Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ulio posted:

Good to know. I did dex build at launch , now mage and probably gonna do one more before dlc. I totally forgot guard counter, I remember using shield once to check shield bash which is a great ash of war.

Also the ranged mage is getting tedious close to the end, you power through almost everything. I want to get into the thick of it again.

gavel of haima and deaths poker were mainstays for my unga bunga int character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004
the optimum build in bloodboorne is to beeline for the shiny shield on your back while you twohand the biggest hammer or sword you can find

nopants fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 23, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
guard countering is cool and well designed and all but I would often rather just nosell something's attacks and poke them back with a sharp stick.

-t. monster hunter lance player

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
did some prep work for the DLC on my NG+ character, if all you need to do is reach miquella's cocoon then i should be all set

wonder if this might be the first fromsoft DLC i managed to out-level. i'm 185 and rolling +10 starscourge blades. enemies still hit very hard but it doesn't mean much when my every swing is like dropping a sharpened refrigerator on them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

did some prep work for the DLC on my NG+ character, if all you need to do is reach miquella's cocoon then i should be all set

wonder if this might be the first fromsoft DLC i managed to out-level. i'm 185 and rolling +10 starscourge blades. enemies still hit very hard but it doesn't mean much when my every swing is like dropping a sharpened refrigerator on them

TWO sharpened refrigerators! Probably my favorite weapon in the game, even if it's not a min/max choice by any means. Being paired also means you can still guard counter because the powerstance is on R1

It was funny my first playthrough before anybody knew they had +30% damage to gravity type enemies, being among the vanishing few who thought the fallingstar beast and Astel weren't a big deal at all

There is mention of a secondary leveling system, possibly like the giant souls from DS2 but nobody really knows, so being overleveled or not hopefully shouldn't be a big issue. I think going through on NG+ is going to be something mere levels aren't going to spare you from.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I hate the Shunning-Grounds so much. Such an awful area. It's got every miserable enemy in the game. Lobsters, Omen, even a loving Revenant, and the whole place is a twisting brown soup of double-backs and dead-ends.

Every time I get there, I end up betting the game down for a few days because the prospect of clearing it out makes just... tired.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
if you aren't running heal specifically for revenants

...why, actually? nevermind where else this could have gone

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I forgot to put a heal on, cause I swapped that slot with Flame Cleanse Me!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LazyMaybe posted:

guard countering is cool and well designed and all but I would often rather just nosell something's attacks and poke them back with a sharp stick.

-t. monster hunter lance player

I mean, sure, Monster Hunter weapons are hilariously fun to use. Even the bowguns have fun shenanigans like loading up a magazine of machine gun ammo and going ham on whatever is vaguely in front of you.

Now I want an Insect Glaive in Elden Ring so that I can fight dragons in the air and laugh at them.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I hate the Shunning-Grounds so much. Such an awful area. It's got every miserable enemy in the game. Lobsters, Omen, even a loving Revenant, and the whole place is a twisting brown soup of double-backs and dead-ends.

Every time I get there, I end up betting the game down for a few days because the prospect of clearing it out makes just... tired.

I actually really like it as one of the most confusing places in the game. I kind of wish they broke it up a bit with some pretty parts (like a big green waterfall of sewage or something) just so that there was something nice to look at. Feels very Last of Us PS3 Brown otherwise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sometimes the level design should hate you. I hate that area but that's what makes it good too

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

a primate posted:

I actually really like it as one of the most confusing places in the game. I kind of wish they broke it up a bit with some pretty parts (like a big green waterfall of sewage or something) just so that there was something nice to look at. Feels very Last of Us PS3 Brown otherwise.

the subterranean stunning grounds

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not one of their better sewers tbh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I respect what a nightmare it is to navigate, it feels like it breaks some cardinal rule of level design conveyance on purpose

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I respect what a nightmare it is to navigate, it feels like it breaks some cardinal rule of level design conveyance on purpose

it really makes you feel like youve found a dark secret when you reach the lowest rooms

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
always fun to hit that one zone in a fromsoft game that’s like “YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A PLACE WHERE NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS”

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Similar feeling when I found that flattened… thing at Stormveil.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

To me the worst part is the death blight toads, they're terrible in Dark Souls too. You go from fighting to running back and forth out of range of the instakill clouds. Brings the game to a screeching halt.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ban all bassilisks

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

ban all bassilisks

I think they're cute. Little gecko looking buddies.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

melee mage with carian slicer, greatsword and piercer is an extremely fun build. carian slicer even has jump and roll attacks

Ya I dabbled with that for some of the fights vs shielded opponents. I am made out of paper though so I feel like I need to stay out of range.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Mustached Demon posted:

I think they're cute. Little gecko looking buddies.

When I ran across them in ER, I think I first saw those eyes and was like :buddy: IRL. It was like meeting an old friend. :unsmith:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The funniest thing about the shunning grounds is sticking yet another mindfuck troll catacombs down there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't mind the confusing layout of the shunning grounds but the enemy selection does bother me a bit. It's full of enemies who are so tanky it's basically pointless to actually engage with them, and enemies that are mostly harmless if you're careful but force you to wait patiently for their bullshit to disperse (the poison flowers + the curse frogs), two of my least favorite design patterns in Fromsoft games generally.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Beast-Repelling Torch makes them harmless.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the shunning grounds especially the catacombs in there that are designed to gently caress with you

basilisks i just run forward and kill them quickly since they don’t spray the mist backwards

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shunning grounds rules, it's exactly what you're told it's gonna be, it's still got a central chamber linking all its twisty awful paths together, some good loot including a Somber 7, fun dungeon with one of the situationally best talismen in the game, significantly harder than the city above it, literal surprise corpse pit with horrible enemies, it's got it all. I never really feel like a build is complete or worth a drat if I can't clear out everything down there before I leave dragontown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The descent at the end was beautifully atmospheric.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oxxidation posted:

always fun to hit that one zone in a fromsoft game that’s like “YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A PLACE WHERE NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS”

one zone? i thought that was just the entire world in all their games

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wafflecopper posted:

one zone? i thought that was just the entire world in all their games

Majula is incredibly comfy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Shunning grounds rules, it's exactly what you're told it's gonna be, it's still got a central chamber linking all its twisty awful paths together, some good loot including a Somber 7, fun dungeon with one of the situationally best talismen in the game, significantly harder than the city above it, literal surprise corpse pit with horrible enemies, it's got it all. I never really feel like a build is complete or worth a drat if I can't clear out everything down there before I leave dragontown.

It's my favorite dungeon of the game. I love all the little shortcuts you can open up back to the main grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Node posted:

Majula is incredibly comfy

just don't gently caress with the pigs