Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So I updated based on thread advice. Does this look ok?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1006.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-09 21:59 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Ok, so I have all of my parts. Any recommendations on a decent guide on how to put it all together?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

This is awesome. Thanks

One more thing. When I first started posting about building a PC I was told not to purchase Windows because I should be able to get it free. What is this about?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So I have finished my first ever build! Everything seems to be running good. Is there anything I need to check or keep an eye on? I know I should be watching temps. What program is goon recommended for temps?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have one other issue that may be relevant to the thread.

The past few nights I've been leaving the PC on to download stuff(on DSL) but at some point the PC freezes, screen still up but not able to do anything. Have to hard reset. It looks to be around 1 to 2 hours after I stop using. I have tried changing the power options to performance but that didn't work.

I think it must be some setting that kicks in after going idle for too long but I just can't nail it down. Any ideas?