Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Noctua put up a CPU list with what to expect from each CPU in passive mode or with the fan. Seeing the 3700X do worse than the 5800X seemed really weird until I remembered that Zen 3 throttles clocks a lot less when run at/near thermal limits. Pretty crazy that it can make the 105W 5800X do better than the 65W 3700X tho.

https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-P1-68/cpus/AMD/AM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tell me the use cases, I've been waiting to hear the use cases all drat day.

this all feels like some audiophile thing, they're trying to remove all moving parts but they still have to use a power supply with a fan, so they low key don't talk about that.

There are fanless PSUs and if you buy a high end, high wattage normal PSU often the fan won't even start spinning until you're drawing 400+ watts or something.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

I have about a hundred saved builds on PCPartpicker, at least I'm just wasting time and not more money.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

You have to get to Microcenter early for the raffle or get there right before they put any remaining cards not sold in the raffle up for sale (3PM at my location). There's a discord channel with employees in it that's really helpful if you want to snag a card.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Rinkles posted:

How much would a 3060ti be at MC?

This is from my local Microcenter so it probably varies some, ignore the red.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah they never have the cheapest ones on the list, usually the higher end models but not always the absurdly overpriced ones.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Can't decide between Raphael and Raptor? ASRock has just the board for you!

https://twitter.com/GoFlying8/status/1575141571845971968?s=20&t=YxZHTBe0DwKlh9FtTW9xPQ

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Microcenter is offering free RAM with a 7700X, 7900X, or 7950X, this kit should OC to 6000 pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Incessant Excess posted:

When looking at capable air coolers, Ryzen 7 or i7 level, are there any brands other than bequiet and Noctua worth considering?

Deepcool AK620 is pretty good and cheaper than Noctua.