Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Restating because holy poo poo is it important:

POWER SUPPLY UNIT MODULAR CABLE SYSTEMS ARE COMPLETELY PROPRIETARY ON THE ENDS THAT ATTACH TO THE POWER SUPPLY UNIT.

DO NOT mix modular cabling between different power supply manufacturers even if they fit. DO NOT even mix modular cabling between different models from the same manufacturer. The poo poo on the PSU side isn't standardized.

I haven't had the misfortune of making this mistake but I've had nightmares about it.

Oh, and use a clean credit card or similar item to spread a thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU lid before installing the heatsink. Begin angry debating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I've done the credit card spread since Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 GHz days and it has seemed to work well through an X2 and X4 of some flavors I can't remember, then Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and finally Ryzen.

BrainDance posted:

Thermal paste is one of those things where I suspect I'm bad at it, but only because who knows? God willing that heat sink isn't coming off for another couple years.

I just do the dab in the middle and as far as I know the heat sink spread it out but it's not like there's a way to check. My 3700x I remember being a little toastier than I expected, and now my 5900x is sitting at around 60-65 idle with a nh-u12s but it's also 90 degrees out here in the world's dustiest country so I dunno.

60-65 is kind of high for an idle on 5900X? Shouldn't it be more like 40-45?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Khorne posted:

Another cooler that's even cheaper and ok is the arctic freezer 34 esports duo. These were a way better deal at $36 than the current $47 price point, but the performance is comparable to the fuma2 at the cost of some noise.

I have one of these on a 3700X and it idles around 39C on the most sweltering of days. The fan clips are annoying as gently caress but otherwise it's a massive cool bang for buck.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Sanity check please:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($330.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($47.39 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Red Dragon OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-20 16:41 EDT-0400

I'm looking for recommendations on:
CPU Cooler - I'm using an Arctic Freezer 34 on a 3700X right now and it works great. Anything better worth looking into?
Case - Need a mid tower size with USB/headphone ports on the top since the case will sit on the floor under a desk. Maybe a Phanteks P500?
Video card - Stupid GPU prices look like they're here to stay so welp. I run at 1440p and don't really care about ray tracing so a Radeon 6800 seems like a good starting point. Or would a 4070 be a better price/performance deal?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Are you planning on using some storage from your current machine?

Also I’d maybe consider getting the 7800x3d for $120 more tbh. Not a big deal either way though.

Was gonna bring over a rust drive and M2 from the current system but might as well get a bigger M2 while I'm at it. Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive good?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Pulled the trigger on this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($239.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Red Dragon OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1762.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-21 17:07 EDT-0400

Paid a little more to do it all through Amazon because I had a $100 credit there and I don't trust Newegg. Thanks all for the advice!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Just wanna whine that for $220 bucks you don't get an actual paper manual anymore? Just a quick setup pamphlet that can never be folded back into its original state? gently caress that and gently caress you motherboard manufacturers. Go launch all of your marketing departments into the sun. Yes I'm old and I'll scream at that cloud all loving day.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I have had my new PC for a few days now and am very happy with it. Thank you to those who helped me with picking out parts. :homebrew: Warning for those of you getting a PC with the AMD 7800x3D CPU, it is ultra important that you update the BIOs ASAP, not just because of the voltage issue, but that your motherboard might not even support the CPU to begin with. That was the case with my motherboard (ASROCK brand), I was pulling my hair out for a few hours trying to figure out why everything was so unstable. And really it should come as just common knowledge to do this, but it slipped my mind as something that would fix stability issues, because I am a dumb. My specific motherboard released before the 7800x3D did. So don't be like me!!!

As far as performance goes, Flight Sim, and Cyberpunk 2077 at a completely smooth 60fps @ 1080p with maxxed out ultra settings. Yes :homebrew:

I did the 7800X3D thing about a week ago and the MSI B650 Tomahawk I received was still on the original 7D75v10 BIOS from September 2022. Have the latest BIOS ready to go before you build. Flipped EXPO on and started watching VDDSOC: Per HWInfo the highest I've seen the CPU report is 1.188 and the motherboard 1.194 using the 7D75v162 4/26 panic beta BIOS. I'm guessing the CPU sensor for this is the most trustworthy place to look?

Putzed around in Flight Sim for an hour tonight and smacking into Mount Rainier at 1.10 mach at a buttery smooth framerate was awesome.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Breetai posted:

Question germaine to the thread: does USB wifi represent a significant throughput/latency disadvantage over onboard wifi/hardware connection? I'm currently using a powerline adapter for internet but was wondering if I can eliminate a cable.

I was using D-Link powerline adapters up until a few days ago. But then I wired up a new computer with a motherboard that had integrated wifi, got it all working and unplugged the ethernet cable going to the powerline adapter, and gently caress my rear end it is so much FASTER. If you have a recent-ish router just go wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Following Christmas I'm going to have a spare Ryzen 3600 laying around and I want to put it into a small form factor build. This PC will be used for web browsing, streaming, and light gaming at 1080p.

I'm mostly concerned with where to start looking for a small case. Something with a handle would be neat since this PC might get periodically moved around the house. Any suggestions? The Lian Li PC-O11D looks pretty good but has no handle. That's not a deal breaker but I'm just curious if ya'll have other suggestions.

Kurash posted:

I bought a PC at the start of the pandemic in 2020, I wanted a reasonable gaming rig for $1000-1200 CAD. While it has certainly held up, the future is happening faster than I anticipated and it's really starting to struggle with UE5 stuff.

The question is, is this system worth upgrading? I'm not convinced any one part is the problem so it's starting to feel like it might be indeed time for (another) new rig

MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 RX 580 8GT 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler

For what it's worth I have a similar system (3600 non-X and a 580) that is getting the following changes for the holiday season:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($177.61 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)

The existing Radeon 580 (forget the specific card manufacturer) was bought used during the pandemic and had issues that required underclocking the memory by about 10 MHz to get it stable. Figured anything, even last gen, would be a substantial upgrade. I picked the 5700X because the 5800X3D was more than I wanted to spend and the 5700 still kept the same 65W rating so I wouldn't have to consider changing heatsinks, in this case an Arctic Freezer 34 Duo.

Whether or not that's enough to get you where you want to be depends on what you're playing. There's also a 5700X3D on the horizon that might be worth a look.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 22, 2023