Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Fart Car '97 posted:

No battlefield game has ever been balanced and yet the best ones are the ones where the everything is overpowered in its own special way :thunk:

If everything is overpowered in its own special way its a balanced game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Yeah to the people complaining that the two classes look similar expect for their heads, you do understand that militaries use uniforms right?

Edit: also y'all colorblind. The uniforms are different color variants too. Not saying it's the craziest customization ever made but it seems fine

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

pro starcraft loser posted:

I think its going to be tough to tell the difference between teams.

If they let customization override things like team uniform color then yeah that would be very dumb

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

What time is the gameplay reveal?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

They are nothing like BR's. Like what? There is no shrinking map, there can be many many survivors, and the win conditions are completely different. If something is a battle royal because there is permadeath (which in tarkov/hunt have totally different consequences) then your brain is severely deficient.

A tarkov-like without being tarkov would be amazing.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Insert name here posted:

Actually tank drivers bailing because being able to instantly get out of their vehicle making them feel safe owns because it meant a chance to steal a tank, a classic Battlefield tradition

I think I could count the number times I've seen a stolen tank in both BF1 and V combined on one hand

Why would a bail animation prevent stealing a tank?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Symetrique posted:

I recall one game where someone bailed out of a tank, and I had a perfect line of sight to the driver's hatch. I just kept popping people as they tried to get in.

Sounds cool and good to me.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Ya'll are smoking crack. Tarkov is one of hte jankiest games I've ever played. Sure you get accustomed to the jank, and I think some people may even love it, but from its control schemes, to its networking problems, to its insanely obtuse penetration systems the game is built on a foundation of jank.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

Bring back the close quarters maps you cowards

Quoting an opinion born of ignorance

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

The possibilities in conquest are far greater than any of the other mindless meat grinder modes.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Here you go thread:

https://discord.gg/m8wu6j5b7n

A general discord for battlefield goons. All the pertinent games:. BF4, BF1, BFV.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 19, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Insert name here posted:

Don't listen to all the gatekeepers bro your playstyle is valid so long as you're having fun, even if I'll probably curse you silently behind the scenes if you end up on my team

Don't listen to him. You live in Sin and must be cleansed with fire.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Is this hazard mode?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol why does this postg read like ad copy

e: all of their posts in the thread are like that wtf

This may be a shock to you but sometimes we can be excited for things, even if its foolish to do so.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Kibayasu posted:

I for one am also excited about the latest entry in the long running, multi-award winning series Battlefield. I canít wait to join millions of other players from around the world in chaotic and sprawling 128 player battles across 7 huge maps, from storm ravaged tropical islands to sand storm choked cities. The new Battlefield Portal which is bringing back my favorite weapons, vehicles, and maps from past Battlefield games such as Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 and combining that with the all new custom mode features of Battlefield 2042 promises to be an explosive combination of past, present, and future!

Unironically this copy.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

reignofevil posted:

I wanna third this.

Fourth. Titan mode was my favorite mode of any BF ever.

Of course 2142 was the best game in the series.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Bring back the loving pilum

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Hazard zone info when?!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Charles 1998 posted:

So it has nothing to do with sniping, just players being bad.

You just repeated yourself.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Charles 1998 posted:

It doesn't sound very good because we're not playing the game. Most game soundtracks sound like crap if you're not playing. Like Dead Space.

Yeah I'm sure that abortion will sound great while queueing for their battle royale mode.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

TDM is for people with brainworms or people who absolutely must grind weapons ASAP. So I just repeated myself.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Charles 1998 posted:

You are hot dropped into a random area on the edge of the map, which you can't select.
Instead of scavenging for weapons or supplies, you need to collect clues. So instead of starting out with no equipment, you start out with no information. You have to scavenge for information to reach the objective. You can also scavenge tons of stuff to help you out, such as health packs, traps, replacement equipment, and even guns. You can even bring in a person with almost nothing on him and deck him out with equipment you find around.
You absolutely do get funneled into a smaller area, but it's not a hard requirement. 95% of people that play choose to get funneled.
Every game results in the teams being widdled down until there's only one team remaining. Rarely there's more than 1 team that successfully evacs, but in over 90% of games that doesn't happen.

When you actually play you use a lot of Battle Royal tactics and phrases. Being loud puts you at a major disadvantage since players can ambush you from almost any angle on the wide open map, third partying, resources such as ammunition and equipment being in short supply, health doesn't fully regenerate, team mates being knocked out and having to spectate until their friends revive them or being permanently knocked out of the game, and probably more poo poo that makes it similar to most other BRs.

You're pretty largely wrong.

To your first point, yes people all spawn on the edge of the map, thats true.

You can try and scaenge weapons on a naked player but I don't know why you would. You can always bring into the bayou an equipped player for free (has basic weapons). And while there are weapons occasionally around the map they are incredibly rare (like one a compound with no reliable way to find it) and can be of any type. I have almost 1000 hours in Hunt and I can count on my hand the number of times I've swapped out for something I found as a world spawn. So "deck him out" is not even remotely correct.

You kind of get funneled into a smaller area, but at a decently high level most players will choose more clever ways to play than just "GO TO THIS BOSS COMPOUND". Because of how sound works tons of ifghts happen independent of the "shrinking" play area, and also some people choose to ambush extraction or sit between boss compound and extract. The entire playable area is always in play and thats what makes the game so dynamic.

A ton of games don't end in only one team remaning. Maybe 50%? There are tons of maps where there are double bounties, meaning two teams can seperately extract with two different sets of bounties and that happens fairly often. Sometimes teams will opt to make a run for it and extract meaning two teams are left alive (or more). Sometimes people even just straight up extract if the round feels lost (less common). Though full server wipes happen they are hardly every game.

Everything you are describing that makes it "like a BR" is mostly just things that make it like a shooter. Hunt showdown is only BR adjacent.

Boy thats a lot of words. Turns out if people mischaracterize my favorite game I become insufferable.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

poo poo heads playing a team based objective Gamemode as lone wolf death match losers deserve what they get.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

When I play Halo CTF I like to take the enemy flag and just run out of bounds with it, sometimes I even intentionally take it away from my teammates who are trying to capture it and deliver it back to the enemy. Because I'm allowed to play how I like and how dare anyone get mad at me for doing so.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Symetrique posted:

I mean thats basically what the gameplay sabotage report function that worked up half the thread and started this sniper bickering would be for.

You're soooo close to getting it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Every game should hide stats from everyone but the player who earned it until the end of the round and even then maybe still hide it

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Sab669 posted:

Just stop engaging him :shrug:

Just like a worthless sniper they are incredibly easy to just ignore

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

What time does the beta actually go live, not preload but when can I play exactly?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

How do I preload on steam? Its still greyed out for me.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I played about five rounds last night and enjoyed it despite the bugs. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Tormented posted:

Do goons have a battlefield discord?

https://discord.gg/m8wu6j5b7n

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Fart Car '97 posted:

Just a reminder to ya'll there are almost never major meta-level changes, like UI revisions or major performance improvements/updgrades/optimizations between beta and release. This has happened for every BF game. What you're seeing in the beta is very close to what you're going to get live. If it's not, 2042 will prove to be an exception, but you're fools if you're convincing yourself the game will be significantly different a month from now.

True. But every single game has seen significant improvement/changes within the first half year of official release. If that is not the case tehn yet again 2042 is the exception.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Refunded as well, it's pretty disappointing that all the decisions in this game are bad. Battlefield was never really just about respawning asap to shoot more dudes, there's plenty of other shooters that do that better. So all the strengths I like battlefield for just feel muted or done worse in this iteration. I'm really disappointed.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Lube Enthusiast posted:

As janky as lot of stuff in this beta feels, i’m really impressed how smooth and flawless the grapple hook is. Some dev definitely put a lot work into it

Valid complaint with how bad healing/spotting/repairing feels so far. I’ll be bummed if none of the medic stuff gets reworked before launch

Grapple any moving object and you realize how buggy and bad it actually is. For instance if you grapple a helicopter it zips you to where it was when you connected the grapple and doesn't actually attach you to the helicopter itself

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Maybe I didn't phrase that correctly? Those same people would love playing HLL because it does not have those Battle Royale traits that you yourself listed. Its a very team based objective war fps with classes and vehicles

I hate HLL but loved battlefield 1 and 4 and wished this game was more like that. This feels like a step away from what makes battelfield a fun franchise, not an improvement on the formula.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

whaley posted:

2042 is going to fail because the beta is buggy, compared to the successful battlefield 3 where you couldn't move without falling through the ground in the beta, or battlefield 4 where you couldn't play through an entire round without it crashing

Yes this is the reason people are worried about 2042 and nothing else, yup, just this.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Sedisp posted:

Hm. This game seems like a bad battlefield game. Not gonna play this.

It is unfortunately

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

It has absolutely atrocious LOD pop in, I have no idea why people think it looks good

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

The utter failure that was the 2042 beta made me check out BFV and its actually really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

After playing bfv more I can safely say there is a ton of QoL improvements that really make teamwork easy and fun.

Which may come as a shock to other people in this thread but I actually had a TON of random people both in my squad and just on my team, playing with us, working together, throwing ammo, reviving, building fortifications.

It's almost like all the decisions in 2042 actively discourage that .... Hmmmmmmm