Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ndnikola
Jan 11, 2019
Good to know and thanks for the responses! (And sorry for broken link)

Should add that I may need to add a monitor to the package, which would have to bring the PC price down.

In short, is there a PC+ 27” Monitor (preferably pre-build as my hands are not to be trusted with delicate work) that goons could recommend to run COD (not a pro gamer but would definitely like to see an upgrade from my PS4) and other latest games without fearing that I will and need an upgrade in two years say around $2000 USD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

Holy poo poo I was just looking at the GPU and ram size, not the actual components :stare:

Yeah don't get that.

Well tbf bestbuy doesn’t list them. And ASUS builds them regionally so all components are different based on region (hence the DK model).

I had to google and find someone on Reddit who purchased it to know. It’s bullshit, but is what it is with prebuilts.

I don’t know if Newegg.ca has ABS brand prebuilts, but GN gave one for the us market reasonable praise, and might be worth looking at what they have.

Newegg definitely noticed the additional positive press, cause they just gave me a pop up from their app (which they like never do) to buy an ABS prebuilt this afternoon.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ndnikola posted:

Good to know and thanks for the responses! (And sorry for broken link)

Should add that I may need to add a monitor to the package, which would have to bring the PC price down.

In short, is there a PC+ 27” Monitor (preferably pre-build as my hands are not to be trusted with delicate work) that goons could recommend to run COD (not a pro gamer but would definitely like to see an upgrade from my PS4) and other latest games without fearing that I will and need an upgrade in two years say around $2000 USD?

No the issue is the components are garbage and you’d have to replace a bunch of stuff to make it reasonable

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Building a PC isn't really delicate work - Half the time it feels like I'm bending metal and just stuffing things in hoping it won't rub up against a fan.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kunabomber posted:

Building a PC isn't really delicate work - Half the time it feels like I'm bending metal and just stuffing things in hoping it won't rub up against a fan.

Can vouch for this, I had to use a drywall scraper to pry the front panel off of my case when putting the fans in

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali489/p/N82E16883360084

I don’t have time to vet it, but this seems pretty reasonable (I don’t know CAD prices and didn’t check what specific component it includes).

3600/3060 system for $1500 CAD.

ndnikola
Jan 11, 2019
Thanks Pilfered! Any thoughts on an intel vs AMD build (asking as this seems to be an intel build)?

Also any recommendations for a decent/good 120hz 27” (or bigger) monitor to add?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
What resolution? I've been rocking a Gigabyte G27Q (1440p) and it's been excellent.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
You guys even build PC's, didn't think so:
https://i.imgur.com/PNEAxKS.mp4

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, if you ever played with legos or tinker toys (or think you could) you can build a pc, just watch a youtube video. Even Henry Cavil can do it!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ndnikola posted:

Thanks Pilfered! Any thoughts on an intel vs AMD build (asking as this seems to be an intel build)?

Also any recommendations for a decent/good 120hz 27” (or bigger) monitor to add?

Sorry. The intel one is the better deal, i just messed up the typing.

10400 is close enough to the 3600, but the 10400 model has a 3060 which is way better than the 2060 amd model has.

Monitors you should ask in the monitor thread.

Sweet spot is generally 1440p@120-165hz, although 1440p@60 is great if you don’t play FPS or fast paced poo poo.

At your price point you’re not powerful enough to run 4k.

ndnikola
Jan 11, 2019
Many thanks for the responses. Starting to look like the ABS you suggested Pilfered may be a good fit for my budget, paired with a gigabyte m27Q 27” screen (1440p, 170hz). Keeps my budget under a neat 2k CAD which doesn’t seem unreasonable.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
Hello, I am looking for a computer to play games on very high settings primarily plugged into a big OLED tv, though I may get a fancy monitor in the near future. Sounds like I need to buy prebuilt to get a newer GPU, but in very uncertain about build/part quality for different companies.

I was looking at this. Any thoughts?
Corsair prebuilt

I mostly settled in this because it is in stock and seems to come from a reasonably professional company. My budget is quite flexible. Any major red flags? Any suggestions for other systems to look at?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

stoicheian posted:

Hello, I am looking for a computer to play games on very high settings primarily plugged into a big OLED tv, though I may get a fancy monitor in the near future. Sounds like I need to buy prebuilt to get a newer GPU, but in very uncertain about build/part quality for different companies.

I was looking at this. Any thoughts?
Corsair prebuilt

I mostly settled in this because it is in stock and seems to come from a reasonably professional company. My budget is quite flexible. Any major red flags? Any suggestions for other systems to look at?

I bought that exact same model, although I haven't received it yet (it's set to arrive this week for a roughly 2 week turnaround from order to door). I did a whole lot of research and the only complaints/negative reviews I managed to find for them are about not having stock BIOS on the motherboard which resulted in USB issues, but they've since updated the BIOS and that problem is gone (as far as I know all the other parts are off the shelf and good quality). They're a bit pricier than a few of the other sites I looked at (ibuypower, cyberpowerpc etc), but are a whole lot more reputable. Not nearly as much customization as other sites allow, but honestly I trust the build quality a lot better if most of the parts are standardized between each build. Only real negative is if you want to go from a 3070 to a 3080 it's about a $1k price difference.

Well that and it's, of course, way overpriced as all prebuilts are. But eh, I just really, really didn't want to sit around obsessing over stock drops for months while hoping the market doesn't get even worse. I'll post a review once I get a chance to play around with it.

Edit: The RAM is only 3200 but prebuilts have enormous markups on RAM/SSDs so no matter where you go your best bet is to go default/lowest and then buy the RAM you actually want elsewhere.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 14, 2021

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I like how you can't change to a 3080 until you bump the CPU up to a 5900x. I mean, it's just another version of what NewEgg does with the bundles. Car companies do similar poo poo, it's not a remotely new idea, I'm just so triggered by all these scams after the last year.

Edit - Not speaking to the value of the build, just the fact that they will only sell you a 3080 if you pair it with a ridiculous CPU.

RVT fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 15, 2021

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
It is also not in stock. I think 5600x and 3070 will suit my needs. I'm certainly tempted to splurge on 3080 and a silly CPU, but I can't find a prebuilt with a 3080 that is both in stock and from a company that seems reputable. I'll guess I'll have to settle with an excellent system and saving money :shrug:

stoicheian fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 15, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, if you ever played with legos or tinker toys (or think you could) you can build a pc, just watch a youtube video. Even Henry Cavil can do it!

The more times I hear this lego thing, the more I'm gonna buy a console, and buy the latest port of RE4! Even though I own it on steam!

(this is a joke folks, I would never do that. The steam copy is good. But I did play Witcher 3 on PS4.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

I went back and forth about upgrading my core knowing full well the performance wouldn't significantly enhance my experience, but I needed to build.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
sometimes i stare at the pc building simulator listing on steam, wondering if i should open this door

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kunabomber posted:

sometimes i stare at the pc building simulator listing on steam, wondering if i should open this door

Isn't it like a visual novel or something?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't it like a visual novel or something?

Lol. PC building sim is fun but I quit after just a few jobs because it becomes like work real fast.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Your various updates to the megathread

Many thanks for the updates - it saves a bunch of time when you're out-of-date and looking for someone else.

It would be useful to have a recommended goon builds with links to pcpartpicker bits for the low/mid/high ranges. It would also be great to have alternate ones for m-ATX for those building on a smaller form factor. I appreciate that this is a lot of work but people post parts lists all the time and it shouldn't be difficult to cherry pick a few good ones. It may be a bit academic given the current shortages but it would be a great feature for the future.

I appreciate that the posts are still a work in progress but some standard SSD picks (non m.2 for those who want cheaper storage for games) and HDs (for those who want cheap bulk storage) would be great and the bit about PSUs is in the FAQ bit.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Need some advice between getting a Meshify 2 or a 2XL for future workstation upgrades (3D rendering).

I'm trying to fit and cool the following:

Ryzen 7 5800X - 280mm AIO exhausting through top
3090 XC3 - Air-cooled in top PCIe
future 3090 Hybrid or Hydro - 240mm CLC on intake, bottom PCIe

Would that be pushing it in the Meshify 2? The big difference between the XL is the extra spacing between PSU shroud and the mobo which might be better for cooling the bottom GPU - I'm not sure though if the hybrid CLC would reach the front intake since the XL is quite a bit longer.

Also would I need to upgrade to a 1200W PSU, I currently have a 1000W since I initially planned on having a 2x 3080 (LOL).

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1404725364971216898

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Wtf is ‘semi-passive cooling’

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wtf is ‘semi-passive cooling’

pretty sure you need good airflow in the case or it doesn't perform right. tbh it seems really stupid and edge-case usable, and it's expensive.

e, LOL and they themselves recommend putting a fan on it in overclocking situations. like wtf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbvxsPTI84

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 15, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

pretty sure you need good airflow in the case or it doesn't perform right. tbh it seems really stupid and edge-case usable, and it's expensive.

e, LOL and they themselves recommend putting a fan on it in overclocking situations. like wtf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbvxsPTI84

They detail it in the announcement article.

They also released today a new PWM fan that can run at 0% speed. The idea is to run the passive cooler, with some fans that sit at 0% unless absolutely needed, so you don’t run up against throttling situations.

It’s a bit niche so I’m surprised they made it, but it’s actually a really cool idea for sound sensitive applications such as audio and video recording, live streaming, broadcasting, etc.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Noctua put up a CPU list with what to expect from each CPU in passive mode or with the fan. Seeing the 3700X do worse than the 5800X seemed really weird until I remembered that Zen 3 throttles clocks a lot less when run at/near thermal limits. Pretty crazy that it can make the 105W 5800X do better than the 65W 3700X tho.

https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-P1-68/cpus/AMD/AM4

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

They also released today a new PWM fan that can run at 0% speed. The idea is to run the passive cooler, with some fans that sit at 0% unless absolutely needed, so you don’t run up against throttling situations.

It’s a bit niche so I’m surprised they made it, but it’s actually a really cool idea for sound sensitive applications such as audio and video recording, live streaming, broadcasting, etc.

That's a cool rear end case, do they say what it is?

Edit: Okay that's a $300-$400 case, nevermind

change my name fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 15, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It does look cool in the case, even being so chonky it kind of makes the whole thing flush looking and I'm down for that. Wonder how it would perform submerged in mineral oil.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

That's how I run my 9900K's cooler. It's an old HR-02 that was designed for socket 1366 with huge fins. It has a fan attached but it doesn't turn on until 50C and even then it maxes out at 1K RPM.
Coolers with huge widely spaced fins like that will do OK with just case fans cooling it, but a low-speed fan is going to be recommended to avoid throttling at load. Not that it's at all the same component, but if this is anything like my cooler it probably won't respond well to high-speed or high-pressure fans due to the fin spacing. I tried a push-pull config on the old 2600K and it didn't make any difference other than raising the noise level.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

LifeSunDeath posted:

lol at overclocking a passively-cooled computer

also lol at telling people that your CPU thermally throttling under load conditions is fine and normal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had a laugh when they first announced that but also man, they're really testing how much their rabid fanbase will take huh. Like if quiet is what's really important other companies have been making giant heatsinks with ultra quiet fans for years.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I guess the idea is no moving parts machine, that's gotta be the idea, but it's pointless. They even have a passive cooling GPU in there LOL
. The heat will rise out the case, that's all good, but at this point having it inside of a case wouldn't be optimal at all.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I guess the idea is no moving parts machine, that's gotta be the idea, but it's pointless. They even have a passive cooling GPU in there LOL
. The heat will rise out the case, that's all good, but at this point having it inside of a case wouldn't be optimal at all.

I know we’re all getting a laugh at this, but seriously there are use cases where an entirely silent PC is incredibly important.

I’m surprised they’re marketing it to the DIY crowd though. This has enterprise written all over it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I know we’re all getting a laugh at this, but seriously there are use cases where an entirely silent PC is incredibly important.

I’m surprised they’re marketing it to the DIY crowd though. This has enterprise written all over it.

Tell me the use cases, I've been waiting to hear the use cases all drat day.

this all feels like some audiophile thing, they're trying to remove all moving parts but they still have to use a power supply with a fan, so they low key don't talk about that.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

this all feels like some audiophile thing, they're trying to remove all moving parts but they still have to use a power supply with a fan, so they low key don't talk about that.

There are fanless PSUs and if you buy a high end, high wattage normal PSU often the fan won't even start spinning until you're drawing 400+ watts or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LifeSunDeath posted:

I usually see silent pcs for things like recording studios. Even an in home one is going to have computers involved these days and big air coolers with no fans on a 65 watt CPU can usually be run fanless or with just one 200mm system fan. Back in the day there were some power supply shrouds to that would attach to the outside back of the PSU and have baffles to cut down the fan noise while letting air through.

Not sure about the GPU but there's a lot of GPU hand off for parallel tasks these days. Also, maybe someone will run it in mineral oil for a funny video.

I've been pretty happy with computer noise levels since everyone went to 120mm fans or bigger. It's frustrating that there are so many 40mm fans on 3d printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

There are fanless PSUs and if you buy a high end, high wattage normal PSU often the fan won't even start spinning until you're drawing 400+ watts or something.
I will get a fanless PSU as soon as I have money to spare. I will never buy a PC component with unchangeable fans again.
Atm I got a 750W Seasonic Prime Ultra and its fan is piece of trash. Its fan still spins occasionally while idling at under 100 watts which is extremely annoying when it's the only thing making noise in the system. It's even worse when gaming at about 350 watts. Then it'll just cycle between running for 3 sec and being off for about 6 sec. The scratchy startup noise it makes is from hell and it's not quiet or pleasant when running either. Stock fans on my Gigabyte GPU made similar noise when starting from 0.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 15, 2021