Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Game is fun, but yeah - the build is really rough. Lots of graphical hiccups (flickering, etc.) on Series X, although the framerate was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Would love to be able to talk about my experience so far in the EA Play trial but the servers are still hosed on Xbox so basically I can just talk about this boat. Which is a pretty decent looking boat.

Man, kinda weird that a few months back everyone thought that COD was making GBS threads the bed and that BF was going to take the crown this fall and now the tides have really turned.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Who was the genius who thought forcing you right off the bat into a really dumb tutorial match without asking was a great idea.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

At least you got to play.

Xbox servers seem to be up now, at least.

So far it’s definitely improved from the beta on console, at least technically. I have to play for a while to get back into the swing of things, right now it has that early BF issue of feeling like I’m running a long way to get domed by someone I can’t even see, and then rinsing and repeating.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

You can play early if you have Gamepass Ultimate or EA Play Pro, using the 10h free trial option. You don't even have to use a VPN. Folks who bought the ultimate package across platforms can play starting tomorrow, as well (at 3am EST, I think, at least on Origin). Some Euro site did a pricing error last week and I managed to snag the ultimate version for $50, and I am feeling extremely good about the purchase.

Having played some more, I think it's actually pretty decent, albeit with a fair amount of launch jank. When poo poo is popping off it's definitely very cool and feels decently next-gen on console. I'm excited to crank poo poo up to ultra on my PC tomorrow.

poo poo did 100% crash and turn my Series X off though so :dice: gunna continue to :dice: I guess.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 11, 2021

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe this is just the “Battlefield experience” but it feels like 99% of my time is just getting domed by people with sniper rifles that I can’t see with basically no recourse.

Like is there a reason to use another gun because the sniper seems like it’s basically a rail gun.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game is so weird. I think it looks fantastic and I really appreciate the scale, but I also feel like I play like absolute dogshit and it's frustrating.

I think the maps being so huge and it feeling like it takes forever to get to points/back into the action contributes to it for sure. Also a healthy dose of it feeling like TTK on me is extremely low, but I dump bullets into enemies and they just shrug it off.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I paid $50 for the ultimate version and I kinda feel like I got my money’s worth.

It’s fun in that the “battlefield moments” are there, but as it is I don’t really feel like it has great legs. The competition is just kind of better this year - Vanguard feels better to play and feels more rewarding match-to-match, while Halo (based on the flight testing) just feels like it’s going to absolutely dumpster both of them when it launches.

Hopefully a few months down the line they’ll add some additional maps, balance and tweak the shooting, and the battle passes will add some needed flavor.

Nothing does pure spectacle in MP quite like BF, though, I’ll give them that. First game in a while that made me feel really good about getting a new 3070.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 13, 2021

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Skyarb posted:

I thought vanguard was getting panned? Is it actually good? Seems like nonsense "red dots on every WW2" kinda weird nonsense.

But if it's good I clearly have a pattern of wasting money so...

How does it compare to MW, cold war was a complete miss for me.

It’s basically MW with a WW2 veneer. It’s pretty clearly focused on core gameplay over being in any way “true to history”, and the setting is technically an alternate history WW2 so it’s whatever.

Loads better than Cold War and probably close to as good as MW was, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

How did you get it for so cheap?!

Tbh my 10 hours ran out while I was having a good time and I impulse spent $90 (95 if you count the 5 bux for EA play to try it out) for the deluxe version so I could keep playing. I like the game a lot now that I am starting to settle in, but still feel mildly sick about dropping that much cash on it lol.

I got super lucky and some Euro shop did a pricing error for like an hour. Apparently I wasn’t the only one because it leveled their website, but I managed to get my order through, lol.