Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like all the little caves. A replay option where you do all the discrete dungeons and skip over the open world stuff would be nice.

if i've beaten the game once i just want the option "start with all overworld flask upgrades" so i can spend less time getting more healing power than I'll need for at least 5 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So I'm gonna have to play offline because my PC wholy froze and crashed minutes after closing the game and it smells it was the AntiCheat... which apparently doesn't do much to deter actual cheaters. gently caress this poo poo, I want to have the option to invade/get invaded/get help even if I don't use it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

if i've beaten the game once i just want the option "start with all overworld flask upgrades" so i can spend less time getting more healing power than I'll need for at least 5 hours

The biggest dealbreaker for me on a fresh run is uncovering the map again, finding all those tiny pillars on the game world is annoying. That and having to redo any of the Hero's Graves. :mrwhite:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Bro the Heroes Graves are ptsd for me. So lovely lol.

Now that I’ve played Bloodborne after Elden Ring I can very safely say I prefer the Chalice Dungeons to any of the dungeon levels in Elden ring. The caves are generally pretty fun though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Heroes Graves are cool and good if you've ever played puzzle-heavy games.

Like Resident Evil is way more frustrating.

What I can't stand are the labyrinths. The Mohg sewer can eat my rear end.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

I kinda made my own save for this on PC - I spent a bunch of time doing it once at like level 40 and then made a backup that I can swap in/out at will so I kind of have a template. It’s a bit of work mucking with files but def worth it if you want to mess around with builds.

Sadly this is mostly for PvP and not PVE since you need to beat a certain amount of the game to get the world unlocked.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

causticBeet posted:

I kinda made my own save for this on PC - I spent a bunch of time doing it once at like level 40 and then made a backup that I can swap in/out at will so I kind of have a template. It’s a bit of work mucking with files but def worth it if you want to mess around with builds.

Sadly this is mostly for PvP and not PVE since you need to beat a certain amount of the game to get the world unlocked.

but that will lock my other characters into 1 starting class!!! my 2 wasted stat points!!!!!!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

How the hell does wanting to replay a great game equate a broken brain

I suppose it doesn't but I've talked to a lot of people who are one and done with games like this. When I find a game I like I tend to sit with it for a while before I get tired of it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like PC folks can do the Varre quest offline with a simple world flag toggle using cheat engine. Looks like doing Volcano Manor invasions don't work towards it (it would have been an unintended thing anyways)... Oh well.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Guillermus posted:

Looks like PC folks can do the Varre quest offline with a simple world flag toggle using cheat engine. Looks like doing Volcano Manor invasions don't work towards it (it would have been an unintended thing anyways)... Oh well.

I found out this week that using the recusant’s finger doesn’t work for it either, so I had to get my butt kicked by randoms six times instead of three. Whoops.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Guillermus posted:

Thankfully I already did it, cause I also ain't touching Cheat Engine given it's always filled with some kind of adware or malware on purpose.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Guillermus posted:

Why even do this on PC when you can just invade and lose.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chevy Slyme posted:

Why even do this on PC when you can just invade and lose.

Having a too high upgraded weapon at low level makes invasions hard to find

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So use a different weapon

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mention it every time it comes up but you don't even have to lose the invasions, you can just knife out the second you spawn in and it still counts towards the 3, took all of 5 minutes to get them done.

(of course doesn't help any matchmaking difficulties)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

So use a different weapon

it looks in your entire available and stored inventory for your highest upgraded weapon, that wouldn't help at all

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ginette Reno posted:

I suppose it doesn't but I've talked to a lot of people who are one and done with games like this. When I find a game I like I tend to sit with it for a while before I get tired of it.
There's no wrong way to enjoy a single player game

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

There's no wrong way to enjoy a single player game

You are correct.

Can't decide if I want to raise faith to 12 on my Prisoner or just use the faith talisman when I want those points. Might rush the gold scarab and I think I'd need to cure rot for that

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

it looks in your entire available and stored inventory for your highest upgraded weapon, that wouldn't help at all

So, wait, is it possible to drop down in matchmaking by selling or trading your most upgraded weapons?

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Angry Diplomat posted:

So, wait, is it possible to drop down in matchmaking by selling or trading your most upgraded weapons?

No. Highest upgrade level the character as ever acquired.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's weird that it looks in storage. I assumed the main purpose of storage was to get around that. There's no way to access your storage while invading or being invaded, is there?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Storage is for inventory declutter only. Basically a vestigial/legacy thing that hasn’t mattered since Demons Souls

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

You are correct.

Can't decide if I want to raise faith to 12 on my Prisoner or just use the faith talisman when I want those points. Might rush the gold scarab and I think I'd need to cure rot for that
You can heal through it (I did), or drink the +10 physick for fth

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I reached 45 arcane on my character and stopped at 18 faith for the bunch of breaths I needed. Using the Bloody Helice and a blood godskin stitcher is loving amazing. That and blood godskin peeler+frost twinblade.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

skasion posted:

Storage is for inventory declutter only. Basically a vestigial/legacy thing that hasn’t mattered since Demons Souls

Inventory declutter is a huge deal though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

I reached 45 arcane on my character and stopped at 18 faith for the bunch of breaths I needed. Using the Bloody Helice and a blood godskin stitcher is loving amazing. That and blood godskin peeler+frost twinblade.

That was the build more or less that I just beat it with. I used Helice + Epee and it was very strong

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm running around in NG+ and for some reason I don't slow walk in deep swamp/lava. I can move at normal speed and I have no idea what's causing it. Anyone know what's going on?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

War Wizard posted:

I'm running around in NG+ and for some reason I don't slow walk in deep swamp/lava. I can move at normal speed and I have no idea what's causing it. Anyone know what's going on?

It’s just an NG+ thing. (It’s never been confirmed if it’s a bug or intended, but it’s a thing for everyone.)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is this game a potato on PS4? I want to play with friends that have PS5 but I don't have one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's fine on ps4

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

SuperKlaus posted:

Is this game a potato on PS4? I want to play with friends that have PS5 but I don't have one.

I’m on my first play through now, runs better than DS3. Every so often there’s some drawing stutter in the distance or a low res model that takes a second to pop in but there’s no real issues. I can’t say I’ve experienced any video lag or frame rate dips from particles or enemies on the screen and I’m 70 hours in now. If you’re on the original PS4 it can pretty loud too but no more than other newer games like God of War or Ghosts of Tsushima. Basically if you were okay with the other FromSoft games you’ll be fine to pleased with how ER runs.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I found out how to randomize this game on PC, and I'm loving the experience. It's so cool to actually get to use equipment and spells that are usually gated behind lategame poo poo. I ended up playing a mage because Kale had The Scepter of the All-Knowing for sale.

The boss randomizing can be brutal though. My Renalla fight turned into a Placidusax > 2nd phase Fire Giant fight, and I think that was the first time I've ever lost a boss battle because I've run out of MP before.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Close to 400 hours on PS4. Plays fine. Sometimes I really notice the dynamic resolution dropping and some fps drops but most of the time looks really good.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My only complaint on PS4 is occasionally long load times, but even then it's not too bad, and nothing like how Bloodborne was when it shipped.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

No poo poo? That's actually fairly restrictive. I figured it just calculated off equipped gear rather than your entire playthrough

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It sounds like it's basically minor refinement of the matchmaking mechanics used in later Souls games (including the DS1 remaster). IIRC the original system ignored everything except soul level (which was why you had zweihander GiantDads invading in undead burg and poo poo like that), and then it was adjusted to consider weapon upgrades (which helped a little bit but mostly just resulted in a slightly more restrictive twink meta), and then in the remaster it supposedly became some weird Soul Memory thing where everything you'd ever done (including your total souls spent) was factored in.

Then Elden Ring reverted to the simpler "character level and highest upgrade level" mechanic and introduced multiplayer groups and passwords. It's such an incredibly brilliant fix to the problem of needing to balance good matchmaking with the ability to play with your friends: simply don't. Just make them two separate things. Absolutely galaxy brain design decision, rated 5, ranked S, no notes completely impeccable god bless you Fromsoft

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sindai posted:

Well I did the final bosses, I have mixed feelings on them.

Godfrey was a huge disappointment because he went from impossible with no summon to nearly trivial with one.

Ashes are the game's "easy mode" so this is an odd criticism.

I'm replaying Sekiro now and unlearning Elden Ring combat took a bit.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 8, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

It sounds like it's basically minor refinement of the matchmaking mechanics used in later Souls games (including the DS1 remaster). IIRC the original system ignored everything except soul level (which was why you had zweihander GiantDads invading in undead burg and poo poo like that), and then it was adjusted to consider weapon upgrades (which helped a little bit but mostly just resulted in a slightly more restrictive twink meta), and then in the remaster it supposedly became some weird Soul Memory thing where everything you'd ever done (including your total souls spent) was factored in.

Then Elden Ring reverted to the simpler "character level and highest upgrade level" mechanic and introduced multiplayer groups and passwords. It's such an incredibly brilliant fix to the problem of needing to balance good matchmaking with the ability to play with your friends: simply don't. Just make them two separate things. Absolutely galaxy brain design decision, rated 5, ranked S, no notes completely impeccable god bless you Fromsoft
Soul Memory is a Dark Souls 2 thing. DS remaster introduced the upgrade level system ER also uses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Demon's Souls is still the best system because it always felt unexpected and perilous to get invaded, the only problem being the really stringent MM cap that made it almost impossible to find players at NG+2 and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Demon's Souls is still the best system because it always felt unexpected and perilous to get invaded, the only problem being the really stringent MM cap that made it almost impossible to find players at NG+2 and beyond.

I didn't play DeS but played the remaster and the World/Character tendency thing is a mechanic I'm super glad they dropped. Really easy to gently caress your whole playthrough if you don't know ahead of time that you're supposed to kill yourself in the Nexus after beating a boss to avoid playing in body form.