Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just tried playing today after preloading, and I'm getting an unable to connect to servers error. But, also, I can't see a mouse cursor or anything on the screen and all I can do with the keyboard is select close or retry. Enter doesn't do anything. Escape doesn't do anything.

edit: got in and can use the mouse now, but only after getting to the play select screen.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Question:
1. How do I get my Joystick to work with this game? It doesn't seem to detect any input from it. I have no other joysticks/gamepads plugged in.
2. When I have the variable zoom acog-like thing, every now and then I can toggle between the scope and the red-dot using F. But not all of the time. Sometimes it seems locked. Why doesn't it work all of the time and also, I can't find the keybind for whatever F is set to to change it. Does anyone know what it's called in the options/keybinds?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I still haven't figured out how to change the keybind for the optics magnification (or switching from the 3.5x to holosight)

Map key doesn't work. Still can't get my HOTAS to work with it.

For some reason, also, there's no indicator whether I'm in full or semi auto.

Is there a way to pick what class your want when the game starts/loaded in? I try to reselect not nothing happens and I have to spawn in/redeploy to be able to change class.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there a PC vers discord for this? Didn't see a link in the first 5 pages.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

I had this issue in BF1 and BFV on my 1440p ultrawide so I did this fix before even launching the game and the footage came out correctly.

Open your User.cfg in the Battlefield 2042 folder. Add the following 2 lines

Window.height 1440
Window.width 3440

Then in Origin right click on 2042, go to Game Properties I think it's called, Advanced Launch Options and in the command line field put

-noborder

There's a borderless option in the game UI as well, not sure if that matters.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The AA launcher is loving useless. Even on what should be an easy and direct shot, it loving misses without helicopters deploying chaff or barely moving at all. Sometimes the thing will just drop lock for no reason at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Booyah- posted:

So can you no longer spot enemies in the same way you could by pressing q in battlefield 1? I never played battlefield 4 but I really liked that mechanic because if you were outranged on all your weapons you could still be useful.

It's there but it doesn't work in any sort of consistent manner.

If you're about get get run over by a tank and you spot it, it will work 100% of the time, though.

If you do it on an enemy, it might or might not put a marker up. Maybe it'll give you an enemy marker. Maybe it'll have you yell to your squad to run there.

Maybe nothing will happen at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

One of my big gripes is that, although bullets do damage to the enemy, it doesn't seem to otherwise affect their movement, their aim, anything.

Also, I've had indicators that show me I've had two headshots+ on hits and still lost the fight after taking two hits.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason I have an immensely more difficult time shooting people in this than in BF5. I think it's something specific to me, since my friend is doing fine.

I think it stems from enemies being far more difficult to see.

Every player in this game looks like a shadow/silhouette until you get within 2ft from them, and then you can see textures and even a splash of color.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I am beyond frustrated with the AA launcher in this game.
This happens well over half the time I get a lock and shoot at aircraft.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1170888896

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grondoth posted:

This is because aircraft are skating around. Even after figuring out the controls of the jet, it's very hard to shoot anything because everything is skipping from place to place. Your missile just straight does not know where that helecopter is, so it can't hit them.

Also aren't the singer launchers reusable? They've got optics and everything. Should just reload the missile

:lol: Yes in real life the launchers are reusable, you're just supposed to reload it with a new stinger missile. But in the future you just throw the whole thing away and pull a whole other 5 foot long, 33lb launcher system out of your rear end.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Played a lot tonight. Ended up ditching the AA launcher because it is still loving worthless. Missiles are still avoiding hitting their target, or go in some weird triangle pattern around the helicopter and never hit it. The AA launcher is also weak. Even the littlebird takes multiple rocket hits.

Flying in this game sucks with m/k and I can't use my joystick. But I was in the Future Osprey and it took a good 4.5 AA rocket hits in a row to destroy us.

I seem to be able to be killed with two shots consistently if the hit sounds indicators are at all accurate, but still it takes me more than 2 headshots to kill anyone.

The B drop never works consistently.

Everything just seems futile at times.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

codo27 posted:

I cant believe people have said the little bird is good. I lock the minigun right onto a guy and let loose and maybe after 5 minutes he might be dead. And I'm someone who didn't have any trouble with vehicles in previous games

Mini guns do jack poo poo on most vehicles. It's the hydra rockets that are absolutely slaughtering people.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Propaganda Hour posted:

Almost forgot to add this. Enemy with a teal outline, which was the reason why I didn't shoot him and he killed me.

Something like this happened to me a lot of times. In every case they correctly showed up as an enemy until I got downed. The outlines are never consistent. sometimes it'll show enemies as friendly outlines. it'll usually show my squad mates correctly but even if there's a friendly near me that is a medic they may not even show up with a blue outline. It's really bugged.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm fairly certain this is the unbindable F keybind to switch between acog/rmr sight on the one scope:

Whenever I try to change the bind to something else, it fails and stays at F.
Before I first started trying to set it, the bind box was empty.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Flying in this game is just so counter intuitive. I don't think I've ever played anything so weird whether with KBM or controller.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sivlan posted:

Tearing my hair out trying to get flightstick to work via emulation and it turns out the game doesn't even recognize any controller at all (PC obviously).

What. the. gently caress. Tried a Xb 360, an Xb One, DS4, hell even put a switch controller in.

:argh:

I had this problem too. I had to unplug my joystick when my xbox one controller was connected, and then the xbox one controller worked.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You have to get to lvl 15 before unlocking the rappel guy

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They have not fixed the change magnification keybind on PC. It's not listed and it is hard coded to F.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Does playing against bots level guns? Seems like you get normal XP for overall progression but the loadouts are completely broken and I cant use anything but the M5? So I can't tell if it's good for gun progress or not.

If so the bot matches might actually be an easy way to level guns. It's actually surprisingly fun to play solo.

It will only level up the weapon until you get to the 'mastery' stages. After that, kills stop counting once you start mastery 1 on that weapon.

Regular XP is there, just really low. There's also an XP cap. But, you'll still get your levels/level unlocks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DrBox posted:

On the list of "Why would they remove that!?" a dev confirmed on Reddit they are adding back in the nearby medic list and the ability to ping a downed player as a medic to tell them you're coming like in BF5.

You can already ping downed players: they have to be in a direct line of sight but it doesn't seem to tell the downed player (or your squad) anything. I was doing it all night last night and I asked friends in my squad if they got any sort of notification that I pinged them when they were down and they said they didn't.

Also, my impression was that when you were downed: if there's a green highlight around you that means its a squad mate and if they have a blue highlight, it means they are a medic not in your squad.

I'm really unhappy that they don't let you level mastery in co-op/solo.

I've been leveling the LCMG since it seems to be the best all-arounder over the M5 because the M5 doesn't have enough ammo to compensate for how inaccurate/low damage it feels. I just wish you could rebind the switch magnification key.

I'm glad they made enemies a teeny bit more distinctive: they all now have red chemlights on them so you can tell when you're closer.

Does anyone else have a bug every now and then where you can't aim or shoot while on foot? It seemed to happen most often as I was getting out of a vehicle, but the only way I could get around it was to respawn.

Hourglass is the worst map.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Anybody else run into the bug where a friendly teammate renders as an enemy? No name overlay when aiming at them either.

Didn't have them render as an enemy fully: for instance they didn't have the red chem lights on them, but a teammate wasn't showing as friendly at all (no green or blue dot). Like 10 teammates were shooting at him at once over and over as he ran past because the IFF was not working until he respawned.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

happyhippy posted:

I bet you thats the first Battle Pass.
I would kill for a BF3 Metro map.
128 players in that clusterfuck, with robot dogs and 10 sentry guns at choke points, peak Battlefield.

I am pretty sure there's no way in hell a map is going to be part of a battle pass unlock.

Thirsty Dog posted:

I don't get the "Haard One" joke

HA▯ARD ▯ONE

Anyway, yesterday it seemed hits weren't registering or I'd have to nail down 8 hits with the LCMG vs 2 hits for SMG from an enemy from about 50m away. If the death outline is accurate, I've been sniped by enemies from behind multiple layers of cover that they shouldn't have been able to see me, let alone hit me with a bullet. It is really loving frustrating to try to kill people in this game as it never seems to loving work and seems to be a stroke of luck every time.

Gunplay and fighting mechanics in this game suck compared to MW/WZ. Movement is OK but traversal is clunky.

I'm tired of playing Hourglass. I loathe Manifest in breakthrough.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

[*]Yes, everyone can carry a rocket launcher, but if you do then your team doesn't get to use anything else. Taking out vehicles reliably requires a lot of rocket launchers. Again, maybe the answer is get gud and have entire squads dedicated to anti-air or whatever, but good luck with that.

Are the M5's able to be laser guided? If so, it might make things slightly better with the SOFLAM unlock. Even better if they can do top down attacks so the launcher doesn't need LOS.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dynamite Dog posted:

it's also really really stupid that you can't tell it to ignore joysticks. i have to unplug two different peripherals just to play this game because if I don't it snaps my view straight down to the ground

Which is doubly hosed up because you can't even use a loving joystick anyway.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I've been trying to get a handle on the mechanics of the spawn beacon but I am not really sure how it works. I tried searching, but the only thing I came up with was a post from the beta.

No one seems to be spawning on them even though I'm putting them relatively close to an objective that would take a while to get to. Is it limited to my squad? I think I can only spawn on it once or twice, though, before it doesn't work. Can other players spawn on it multiple times?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

D-Pad posted:

I call this dev syndrome. When the devs are making a game like this they are not playing the same game. When they play they have an entire team playing the "correct" way and all coordinating to boot. No 10 wookies hanging back sniping, teammates always revive and throw ammo etc.

Imagine that scenario but your whole team is coordinating so you can all assault via heli, VTOL, wings it, and elevators at the same time. That sounds loving rad as hell and probably what happens when they play among themselves.

Playing with pubbies is a fundamentally different experience. You can tell a lot of design decisions were made because of this dynamic when you start looking.

Haha that reminds me back in the day of Tribes where the Penny Arcade dudes hated the hell out of skiing and thought it ruined the game while everyone else realized quickly how much of a loving slog it was to have to run everywhere. It made the game so much better.

Murvin posted:

Holy poo poo prox sensors are so good and rack up points like crazy and I suggest everyone roll with those if you care about that.

They are outstanding. Wonder how much they're gonna get nerfed along with the PP.

Kazinsal posted:

Anyone else experiencing a bug where weapon attachments don't unlock in your collection screen until after you restart the game? Most annoying thing I've encountered so far.

Not since I quit back to Exodus as soon as the point total bar fills up.

There is fun gameplay here, but it needs polish. The UI and weapon attachment stuff needs a big overhaul, though.

There should be more than 8 or whatever loadouts you can save, they should be listed vertically and easily scrolled. They need to be able to be copied.

Weapon attachment sets should have their own 'loadouts' as well, so one loadout I can have a gun configured for long range and another configuration of that gun for short range. I know this can be set with the T menu, but sometimes I don't want the same attachments in the same slots by default or I might go with a different setup altogether.

The reason the SMG's are overpowered is that, despite how loving big the maps are, for all practical purposes: most gunfights are taking place at a relatively short range. At longer ranges it takes a while for a bullet to get somewhere and with how people can strafe so easily without losing accuracy- it's not worth it unless you have a sniper or dmr. I dunno. Maybe make AR bullets a lot faster or something than the SMG.

Also:
This game could really use a way to link squads or get multiple squads together in a match.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

"Part Disabled 10 XP"

OK BUT WHAT PART

Part(ially)?

Anyway, today I was driving the LATV and whenever I took damage my wheels were on fire and I was driving a lot slower. I never noticed it before. It's like the devs are just flipping variables in the server configs or some poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Has anyone ever gotten a successful takedown in MP? I did it on a bot once, but this game is so finicky. I can stand right behind someone, still, and if they budge even a millimeter the animation doesn't go through and I'm sitting there like an idiot with my knife out getting shot in the face.

I was hoping this was like MW/Cold War, when you hold the button in range and you sort of 'catch them' and do the kill.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Wait till you have the takedown animation completely play through only for the guy to not actually be dead and then kill you :buddy:

Yea, that was nuts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield2042/comments/qv0hr5/i_have_no_choice_but_to_delete_this_game_now/

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Battlefield 2042: No one knows how any of this is supposed to work.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Are prox grenades still disabled?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The soldiers talking poo poo pregame is the best in solo since they're looking around talking to no one.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That zombie mode was a loving slog. The only weapons worth using a quarter way through the half hour timer were the LMGs. gently caress having to get 10 headshots to kill a zombie.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's tomorrow and Tom doesn't have a follow up to his cliffhanger 2042 tweet.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Every time I tried a melee today I got a takedown instead. Which is weird because usually I can never get a takedown and instead do an awkward slash at nothing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There could be 12 million concurrent players and voip and I'd still be soflamming the enemy littlebird waiting for someone, anyone, to take a shot after it's murdered half our team.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DrChu posted:

I try to shoot at whoever's been soflammed but you still end up at the mercy of the short lock-on range of the missile launcher, as well as the time spent acquiring the target which resets if you pass by a branch or leaf. And then that first shot gets flared away anyway, so nothing happens until the second volley, and that's only if the pilot/driver decides to stick around.

The most egregious problem with short lock-on ranges is that it's not just limited to man portable poo poo. Trying to level a jet was a pain in the rear end because even if you're flying really slow, the time it takes to lock on and fire two AA missiles on a relatively stationary helicopter meant that you're practically colliding with the helicopter by the time you get the second missile off.

I think the range of the FXAA can be extended, but not too much. The M5 is pretty balanced in range. I'd love it to have another 100m in range because that's about the distance it still 'seems' lockable. Giving it more range than that might make it unbalanced as it could lock out an area by a good squad. Then again, hell, make the range of the M5 and SOFLAM lock infinite since there's no benefit to it other than the team liking the accomplishment and the likelihood of a squad being able to coordinate this is low. Anyone else in squad is getting jack poo poo as far as points for damage, and the SOFLAM operator gets no credit other than spotting it in the first place.

The lock shouldn't be disabled by going through light foliage, for sure.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fidelitious posted:

Soldiers will walk into an allegedly war-torn abandoned city and find it in pristine condition with homes that mysteriously have literally nothing in them.

Ah, so those huge 'cities' in China that, although there are dozens of new apartment complexes around, absolutely no one lived in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Man I gotta say though, last night I joined a breakthrough match that was half over and we were attacking on Renewal. It got to the last objectives and the last tickets. We get down to about forty tickets and there was one last desperate push to get the high one (B I think) and as we captured it we started to lose A. It went into overtime and we held them off and won with zero tickets. Just holding B while watching an absolute surge of bodies throwing themselves at the objective was great. They weren't AIs either, they were actually players that played the objective.

Breakthrough is pretty neat in the objective forcing and funneling every player into one of two points. Some maps, though, the gap between attacker spawn and the objectives is just a little too far of a hike.