Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

My system mostly holds 60fps in like Control and Back 4 Blood on Max settings, but noticed a bit of trouble in Forza when you are going too fast and the game needs to pause sometimes to stream in more of the world and it Sekiro it has stuttering issues when you move around and I assume it's having issues loading fast enough as well but not sure.

Do you think it's worth waiting for ddr5 or is it mostly a marginal upgrade?

Ok I changed to the 12600k. Is this recommended because gaming wouldn't use enough of the extra cores of the 12700k?

Ok I replaced the ram with the one you linked.

PC Part Picker has this compatibility note:
The Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Do you think this is an issue? Should I pick a different CPU Cooler?

It’s hard to know for sure. That might be not using an SSD or that might be the CPU.

You could always buy the NVME only, and if it doesn’t help use it in a full rebuilt.

The extra cores make functionally no difference at 1440p+. Not worth it for a strictly gaming machine.

Don’t bother with DDR5. Not worth it yet.

You could reach out to the company that makes the Fuma and ask about the backplate. Or see above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

pmchem posted:

I just built a 12700K box. the fuma 2 needs a lga 1700 mounting bracket that, when I checked, was not available / backordered everywhere. I ended up getting a noctua NH-D15S instead (had the updated bracket in box).

it's not worth waiting for ddr5, for alder lake

consider a cheaper motherboard such as msi pro z690-a ddr4 (comes in a wifi model too if needed)

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s hard to know for sure. That might be not using an SSD or that might be the CPU.

You could always buy the NVME only, and if it doesn’t help use it in a full rebuilt.

The extra cores make functionally no difference at 1440p+. Not worth it for a strictly gaming machine.

Don’t bother with DDR5. Not worth it yet.

You could reach out to the company that makes the Fuma and ask about the backplate. Or see above.

Thanks for the advice both of you! I think that plan makes sense. I'll get the NVME and then if I'm still want more performance I'll pick up the rest of the list.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was pretty disappointed by the Freezer 34 eSports Duo. It was fine idling, but it would hum pretty loudly when playing anything slightly more CPU intensive.

I picked up a Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 and I am blown away at how quiet and effective it is. It's both quieter and cooler. With the CPU-Z stress test, RPMs stay at 960, CPU temps at 52C. The Freezer wouldn't be able to maintain those temperatures, and would be loud. In a bunch of game benchmarks, the Freezer would often be approaching 1500RPM. The Frost Spirit stays around 900RPM, and is cooler. It might be colder today, but not by such a large margin.

It's hard to overstate how much better it is. It is a dual tower, but I'm still surprised.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You have discovered why the Fuma 2 is popular. Low-RPM dual towers are pretty great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For $30 it was a steal (unlike the A500).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Seems like you got a good deal.

They seem to go for about $60 most places. Congrats.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

i know nothing about PC gaming but i want to start playing the powerwashing simulator game. i also think i'd be good at shooting ppl so maybe want to try that out too. where does one start? i don't want a huge setup, something pretty small would be nice.

I'm in the US and can have a flexible budget, i already have a laptop for work and a macbook for personal stuff so i guess now i'll have ... three computers?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

jimmychoo posted:

i know nothing about PC gaming but i want to start playing the powerwashing simulator game. i also think i'd be good at shooting ppl so maybe want to try that out too. where does one start? i don't want a huge setup, something pretty small would be nice.

I'm in the US and can have a flexible budget, i already have a laptop for work and a macbook for personal stuff so i guess now i'll have ... three computers?
If all you're interested in are indie games and low spec mass audience shooters like fortnite or CSGO you could build a pretty cheap system, if you're looking for something more midrange that can play later 8th gen and current games you'd probably want to consider going with a prebuilt unless you're ok with paying the gpu scalp fee for a custom build.

This is roughly the prototypical midrange build right now if you go the diy route, give or take the particular 80+gold psu or case, depending on cpu and board choices you could shave off around 70-100$ by either going with a 12th gen i3 or going back to 10th/11th gen intel platform which has has a wider range of cheaper motherboards. Micro ATX cases that aren't hotboxes are a bit hard to come by at the moment, you can expect to pay a premium compared to an atx midtower.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 8 GB MECH 2X Video Card ($469.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.71 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1122.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-21 17:08 EST-0500

For comparison a prebuilt with a significantly better gpu with a crappier case and a slightly less powerful amd cpu for $1299. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6450623

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 21, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Where did you buy it for $30?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Where did you buy it for $30?

Amazon, they had a few thermalright coolers on sale a week or so ago. The Peerless Assassin was a few dollars more (I learned that a number of brands call their coolers "assassin"). I wasn't sure which to go with, but I ended up really happy with my purchase.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm not able to boot into my system's BIOS/UEFI. On the boot screen I hit Delete, but it just changes the screen to a cursor (not blinking) and responds to no further keyboard input. I have to do a hard reset.

Is my BIOS corrupted? It's an MSI B550-A Pro on the latest BIOS revision.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm not able to boot into my system's BIOS/UEFI. On the boot screen I hit Delete, but it just changes the screen to a cursor (not blinking) and responds to no further keyboard input. I have to do a hard reset.

Is my BIOS corrupted? It's an MSI B550-A Pro on the latest BIOS revision.

Probably.

Pull the CMOS battery.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Kid wants to join me and mom for Cod Zombies on a PC, I have an old GTX 970 laying around I could use, but is there a decent cpu/mobo combo I could pair it with? I'll find the ram myself once I know the other two.

If not I guess I'm going to costco for a prebuilt?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

maniacripper posted:

Kid wants to join me and mom for Cod Zombies on a PC, I have an old GTX 970 laying around I could use, but is there a decent cpu/mobo combo I could pair it with? I'll find the ram myself once I know the other two.

If not I guess I'm going to costco for a prebuilt?

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for exactly. Is there price you'd rather not go over? You can get a 10400F with the Asus Prime B560M-A for $255. A 12100F with the Asus Prime B660-A costs about the same and may be slightly better, but the 12100 is out of stock. Availability is low for the 12400 as well, but I'm not sure how needed it would be for your use case.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I posted this in the short HW questions thread, but that doesn't appear to get much traffic, and I've since done more troubleshooting.

I'm trying to reuse and old i7 4770k in an MSI Z87 G45 motherboard as an unRAID box and ran into some issues. I can't get the iGPU to display BIOS at all, or unRAID without the display glitching out. This happens with both, the HDMI port and DVI port with an adapter to an HDMI cable. I can't test the motherboard's VGA output as I don't have a cable or a monitor that has VGA input. If I plug in an old hard drive that used to be in this system, it pretty much immediately boots into Windows and I can use Windows no problem. I tried getting into BIOS through Windows Securrity, but gets me to a blank screen.

As a barebones system without any bootable devices, I can see POST codes after I power on, but then if I try to key into BIOS or the Boot Menu, I get a blank screen. I say blank because the backlight stays on, but not showing anything. If restart and I don't press any keys, EFI Shell loads. From there I can insert the USB drive and navigate to and load the .EFI file to load unRAID. Back to my previous note, unRAID works and I can connect to it from my main PC using the webGUIe, but the display out of the unRAID box is glitchy and freezes. If I try to reboot the system from the unRAID webGUI or using the power button with the USB already inserted, I just get a blank screen and I can't log into the unRAID webGUI from my PC, meaning unRAID isn't booting.

EFI Shell working:

After loading uNRAID, I was able to select GUI Mode, saw the first few lines of status text, then a cursor blinked twice and the display froze like this:

I thought I'd check what happens if I add a video card to the system, so I stuck my 3080 in and voila, I get the MSI splash screen and can get into BIOS. If I power on with the uNRAID USB inserted, it boots into unRAID automatically.

I've cleared the CMOS more times than I can count. I've tried setting the BISO to default to integrated graphics and that doesn't change anything. Not sure what else there is to do other than spend way too much money in the poo poo market on a poo poo video card to stick in a headless server just so it can boot from USB.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? My Google-fu has turned up this post on the Tom's Hardware forum (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/integrated-graphics-not-working-please-help.3216181/) and a few other threads having issues not getting BIOS displays on certain newer monitors.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

So I did my first Intel build tonight and do you normally have to press kinda hard on the socket lever for LGA1700? All the notches and the corner were lined up, just felt like I had to put a little more pressure than expected to lock in the CPU.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

PolishPandaBear posted:

I posted this in the short HW questions thread, but that doesn't appear to get much traffic, and I've since done more troubleshooting.

I thought I'd check what happens if I add a video card to the system, so I stuck my 3080 in and voila, I get the MSI splash screen and can get into BIOS. If I power on with the uNRAID USB inserted, it boots into unRAID automatically.

So a gpu fixes the problem?

Find an old simple gpu on ebay. If I understand your post correctly in the computer is not for gaming anyway.

Heres a gtx 630 passive for $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224794068417?hash=item3456c545c1:g:ktEAAOSwayxh5IC2

It’s always nice to have a second GPU on hand anyway in case one dies and you literally don’t have a video out.

I shopped for like 3 1/2 seconds to find that one but you get the idea.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 22, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

So I did my first Intel build tonight and do you normally have to press kinda hard on the socket lever for LGA1700? All the notches and the corner were lined up, just felt like I had to put a little more pressure than expected to lock in the CPU.

Oh yeah, I mean this gen has so much pressure on the socket that it's bending the loving board in some cases iirc

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Oh yeah, I mean this gen has so much pressure on the socket that it's bending the loving board in some cases iirc

i believe it. the socket lever is bowing, but the CPU is seated.

so i've got a new problem - i can't boot into windows. My motherboard keeps going into bios settings, despite seeing both hard drives and the usb stick that i have win 10 on. CMOS problem maybe?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i believe it. the socket lever is bowing, but the CPU is seated.

so i've got a new problem - i can't boot into windows. My motherboard keeps going into bios settings, despite seeing both hard drives and the usb stick that i have win 10 on. CMOS problem maybe?

I think it could be a bios hard drive setting.

I once updated a BIOS and then my motherboard refuse to understand my hard drives.

Look into UEFI or just legacy. Or CSM.

I can’t remember what exactly fixed my problem but it might be related to what your problem is.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

I think it could be a bios hard drive setting.

I once updated a BIOS and then my motherboard refuse to understand my hard drives.

Look into UEFI or just legacy. Or CSM.

I can’t remember what exactly fixed my problem but it might be related to what your problem is.

will do, thanks. Googling also suggested doing a BIOS update, so I'm in the middle of that right now. I'll report back with how it turns out

E: changing to CSM did it! Thank you!

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 22, 2022

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spunkshui posted:

So a gpu fixes the problem?

Find an old simple gpu on ebay. If I understand your post correctly in the computer is not for gaming anyway.

Heres a gtx 630 passive for $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224794068417?hash=item3456c545c1:g:ktEAAOSwayxh5IC2

It’s always nice to have a second GPU on hand anyway in case one dies and you literally don’t have a video out.

I shopped for like 3 1/2 seconds to find that one but you get the idea.

I tried one last thing which ended up solving everything. I enabled Windows 8/8.1 Features in BIOS (:lol:), which changed the BIOS mode from UEFI + Legacy to UEFI, but also under that Win8 menu was a sub-menu called Internal GOP Configuration. When I first looked, it showed IGFX Driver Version greyed out and as "N/A." After enabling Win8 Features and rebooting into BIOS, it's no longer greyed out and says Intel GOP Driver. I also set the GPU preference for IDG instead of PCE.

I also tried just setting the BIOS to UEFI in a separate menu, but that didn't help. There's something about the Windows 8 Features that need to be enabled.

And yeah, thanks, I'm still going to pick up a cheap card just to have as a backup. Leaning towards a GT 710 though as its has a TDP of 19 watts just for extra low power draw.

Edit: Wanted to mention that MSI Fast Boot, Fast Boot, and Secure Boot are all disabled under Win9 Features.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 22, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I was looking at this from Lian-Li for a case I'm getting because my current one is such a pain to work in, and I got to wonder what to do with my 4x140mm fans in an air-cooled setup. How's this:

I'm assuming the best setup is 2x on side intake, 2x on bottom intake, and a 120mm exhaust. The GPU will be mounted regularly since the bottom intake would probably work just fine with that. I could buy the front intake kit, but the side intake is probably fine. They're sold out now anyway, so I can always change that.

Add to this the D15 with two coolers on it ofc.

I could add top exhaust fans, but it's both a bit of extra in terms of money, but it seems like something that would just disrupt the airflow as well.

Y'know what, here's an illustration of what it'd look like:

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 22, 2022

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for exactly. Is there price you'd rather not go over? You can get a 10400F with the Asus Prime B560M-A for $255. A 12100F with the Asus Prime B660-A costs about the same and may be slightly better, but the 12100 is out of stock. Availability is low for the 12400 as well, but I'm not sure how needed it would be for your use case.

Thanks this is all I wanted to know! Just not drop 600 bucks on a cpu/mobo ram and let het play COD Cold War Zombies with my old gtx970

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

kliras posted:

I was looking at this from Lian-Li for a case I'm getting because my current one is such a pain to work in, and I got to wonder what to do with my 4x140mm fans in an air-cooled setup. How's this:

I'm assuming the best setup is 2x on side intake, 2x on bottom intake, and a 120mm exhaust. The GPU will be mounted regularly since the bottom intake would probably work just fine with that. I could buy the front intake kit, but the side intake is probably fine. They're sold out now anyway, so I can always change that.

Add to this the D15 with two coolers on it ofc.

I could add top exhaust fans, but it's both a bit of extra in terms of money, but it seems like something that would just disrupt the airflow as well.

Y'know what, here's an illustration of what it'd look like:

I’d add a second exhaust fan so you have one in the back and then just toss one in the very far back of the top.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

spunkshui posted:

I’d add a second exhaust fan so you have one in the back and then just toss one in the very far back of the top.
Interesting. Should all (case) fans more or less operate at same speed / volume per second in that setup?

Oh, and would the one top fan have to be 120mm like the rear fan?

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 22, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

kliras posted:

Interesting. Should all (case) fans more or less operate at same speed / volume per second in that setup?

Oh, and would the one top fan have to be 120mm like the rear fan?

It’s good to be slightly positive with your overall pressure meaning you have more fans pulling air and then sucking hot air out.

However this is only because ideally you have filters over those intake fans.

Positive pressure is ideal because it will mean that the air will be trying to escape out every possible opening in your case like all of those holes in the back.

If you have negative pressure overall like four exhaust fans and to intake then air will try to rush in through every crack in the case and you’ll get dust and a lot of random places.

However with your set up, four intake fans and only one exhaust, those intake fans are going to struggle against the hot air that’s already sitting in the case.

A second exhaust fan helps with that.

As for the size and speed of the fan: always go for the largest fan that you can mount because it will move the most air at the lowest volume.

It’s also important to play around the bios with the fan speeds because you can tie them to the CPU temperature and get them to be completely silent while poo poo posting and great thermals while gaming if you don’t mind a little noise.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Should my processor be heat throttling in the cpu test from the intro extreme tuning utility? My newly built system crashes 45 minutes or so into playing a demanding game like Halo, and my best guess is that it’s heat related. I have an AIO system but it’s so quiet I’m not sure it’s working right, and the stress test show the cpu running solid at 100C.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
did you use thermal paste

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and, no, it should extremely not be hitting 100. if it's hitting 100 and silent, then actually thinking about it, are your fans plugged in and where

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If it's quiet at 100 degrees it's hosed

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

It’s very quiet but the fans are running, and yes I used an appropriate amount of thermal paste. I have the fans plugged into the cpu, and the pump plugged into aio_pump.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm gonna guess you've not mounted the AIO CPU block properly

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, a 12700k is a spicy chip, what is the specific AIO? i was under the impression that even AIOs responded to CPU need, which it absolutely should be cranking to jet engine RPMs if you're hitting 100? 100 is as you mentioned thermal throttle high - the chip is turning itself off to reduce the thermal load which is kind of the failstate of cooling. pegged to 100 is rough and implies there's something wrong somewhere.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I’ll take it apart and put it back together, hopefully that will fix it. Might have just gotten a bum cooler, that would suck because shipping takes forever where I live. The one I have is this one:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-240/

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
do you have the correct stand off screw height? the other cooler I had I needed to get a pack of screws to fit lga1700

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
that cooler you linked won't sit close enough on a newest gen intel without extra parts

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah it sounds like you didn’t get the correct plating for your CPU.

100 C is extremely not ok. That cooler isn’t amazing or anything, but it should be performing much better than that.

Use some fan software and push the fans to 100% and see if they work any better. But my guess is mounting issues.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

While I agree its probably the mounting hardware double check you removed the plastic cover off the heatsink.

I'm not implying you're stupid here, this is an incredibly common mistake and every big tech youtuber has had to do a video about it in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming/p/N82E16813119312

150 for a b550 f after code