Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What are the current x570 and b550/520/etc. motherboards that goons recommend.

I'm looking to swap my 3900x for a 5800x, and probably get a new motherboard either for a new system for the 3900x, or for a mobo upgrade for the 5800x.

My current motherboard is the x570 asus tuf wifi, which was goon recommended. (Also thanks to a generous goon, I have a used post-tariff-msrp rtx 3080 on the way. :dance: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

In gaming?

Basically 0 difference. Do not buy a 5800x for this use case

5800x is a pretty good cpu if you also plan on using the system for content creation.

In normal times: 5800x is the cpu you get if you can't afford $100 more for the 5900x, and you have a need for apps that use more cores. In most cases for content creators or others who need a good amount of cores, you'd be better with 5900x.

Right now though, 5800x is what you mostly have to get if you need a system right now and can't keep trying your luck over and over to get the 5900x.

5800x is still easily enough for most artists and animators though. Pugetsystems uses it for their baseline builds for both 2d and 3d artists. It sucks losing those cores if you did kinda need them, but 5800x will do just fine for most creative professionals for now. Unless you *really really really* need the core count of the 5900x, 5800x isn't bad at all.

Also - if you plan on doing a lot of livestreaming on your system, 5800x is a solid choice since OBS loves multi-core. 5600x should still be just fine for casual streaming for the most part though.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 28, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

But he’s just gaming, discord and browser tabs.

Absolutely zero of that will benefit from a 5800x+. Not enough to be worth the extra $$ anyway. That cash would be better served shoving into a better GPU or doubling the ram.

The only way I’d recommend a 5800x in this case is if you’re already buying a high end 3080 and 32/64gb of ram and a great case/cooling solution, and you have $100 that extra that you intend to spend. Then sure.

I agree, just spelling out the reasons why you'd go for the other CPUs.

5600x would be just fine for most people here. If you're doing content-creation or similar tasks that involve multi-core apps, then a 5800x or greater.

A 5600x will certainly make a difference, if not now then in a few years from now, where the 5800x won’t make a difference in a few years.

The 3600 is fine, but it’s not adjacent to the 5600x in gaming.

I'd argue that the performance uplift in gaming for zen 3 is easily worth the roughly 60 dollar difference. You'd be gaining something around 20-40fps in a lot of games.

If you are pinching pennies, then 3600 is not bad though, especially if you can find it marked down especially cheap.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 29, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

MSI has this cartoon dragon mascot that they never use in their actual product design (which I'm sure a lot of gamers sick of perpetually-stuck-in-early-2010s 'gamer aesthetics' would enjoy) but they will make a PC that looks like a giant severed head of zer0 from borderlands 2.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I have a challenge for you folks. I know a lot of newbie artists who are on tight budgets and need to get their first 'real' art PCs. (Many of them are using old trashy laptops.)

So I'm trying to get a budget build of 'suggested/example parts' together for the minimum of what they need to use digital art apps reasonably decent, in their babbys first budget art-PC build.

I'd want to put stuff together that they could use NOW but which has somewhat of an upgrade path for adding a GPU, more ram, and more space later.

Some of the parameters I'm looking at would be:

-A 4-core option and 6-core option for the CPU, each which have integrated graphics so they can use it right now without a GPU. (FYI 4-core is the absolute minimum for a lot of art apps to even work. 6-core would be the preferred option.)

-16 gb ram - this is the minimum for semi-reasonable performance in art apps; they're going to need to upgrade to 32gb later of course.

-A budget motherboard that allows a reasonable upgrade path.

-A power supply that has enough reasonable overhead for expansion for a GPU and other potential stuff later. (Or even swap in a new CPU.)

-Budget case that is pretty easy and accessible to build in for newbie PC builders.

I'd want to see how low-cost we could get this without sacrificing a whole lot. Somewhere around 500-800 bucks USD would be the sweet spot maybe.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 11, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

CoolCab posted:

5600G, 16 gigs of ddr4 3000mhz or 3600 if you've got budget overhead, b550, sn550, whatever PSU and case that the budget allows, i'd suggest.

If they are going AMD, maybe they could even just get a regular non-APU AMD cpu and get one of those e-waste gt 1030s or gt 210s for a cheap video output until they can get a real gpu.

It wouldn't be the worst thing to have a cheapo backup video output GPU onhand in case of a 'main' GPU failure. And they'd have a regular non-APU zen 3 that would be better for them long-term.

Also - It is real aggravating how so much of this is dictated by the fact that the GPUs that would be normally going for around $100-150 are going for $250-400 right now and they're gonna have to wait things out. :sigh:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 11, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The problem is that there are newbie artists who need pcs either right now or like within the next month. I want to have something for them to refer to as a 'general list' but when they actually pull the trigger on a build, they should consult other people on PC building forums or discords that can help them, so they can get more specific than the general list.

The general list can be basically a starting point.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Lowkey one of the best 'upgrades outside my system that helped my system' is installing a good quality window-mounted air conditioner, and a dust filter fan in my office/gaming room.

The room's ambient temps always being cool have actually helped improve my PC performance, and I haven't had to dust the interior as much as I used to.

IMO don't overlook stuff like that as part of your setup if you can help it. Nothing's more unpleasant than trying to game or get work done on a heat-generating pc in an already--roasting-hot-summer room.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 26, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gamers Nexus has a new particularly thorough PSA about Gigabyte and newegg irresponsibly offloading dangerous exploding power supplies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Quite literally if you can secure a GPU you pretty much have a PC right now. Your ability to build a PC or not will pretty much revolve around that. (Or using a CPU with onboard APU until you can get one.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Just out of curiosity for the near-future - are there any goons near the Tustin California micro-center?

I'm about a 2 hour drive away from there - I'd love to hook up with goons for potential hangouts if we're trying for GPUs together or something.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't it wonderful how much our hobby is at the mercy of a highly unstable speculative asset?

Hobby/careers. A portion of us actually need those GPUs for stuff like video editing, animation, modeling, etc. (Animator here.)

And yeah it loving sucks.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Picked up a gen 4 nvme 2tb wd black ssd that I'm gonna install over the weekend. So I have a few questions and stuff to get feedback on from you folks:

I currently I have a gen 3 1tb that's my main boot drive. I actually want to make the new gen 4 drive my boot drive. I was told it's a pain in the rear end to do that - but I'm going to look into it and do it when I can. If there's any potential snags I should know going into it, let me know.

Also - I went gen 4 because I am doing freelance animation work now that involves moving around and working with a lot of very big files, so this will definitely help efficiency - I will likely invest in another gen 4 2tb ssd in the very near future too. (The old one can go into a gaming/secondary build!)

I was also informed that gen 4 benefits from heatsinks, but it isn't necessary for gen 3. My gen 4 will use the heatsink that came with my motherboard, but the gen 3 will have no heatsink, but apparently that shouldn't be a problem. So I'm probably going to have to get a heatsink for if and when I replace it with a gen 4 though. Any thoughts or comment on the heatsink stuff?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The 5600G has integrated graphics and I believe is not as capable a CPU compared to the 5600 or 5600X, and it seems a little redundant to have an iGPU in a machine with a dedicated GPU.

Literally if you want your CPU to have onboard graphics without cutting down the CPU's normal performance, you need to get an intel CPU, or you need to wait on the ryzen 7000 series cpus coming this fall.

I'm looking forward to it just as a means of being able to add additional displays beyond the usual 4. For certain kinds of multitasking I do, that would be potentially handy.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Quick PC desktop accessory question - what are some goon-recommended battery backup surge protectors?

My current surge protector just protected me from a power surge but shut down my PC while I fortunately wasn't doing anything important.

I'm looking for a good reliable affordable basic one that'll just protect me from having interruptions like that, or letting me save work and shut down during power outages etc.

My desktop build is a 3900x + 3080 workstation with a 850w gold psu by the way.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

I swear by the APC Back-UPS Pro series, S versions optional if you expect to draw north of 500W consistently, and with your setup you probably will.

Cyberpower are cheaper, but with my single-digit sample size they've had markedly shorter lifespans than APC.

Cool, so any specific models I should be looking at that you or other people here would suggest?

I asked on a PC building discord and they pointed me to this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GRY1W93/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_QA9MNA4Q2PKA1PCFQVCV

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 7, 2022

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Hey, question for folks regarding cpu bottlenecks and whatnot.

My brother has a i5-2500K that is using a gtx 1080 owned by me as his rx 480 died - he wants to get his own gpu for this older cpu system that wouldn't be too much of an overbuy for the cpu. What gpus would he be looking at right now.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's a decade old CPU, literally every modern GPU will be bottlenecked by it. Better to think about a total overhaul at this point rather than letting a 10 year old part dictate what GPU he gets.

I agree totally - I am trying to talk him into upgrading to a new system later this year.

For now I want my gtx 1080 that he's currently using back so I can throw it in my older system as a backup in case my main workstation build fails. (So I can keep doing animation freelance work uninterrupted.)

I'm currently looking at getting him to pick up a 6600xt or 6650xt. Yes it will bottleneck like heck. But that seems to be the good current option for when he upgrades later on.

Anyway - I just talked to him now in the middle of typing this post and it looks like he will in fact be getting a new-system upgrade later this year around later summer or fall-ish.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 20, 2022

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I got an artist pal looking to build a PC for 3d art/animation in Blender (and also 2d art) - they are on a budget of roughly around 1000 euro, but can wait a bit longer to get more budget.

This is a parts list a friend of theirs suggested, and would love to see what your folks critique is:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FtXwqm

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€187.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€109.90 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€62.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€99.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB VENTUS 2X Video Card (€437.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Silverstone PS13 ATX Mid Tower Case (€60.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€98.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1056.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

My feeling is that they should get a 12700k, 32gb of ram, and 750w/850w gold power supply. They could also get a 6600/6600xt/6700xt etc. which would be way more Blender bang for your buck than the 3060.

IMO they shouldn't skimp on the CPU and power supply at least to start off though. Other upgrades can be purchased later.

Also their parts list doesn't have a CPU cooler - what is current goon recommended CPU coolers for workstations like this, by the way? I'm out of the loop on that.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Got an artist pal who is looking to buy/build this parts list, but wants some criticism and suggestions before they pull the trigger.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/D6Ksnt

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€414.00 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler (€62.90 @ Galaxus)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€205.00 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€107.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€113.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6600 8 GB DUAL Video Card (€324.95 @ Computeruniverse)
Case: Silverstone PS13 ATX Mid Tower Case (€53.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€109.90 @ Galaxus)
Total: €1392.30

Edit:

After some tweaks, this is an updated parts list.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/VB7gQ6

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€414.00 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€76.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€205.00 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€107.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6600 8 GB DUAL Video Card (€324.95 @ Computeruniverse)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€101.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€109.90 @ Galaxus)
Total: €1439.58

They are mainly looking to use this build with student work on Blender for their art/animation school. I urged them to hold out for a better GPU but they need to assemble this build in time for when school starts next month. I suggested at least getting a 6700xt tho since the cheapest model is only a bit more.

They are also probably going to need a couple 140mm case fans.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 13, 2022

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If they're getting a B660 board, then they should just get the cheaper non-K variant of the 12700. The only thing it loses is overclockability (locked out on B660 anyway) and like, 100MHz off its max boost clock.

Butterfly Valley posted:

They shouldn't hold out for the next gen of cards or anything but they should absolutely be prioritising the best GPU they can get now, and to me getting the 12700k and a 6600 looks very unbalanced when Blender runs better off the GPU.

Update on my artist pal:

-They said they will be using Blender in super low-poly modes running of the APU just to start, so they will not have a problem learning the ropes of the program without a GPU while they wait to get budget up for a blender-suitable gpu. They will basically be doing that for like little under a month before getting a GPU. This should be fine since most of early learning on blender is getting used to the UI anyway. They'll be aiming to get a 3070/6700xt or, depending on their budget, up to whatever their power supply can handle. (I think 750w gold can handle up to 3090/6900xt?)

-They decided they will be getting a z690-p board since it costs pretty close to a b660 board the budgeted for to begin with.
They're getting this puppy: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/vxt9TW/asus-prime-z690-p-wifi-d4-atx-lga1700-motherboard-prime-z690-p-wifi-d4 <---which seems pretty darn solid!

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 14, 2022

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

My wifi antennae on my Asus Tuf Gaming X570-plus wifi motherboard is dying.

I'm looking for a replacement antennae - any suggestions?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

How does an antenna die?

edit: This is a serious question. It seems implausible to me that an antenna could just die, and I wonder if the issues you're seeing could be caused by something else.

The cord it is connected to has somehow gotten damaged and is barely clinging on. It gives me weak or no connection unless I wiggle it.

Anyway, anyone got any replacement suggestions?

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 8, 2022

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that's it.

Any suggestions for third-party replacements though? I am not fond of the sharkfin look, and it has a tendency to fall apart when I pick it up. (Probably how it got damaged in the first place.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Update on my antennae: Unscrewing the wifi antennae from the motherboard, unwrapping the wire from some USB cables it was curled around, and then recrewing the cable back in seems to have helped. My wifi signal and connection appears to be back to normal even when I jostle the wire now.

Instead of the wire being damaged, I am starting think that maybe the myriad of USB wires it was wrapped over possibly could have been interfering somehow with the thin little wifi's wire signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anywhere here or elsewhere that's collecting what the good black friday tech deals are gonna be?

Also, does anyone know of any particular upcoming black friday deals that are worthwhile.

I'm looking into potentially building a secondary system out of some hand-me-down parts and some black friday deals. (Also I'm interested in deals on 2/4-drive NAS systems.)