocean while they're on a boat

My guess is ground vehicles can be spawned wherever there's room for them to land, air and water vehicles will probably need specific locations to be called in, like air strips and helipads for air vehicles and docks in bodies of water for boats

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think you call them in. Maybe like Battlefront 2 where you can purchase them with points

Yeah I had issues with Battlefront 2 but that wasn't one of them, since the points needed for vehicles or elite troop types usually didn't take too long to farm up

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think my favorite thing in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 was using mortars, I got scary good at using them back in the day, hopefully 2042 will have them too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

Kind of hurts to see all this dissing of BF1, which was one of the better battlefield games ever in my opinion, and ending up having a ton of maps. Operations was a pretty fun game-mode, and they added other fun ones as well. The vehicle balance felt fine to me, but I guess that can be subjective. The sound of a headshot in BF1 is probably one of the most satisfying game sounds ever. Plus they had a few Russian civil war maps!
I bought BF5 but kept BF1 installed on my PS4 till the pacific content dropped, and I still regret uninstalling and installing BF5.

It and the new Battlefront games had the problem of being too infantry focused

Blue Raider posted:

This is a rare skill

I'm not sure if this is a complement or sarcasm

Blue Raider posted:

I can tear down BF1 pretty hard, but it was good overall. My main gripes were overdoing the animations and having spawn-in vehicles as well as an over-emphasis on automatic weapons.

Though this stuff doesn’t seem that important when it was followed up by the hands down worst entry in the series.

Agreed, should have been few if any infantry usable automatic weapons besides full sized machine guns(which for some reason Battlefield is terrible at making any good)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Compliment. Using a mortar effectively has always been challenging. That doesn’t stop 2-4 idiots from constantly wasting their time with them though.

One thing that's nice about mortars is that even if you don't kill someone with a shot you'll probably be wrecking the building they're hiding in and it'll probably also rattle them, potentially resulting in them doing something stupid in a panic

Basically even misses with them can be productive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Foehammer007 posted:

titanfall so good, I heard its pretty riddled with hackers now though

You're thinking of the other TF2, Team Fortress 2 as the one that is infested with hackers

Kibayasu posted:

“Prepare for titanfall.”

“Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-“ *explodes*

Pretty much what my reaction would be

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think one thing that would be nice for them to add would be a "simplified" mode for helicopters and jets where a lot of the more complicated aspects of flying are automated(like say for Helicopters on a controller becomes essentially the same as moving or aiming while on foot and most of the stuff relating to the chopper's angles and positioning just gets handled by the computer) , cause the current way they work in these games is probably too complex and unnecessarily "realistic" for the vast majority of this franchise's intended audience(like I have a feeling if the average player has between 50 and 200 hours of play per game, they've probably only touched any air vehicles for maybe 20 minutes worth at the most while probably having several hours of usage of ground vehicles cause the former are so unfriendly in how they control)

Sure keep the more advanced controls in as an option for more skilled players, but the more average player really needs a bone thrown their way

Also buff the gatling guns on transport choppers cause at least in 4 they're pretty useless in terms of both accuracy and damage

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Symetrique posted:

Battlefield flight models aren’t difficult.

The problem is the default control binds and not having a space to practice. Like I don’t know anyone who doesn’t immediately modify the default plane controls to something that makes more sense. There’s really not much else to simplify unless they go with a pure mouse aim mode like swbf2 or war thunder arcade, but at that point there’s no need for more advanced options since they wouldn’t give an advantage against mouseaim.

Hopefully having bots makes it easier for people who want to practice flying without getting murdered by experienced players. Bots contributing to progression should also prevent issues like bfv’s kanonenvogel Stuka, where picking the wrong tier 2 upgrade hosed up your primary load out, making it harder to actually score points.

I feel the issue is there's a lot of aspects to controlling them that are completely unneeded by the average player and really don't need to be manually controlled, rolling being the big one, same with aiming up and down also affecting your aircraft's orientation and thus your forward or backwards momentum, hence my suggestion for helicopters to just work like infantry movement and aiming and altitude adjustment just being done via buttons, most other vehicles operate in simplified "arcadey" fashions so I see no reason why aircraft can't too(and I'd have no problems with the AA capabilities of infantry or ground vehicles being enhanced to combat this if it really was such a huge boost to aircraft performance)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

For me what made piloting helicopters click was making left stick ascend/descend and left/right tilt, while right stick was rotate left/right and up/down tilt. Basically all X/Y plane movement was in the left stick and then the right stick was my aiming/orientation

Honestly I feel there just needs to be an option to disable left/right tilt(as personally I find that to be kinda useless 99% of the time) and I'd be fine with that kind of control scheme

Symetrique posted:

Roll isnt a complex control or thing to get your head around for planes. You can literally set up your keybinds so that you're controlling Pitch/Roll/Yaw/Throttle with only one hand on your KB. Momentum being dictated by pitch orientation is kinda what makes helicopters helicopters. BF helos arent even that complex compared to other games. Like others are saying, the biggest barrier has been not having a place to practice or not being able to progress with vehicle unlocks without getting stomped by more experienced players.

I'm speaking from a console player perspective, that kind of thing is way more obnoxious to control with analog sticks than I imagine doing it with a keyboard would be

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Was BF4 the one with the AA tanks that absolutely mutilated infantry? I honestly can’t remember.

From my recollection that tactic worked rather well in both Bad Company 2 and BF3 and probably works reasonably well in BF4 as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the whole squad mechanic and would much rather be able to communicate with the whole team at once, even if admittedly the idea of 64 players speaking at once could have issues

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I'm just going to probably stick with the PS5 version for the time being(especially since a dog sitting job I'm doing right now has gotten me a couple hundred bucks to set aside for that purpose)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DrPop posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: HAMADA UNIT OF MEASUREMENT CONFIRMED :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

What exactly is a Hamada Unit anyways?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just hope they beef up LMG's, they've pretty much always felts kinda pathetic compared to every other category of gun both in accuracy and damage, like in BF4 once I unlocked the shotgun for Support I completely stopped bothering with the machine guns cause while the former are much shorter ranged at least I can somewhat consistently get kills with them unlike the latter where sometimes I'll unload an entire ammo box into someone and have done maybe 20 damage before they turn around and kill me with like 2 bullets from an SMG

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuligin posted:

God starting out again at rank 1 with nothin in bf4 sucks so bad

It is amazing how bad the default weapons for the Support and Engineer are

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I figure we'll see them do another attempt at Vietnam in the future as a way to flex the new hardware in a way different than 2042's huge scale, for Vietnam it would be for extremely detailed foliage and terrain in general

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

I stopped talking to one of my best friends about 5 years ago and the straw that broke the camel's back was he was unemployed and living with his mom in his mid 30s and obsessed with CS:Go and he got a knife skin worth $900, and instead of selling it he gave it to some titty streamer he thought he was in love with

As someone who is 30, unemployed(though in my case it's not something I like being), and still living with their mother this makes me both uncomfortable and honestly rather mad, if I had been in his shoes I would have sold it and then given my mom a solid chunk of the profits, like Lord is that just a dumb thing to do

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

People who want to play Suez Conquest are sadists and masochists in the extreme. God that map sucks for that mode.

Agreed that map blows

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think one of the things that irks me the most about Battlefield 1 is that they make a big deal out of Behemoths but in truth they're mostly useless, and indeed are a hindrance to the already losing team they're supposed to be helping since they'll be down a couple players who'll be wasting time piloting the silly things instead of being actually helpful

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

For the first few months of the game the behemoths were actually something to respect. It's just that then everyone started to figure out how to kill them really fast and they just evaporated.

Well except the ship. That thing always sucked. The zeppelin was potentially the most powerful but people figured out about a dozen different ways to kill them super fast after about a month. The train was a monster if it was used properly and had infantry support (and you kept DipshitNub69 from getting in thing and driving it straight into the mines the other team set). I never had much experience with the tank.

Honestly they should either have been invincible or at the very least be able to repair themselves like normal vehicles can

Also the Mortar version of the Artillery Truck can be an absolute monster on the right maps, had a match earlier where I got like a 63:5 k:d ratio where like at least 50 of those were me in the truck and those deaths were all from the beginning of the match before I got in the truck

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I am absolutely mystified by how empty Battlefield 1 is here on PS4, like at any given time it seems there's literally only one server in the US where there actually are any players, it's downright bizarre how a game so much newer than 4 is way more dead

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

Goddamit.... I'm going to have to delete some games on my PS4 and reinstall BF1..

Probably not worth it honestly, the playerbase is dead on PS4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

Okay but BF4 and BF3 were both even worse in this regard, though. You didn't need to actively repair from inside or even outside the tank since they auto regen'd health just like infantry does

To be fair at least in 4 the auto-repair is REALLY slow to both activate and in how fast it repairs, it's mostly there so that people aren't required to play Engineer to use vehicles(1 goes in the opposite direction by having anyone spawning in a vehicle being in a class that has a repair tool by default)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

Put bayonet's in every battlefield imo. Retroactively.

I don't care how logical it is or isn't, let me charge people while screaming like a maniac.

I mean the US still trains it's infantry how to bayonet charge and still has attachments for it's rifles to stick a knife on as a bayonet so I could see it still cropping up in 2042

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So far the biggest issues I have are that anything not a Assault Rifle or SMG still feels suboptimal, and much like 1 there's way too few vehicles available at a given time for my liking in a Battlefield game, only allowing one tank per team in a game like this is straight horse poo poo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

toggle posted:

Is there still a max of 2 tanks available at one time? In a 128 player server? lmao

Lord and I thought that was a bad limit on 64 player servers(on PS4), it should be like at least quintuple that number at that scale, especially for those of us who honestly are loving awful at the infantry parts of this game and get like 99% of their enjoyment out of using vehicles

Also the more and more I play this franchise the more I'm convinced that allowing players to pilot aircraft is a mistake and the franchise would be better without them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Each map will have different types and amounts of vehicles. I actually think this map is balanced well. I bet El Alamein has like 20 tanks at least. Super excited about that one.

I mean this map is loving enormous and it only has 1 tank per team that does not leave me optimistic at all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Still way too few tanks, only one per team on this map means the odds of you ever getting to use one in a given game is near nonexistent given both team sizes(32 for us last gen players, 64 for you PC and next gen players) and how long a Tank can usually last in these games if the driver is even the slightest bit competent, not helped by the vehicle selection system being as buggy as pretty much every Battlefield game since they decided to let people spawn in vehicles instead of having to just walk up to them on the field like in the older games(really wish they'd just go back to that system instead)

Overall just a frustrating experience for someone like me who gets like 95% of their enjoyment out of driving tanks and other armed ground vehicles in this franchise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

After 3 solid hours of playing today, ground vehicles feel great, air vehicle controls are a mess, infantry movement feels weird and the gunplay...I don't even know. I'm killing people, landing shots, but it just doesn't feel like the feedback, weightiness, punch I don't know what to call it is lacking. Maybe it's the sound being so flat but my metric of a good Battlefield game is exiting the game and immediately having the itch to jump back on, this doesn't trigger that.

Honestly the gunplay has always been the weakest aspect of this franchise, or at least ever since I first started playing(Bad Company 1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

One thing I will give them credit for, they've massively improved the controls for aircraft compared to pretty much every game in the series I've played since Bad Company 2, like I'll need to do some fine tuning with them a bit when I actually buy the full game sometime in the next 3 to 6 months(depending on how long it takes me to save up enough for a new computer that can actually run it), but even in the form the beta has them where you can't really adjust them(because the options menu is a barely functioning tire fire right now) they work surprisingly well, like I wasn't doing well enough to be an actual threat to anyone(except a couple times in the VTOL when I was able to be a proper sky bus and consistently had turret buddies) but good enough that I only crashed once(and that was because of a weird rubber banding moment), while in 4 and 1 it was pretty much completely pointless for me to even remotely try being a pilot in an aircraft

Mind you I still think Player controlled aircraft is a terrible idea for this franchise but if they have to include it at least they're making something actually usable for more than an absolutely microscopic portion of the overall playerbase