Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
64v64 jets only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Performance report for the PC release on a i5-7500, 16GB DDR4 2133, GTX 1080 build: 70-80fps on a mix of medium and high settings, 1080p, drops to around 50-60 in extremely heavy fighting, otherwise fairly stable. Almost no stuttering unlike the beta, and in general feels extremely playable. The CPU and memory speed is a massive bottleneck, yet it seems like GPU utilisation is fairly moderate so this is definitely a CPU intensive game.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Squeezy Farm posted:

drat the graphics are a muddy mess AND it doesn't run well.

Runs pretty well on my end so far but I swear the TAA is going crazy and it feels like finer details are blurry, making it simultaneously clear and fuzzy. Hard to describe but it's like there needs to be a sharpening filter.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've been playing the 128 player zombies game on portal and even though you never win as a defender it's still incredibly fun mowing down waves of superfast knifewielding players. Also did some 128 PvE on 2042 mode with the enemy team being AI and the bots are suprisingly capable.

Also the amount of hangtime you can get with tanks on some of the dunes on Hourglass is loving hilarious. I goomba-stomped a jeep once and it was as great as it sounds.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I checked the perf overlay for my stats on an i5 7500, 16GB DDR4 2133mhz, GTX 1080Ti @1080p with all settings medium, HBAO and TAA high and yep the CPU is a major bottleneck, the GPU sits at 7-8ms per frame and barely moves while the CPU is at 15-40ms with extreme variance at times. Changing the settings to ultra with everything on had much the same performance. The i5 7500 is a real stinker nowerdays it seems, 4 cores with only 4 threads is super handicapped these days.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 13, 2021

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Considering I can get full games of BC2 rush on Australian servers without cross play, I feel like something is going wrong. Also I'm sure there's a lot of players who didn't opt in for early access so I'm sure the pop will improve come actual release.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

drewmoney posted:

Game is already on sale for in Australia for $19, where new release games are usually closer to $100.

Literally can't find copies of it anywhere on any platform for less than $60, PS4 included. You sure you didn't get it mixed up with EA pro's subscription cost lmao

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah I just spent 10 minutes waiting for a hazard zone match to start and when it finally did, all three of my teammates had the mouse bug and had to quit. Just... lol dice, lol

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah the rush mode is actually pretty good, who'd have thought. Not dice obviously.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The most popular portal mode, at least in Australia most of the time, is a "milsim" mode aka no hud, near instant ttk, 1942 El Alamein only. It's loving boring as poo poo, not fun to play at all, but I guess all the neckbeard operators are drawn to it like flies to poo poo. What I'm saying is, I hope I can unlock the Santa suit for use in that mode and trigger an entire server at once.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Attackers steamrolling defenders, at least in my experience so far, is because people really, REALLY don't like reviving, dropping ammo or health, putting down turrets, dropping mines on paths, putting down c4, setting up spawn points or basically anything that isn't sitting on top of a building and uselessly plink at the attackers. Can't count the number of times an MCOM would be armed and literally not a soul aside from me even bothering to try to defuse it. Really frustrating solo experience at times, especially when compared to playing with my regular squadmates and being able to completely lock down an MCOM with 2 Boris, Irish and Angel.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
So they added Vehicle TDM as a new template for Portal, cool cool let's make something interesting.

The vehicle limit is lower than conquest and can't be changed, the AI doesn't leave spawn, doesn't spawn in vehicles and doesn't enter vehicles. In fact, the AI is completely incapable of doing anything at all.

Really knocking it out of the park dice, just incredible.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I run a 4-core 4-thread piece of poo poo i5-7500 and I basically have to nuke every process outside of origin and bf2042 to get a paltry average of 30-40fps in 128 player AOW. God forbid I have a twitch stream on in the background, that's an easy 20% performance loss right there. My parents both run a 6-core 8600k with the same 1080ti I have and their experience in AOW is significantly smoother.

This game is extremely taxing on any CPU below 6 cores when it comes to 128 players (with 8 cores being ideal but still lacking in top-end performance) and no amount of settings or config file tweaks will fix it. What makes it worse is that the 2042 maps are overall more taxing on the CPU so while 128 players on El Alamein is somewhat tolerable, 128 players on Manifest is loving awful and I don't think my fps ever reaches 40 at any stage of the map. 2042 rush has been an absolute godsend in that regard, I can actually play the best parts of the 2042 maps with progression and good fps.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Looks like Rush won't be sticking around permanently, BF twitter confirms it's going away in a week. This is probably the dumbest possible course of action they could take - re-introduce a well-loved game mode that actually makes the new maps tolerable and with much smoother performance, let people play it for a few weeks and really start to enjoy it, then just rip it out of the game and never talk about it again. The negative backlash over it is going to be massive, and incredibly easy to avoid. The pessimist in me believes that they only want to rotate game modes in and out because the population is dying so fast that they fear heavy dilution of players across too many modes, or something equally moronic.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's the opposite of a labor of love

It's a bowel movement of pure distilled hatred.

edit: :siren: Get your breakpoint kaleidoscope rooftop bot farming in while you can, rooftop objectives are being removed from Breakthrough :siren:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
holy poo poo the PKB is a loving laser now

edit: slap a 3x scope on, long barrel, use standard rounds and the bipod and no joke this poo poo is busted, just a tiny bit of vertical jump on the first shot and it's after it's almost recoilless

edit edit: just won a rush map as defense that lasted less than ten minutes, and in that time I got 58 kills with the pkb just sitting at range mowing down attackers lmfao

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 9, 2021

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
So gun master is pretty poo poo, the maps are gigantic yet despite that there's too many players, the weapon progression is really bad and allows for extreme ramping, and you have to go through 7 loving sniper rifles and 4 RPGs. Got rank 1 after a half dozen games and I'm never touching it again. What a waste of an official portal experience slot.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Is there any new bot farming metas for solo\co-op after the kaleidoscope tower farm removal? I've been doing Renewal and not capping the first points and farming there, works pretty well but not as good as tower farm. Wanna get this K30 maxed out.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whaley posted:

no idiot

Nah, there's one in your post but it's not me

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
1942 vs 2042 mode is just awful lmao, 1942 gets a single attack plane versus 2042's two choppers and given no way to shoot them down other than dumbfire bazookas, and otherwise symmetrical vehicle limits for each side, despite every one of 2042's vehicles being capable of destroying any of the 1942 vehicles. Every round I played was a complete one-sided stompfest, I don't think the 1942 side ever captured a single point the entire time, they just got spawncamped for 10 minutes. You'd swear this free weekend was intended to give the game more bad exposure with these kinda things.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Considering I almost never see anyone but me using the SOFLAM and nobody ever fires rockets at my marked targets, yeah it is a revelation for a lot of clueless players. Lots of people don't even know what the red square they can see means. And the game flat out does not tell you it works on dumbfire rockets like the M5. Also lol everything on YouTube is clickbait and has been for years and years now grandpa, get with the times.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've had EA Pro Pass for awhile now, I don't see why I wouldn't play the game if I enjoy it just because other people are upset about it. People can continue to post complaints on reddit, and I'll continue to keep playing if I'm having fun.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Been having quite a lot of success with cheesing Angel's resupply crate to nuke aircraft consistently - Spawn as angel with squad beacon, find a good vantage point with cover, pop down beacon and supply crate and then redeploy on the beacon as Rao with SOFLAM. Have a loadout with a beacon so you can replace it once you redeploy. Wait til vehicles get well within range (most chopper pilots will flare and bug out as soon as they start getting hacked/locked), then hack and SOFLAM lock them so they can't flare, use the crate to switch to an M5, and enjoy your incredibly easy aircraft kills. I spent most of yesterday just doing this and I was pretty much singlehandedly fending off the enemy team's aircraft. In between chopper murder I'll spot soldiers with the SOFLAM, hack the closer ones and snipe them with the DXR and reap the sweet sweet spotting and assist xp.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The fundamental big issues most people had with the game haven't been addressed, so if any of those things were dealbreakers before, they're still dealbreakers now. The only real significant changes are they unfucked recoil and spread, tweaked some of the maps a bit, added in rush and 64 player modes (possibly temporary which would be completely idiotic, but DICE) and sped up the transitions between matches. Alongside a bunch of bugfixes, but that should be expected. I still play and I still have fun, but that's only because I really enjoy battlefield-style games and have a pretty high tolerance for DICE's bullshit. This was pretty borderline though, if they didn't add the 64 player modes and rush I would have stopped playing, because 128 players is a stupid dumb clusterfuck that wrecks my PC. Also, because most of the hardcore vets seem to have left, the population that remains is mostly console players and more casual pc players. Consequently, the average level of skill is lower than you'd expect, and as a result you can go on some incredibly fun rampages.

edit: If you really want to give it a try but want to spend as little as humanly possible, get the xbox pc game pass as it's currently $1 for 3 months access, and it comes with an EA Play pass too for free, which will let you try up to 10 hours of 2042. Can't think of a cheaper way to try it out.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 24, 2021

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The vehicle physics are truly bizzare, it's like gravity barely exists but also every vehicle has negative thrust facing downward from the model. It's the only reason I can explain the incredibly wonky mid-air antigravity barrelrolls you can get into with the right angle and speed, and how hovercraft were able to climb vertical surfaces.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 24, 2021

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
You'll never have that large a number of vehicles sadly, the engine apparently flat out cannot handle much more than we already get per map, except El Alamein which let's you have a shitload of tanks, but that's only because the map is utterly barren with no destructible structures, no props, no anything but terrain and some rocks. The Vehicle TDM mode is a loving joke in that regard, each team still has a 1/2 vehicle per category limit, and that can't be changed. Oh also the AI doesn't work and won't leave spawn.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Really wish DICE would just drop frostshite and move onto an engine that isn't a giant flaming clusterfuck of technical debt. Pick Unreal for fucks sake, at least devs for UE actually exist. But the bean counters would surely shrivel up and die if so much as a cent of royalties had to be paid, so onwards the death march goes.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah I know it's never going to happen, Frostbite is as core to DICE as Creation Engine is to Bethesda, and come hell or high water they will stick to their janky homebrew engine even if it drags whole franchises kicking and screaming into the void with it.

I do find it kinda odd that literally nobody has really tried to make a direct battlefield copy. Squad is the only thing I know of that comes close, but IMO it leans too hard in the milsim direction and you never get the kind of big ridiculous moments like in more action-leaning games like battlefield. Doesn't help that it's completely dead in Australia, but then again every game here has gently caress-all servers unless it's the new big release.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'd kill for another UT2K4, definitely agree there. The jeep with the razorblade wings was incredibly fun.

I'd commit planetary-scale genocide for another Tribes 2. Hell, I'd even accept Tribes Ascended re-released with fresh servers.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
BF2042 definitely deserves those review scores IMO, userscore dogpiling notwithstanding. There's no denying objective reality, it's buggy, runs poorly and is missing a tonne of features. But despite that, there's still lots of fun to be extracted from the game, and if you want a modern themed BF game to play it's either this or BF4, and I am thoroughly sick and tired of 4.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I do because I don’t want to play against PC pros.

Unfortunately you're limited to only other PS5 players then, and depending on region and time yeah, I could see there being not enough people queuing to start a match. Nobody knows what the playercount for consoles is, but I can't imagine it's doing any better than PC is, and PS5s are still relatively rare compared to the sea of PS4 and Xbox One.

If it's any consolation, PC players in my experience are little better than console players on average. Seems like most of the really good players have left for older titles or something else entirely.

edit: lol just noticed a dumb bug while typing this, I have the game alt-tabbed and just noticed my mouse cursor is flickering between the windows one and the glowy blue one 100 times a second.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 4, 2022

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The only benefit of the doubt I'll give that guy is that he's been brought in to manage 2042's ongoing development specifically. But this is DICE, and this is EA, so I fully expect nothing to change and I'll be mightily surprised if it does. Fool me 5 times DICE, shame on me.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Eh rush died out weeks ago, the spawns are just too broken to have any kind of balanced play. Semi decent attacking team would never lose, half the rounds end within 5 minutes. 64 breakthrough is superior in every way.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Australia, 6pm-9pm. Couldn't get into a game last night at all outside of 128 breakthrough, of which the player count never got over ~60. 64 Conquest and Breakthrough are dead as gently caress, portal mode is a ghost town and even featured modes can't get a game going. I can tell why it's happening too (aside from bad game) - people lose their patience waiting 10+ minutes at "waiting for players" and because the game just refuses to launch a server unless it can meet some arbitrary minimum playercount, they quit and go play a game they can actually queue into. Like I don't think it's so dead that there's literally not enough people playing to round up 16 people to get a server started, but you can't tell what the fucks going on during the waiting and you get sick of it real fast. Dice probably figured they'd solve the "nobody joins the server because nobody's playing it because nobody joins the server" problem by forcing matchmaking to lump people into lobbies, but uhhhh that only works if it doesn't take 10 loving minutes to start a match.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whaley posted:

did you try plugging your modem in?

turn your modem on

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
lol they added rush back to portal featured modes

Also the musical chairs mode they added is actually kinda fun, dumb, but fun - it's TDM on the tiny maps, you get 15 seconds to run around and get in position and then everyone freezes, it picks a random primary/secondary weapon for everyone and you get 5 seconds to kill before it repeats, until someone gets 15 kills. Winning strategy seems to be get as high up as possible and pick off exposed people.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 15, 2022

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

DrChu posted:

Did they increase the respawn time? I played a few maps earlier and noticed on average it took a lot longer to deploy. Not that I ever really knew why it would take me sometimes two seconds or sometimes over ten to redeploy, but today was mostly the latter.

The respawn timer starts counting down when you get downed, not when you die. So if you're downed for 10s then die, your respawn timer will be 10s shorter.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
lol this is loving dead in AU region, I cannot get any mode to start and I didn't even have another person join in on my squad while loading the entire hour. It's late here yeah, but that's incredible. Well done DICE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I love how they introduced Vehicle TDM modes into an engine that clearly cannot handle more than a handful on anything but the most barren, featureless maps. El Alamein lets you have up to 9 tanks per team! Wow! Too bad it's a featureless, coverless boring shitfest that takes 10 minutes to traverse, and tank combat in BF games is simplistic at best! Oh yeah, the AI just flat-out doesn't work either!