Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

For me it was probably beating Lady Butterfly. Beating Genichiro on the rooftop was superb, but Lady Butterfly was the first major roadblock I hit and figuring that out was such a great feeling.

I have had a weird experience with the bloodseksouls games in that for vast majorities of them I have stumbled through with what feels like either a ton of luck, or a second mind actually doing the controlling of my fingers while my upper mind watches me and it all happens. Some bosses I arrived at and beat first time without even realising what was going on (quite a few goons watched me do this and some were just as surprised as me).

Owl 2 was the first time I was playing and I felt like I was doing it and learning and applying myself. I loved it. :D I plan on replaying all these games again at the end of next year and seeing if it was luck or my secret second mind.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's nothing in games that compares to getting dumpstered by a boss for an hour straight and then having it click and manhandling them without taking a hit.

I have only played From games since November 2020, but I get it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
From games are all about that high you feel when finally clearing that hurdle that is a difficult area or boss

Sekiro is like a concetrated version of that feeling. Its so good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TheMostFrench posted:

Something else to think about while waiting for this is the alleged production of a Bloodborne HBO series.

https://www.wiredupreport.com/2021/05/07/buzz/confirmed-hbo-and-sony-work-on-a-series-of-bloodborne-the-success-of-from-software/

Bloodborne Article posted:

After seeing the success of Marvel's endless fractal pattern of IPs, from movies to tv shows to spin-off tv shows, virtually every company has been eyeballing a piece of the "crossover pie". But what would that mean for a series like Bloodborne?

Could a triumphant tv adaptation of Bloodborne lead to more shows down the road? Or a movie? "Absolutely" says Amy Hodge, HBO's VP for Original Programming. "Bloodborne is a game series that fans love because of the rich stories it tells. We agree with Sony that the future is in great storytelling and audience engagement, and Sony's diversified portfolio of IP have one thing in common: great storytelling."

So might a MCU-type crossover be possible? Ms. Hodge thinks it's too soon to say but seems genuinely excited by the idea. "If Sony gives the go ahead...and if we can figure out a way to write it, I don't see why we wouldn't find a way to bring some of these rich worlds...these Uncharted, God of War, and [Bloodborne] worlds, into a single universe."

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

VideoGames posted:

I have had a weird experience with the bloodseksouls games in that for vast majorities of them I have stumbled through with what feels like either a ton of luck, or a second mind actually doing the controlling of my fingers while my upper mind watches me and it all happens. Some bosses I arrived at and beat first time without even realising what was going on (quite a few goons watched me do this and some were just as surprised as me).

I think sometimes you can really fluke a boss on your first fight with them. I almost killed Ludwig first try and then didn't get him to his second phase the next fifteen tries. It's weird.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

omg lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Can't wait to see Matt Ross, dressed like a Brotherhood of the Wolf guy, punch a giant pig in the anus.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think sometimes you can really fluke a boss on your first fight with them. I almost killed Ludwig first try and then didn't get him to his second phase the next fifteen tries. It's weird.

Absolutely agree. I have just played all the from games from beginning to end one after the other (BB-DS123-SEK-DeS) and the amount of times I walked into an area and just beat them was weirdly high though. Some of the first times are: Gravelord nito, belfry gargoyles, Burnt Ivory King, dancer of boreal valley, Soul of cinder, and Enshin.

I want to play through the games again, in the same order, and see what happens :) Hopefully a year of soaking in the skills works out well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Yeah I often get into the zone and take a boss to 10%hp first try. Then I think "wow I'm doing great" and proceed to get the poo poo kicked out me for an hour.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

I remember when that annoying streamer dsp, notorious for being terrible at these games and blaming the controls, beat isshin his first try. Think he just brute forced it by spamming the axe and got extremely lucky lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I remember when that annoying streamer dsp, notorious for being terrible at these games and blaming the controls, beat isshin his first try. Think he just brute forced it by spamming the axe and got extremely lucky lol

No way

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

this article is a psyop, presumably intended to drive goons to a state of total unrecoverable madness

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

:aaaaa: I do not know what to say if this is true.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

VideoGames posted:

Absolutely agree. I have just played all the from games from beginning to end one after the other (BB-DS123-SEK-DeS) and the amount of times I walked into an area and just beat them was weirdly high though. Some of the first times are: Gravelord nito, belfry gargoyles, Burnt Ivory King, dancer of boreal valley, Soul of cinder, and Enshin.

I want to play through the games again, in the same order, and see what happens :) Hopefully a year of soaking in the skills works out well.

I'm in the middle of doing that right now. Played DS3 in March because I wanted to give the series a go after being put off by the difficulty and it clicked really quickly. Finished Bloodborne last week and now I'm pretty early into DS1 - just fighting Quelaag right now.

I miss the speed and boss design of the later games but the level design is blowing me away so far. Slipping down further into the sewers while fighting the big rat or creeping through blighttown, going down a giant tree and finding this sea under the earth is so cool.

Really hope they recapture some of that in Elden Ring.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

This blows my mind lol. I remember in DS2 he would spam lightning spear to beat every boss and then got stuck on Looking Glass Knight because it just reflected it with its mirror shield (the boss is one of the easier ones).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Guys calm down it took him four tries before he spammed axe against final phase isshin and best the game.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
https://youtu.be/XSRJGXUMBCs

Was sorta misrembering. Starts at about 40 minutes. It was actually his 4th time fighting isshin proper (he dies to genichiro a couple time too). But he beat isshin the first time he got to isshins 2nd form with the spear. He actually played it quite well! Got a couple of mikiri counters. Then the third form he just ignored the lightning and spammed axe lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

https://youtu.be/XSRJGXUMBCs

Was sorta misrembering. Starts at about 40 minutes. It was actually his 4th time fighting isshin proper (he dies to genichiro a couple time too). But he beat isshin the first time he got to isshins 2nd form with the spear. He actually played it quite well! Got a couple of mikiri counters. Then the third form he just ignored the lightning and spammed axe lol

All the same, if DSP can do it without CheatEngine I don't know what anyone else's excuse is

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

From games are all about that high you feel when finally clearing that hurdle that is a difficult area or boss

Sekiro is like a concetrated version of that feeling. Its so good.

Yep, precisely.

After Souls 1, I never quite had as much challenge from the other Souls or Bloodborne, so they never reached the same highs either.

Sekiro made me feel like I was playing Souls 1 for the first time all over again, having to learn everything anew.

I loved that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

punished milkman posted:

this article is a psyop, presumably intended to drive goons to a state of total unrecoverable madness

My insight jumped to 99 immediately

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i would be excited for actual releases of the alleged adaptations of bloodborne and disco elysium and i'm comfortable with admitting that i am like a clapping seal

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
While there are many, many good bossfights in Sekiro

I think one of my favorite moments might be fighting Genichiro on NG+, and mercilessly dunking him into the trash where he belongs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlestonJew posted:

My insight jumped to 99 immediately

i simply went beastmode on my room when i read it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this article reveals ONE WEIRD TRICK to give you eyes on the inside

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

hbo podcast thing posted:

The story will be similar in structure to movies like Dread or The Raid, with the protagonist set with a seemingly simple task but has to work through a series of battles with enemies. Each episode of the proposed 8-episode season sees the protagonist fighting a boss from the game in the climax. Between what I’ve seen in the script and of concept art, these will be visual feasts for the eyes, and in keeping with the Souls brand of bloody violence.

Excuse me, THE RAID?????
I just don't understand why anyone would think THIS is what to do with bloodborne. If anything should come out of a BLoodborne hbo show it should be True Detective Yharnam

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 17, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xenolalia posted:

Excuse me, THE RAID?????
I just don't understand why anyone would think THIS is what to do with bloodborne. If anything should come out of a BLoodborne hbo show it should be True Detective Yharnam

With the lack of an obvious character story to pull directly from the source, I can see why they might have wanted to go with that kind of action movie format. But... over an eight-episode series? Dread's runtime was 108 minutes, The Raid's was 101 minutes. I don't see how stretching that concept over 8+ hours is a good idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

With the lack of an obvious character story to pull directly from the source, I can see why they might have wanted to go with that kind of action movie format. But... over an eight-episode series? Dread's runtime was 108 minutes, The Raid's was 101 minutes. I don't see how stretching that concept over 8+ hours is a good idea.

If its action based instead of story driven, then I don't see why you can't. If you can choreograph 1 good episode you can choreograph 8 good episodes. Pacing isn't really an issue if its just action for action's sake.

The Preacher show managed to have some fights that reminded me of The Raid or Oldboy, if they can capture that in each episode then it has a chance. Otherwise I am very skeptical of the concept.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

If its action based instead of story driven, then I don't see why you can't. If you can choreograph 1 good episode you can choreograph 8 good episodes. Pacing isn't really an issue if its just action for action's sake.

The Preacher show managed to have some fights that reminded me of The Raid or Oldboy, if they can capture that in each episode then it has a chance. Otherwise I am very skeptical of the concept.

It's the simple problem of getting sick of it after a while. I'll give a single action movie concept 2 hours at most before I want to move on. It would take a truly exceptional pure action concept to hold my attention for an 8-episode HBO series. You'd have to give us something else aside from increasingly escalating action scenes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no tv show based on a videogame was ever a good idea

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
every episode is 50 minutes of getting killed by the boss over and over again and 10 minutes of successfully beating him

the Micolash episode is just an hour long chase scene

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

no tv show based on a videogame was ever a good idea

The old Mario Bros show with Lou Albano being the exception that proves the rule

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

The old Mario Bros show with Lou Albano being the exception that proves the rule

awful trash. the SMB movie otoh....10/10

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lou Albano walked so Bob Hoskins could run

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The only thing you need to do to beat Sekiro is not give up.

not a joke. my partner who doesn't even play video games, had to keep looking to remember what button was which, and still has the "wildly swing controller in the direction you want to move" instinct, managed to power through by sheer determination.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It's the simple problem of getting sick of it after a while. I'll give a single action movie concept 2 hours at most before I want to move on. It would take a truly exceptional pure action concept to hold my attention for an 8-episode HBO series. You'd have to give us something else aside from increasingly escalating action scenes.

So don't binge it? :shrug:

Nah I disagree with that mentality.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
How are the English language names of various characters/creatures etc. arrived at?

For example Seath. Or Logan. Or Patches. Are they English versions of Japanese names? Like, why Undead Burg? Why Burg? Was that a translation? Or does From have such a mastery of English that they can choose just the right words that the tone is often perfect?

What is the process?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

when miyazaki was a kid he read a ton, including english books. in particular he liked playing, and reading sourcebooks of, RPGs like D&D. being a japanese child, he usually wasn't able to read every word, but he understood the names, the general gist, and the illustrations. you may note this is basically all the plot information provided to the player in souls games, which is intentional. these games are good at evoking slightly exotic english-language fantasy because they're based on english-language fantasy as understood by a guy who found them slightly exotic

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

World War Mammories posted:

when miyazaki was a kid he read a ton, including english books. in particular he liked playing, and reading sourcebooks of, RPGs like D&D. being a japanese child, he usually wasn't able to read every word, but he understood the names, the general gist, and the illustrations. you may note this is basically all the plot information provided to the player in souls games, which is intentional. these games are good at evoking slightly exotic english-language fantasy because they're based on english-language fantasy as understood by a guy who found them slightly exotic

more specifically im pretty sure he was reading some dank Glorantha runequest poo poo, which was always a lot more popular in japan than europe. there's a ton of little references and thematic elements in ds1 to it

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

World War Mammories posted:

these games are good at evoking slightly exotic english-language fantasy because they're based on english-language fantasy as understood by a guy who found them slightly exotic

oof. Good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, he's often got co-writers and editors working with him, but he writes or has a direct influence in like a good 70% of the poo poo in these games, and often leans on the archaic spellings of english words. So for example the old english spelling of 'elder' is "ellœrn" which in turn is related to the old german "elderne".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

huh posted:

How are the English language names of various characters/creatures etc. arrived at?

For example Seath. Or Logan. Or Patches. Are they English versions of Japanese names? Like, why Undead Burg? Why Burg? Was that a translation? Or does From have such a mastery of English that they can choose just the right words that the tone is often perfect?

What is the process?

They’re English localizations of Japanese names modeled on English-language fantasy.

Fuligin posted:

more specifically im pretty sure he was reading some dank Glorantha runequest poo poo, which was always a lot more popular in japan than europe. there's a ton of little references and thematic elements in ds1 to it

Quelaag is Cragspider