Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

I am kinda hyped for this as I don't care about WW theater games. Only played V and 1 for the goon squadding.

However, seeing that little bird in the trailer made me remember how DICE caved to the whiny pilots in BF 4, who cried because they didn't totally dominate, and nerfed the SRAW into uselessness because it allegedly was overpowered.
And also how they completely revamped all weapons after like 2 years which was unnecessary and confusing for everyone.

So yeah cautiously optimistic but not expecting any kind of balance or solid long term plan from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I think one thing that would be nice for them to add would be a "simplified" mode for helicopters and jets where a lot of the more complicated aspects of flying are automated(like say for Helicopters on a controller becomes essentially the same as moving or aiming while on foot and most of the stuff relating to the chopper's angles and positioning just gets handled by the computer)

This may sound like a good idea if you are looking to pilot a helo, but making them easier to fly would be a miserable time for everybody else because littlebirds have always been OP.

If the skill needed to fly them properly drops to "anybody can do it" that would exacerbate the problem even more.

So if they did that, they would also need to provide effective countermeasures or nerf the guns and then the crying from the skies would be deafening.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

:same: but especially for a (near) future one with fun gadgets not a historical, those are just not my thing

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

My personal problem wit grfx card prices is that playing on console is a no go for me. I always play FPS games on PC because I can't stand the way they feel on a controller. KB/M is just hardwired in my brain. Everything else is fine, but not for a FPS.
I even have a PS5 but just nope, does not compute.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

I have a hard time defining what it was about BFV that I disliked. I didn't HATE the game but I got bored of it very quickly and never really had as much fun in it as in previous battlefield games.

Aside from other things, there were generally too few vehicles on most maps, no transport helicopters, so mobility was limited, a BF game needs air and ground transport options, and also zip vehicles like quads.

Yeah it was WW2, but maybe WW2 just isn't a good setting for a BF game if it limits the vehicle options due to "realism".
They should have gone with cyborg woman or whatever that was and gone full one alternate reality instead of giving in to "gamers".

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

They also nerfed anti air gadgets at some point....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i will never forgive DICE for nerfing the SRAW against little birds and making it take more than 1 hit to take one down. complete bs

And at the same time reducing the speed to lower than a LB's top speed and giving it a turning radius like a lunar orbit.

That was the worst decision ever just to appease the whiny skylord streamers who were upset that some people learned to reliably use a hard counter vs LB kill farmers who ruined the fun for all other players.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Graphics card prices are coming down slowly.

Now the real trick is to wait long enough and buy one for as close as possible to MSRP yet not wait too long, lest BF2042 or the next Covid Wave comes and prices go up again.

I really need a new card, my rx480 just doesn't cut it anymore, especially not on WQHD.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyway, maybe the new Goon platoon emblem should totally be :frogout: again!

They dont do lcustom emblems any more unfortunately. Too many dicks and swastikas I guess.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

128 feels like a number must go up decision.

Getting a 64 player server full can be difficult at times and no amount of bots will help improve the experience if 2/3rds of the human team drops out because they are losing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

The best game mode is whichever one you play with at least 2 squads of goons, the more goon squads the better the game mode.

Which auto-disqualifies any mode that doesn't have squads, which is a good thingTM. Looking at you lovely battle royale mode whose name I can't even remember.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Metro but it's 2021 on Earth and the map didn't get any better with age

FTFY

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

I wonder how much fun it is to go through 3 billion different servers with custom modes to find one that is actually fun. After all, filtering the servers in the other games to get rid of "24/7 what have you" ones was already a pain.

One thing I noticed about that trailer is whacky poo poo galore but not a single female soldier, or did I miss one? I guess they decided to keep their head down to not enrage the "gamers" anymore I guess, cowards.

Bring back female soldiers and custom LGBTQ emblems, it was the funniest poo poo to see all the people get sooooo mad at us.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

So they definitely understand that "fun" was the missing piece in their sandbox war game but still they might gently caress up any number of things even if the beta goes well.

That's why they gave us an editor, let people make their own fun and you don't have to put in effort. Bing Bong so simple.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

BF5 was on PS+ in May, that should have given it a good boost.

Bf1 was/is in the PS+ collection iirc.
Edited for correction, had the wrong BF in mind

Hopper fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 27, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

poo poo my rx 480 is officially super outdated now. I bought that one for BF4... Let's hope the price for the rx 6800 xt drops a little more.
1k € for a grfx card is ridiculous.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

henpod posted:

Here is the best footage yet. Clear as day, the player has a good framerate and is actually able to play. He is in a chopper raining down hell on things, and it gives you a really good view of the entire map from high up. I want this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJIbn-dyUaY#t=10s

This looks really good but I have a feeling they might have to remove/change the rotor shadow flicker in the helo dashboard. As it looks right now, that might be an a+ seizure trigger for some people...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

SpaceBanditos posted:

... but I'll waive that because that's something they surely will have addressed when it comes time for a beta.

People said that a lot about missing and broken stuff in BFV as well...

Seriously my number 1 wish is for them to finally make a BF game and remember what was good about the prior game and how they did it. Every new BF game was missing some blatantly obvious features that the prior game had. And it either took ages to implement or didn't come at all.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

I never understood Metro. It just caters to the "muh K/D" crowd and is the least BF of all BF maps. No vehicles and all just tunnels. It sucks in every iteration.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

I am getting more and more desperate with my old rear end RX480. I will try until october to get a new graphics cards but if it doesn't happen I'll have to spend silly money just so I can play this.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

boofhead posted:

I don't suppose any European-based goons play BF as part of a group/server/community? English/Italian/German language is fine. I just bought BF5 on sale and I can't tell if any of the groups in the PGS subforum have a presence there.. I've also got BF1 and BF4

I haven't played for some time because Covid Homeoffice and gaming a the same desk didn't work for me but I think Riflen and maybe Guillermus still play regularly with a bunch of other Europeans. I am sure in October there will be a huge uptick in Eurogoon squads, we sometimes ran 4 full squads in BF.
And you'd regularly find peole to play with since BF4.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I mean, I just like to have games playable and smooth without trying to max everything out, but I'm fuckable so

I'd rather sell the car than my body if I needed a grfx card tbh... :downsrim:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

this game (BF 2200 or whatever) is going to be garbage

The universal truth for a lot of MP games for me will always be:

The real fun is the goon squads we joined along the way (to this realization)

Worked for every BF since I started with 3.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Whatever it is, it will be the same as Firestorm or whatever that BR was called. A tacked-on mode that they could have left out to focus their development efforts on making a better core game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

BR is not bad. It is just that squeezing an entirely different subgame into the main game costs resources, and even if it is another studio entirely it still costs money budgeted for the main game that gets diverted.

I would go so far as to say adding more and more modes could potentially lead to loosing focus on what kind of game you want to make, and Dice don't seem the greatest at remembering what made the last iteration of BF good and carrying that over into the next.

And if you want to do it properly I would imagine you have to rebalance weapons and do a whole lot of other changes for a BR type experience to work. So essentially you are either maintaining two completely different types of game or one part suffers. And again, this is Dice/EA, not a great track record with "balancing" either.

Anyway, as long as the core modes work decently well, we will all be happy I guess.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

drat so does this means my rx480 is officially out? Or is it just gonna be lowest of the low details to get 20 fps?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Yeah what? I hate the numbering system on GPUs...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

humpthewind posted:

So GameStop and best buy are doing Steelbook covers for preorders but I can't figure out how to preorder the gold edition for ps5 on their websites. Am I an idiot? Has anyone else managed to do this?

I can't find any info on this but I assume gold and ultimate edition are digital only. EA has down this with other games before.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Normally I'd say don't spend 2k on a pre-built gaming PC. But given the current grfx card market, that's probably a better deal than sourcing individual parts.

I'd base it on your preferred input method for FPS games. If you normally play m&kb, a PC would probably be the better choice, unless xbox allows m&kb and you can set them up comfortably.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

PS5, let's goooooooooo!

Between the end of my BF4 days and 2042, I've been in infant/toddler-land and have been unable to regularly play online games with my bros basically at all for a few years now. Finally at a point where I can probably start back up and I'm taking 2042 day off to play the poo poo out of it.

I really wouldn't take launch day off if that's what you mean. Chances are there will be issues galore and the experience on day 1 won't be worth sacrificing a day off for.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

BIgDevine posted:

I know SA forums has goonswaffe corp on eve online. Please tell me we are going to have a group on this game to because I’m going to blitz this game when it comes out!

I do remember us Euro goons running under [SPRG] in BF games in the past, but that tag probably isn't PC anymore these days. Not sure what the current one is/will be.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

presumably having a gameplay sabotage option means they are going to start punishing players for sitting in the furthest corners of a map, never pushing objectives or contributing to victory

right? :confused:

It means people are going to report others who are "not playing the game right" .

Example: helo enthusiasts will report chronojam for using the AA too efficiently and locking down the skies, or other players using anti air rockets effectively. Because that sabotages their kill streaks and thus gameplay, you see.

Also jihad jeeping, sniper trolling etc., so anything fun.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

To get it to preload on Origin (where I bought it) I had to search for it in the store, and then click the "Try Now" button, and then I was able to add the beta to my library and begin downloading.

Same here

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Born in Bexhill posted:

I will buy when it is refined into a gentleman’s product

I respect your decision to never buy a BF game ever again.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

A friend asked about my BFV hours and I checked: 490.
Goon squads apparently made the bad BFV good enough to spend this much time in it.

I am optimistic for 2042 now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

AA truck is awesome good times...

User name post combo.... BF IS BACK

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Played a few rounds, surprised it runs at 60 fps on my rx480 at 1080p on low settings, but it does. Some dips but only minor.

There is a major bug with tanks though, when I tried gunner, the movement was irritatingly choppy and "bounced back and forth" a quarter turn. It was sickness-inducing bad. Seems to be the tank turret rotating this way and the gunner view that way that causes the issue.

Gamers fun overall but the map felt empty, I don't think that was 128 people tbh.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

I think they drop ammo and gun but not kit.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

I haven't managed to switch squads ingame and can rarely join on people's games, how do you squad up in this beta? And what's this (4/4 party) next to some names, does it mean squad is full?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

The AA launcher is loving useless. Even on what should be an easy and direct shot, it loving misses without helicopters deploying chaff or barely moving at all. Sometimes the thing will just drop lock for no reason at all.

Last round I played I would get the locking sound but the indicators weren't there, so I had to go by sound. Not that the thing is of any use anyway. Same as every BF, the littlebirds are way tougher than they should be.