Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Honestly if you go passive and hole up whenever an invader shows up you’re cheating yourself out of some really cool experiences. Some of my most exciting moments in this game were 1v1ing an invader on the Raya Lucaria ball staircase, or in the Leyndell street with the tree fatty aggroed. The environment eventually won both those battles for me, but it was crazy fun. In the second case the host came out of hiding to help me after the invader died and immediately got stomped to death- I kinda hope the invader got to see that as she faded out.

The thing that confuses me the most about multiplayer is how it can be so hard to keep these nerds alive when I’m sunbroing and so hard to kill them when I’m invading (not really: it’s because I’m bad, and overlevelled phantoms).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm still a might lower on vigor than I should be, but the fun of having better dex and faith has made it great fun. Even with the spell dmg boosts that increase incoming damage it's been really manageable with good placement, my real limiting factor is still endurance for relentless attacking but leveling is fixing that. Golden Wave is so neat too, that huge span is just satisfying to watch slowly advance on bad mans!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

hey mom its 420 posted:

I think I realized why I never go heavy on spells in ER: having a limited amount of FP per rest and having to chug potions to do my thing just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Plus it means I'll have fewer health flasks so I just always decide to hit enemies with my sword. Anyone else have this hangup?
Early game it feels pretty limiting but since the total amount of FP you can get from flasks increases nonlinearly (with both amount of uses and flask upgrades/mind level) it soon becomes a non-issue. Especially if you beeline the churches and sparkly trees in each zone.

It also helps that to some extent spending FP saves you from damage because a lot of enemies just die helplessly at range so you need fewer red flasks.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I wouldn't really consider the flasks to be a consumable since they auto refill every 50ft at the next grace site. It does put a cap on the total FP one has, but since magic can just wreck so much at such a decent range there's not much need for HP. In DS1 magic was even more like in DnD with limited charges per spell per slot and that felt extremely stifling, but the game was balanced properly so it never became an issue. In Elden Ring by the time I got to Raya Lucario I didn't really feel much squeeze on FP management.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, all that makes sense. I guess I'm just used to only using health flasks for consumables and nothing else. There's also the penalty of having to stand still while you gulp your mana potion, which just feels kind of lame. Are Beast Claw and/or Bloodflame Talons any good? Those look like fun spells to cast with a bleed build.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Beast claw is meh. Better off hurling the boulder. Never actually used Bloodflame Talons but they can chain cast pretty fast. Bloodflame Blade + Talons (or any claw weapon) is very good at bleeding for almost any build.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beast claw looks so cool. I heard it was better in the network test, so it's doubly disappointing that it doesn't do much damage.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Flasks aren’t also a huge issue because the ash of war infusion system makes it so easy to have a variety of “good enough” backup weapons to swap to. Even with very low investments in physical stats a cold rapier or spear will do just fine for an emergency backup.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah there are a lot of weapons that scale really well to INT with a cold infusion, for example - the Brick Hammer

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Holy crap, I just found out that land squirts (poison barnacle) explode if you can poison them. loving god knows how many hours into the game and only just discovering this. Not that it changes much, they're not really an obstacle at any point in the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

War Wizard posted:

Holy crap, I just found out that land squirts (poison barnacle) explode if you can poison them. loving god knows how many hours into the game and only just discovering this. Not that it changes much, they're not really an obstacle at any point in the game.

The bigger and bigger ones left me waiting for a giga-squirt joke boss that never appeared

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf1pXd4YsA8

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I tried that trick without the lying down emote because some people said it worked with just crouching. I think they were liars.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skasion posted:

The bigger and bigger ones left me waiting for a giga-squirt joke boss that never appeared

A giant room with a crayfish that can teleport around.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

These carbot animations are always spot on.

Mustached Demon posted:

Mausoleum Guardian Lobster protects the Mausoleum Crab.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 13, 2022

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

War Wizard posted:

This is pretty much the only thing about specific enemy weaknesses that the game literally tells you.

quote:

Land squirts are soft where they touch the ground, and poison will cause them to rupture.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dark Moon Greatsword versus Royal Greatsword? With both their classes finally buffed, which one do you guys prefer?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So what’s the deal with the heroes Graves? I stupidly tried the one right at the start and the boss was insanely impossible. They’re really distinct from everything else in the game and also don’t seem to have any lore I could see to suggest going in or anything. It was annoying enough I haven’t gone back in one yet but if there’s something worth doing I guess I could try.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

toasterwarrior posted:

Dark Moon Greatsword versus Royal Greatsword? With both their classes finally buffed, which one do you guys prefer?

Dark moon feels better, but they're both fun fun fun

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Velius posted:

So what’s the deal with the heroes Graves? I stupidly tried the one right at the start and the boss was insanely impossible. They’re really distinct from everything else in the game and also don’t seem to have any lore I could see to suggest going in or anything. It was annoying enough I haven’t gone back in one yet but if there’s something worth doing I guess I could try.
They're a source of ghost gloveworts, unique items, and legendary summon ashes you may or may not really want depending on your build, and also nasty trap dungeons that employ one of two gimmicks. Aside from that one in the tutorial area they're scaled appropriately to their zone though.

EDIT: Oh you might have been asking about lore. Since they each contain a legendary summon ashes I assume they're the graves of those dudes and all the traps are meant to prevent us from plundering their spirits, but tarnished gonna tarnish.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

This is pretty much the only thing about specific enemy weaknesses that the game literally tells you.

Lol, I've literally only seen the "soft where they touch the ground" part since that's how to get to their crit spot. Somehow I missed the "poison ruptures them" and I am not entirely convinced that it didn't get updated at some point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Velius posted:

Lore wise, they’re really big catacombs where heroes were interred in the Erdtree, and to keep people from screwing around in there the Golden Order put up a bunch of insane mechanical/magical protections. Sometimes you get a knight spirit ash for killing the boss, who is supposed to be the hero in the grave, and sometimes you don’t, in which the boss is an ancient hero who decided to rise from their grave I guess. Mechanically, they’re large and kind of dickish puzzle dungeons with tough bosses, there’s usually some good loot somewhere in there but they can also safely be skipped if you don’t want to do them.

The really early game one is just there to gently caress with people who picked the keystone gift, I guess.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Me gathering glovewort.

Oh neat they modeled the ghost so you can tell them apart before picking up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

please don’t leak the secret dlc boss thank you

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Augus posted:

please don’t leak the secret dlc boss thank you

In a swamp room.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tyty posted:

Definitely more on the not finding it fun than just the difficulty, since the really quick deaths really only started to happen after Leyndell. Maybe I'll see if I can scrounge up a couple more levels to push vigor to 45, I stopped at 40 with it. I did switch over to some heavier armor after picking up the great jar, and it's seemed to help a little, and I am using dragoncrest. None of the take more damage talismans either.

I do have some other int weapons I could try, maybe I'll find a moveset I like more than the katana one and it'll help, or a weapon art I like more than moonveil's. I'm not really hitting fast enough to proc the bleed super often, I just put everything into it since it's what was working and ancient smithing stones of both kinds seem really limited.

This is roughly what I've been doing, with a bit less mind. I'm at level 120-ish, capped off int at 60 and started putting extra into a bit of end and more dex. I'm thinking I should've gone something more straightforward than mage but the allure of cool summoned swords was too much.

Yeah the benefit of Unga Bunga or just using heavier poise breaking type weapons is once you get those hits in you just start interrupting enemy attacks and if you know your range well and/or dodge well you just keep them locked down. Int/Dex I'd say is more of a patient play style since you have to wait for punish windows more than a str build which can just interrupt/poise break enemy actions with its heavier attacks.

I'm using a shield on my current melee mage in part because Carian Slicer doesn't always cause much poise damage so it's nice having the shield as a failsafe. When I'm not dodging I can usually just block--->swing slicer a few times really fast--->block again. Fp isn't even a problem because it's so cheap as a spell and I carry enough fp flasks.

I'm not sure about other great int based weapons to try. Darkmoon Great Sword I've heard good things about. I used Sword of Night and Flame on one of my plays (but has a heavy faith requirement) and liked that a lot.

skasion posted:

Go to 60, respec if necessary. 40 is too low for any of the post-capital zones imo, whatever build you’re doing. As a wizard you can lag on leveling health a little bit if you’re killing stuff effectively at range, but if you’re dying too much, get healthier.

Would also second this. 60 Vigor is what you want. You can go with less on subsequent playthroughs, but I wouldn't go less than that until you feel really comfortable with enemy patterns.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/wno2xy/i_summoned_a_duelist_named_lift_inspector_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I was laughing a lot at this to begin with but I died when he started welding

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is great :allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

lmao ok this guy rules

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Is upgrading shields worth it in this one?

I recall it being so in DS1 but then recall it becoming pointless in later games or something.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

HaB posted:

Is upgrading shields worth it in this one?

I recall it being so in DS1 but then recall it becoming pointless in later games or something.

Pretty sure it only upgrades the attacking stats, for like Bash and stuff. Defense stays the same, unless you change the affinity, at which point it rebalances the types it guards against (Normal, Magic, etc).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No it upgrades stability (just not every level) and is absolutely worth doing if you intend to use the shield in any capacity at all

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah upgrading shields definitely makes a difference. This is doubly true for the gun shield, which does much more damage when upgraded. But it's worthwhile for any shield you're planning to block stuff with.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah upgrading shields definitely makes a difference. This is doubly true for the gun shield, which does much more damage when upgraded. But it's worthwhile for any shield you're planning to block stuff with.

No Dignity posted:

No it upgrades stability (just not every level) and is absolutely worth doing if you intend to use the shield in any capacity at all

Word. Thanks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Some great shields are pretty decent bashing devices, even apart from the ones with special attacks. Never beat a weapon with comparable weight/reqs but shield bash is a really safe attack and with dragon claw shield or fingerprint you can end up doing 300-400 damage

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

shield bash has guard frames and doesn't cause guard break when you run out of stamina using them, it's absurdly good and slept on

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

This game gives me so much anxiety (not medically, you know what I mean). Looks like my next fight is the Godskin Duo. I know what I have to do - sleep pots, dual wield curved swords, become a blender. The thought of the fight still makes me cringe.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

shield bash ... doesn't cause guard break when you run out of stamina using them

woah. well there's my next build then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

This game gives me so much anxiety (not medically, you know what I mean). Looks like my next fight is the Godskin Duo. I know what I have to do - sleep pots, dual wield curved swords, become a blender. The thought of the fight still makes me cringe.

Embrace the mimic. Become two blenders.