Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Great job on the op dates.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Hardware Comparison Tools

The thread tends to default to Gamer’s Nexus for direct comparison benchmarks (and for good reason). Their testing is highly controlled (with publicly documented methodology), accurate, free of basis, and best of all goes to unnecessary lengths to call out slimy manufacturers (they’re directly responsible for a Consumer Product Safety Commission recall for NZXT cases causing fires). They test everything from CPUs & GPUs to cases, cooling solutions, and other fun stuff.

Basis should be bias, right?

22. Do hard disks have any place in a modern computer?

If you need an abundance of storage on the cheap, multi-Terabyte HDDs can be had for half the cost of an SSD or less, however the performance gap between them is, without hyperbole, the biggest advance in home computer performance in a decade (or more). If you’re not backing up complete collections of perfectly legitimate Blu-Rays, you’re better served getting as much SSD storage as you can afford and deleting a few games if necessary.

Surprise!! Crypto & covid messed this market up too. It was around $14-$15 per tb and now good luck finding anything near those prices because nothing has been on sale lately.

quote:

Mugen 5
Cooler benchmarks frequently happen with no side panel and this results in worse results for this cooler in particular unless you run 2x fans on it. With the side panel on it performs identically to the NHD15 and Fuma 2 with zen2 and zen3 CPUs.

It does have a slightly worse fan than the more expensive fuma 2 in terms of noise level if you let it run at max speeds. The trick here is you don't have to run it at max speed and the cooler performs real well even at low RPM. Arguably it's even more efficient at low rpm than some other designs, but all of the coolers in this category are so close with the newer CPUs that you should really just decide on price & aesthetic.

Another cooler that's even cheaper and pretty good is the arctic freezer 34 esports duo. These were a way better deal at $36 than the current $47 price point, but the performance is comparable to the fuma2 at the cost of some noise.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Khorne posted:

Another cooler that's even cheaper and ok is the arctic freezer 34 esports duo. These were a way better deal at $36 than the current $47 price point, but the performance is comparable to the fuma2 at the cost of some noise.

I have one of these on a 3700X and it idles around 39C on the most sweltering of days. The fan clips are annoying as gently caress but otherwise it's a massive cool bang for buck.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Khorne posted:

Great job on the op dates.

Basis should be bias, right?

Surprise!! Crypto & covid messed this market up too. It was around $14-$15 per tb and now good luck finding anything near those prices because nothing has been on sale lately.

Cooler benchmarks frequently happen with no side panel and this results in worse results for this cooler in particular unless you run 2x fans on it. With the side panel on it performs identically to the NHD15 and Fuma 2 with zen2 and zen3 CPUs.

It does have a slightly worse fan than the more expensive fuma 2 in terms of noise level if you let it run at max speeds. The trick here is you don't have to run it at max speed and the cooler performs real well even at low RPM. Arguably it's even more efficient at low rpm than some other designs, but all of the coolers in this category are so close with the newer CPUs that you should really just decide on price & aesthetic.

Another cooler that's even cheaper and pretty good is the arctic freezer 34 esports duo. These were a way better deal at $36 than the current $47 price point, but the performance is comparable to the fuma2 at the cost of some noise.

Do you have a source for the Mugen stuff?? I haven’t seen that data and I’d like to see a source before considering adding it to the Op.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Your case cooling may be more of an issue if you idle high and average under load.

That would make sense. I try to keep everything as clean as I can but, it's not easy. I'm not in the cleanest part of China, dust builds up everywhere and on everything ridiculously fast.

If I kept all the empty cans of compressed air I've gone through I could probably make a cool art project out of them.

At least I hope that's the problem, cuz that means I probably didn't gently caress anything up.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
My brother is looking for a new machine now. I don't have time to mess around with the various discord groups (etc.) to get him a card but I have found a bundle with the following:

• Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6GHz
  • Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card

It's not the system I would have built for him - the CPU isn't great and the RAM is only 3000Ghz but given the current market and the availability of this system I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with this. It's a bundle so it's all or nothing (which means building him a system without a GPU...)

Anyone care to weigh in?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
$?

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Sorry, that would have been helpful...!

£1,600 for all of the above bundle. That's $2,200 at the current rate of exchange, which is a hideous £1=$1.4. Traditionally UK-US comparisons for tech work out about 1:1 so $1,600 might be a better comparison.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I would add a note to the OP about Windows licenses being tied to the MOBO; just realized my version is again unactivated after switching over.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought the 10400 was the sweet spot for last gen budget builds? What changed?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bouchehog posted:

£1,600 for all of the above bundle. That's $2,200 at the current rate of exchange, which is a hideous £1=$1.4. Traditionally UK-US comparisons for tech work out about 1:1 so $1,600 might be a better comparison.

I’m British, I just wrote the dollar because most itf aren’t. Erm, adding up those parts separately comes to about £1300 because the motherboard is one of those absurdly expensive £300 jobs, so in this market that’s not too bad at all. You’re right in that those parts wouldn’t be the first choices in a normal market but they’re not bad.

Have you checked cyberpower uk to see what kind of system you can build there in the same price range? Alternatively, you could build around the 11400 which is a readily available excellent midrange option and pick exactly what other parts you want, and get by on the integrated graphics until you can snag a GPU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

It’s high, but not unreasonable given the current market state. If you post a link we can judge a little better if the listing is any good.

change my name posted:

I would add a note to the OP about Windows licenses being tied to the MOBO; just realized my version is again unactivated after switching over.

Yeah, I can clarify that. I also think MS will sometimes hop the key if you contact them but they’re so cheap it’s not usually worth it.

Collateral posted:

I thought the 10400 was the sweet spot for last gen budget builds? What changed?

No, the 10400 is pretty value compared to a 3600.

The 11400 is quite good though, especially at its current price point.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Bouchehog posted:

My brother is looking for a new machine now. I don't have time to mess around with the various discord groups (etc.) to get him a card but I have found a bundle with the following:

• Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6GHz
  • Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card

It's not the system I would have built for him - the CPU isn't great and the RAM is only 3000Ghz but given the current market and the availability of this system I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with this. It's a bundle so it's all or nothing (which means building him a system without a GPU...)

Anyone care to weigh in?

Guess this is from Scan? The bundles seem pretty overpriced and they do prebuilds that cost the same.

It's not available now but I saw this one was ready to buy now earlier on today with delivery tomorrow, so it might be worth keeping an eye out on it.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-icue-rtx-intel-core-i5-11600k-16gb-ddr4-8gb-nvidia-rtx-3070-1tb-m2-ssd-win-10

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Phew, bought a mini fan header to 2 fan splitter and now my migration to an ITX case is finally complete:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $200.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler (Purchased For $40.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $180.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For $1000.00)
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $50.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $90.00)
Case Fan: Noctua S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $13.00)

A crappy pic:

Temps are fine, obviously way worse than in the H500. I tried Control maxed with ray tracing and the GPU instantly shot up to 78 but never went any higher than that, CPU stayed below 60 (would likely be better if I could fit a top fan in, it's a no-go with the cooler in place). I picked up 32gb of white Corsair RGB RAM for super cheap on Ebay but I doubt it'll fit so I might just flip it on SA Mart when it arrives, oh well.

Now I'm done forever! I'm finally free!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Great OP, everything a person could want to know about building as of June 2021!

Maybe add a mention for the key-sellers on SAMart, so no one pays more than $15 for Win10? I almost fell for that trap! :ohdear:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would also give a slightly dissenting opinion on HDDs? people get this really, really twisted because they remember the dark ages of loading a game off the same drive your OS is running from. this is a bad idea - any drive your OS is running from is constantly reading/writing system files, and since that takes up an adequate-to-significant amount of your bandwidth of course it means games take for loving ever to load. don't configure your poo poo like this, OS on the fastest drive and games somewhere else.

because, and this is really important, the primary bottleneck when loading a game specifically is typically CPU, not your storage. the game pulls all the compressed data from your disk, HDD or SDD, decompresses it into something your engine can process and you're away. which is to say you hit the "ceiling" with load speed very quickly- you can throw the fanciest NVME 3D nand high tech whatever you want at it, it can only address part of the problem - it won't let your chip decompress those files any faster. this is why the difference between game load time of SATA SSDs, SATA m.2 and SATA NVME are borderline identical despite on paper them having a massive gap.

for this reason quick smaller SSD + big old HDD is a very good price/performance sweet spot. move anything you get a competitive advantage loading in faster after a crash (eg Apex) and whatever else you play a lot, and stick your older stuff on a barracuda or something. again so long as it's not also doing something else, like hosting the OS or doing a gigantic transfer or something, a HDD in this config ain't bad and is very kind to your wallet.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

CoolCab posted:

i would also give a slightly dissenting opinion on HDDs? people get this really, really twisted because they remember the dark ages of loading a game off the same drive your OS is running from. this is a bad idea - any drive your OS is running from is constantly reading/writing system files, and since that takes up an adequate-to-significant amount of your bandwidth of course it means games take for loving ever to load. don't configure your poo poo like this, OS on the fastest drive and games somewhere else.

because, and this is really important, the primary bottleneck when loading a game specifically is typically CPU, not your storage. the game pulls all the compressed data from your disk, HDD or SDD, decompresses it into something your engine can process and you're away. which is to say you hit the "ceiling" with load speed very quickly- you can throw the fanciest NVME 3D nand high tech whatever you want at it, it can only address part of the problem - it won't let your chip decompress those files any faster. this is why the difference between game load time of SATA SSDs, SATA m.2 and SATA NVME are borderline identical despite on paper them having a massive gap.

for this reason quick smaller SSD + big old HDD is a very good price/performance sweet spot. move anything you get a competitive advantage loading in faster after a crash (eg Apex) and whatever else you play a lot, and stick your older stuff on a barracuda or something. again so long as it's not also doing something else, like hosting the OS or doing a gigantic transfer or something, a HDD in this config ain't bad and is very kind to your wallet.

I went this route, because I have a lot of media that I want to store on my computer. But, in general, anything you want backed up should be in multiple locations (which means cloud storage) and games aren't so big that you can't install more than you can play on a 1TB drive for another few years...

So, most people will have their needs more than met by a 1TB NVME drive, or at worst a 2TB or dual drives. If you need more than 2TB of storage, platters are the only cost-effective solution, but I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. They are also very loud...my 4TB platter drive is the loudest single component in my rig...
:shrug:

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Does anybody know where I can buy a Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS 280mm radiator in new condition? Also in black. I found one place on ebay, but they don't ship to the US at all. I'm beginning to wonder if the 280mm is even still in production.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Microcenter near me has the i9-10850K for $300... would that be a good idea to use in an ITX build? If so, would it be wise to air cool it as well? [edit] Building PC for someone either in a Meshlicious or Cougar QBX, still haven't decided yet.

[edit] Adding, they have a 3060 Ti on deck, and RAM will be ported over from their old system. Gaming on 1440p 144Hz displays. They also run a bunch of sneaker bots, so unsure how that factors in. I guess that's more RAM related; they have a 3200MHz 64GB kit in use right now, and I'll be bringing that over into the new build.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 12, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

teagone posted:

sneaker bots

jfc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

They're one of those sneaker heads that always needs those rare drops or whatever. They're crazy, lol. Always buying two pairs, one to keep in box the other to wear. I don't get it, personally.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I always buy shoes two or three pairs at a time. But that's because it's hard for me to find a pair I really like, so it could be 2-3 years before I find a new model that I like. And my shoes can get worn out in a year or two.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nike realised ages ago if you keep replacing popular shoes that people will buy more of a new shoe at once if they like them out of fear that they’ll never get restocked without warning.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OP CHANGELOG

- Reformatted the FAQ list. It looks different, but this makes it much easier to add additional sections.

- Fixed section regarding ram max limits.

- added Thermal paste and you! section to the FAQ.

- Added parts to avoid list (included NZXT H1).

All other feedback will make its way eventually.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about budget builds, and budget CPUs. What are the best couple CPU choices under say $210?

I'm in the US, looking to replace an i5 2500k rig from 2012. It's been having a couple issues lately, and I figured 9 years is pushing my luck. But looking for either a budget build (that friends may put together - they built my last one) or may go for a prebuilt etc. Either way, I'd like the total to be under say $850 before tax. Including hard drives etc and $110 for Windows, but can leave the GPU out for now and use my old 970.

I have no complaints about the speed of the i5 2500k, and I'm looking to be frugal. I don't need a current or future proof gaming PC, and this could be an interim rig for a few years. So wanna go intentionally mediocre for gaming, but smooth for multitasking, web browsing, futureproof only for playing 4K video files or whatever.

So on budget CPUs, is the i5 10400 as good a deal as it seems? I look at it vs 2500k on that user benchmarks site, and it says it's a lot better. And the price is superb. Plus it has an iGPU they say is good for video etc. Says it's 17% faster effectively, and ranked 68th instead of 237th. I'm open to AMD options as well.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10400/619vs4073

When I showed that to friend they were razzing me, and wanted to put a $300 Ryzen in there. Which is fun, but I tell ya, I just like the idea of beating a topnotch PC from 9 years ago with a bargain bin price. And I'd go from 8gb to 16GB of ram, up my 64GB SSD to 256 or 512, and 4TB of storage. So with those, a decent name-brand power supply, good air cooling, simple case, a reliable motherboard, can that be done under $850?

Don't need an exact build or anything, but if similar sample builds are around or you dig messing with the part picker, I'd be curious to see. And also thoughts on budget CPUs and budget to mid-range parts in general. Since understandably everybody says not to go with a Dell or HP etc, but it feels like they can cram a lot of value into the the 900 or under range. Though if they fail I know it's a pain. Just messing with part picker, it seems tough to make a cheap but good PC, with my preferred storage and ram etc, to the layman here.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Heavy Metal posted:

Question about budget builds, and budget CPUs. What are the best couple CPU choices under say $210?

I'm in the US, looking to replace an i5 2500k rig from 2012. It's been having a couple issues lately, and I figured 9 years is pushing my luck. But looking for either a budget build (that friends may put together - they built my last one) or may go for a prebuilt etc. Either way, I'd like the total to be under say $850 before tax. Including hard drives etc and $110 for Windows, but can leave the GPU out for now and use my old 970.

I have no complaints about the speed of the i5 2500k, and I'm looking to be frugal. I don't need a current or future proof gaming PC, and this could be an interim rig for a few years. So wanna go intentionally mediocre for gaming, but smooth for multitasking, web browsing, futureproof only for playing 4K video files or whatever.

So on budget CPUs, is the i5 10400 as good a deal as it seems? I look at it vs 2500k on that user benchmarks site, and it says it's a lot better. And the price is superb. Plus it has an iGPU they say is good for video etc. Says it's 17% faster effectively, and ranked 68th instead of 237th. I'm open to AMD options as well.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10400/619vs4073

When I showed that to friend they were razzing me, and wanted to put a $300 Ryzen in there. Which is fun, but I tell ya, I just like the idea of beating a topnotch PC from 9 years ago with a bargain bin price. And I'd go from 8gb to 16GB of ram, up my 64GB SSD to 256 or 512, and 4TB of storage. So with those, a decent name-brand power supply, good air cooling, simple case, a reliable motherboard, can that be done under $850?

Don't need an exact build or anything, but if similar sample builds are around or you dig messing with the part picker, I'd be curious to see. And also thoughts on budget CPUs and budget to mid-range parts in general. Since understandably everybody says not to go with a Dell or HP etc, but it feels like they can cram a lot of value into the the 900 or under range. Though if they fail I know it's a pain. Just messing with part picker, it seems tough to make a cheap but good PC, with my preferred storage and ram etc, to the layman here.

I love the i5 2500K so much and always love hearing about it still running :)

I started a build around a Ryzen 5 3600, but then I realized I don't know if you have a discrete graphics card. So, I assumed you did not have one and switched to the i5-10400 and came up well under your $850 budget. I have to admit I don't know what would be a good CPU cooler and motherboard, but these should be decent and work well for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Western Digital)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $728.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-13 01:26 EDT-0400

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I started a build around a Ryzen 5 3600, but then I realized I don't know if you have a discrete graphics card. So, I assumed you did not have one and switched to the i5-10400 and came up well under your $850 budget. I have to admit I don't know what would be a good CPU cooler and motherboard, but these should be decent and work well for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks, that rocks, much appreciated! Just messed with it a bit (I don't know what I'm doing), tentatively an Asrock motherboard since a friend likes that brand, and a Corsair case. That just raises it from $728.92 to $752.93. And adding Windows 10 makes it $861.71. Also that particular power supply is $110 from newegg, the lower price is just from an Amazon reseller (maybe no warranty?). So if I went with that one from a usual seller, that'd make the total about $912.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Lupin3TMNTPizza/saved/RWxdHx

Which is very cool. Still not cheap exactly, but good to know. And might just make this or similar an idea to go with. I could get a comparable setup from Dell or HP for that price (with their support "best price" deals etc), just with 2TB instead of 4TB, and they throw in a 1650 Super etc. Granted, they'd have those less quality proprietary parts. Just interesting to note that it seems while you could build a better quality one, it doesn't seem to get much cheaper than those companies for similar specs.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 13, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Western Digital)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $728.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-13 01:26 EDT-0400

The 11400 is better in every way, and even better than the Ryzen 3600 while still being cheaper.

IMO it’s absolutely worth the extra $20.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...p?skuId=6452218

AMD has not released a CPU in this product category yet under Zen 3 (and they may or may not), so Ryzen can not compete at this price point.

This build is pretty good otherwise. If you go 11400, just double check mobo compatibility, and make sure you don’t get an F sku if you need onboard GPU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks, that rocks, much appreciated! Just messed with it a bit (I don't know what I'm doing), tentatively an Asrock motherboard since a friend likes that brand, and a Corsair case. That just raises it from $728.92 to $752.93. And adding Windows 10 makes it $861.71. Also that particular power supply is $110 from newegg, the lower price is just from an Amazon reseller (maybe no warranty?). So if I went with that one from a usual seller, that'd make the total about $912.

Which is very cool. Still not cheap exactly, but good to know. And might just make this or similar an idea to go with. I could get a comparable setup from Dell or HP for that price (with their support "best price" deals etc), just with 2TB instead of 4TB, and they throw in a 1650 Super etc. Granted, they'd have those less quality proprietary parts. Just interesting to note that it seems while you could build a better quality one, it doesn't seem to get much cheaper than those companies for similar specs.

Buy a key from Lodge North on SA Mart. They’re $15.

I’d be wary of a random Amazon seller being 50% cheaper and not getting a genuine part. let me look for something that’ll be worth it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/season...p?skuId=6414269

If you want cheap now this is a loving amazing price. If you don’t intend to buy in the future anything better than a 3060 class video card you should 100% buy this.

This is one of the best PSU deals I’ve seen in a year.

If you want something heftier, look at the table on the first comment of this post for the coupon codes.

https://reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/nxaphl/psu_newegg_has_seasonic_deals_back_again_gm650/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That all sounds cool to me. Thanks!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Also really looking for some recommended builds if anyone has one, as well as individual parts.

Bargain bin
Mid range
High end
I hate money tier (if you want to make a comedy build).
SFF

If you’re going to source one one of these, you’ll need do it as a PPP list, and include EVERYTHING, including extra case fans and dumb poo poo like that if the case needs them.

Mid range ITX build (~$1300)
Mid/High end ITX build (~$1500)
High end ITX build (~$1700)
Enthusiast/gently caress money ITX build(~$2200)

• The mid range build would work minus the GPU for a $900 system to tide people over while they try to get a GPU.
  • There's a price difference of $30 between the NR200 and the NR200P. Both cases come with a 120mm fan and a vented side panel. The extra $30 gets you an additional 120mm fan in place of the 90mm fan included with the cheaper option, and an extra tempered glass side panel to swap in if you wish. The 90mm fan in the cheaper option is intended as a rear exhaust but if you buy a tower CPU cooler it most likely won't fit and will be left out of the build. The glass side panel is a nice extra to have but isn't optimal for temps, although they're still perfectly serviceable. Two 120mm fans can always go somewhere in the case, hence me preferring the NR200P generally, although if you know you're not interested at all in the glass side panel you can save a small bit of money by going with the regular version and buying additional Arctic P12s as required.
  • Ignore the compatibility warning with the Fuma 2 and the NR200P - I have the same cooler and motherboard and it fits with both the standard mesh panel and the glass side panel.
  • The last three AMD builds with the Fuma 2 include a slim Noctua fan intended to go in the top rear of the case as that specific cooler and motherboard combination rules out a standard 25x120mm fan there. The Arctic P12 goes in the top front as exhaust, and the two fans included with the NR200P can go as bottom intakes. This also depends on the thickness of the GPU - 2 slot FE cards all allow for regular 25x120mm bottom fans, thicker ones may not, although thermals aren't affected too much with no bottom intake fans.
  • The 600W PSU is more than sufficient for a 5600x and 3080 in the high end build, again from personal experience.
  • Cheaper SFX PSUs are available, but I've stuck with the Corsair ones because they're very proven and reliable, and also the cables in the platinum versions are very high quality and pliable, which they need to be to route them effectively.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8JPzVc

Just to iterate on what you've been told already, your use case described the 11400 almost perfectly so you'd be mad not to build around that. I've modified your build to include that, along with a better CPU cooler (easier to mount), CL16 instead of CL18 RAM and twice the NVMe SSD storage capacity (you'll be grateful for this).

Go with that PSU Pilfered Pallbearers linked, get a Windows key from SAMart and you're all set for under $850.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks! That's all good to know, good stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Had added this to my wishlist awhile ago but it's on sale on amazon. WD blue 2TB NVMe drive for $200, usually $220. Not in stock but looks like it will be soon. Check other sellers, sold and shipped by amazon vs. WD. I still don't need the space so I'm not buying today, but maybe other folks might be looking for a deal. :)

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08K4NP5DQ/?coliid=I13C1CZ0R7X3R2&colid=MQI0YX933T5T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Fabulousity posted:

DO NOT mix modular cabling between different power supply manufacturers even if they fit. DO NOT even mix modular cabling between different models from the same manufacturer. The poo poo on the PSU side isn't standardized.
Only exception from this is if the manufacturer explicitly publishes a compatibility document showing which modular cables can be moved between PSU models.

I have successfully moved cables between some Corsair PSUs to fit into awkward cases, but only after double-checking Corsair's documentation. If the manufacturer doesn't publish that information, don't do it. It's especially bad because even some reputable brands are actually buying OEM PSUs from different suppliers, so you can't trust them to match.

ndnikola
Jan 11, 2019
Hello goon world,

Thinking of purchasing a pre-build PC mainly for gaming (COD warzone) and perhaps entertainment (streaming films etc) - ideally this would last me at least a couple of years without the need for a major refurbishment / upgrade. My current gaming rig is a base PS4, so hoping for a reasonable upgrade to at least my gaming FPS and experience.

Have my eyes on this one in particular, any thoughts?

[url] https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...x-3070/15397183[/url]

Note that I am in Canada (QC) and would rather go for a pre-build than parts unless there is a considerable price differential. Also this price is probably the most I would like to spend at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - fixed link, apologies!

ndnikola fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ndnikola posted:

Hello goon world,

Thinking of purchasing a pre-build PC mainly for gaming (COD warzone) and perhaps entertainment (streaming films etc) - ideally this would last me at least a couple of years without the need for a major refurbishment / upgrade. My current gaming rig is a base PS4, so hoping for a reasonable upgrade to at least my gaming FPS and experience.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...x-3070/15397183

Note that I am in Canada (QC) and would rather go for a pre-build than parts unless there is a considerable price differential. Also this price is probably the most I would like to spend at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Link is bad

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

ndnikola posted:

Hello goon world,

Thanks in advance!

I fixed your link:

I live in the US so I have no idea how moonies work, I'll let someone else answer on that - but with a 3070 you should be good for a few years as long as you stick to 1080p/1440p.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/comments/nhfoa9/sus_rog_strix_g15dk_gaming_pc_black_amd_ryzen/

Seems like it was $2199 a few weeks ago.

Also seems pretty bad. Itx board, 1 stick ram @CL22 (holt poo poo that exists?), terrible cooler and PSU.

If you have no other option it’s probably fine. But that price sucks for those garbage components.

GNs latest prebuilt video showed that having only one stick of ram could knock your performance back by like 10%. And cl22 at 3200 is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I was just looking at the GPU and ram size, not the actual components :stare:

Yeah don't get that.