Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I had to remember my SA password for this, hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow it has been a year since I played in a game I’m like a legend around these parts now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We already have Infinitum so it's clear we're fine with bad posters :livintrope:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:redhammer:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
##vote Steak let's GO

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
##vote Infinitum it is not that serious but here you are

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Idle Amalgam posted:

I have once again entered the world of survival horror... good luck!

Greetings Mafia Friendfolk,

How do you do? I'm in great spirits! That first cup of coffee is kicking in and I got new mafs to play.

A glorious day indeed.

##vote gulag

##vote Idle Amalgam a real vote. This post feels like a breadcrumb you will go back to when you get close to being voted out to be like 'see I hinted at being something right here' and I don't like it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voodoofly posted:

A caffeine addict?

Something something mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell something something energy references

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Actual newbie question, what does VT even mean?

Vanilla Town, just means you have no abilities other than voting and are town

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Feels like somber/courier is town on town

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

I agree completely, but I’m not sure you’ve played with them enough to know that.

##vote Kashuno

@Somber: I’ve done this exact thing with AC before, your exact feelings on tone, and I was damned wrong. I’m p sure this is townAC. Let’s look elsewhere.

I have never played with AC before I don't think, but I have played several games with Somber and it's a really bizarre callout to specifically say I haven't played games with people considering how many games I've played?? It's also just really questionable as a reason to vote as a like 'this is a player specific meta call I have declared you are making' and feels like you are trying to make a narrative here to get a train rolling on me. Don't like it one bit. ##vote Sandwolf

Idle Amalgam posted:

lol a real vote in joke phase over an innocuous greeting.

##vote cashmoneyscumionaire

Easy enough.

Joke phase is bad, actually.

My vibe of this conversation d1 is that town players are usually looking for something to latch onto and run with it because it produces a good amount of content. It's also I think harder as scum to fake it this early on when there is less to go off of, so I'm leaning town on somber as a result. AC's responsiveness to the accusations and their overall tone feels like a town response explaining their justification; they're not attempting to push the narrative elsewhere or backpedal but clearly and logically explaining their position in a way that tracks to me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always say what I'm thinking that's why I always win

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know I've been gone from mafia for a while but folks I have played and ran a lot of mafia! It's really weird to have to go to my votefinder page and be like 'did you know I have over 200 confirmed mafia games' but here I am

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
on something awful dot com even

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SolusLunes posted:

why not, it's only day 1

also yeah this. Making d1 reads isn't some like, set in stone thing where I will never change my view or reevaluate given new info and seeing some people treat it as such really feels like trying to keep a train going here when it is starting to lose steam

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

hey you know I've been playing with you for maybe a decade, wasn't challenging your meta understanding of the game, was specifically and narrowly talking about YOUR meta understanding of the player AC

oh no it has not been that long has it wtf

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
there's too much posting in this game someone get turbo'd so we can go back to not posting

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

if I may pontificate additionally for a second, i legitimately have 0 ideas how one plays this game. I've played a lot of this game and really the only thing I can summarize from my understanding of my own play is I'm very bad at all aspects - appearing townie (regardless of alignment), not imploding under even the lightest of pressure, reads, not falling into a rabbit hole of paranoia where once I get an idea I'm unwilling to drop it, etc. I have no idea how to fix these problems of mine so I'm entering in a uh state of ignorance. apple poly gees for any insufferableness this causes.

scumpost

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voodoofly posted:

##vote Kash

This is what I'm quoting but it's probably more for the "somb/apostate" feel like town position, then responding to somber with eh gently caress it this post:

Id like to respond to this but I don’t actually understand it so

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voodoofly posted:

I think your vote on IA was scummy.

I think your defense of calling out Apostate and Somb as town was scummy. Specifically trying to throw around your game count.

I think the vote on Sand for basically agreeing with you but questioning how you got there was scummy.

And if you want to get technical, I think calling somber town because he was trying to "latch onto something" fits into your definition of scum having a hard time faking content day 1.

I mean I specifically mentioned games played because it was being implied or otherwise stated I was new/coached so giving perspective on that made sense. Also I don’t really know how explaining my logic to someone is scummy but yea go off. Beyond that, agreeing but not being aligned is a pretty standard thing so ??? At that one

merk posted:

Jesus I’m old

And still here

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voodoofly posted:

The coaches stuff comes up after you voted sand so why would that be a defence to your sand vote and justification or the post I quoted?

Put it another way: I don’t see why you think sand is scum and vote him in that post, and I don’t think you thought he was scum when you voted him as you were more interested in defending your stance on somber and apostate as opposed to making an argument against sand.

I wasn’t going off the post you quoted I was going off of the post I was responding to. Also that’s really a stretch considering I have not really spent time “defending my stance” as I do just..talking and responding as I go?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

not interested in the kashuno case. have a policy to not execute new players day 1

Thanks, GulagDolls

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Kashuno, Sandwolf, and B-Minus just immediately latched onto the AC/Somb town on town theory right off the bat. Kashuno in particular immediately turned around and voted Sandwolf for agreeing with them , but actually providing more context for their theory based on actual play experience, so if I had to shoot one of them, I'd say Kash.

I did not vote sandwolf for agreeing with me?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gay for gacha posted:

This does not feel like a town thing to say.

Town and funny is totally legit

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im reading jon joes posts and yeah this guy set me up to get epicly owned. im town tho. ive also had a 100% accuracy rating over 3 games of naming scum

watch your asses.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is to say, humalong is scum also I will go back and find my reasoning now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Humalong posted:

Interesting. I’m pretty neutral on AC right now, their posts read (to me) like they want to be seen as trying rather than explicitly hunting scum. But it’s still kinda early and I need to reread at some point.

Maybe.

this is their most contributory post to the game to this point and it feels like such really weird hedging to be doing at this point in the game I don't like it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Amnistar sees other players as "experience" as in he gains experience points when he kills us

##vote amnistar that was a scum slip

I am assuming this is a joke vote

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone advocating for a tpink kill seriously is extremely sus

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yeah, I've seen enough to join this wagon. ##vote Rhymes With Clue

Wowee this post right here. Puts the onus on other people and slides right into an easy vote that can be jumped off of with the shifting winds

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I feel like Amnistar is better at shaking heat and there's an actual wagon on RWC that could lead to a lunch at this point. In the end, a scum lunch is a scum lunch no matter which scum you get, and a D1 scum lunch is a treat best not wasted on trying to raise a competing wagon without a really good reason

Lol yeah ok ##vote Meen

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

Does anyone think this is genuine?

It’s bad, but I feel like there is much worse stuff in the last couple hours than this. Wouldn’t be opposed to RWC but definitely not my first choice

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

if there's a particular reason I should be voting for you instead of RWC I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear it

also if you have any particular reasons that we shouldn't be voting for either of you

This is a really bizarre post to me. Just very like “put up or shut up” but formatted in such a way someone should advocate for their own death to save another and I don’t really get that as like..reinforcement for their own position. Combine that with a lot of weird like..idk, game theory posting?, and I feel pretty comfy with my vote.

Also hihi Bif

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

bit sudden but whatevs. I hereby swear I won't change my votes when I make them this game. They will stick until the end of the day. I reserve the right to make the vote whenever but once made I will not unvote or vote someone else at all.

Lmao way to completely mischaracterize what I said but go off

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you implied my post was done in a way where I could change my vote at the drop of a hat. I am proving that part of the assertion false the only way I can. If it's not good enough for you, whatever. If town agrees this isn't good enough then go ahead and lunch me, it's not like I have any other real response to that.

The implication was that you made a vote without investment and could therefore move your vote around if you felt the train lost steam without it being a thing people would comment on, which is why I find it suspicious behavior. I don’t care about people moving their votes, I will likely vote dozens of times if I’m alive long enough to, the point is that it felt like your vote lacked any investment on your part and put the onus on other players to be the ones truly responsible for the kill you’re just along for the ride

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am not gonna vote a d1 replacement lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Idle Amalgam posted:

I think Sandwolf is probably still a good bet to be honest, but literally no one else seems to think this.

I'm going to make a hip-fire list: Probably wolf, gulag, hum, stone cold and another from these weird vibes I'm picking up.

feel good about a sandwolf vote but IMM still feels the most scum to me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
idgi defending myself is my main way of scum hunting and it has served me extremely well in the past so voting someone for defending themselves feels dumb and bad to me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rhymes With Clue posted:

No, at this point it's pretty much gotta be me or Stone Cold if you want to get to 12.

That is completely wrong we have more than enough time to vote out anyone

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like, say IMM

Sandwolf posted:

and it’s something I pursue you for all the time, because if every case you build is rooted in “this person thinks I’m scum,” all your thoughts are going to be intrinsically coming from a place of defiance. It’s bad.

Furthermore, if you spend all your time defending yourself instead of finding scum, it demonstrates an interest in surviving over actually finding scum.

Idk this is more of a game theory thing but I feel like you can think 'this person thinks I am scum, but I feel like they are coming from a town perspective and I can see why they think this way' vs 'oh they think I'm scum therefore bad'

Also I like to survive it lets me play more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

*if you’re town your job is not to survive but to help us find scum*

This is correct though, at the end of the day if you are like 'wow I am gonna die today' getting your scum reads out there and more importantly trying to convince other people to see your reads is incredibly valuable if you do get voted out because it colors your interactions with those players in ways that are valuable for others to review and form patterns off of as the game progresses.