Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Troubleshooting your build

Additional troubleshooting advice to go here.

Some quick basics in the meantime.

If your new system is not powering on

• Make sure the little switch on your PSU is flipped on.
  • Check power connectors for CPU (8-pin by CPU socket), motherboard power (giant connector), and GPU power connectors
  • Check that RAM is fully seated
  • Check diag lights and refer to motherboard manual for meaning
  • If your fans are spinning, look above, it has power

the ram will look fully seated, have booted in a previous configuration as if it was fully seated, not need any clicks or whatever don't believe their lies. click em out and click em in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would also give a slightly dissenting opinion on HDDs? people get this really, really twisted because they remember the dark ages of loading a game off the same drive your OS is running from. this is a bad idea - any drive your OS is running from is constantly reading/writing system files, and since that takes up an adequate-to-significant amount of your bandwidth of course it means games take for loving ever to load. don't configure your poo poo like this, OS on the fastest drive and games somewhere else.

because, and this is really important, the primary bottleneck when loading a game specifically is typically CPU, not your storage. the game pulls all the compressed data from your disk, HDD or SDD, decompresses it into something your engine can process and you're away. which is to say you hit the "ceiling" with load speed very quickly- you can throw the fanciest NVME 3D nand high tech whatever you want at it, it can only address part of the problem - it won't let your chip decompress those files any faster. this is why the difference between game load time of SATA SSDs, SATA m.2 and SATA NVME are borderline identical despite on paper them having a massive gap.

for this reason quick smaller SSD + big old HDD is a very good price/performance sweet spot. move anything you get a competitive advantage loading in faster after a crash (eg Apex) and whatever else you play a lot, and stick your older stuff on a barracuda or something. again so long as it's not also doing something else, like hosting the OS or doing a gigantic transfer or something, a HDD in this config ain't bad and is very kind to your wallet.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tell me the use cases, I've been waiting to hear the use cases all drat day.

this all feels like some audiophile thing, they're trying to remove all moving parts but they still have to use a power supply with a fan, so they low key don't talk about that.

any environment that's exceptionally dirty, like a warehouse with a diesel forklift or a factory with dust from their industrial process, have extremely serious issues with fans - they're going to get clogged pretty loving fast, so maintenance is a nightmare and/or leads to downtime. fanless cases also get dirty of course but it's drastically slower and as such there is a use case.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hrm, here's a question for y'all

here's my current setup

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.50 @ MemoryC)
Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($131.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $916.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-17 13:15 EDT-0400

more or less, i think - there are some loose 128 gig SSDs occupying the spare SATA slots but none i'm attached to.

i've got a birthday comin' up, and people are asking me what to buy. if i was going to upgrade what's worth pursuing? i'm keeping my eyes out for a swap for like a 3600 or 5600, i could add two more sticks of ram or buy higher quality than the 3000 overclocked to 3200 in there. in terms of cooling i don't have any problems. i have spare lil baby pci slots but i think they're under the 3070?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Swap out that CPU for sure. See if your board supports the 5600 first, a 3600 is fine if not. Nothing else looks like a must-upgrade.

it's possible upgrade, all b450s are or at least should be, and i'd have the 3300x chip spare to do the procedure, wouldn't i? that's how i understood it anyway.

i have seen £140 3600s, and i've on rare occasions seen 5600s for £200-225 - probably will see some in response to prime day. to be fair though i'm sure if two more cores are going to do very much in gaming scenarios in particular, the 3300x is legit a great lil chip. i'd really only need to justify it if i had some productivity use case and i don't of current. it's also the most expensive upgrade - another 16 gig ram kit would be, 60ish? and going to 32 via two higher quality 16 gig sticks would be about £140, i think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

At 1440p I’m not expecting a very large FPS increase here.

CoolCab, is your CPU maxing out in any task you’re performing (including games)? If it’s not maxing out, you’re unlikely to see anything worth the spend out of upgrading to a 5600x. 1080p would be a different story.

yeah it's very well paired at this resolution but it's still mostly a GPU bottleneck, and this was more GPU than I'd typically buy. honestly if the market wasn't bananas of current and we could actually buy at advertised prices i'd be recommending a 3300x and 3060ti/3070 pairing as a mid tier gaming machine by default (over 1080p). i've been very happy with the price/performance.

quote:

Everyone’s priorities are different. But for me, I’d either want cash to save for a bigger rebuild, or more SSD space as that can always carry over.

There’s also other stuff like a nice mouse, keyboard, desk chair, a second monitor or monitor arms.
yeah i was thinking storage, if i saw a nice 2tb or so sata ssd that would be tempting. i do have three monitors actually, i had that before i finalized this rig - loving gigantic when taking notes on a zoom call for instance. because i had to take all my classes remotely all the money that would have gone into, idk bus fares, shoes and socialization went into upgrades this previous year. same with chair and mouse.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

B450 support of Zen3 is down to the board manufacturer.

ah, appreciate the heads up, a quick googling looks like i'd be okay.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
while we're on the topic of "things that everyone misses", if you've bought a higher refresh rate monitor windows 10 does not automatically enable it. you have to right click on your desktop, display settings, advanced display settings and turn it on under "monitor".

if you don't do this your high refresh rate monitor is almost certainly displaying at the default of 60hrz. a few times i've described this in discords or w/e and had someone lurking go "OH MY GOD" so it's worth repeating!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Are cloud backup solutions cost viable in the consumer space? I plan on moving continents in a few years and idk if that’s worth pursuing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
might get away with 1440p 60 but you might not be able to crank it settingswise. entirely a GPU bottleneck too, i don't think the chip will be your limiting factor but please correct me if i'm mistaken.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
goto ebay in your region, search the product, filter by "Completed sales". eyeball price from there

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Furnaceface posted:

Gone by the time I saw this. :v:

Never in 20 years of ordering parts have I been this frustrated or exhausted looking for something as simple as a GPU. You guys werent exaggerating when you said its hell right now.

it's legit gotten a little better of late, actually. this time two months ago was even worse lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gothmog1065 posted:

So it looks like prices are starting to fall and availability is going up on GPUs. I'm looking for something that is equivalent or better than my Radeon HD 7870.

From what I can tell I have 2ish options:

Radeon RX 5600
GeForce 16/2660.

Are those a moderately decent upgrade for what I have? I'm not pulling the trigger yet, but it just seems they're coming more available now (Especially the GeForce). I'd rather keep a Radeon because of drivers, unless those have gotten easier to swap out.

ah that's about a 760 - sorry i'm terrible with radeon cards, naming in particular - but i had 760 running for a long time.

nvidia does names in a consistent way at least - so, it's XXYY, where X is the generation and Y is where it is on the stack - so a 3070 is of the 30 series and within that product stack fills the 70 role. the stack goes up in performance and cost - 3050, 3060, 3070 and as a rule of thumb every generation goes up one - so a 1080 is equivalent to a 2070 is equivalent to a 3060 and so forth. it's kind of confusing - it went 700, 900, 1000, 2000, 1600, 3000, please don't ask me why, with the 1600 series being a budget option. oh and sometimes they will have "super" or "ti" added after and they're totally different cards it's dumb.

a 970 would probably be the cheapest upgrade for you if you could get it on the cheap, or something around there (a 1080, a 1070ti maybe secondhand or something). for new (in increasing cost) i would suggest a 1650 or 1660 or the super/TI versions of the same, then a 2060, then the 30 series. someone more clued up on AMD can make better reccomendations there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Butterfly Valley posted:

At RRP, the cheapest new card you can get would be the RTX 3060 at $329. The cheapest AMD offering atm is the 6700 XT at $479. These would both be huge upgrades over your current card. There are currently no budget or midrange options because all production capacity is going towards the more expensive cards because why wouldn't they make as many as they can while they're selling like hotcakes.

i think they've put the 2060 specifically back into production? so you can get "new" as in fresh from a retail outlet cards, but not "new" as in new technologies and such.

have they stopped making the 16 series?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

boop the snoot posted:

Hi friends. This is kind of related to pc building.

I need an external hard drive that I can plug two computers into at the same time (and both would have access to the files at the same time).

Wireless is not an option unfortunately.

What are my options, preferably under $200? Everything I find only has ports to accommodate one USB cable. Do they make splitters of sorts? Is this what a USB hub does?

Help :(

probably easier to hook up a NAS - that's network attached storage, so it's basically a dumb lil computer that sits on your network. fire a HDD in there and you're away.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LuckyCat posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, possibly streaming in the future, office work.
What's your budget? $700
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics? 3440 x 1440, 120hz. I mostly play older games but I like to play high-ish settings, doesn't have to be max. Right now I am playing FFXIV and Albion Online.

I'm looking to upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM. I have a 1080ti which I am content with, and a good power supply that is less than 2 years old.

For CPU it seems like the Ryzen 5600x is pretty highly recommended. I have a mid-tower case - what mobo would be good to pair with, and RAM too?

a 5600x, ram that's optimally 3600 cl16 but anything over 3000 is OK if you're on a budget, a b550 with decent reviews (there's a motherboard tier list on LTT if you want but mostly that's marketing) and whatever features you need like wifi or whatever. you're good.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LuckyCat posted:

Thank you! Also I remember the last time I built a pc the onboard networking was something to look out for. At the time intel networking was the best and everyone said to avoid killer. What about Realtek? Is this even still an issue?

i think the only relevant metric there is how quick the onboard ethernet connection is (think you can get like, 1 gig, 10 gig or whatever)?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that's a full ATX mobo, would that fit in a mid tower? i can never tell how that works.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nice, thanks for the clarification! oh and LuckyCat - once you've got the ram you gotta turn the XMP (or, i think it's called DOCP on some boards for some reason?) in the bios. that will set your ram to the higher speed it advertises, that will allow your 5600X to go at it's full potential speed. a lot of people miss this step.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
450 for a 2070 is not a terrible price but honestly prices are trending downwards significantly so it might not be much of a deal in a month's time, or six. i mean poo poo i lack a crystal ball i am not saying it definitively, just the possibility.

you absolutely can put together the rest for 550, it depends what you want to do. the budget route would be something like a, what, a b450 or b550 mobo ryzen 3100 or 3300X (if you can find it), 16 gigs of DDR4 at 3000mhz and then power supply, case, NVME drive (wd's sn550 is recommended) and you're away.

e: but it might still be cheaper to go with a prebuild GPU prices are loving stupid rn

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Siroc posted:

So I made a little progress: I found a BIOS setting called PCIEX16_1 Bandwidth Bifurcation Configuration; I changed this from AUTO to x8/x8 Mode, and now I can boot from the PCIe 1 slot at x8 speed instead of x16 speed. Any Thoughts? I can RMA again, but what prevents this same issue from cropping up? Is it an architecture thing?

are you using a riser cable?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sarcastro posted:

I know the general disdain in this thread for RGB madness, and for the most part I share it,

when i was building in the depths of the lockdown component shortage last year i consistently found that rgb had an inverse price premium - it costs more or less nothing to add RGB, the big boys use it to differentiate their premium products but the budget manufacturers do not give a poo poo. that's why my power supply has RGB in it :q:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm in the US, budget is... I could scrounge $300 maybe, if necessary? Less would be preferable. Honestly not sure anything is in budget right now, this was unexpected, but that's definitely the highest I could go. Needs to be at least able to play Titanfall 2 reliably - my son is obsessed with the game right now, and I think it's the most graphically demanding thing I own short of VR, and the VR can wait until I can get something good.

yeesh, terrible timing yeah - gpu situation has gotten a little bit better but it's still awful. if you're willing to go secondhand a 970 would be fine, like 100-150 bucks ish? check facebook market, like a 1050ti or something around there will be fine, maybe a 1650 or 1660 although that would definitely be more expensive.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I don't even know where people sell used GPUs so even advice as basic as "facebook market" is super appreciated, the suggestions on specific cards to look for is even better, thank you!

I was worried I might have to pay more than I did buying it new to get the same thing used, or something crazy like that, but it sounds like that's only almost the case!

these prices are still way inflated over last year. uh, sec i have a used GPU buying guide somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VkkEHDG5E

kind of technical but it goes into the common pitfalls. i can say personally with facebook market in particular there are for sure scammers running around so be a smart shopper. i've sold two (working!) GPUs this way. you want people who ideally are the first owners and who give an accurate description of the unit with lots of pictures. unfortunately facebook market can kind of attract casual sellers in a way that not even ebay manages so there's a lot of legitimate sellers who just throw up "£50 or offers collection only" type posts.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh hrm and also, the only other thing that will influence shopping is case size/clearance (ie, actually getting the fucker in there) and power overhead. what kind of PSU you got? a 960 isn't super power demanding.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

doomrider7 posted:

What are the benefits of an M.2 ssd over the usual ones?

m.2 is the form factor; it's a different connector which allows for much higher transfer speeds compared to the older SATA cable (which we hit the cap on some time ago). some are still called SATA m.2 for some reason but there's also NVME m.2 drives which are even faster and they aren't both universally supported. typically it will be your motherboard that determines compatibility although you can buy PCIE m.2 cards.

some protips: some motherboards share the bandwith between the m.2 and some of the sata ports, so sometimes plugging an m.2 in will disable some of your SATA ports, watch out for that. typically for gaming in particular you don't need the super high end fancy ones with heatsinks on, an SN550 will perform almost identically in game loads. you need the stupid loving screw and standoff and that's a pain in the rear end.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

M.2 is a form factor standard - the advantage of M.2 drives over 2.5" SATA SSD drives is that they are about the size of a stick of gum and screw in to a specific slot in your motherboard without cables. M.2 form factor drives can use either SATA or NVMe to transfer data; NVMe is faster although you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in day-to-day.

edit: extremely smoked by coolcab
:grin:

quote:

edit2: though i would argue the standoff and screw are not bad and it's a one time operation that beats the poo poo out of cable mgt

well, unless you lose the little tiny screw when you first build the machine not realizing how mission critical it is, then have to buy it on amazon for five loving pounds and can't install your drive for a week, then after the amazon parcel arrived find the original lost screw. ask me how i know!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was THIS close to just red greening the fucker and duct tape the thing down but i was afraid of causing a short or something, lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Leave posted:

I'm not looking to build a machine, but I am looking to buy a pre-built; I'm not quite sure if this is the right thread or not, and if it isn't, let me know and I'll post in that thread, but would this computer be worth a drat? It looks good and the price is within my range, but I want to be sure before I go ahead and make a major purchase like that.

it's not terrible but it's kind of a mismatch for gaming imo - more money spend on the CPU when i imagine most people would strongly prefer spending more on the GPU. you could get away with much less. i have also heard bad things about the thermals of those. oof people complaining in the reviews about the cooler yeah maybe it's kind of terrible. it also probably is single rank because the big prebuilt boys love doing that for some insane reason, so your CPU will be even more constrained.

if you have some CPU task like, productivity or something, make videos or whatever, you could justify this. but if i was spending 1100 bucks i'd be looking for a 3060 at least.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh wait poo poo i just noticed the 400w power supply wtf lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

3060 desktop units are still somewhat pricey unfortunately. The cheapest one of those on Newegg currently is $1250, and it does not look particularly great. The thermals seem bad unless you move some fans around (and then lose the RGB look on the front panel, which may or may not be bad for you). And the parts look good in theory, but it apparently uses a motherboard with a custom BIOS that is missing some features and limiting the system unnecessarily, which is making me reconsider my recommendation above. In a review of another ABS computer, they mention that there are workarounds, but it risks bricking your motherboard if something goes wrong. Welcome to the world of OEMs, I guess. Most prebuilts will be like this. If you're willing to work around those issues, though, I don't think it'd be a bad system necessarily, though again maybe a few hundred bucks overpriced (especially considering the issues you'll have to solve yourself)

yeah might be me suffering that age old transatlantic expat disorder of confusing the relative value of pounds and dollars, or at very least extrapolating UK market conditions to the US market.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
go on facebook market and search "ryzen", there probably will be someone offloading a 1600 or 3100 or something, you can resell it when you're done. AMD used to have some kind of loaner program but idk if it's still ongoing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
5600G, 16 gigs of ddr4 3000mhz or 3600 if you've got budget overhead, b550, sn550, whatever PSU and case that the budget allows, i'd suggest.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
eyeballing pricing (look for bundles as it will bring down cost) but you can get the CPU/iGPU for 260, good enough motherboard and ram for another 200 (probably less than that if you're not picky tbh) then another hundro for the storage brings you up to 560. this system will not be exceedingly demanding powerwise and you can get very cheap cases that will more than cover the cooling needs of a single six core. and it could easily take a GPU in future, too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ideal for high framerate 1080p, yeah, assuming the cooling is adequate which with a dell is far from a lock.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

RVT posted:

What's a decent bracket I can buy to support a 3080? Ordered a computer from cyberpower in April and it finally arrived, right as supply started improving, but whatever I guess. They put an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in it, and it has the most massive cooler I've ever seen on a video card. When I took the foam out, it sagged a little, so I want to put some support under it.

i think i used a plastic bottlecap that happened to be the right size...

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Waroduce posted:

Are there any major concerns with this pre-built? The only thing I hit on was the processor being a bit older

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6452133

buh? that processor is extremely new, it's comparable to the GPU actually

e: and yeah it will have ethernet for sure via the network card

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Little fishes posted:

If there's tangible benefit to be had I could go over as this will hopefully be a tax-break. Would £1,300 be a good spot? Very open to budget advice, thought I'd at least give a jumping off point.

you can get a great pc for 1300 quid, sec. something like this config

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/awd-mb520-drgb-intel-10400f-6-core-43ghz-nvidia-rtx-3070-8gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming-ps112990-3758916

isn't entirely perfect (you'd need more memory at very least) but gives you an eyeball of what you can clear for that much money, or something on the ryzen side

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-36003600x3700x-rtx3070rtx3080-gaming-windows-packages-from-ps125000-at-palicomp-3764461

the 3600 config at least if your primary motivator was gaming or GPU AI stuff.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
or, on the cheaper side

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ry...alicomp-3764673

that's got some slightly goofy components in (the 3500X was an asia only 6 core cpu without hyperthreading, go figure) it and if absolutely nothing else i would insist upon you upgrading the PSU, but you'd be clearing a thousand i think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
haha, any excuse to put a life wasted on hotukdeals to good use.

if you don't want a GPU you can put something together yourself to get a hell of a lot more CPU performance and avoid the prebuild entirely, that's only really recommended if you get an incredible deal, aren't comfortable doing the work yourself or want the peace of mind of a warranty or if it's GPU apocalypse times. GPU availability is currently trending upwards and that's bringing prices down a little but there's still a way to go. you could probably even config some REALLY goofy stuff, i mean:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-threadripper-12-core-1920x-35ghz-tr4-3754043

that's a secondhand threadripper 12 core, i mean a few generations old but for the purposes of discussion, that you could probably sneak by under a grand, quad channel 32 gigs with all new other parts (probably not a great motherboard but whatever). not that i'd suggest it but it demonstrates the incredible flexibility you have on that budget. as Pilfered put it your objectives can benefit from an arbitrary quantity of performance so it will be down to the compromises you wanna make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was under the impression most emulation needed single core but don't uh, quote me on that.