Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's been a while for me with From games, but I love them, so I can't wait for my first blind run of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Blaziken386 posted:

According to VaatiVidya's newest video, some of the attack animations from the trailer were reused assets from some of DS3's weapon arts

but, frankly, you have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of From's asset library on par with VaatiVidya to even really notice or give a crap. I see big flaming sword do a cool spinny attack motion and I clap because it looks pretty. No sense remaking the wheel, y'know? If it works, it works.
e:

I noticed the bit where a pc slashes and spin dodges away is from DS3 but its literally because I was messing around in DS3 because I was pumped for new Souls and did a kick with the dual swords you can start with and said "wait hang on". Doesn't bother me either tbh, asset reuse is smart and frees up time for newer flashier animations to get made.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

multijoe posted:

Nah that's Irish

The one that really puzzled me was hearing Super Eyepatch Wolf pronounce the R in RPG as aur, guess there's still some ancient celtic mysteries left on that island

It's Scottish, Scots and Irish sound nothing alike despite being cousins

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
i love maps in games and I love pot man he is the best

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dying in these games are usually the best parts

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I managed to not take time off for a release last year due to my boss being a nightmare human (and then got the time off anyway because they got covid :shrug:), so I'm going to book well in advance this time for Elden Ring, but now I dunno if this is gonna hit around midnight GMT on the Thursday or around 5pm when Steam updates on the Friday, cos if it's out in the evening I might as well take Saturday off and and... :ohdear:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Groovelord Neato posted:

You can change your clock to unlock early or at least I did when Sekiro came out and I woke up really early that Friday like it was xmas morn.

Oh yeah, it's been so long since I messed about with BearVPN to suddenly teleport to New Zealand that I forgot it was even a thing

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

JBP posted:

Alright I just found the album for while super high playing this game just out in the world exploring poo poo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Castle

https://youtu.be/bA-X2nBVbH8

I'm going to listen to this 4,000 times on a loop on the 25th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Elden.. Ring??

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm torn between picking prisoner so I can make him look like Griffith and the Souls tradition of making a blue skinned monster freak

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My only low level invader character was a shirtless guy with dual claws called Logan and I basically was free souls for low level newbies because I was awful with them. Getting invaded by someone in some ridiculous get up with a dumb weapon is defo something I miss from the early xbox live days of Dark Souls.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
the dude in the trailer goin "Oooohh Elden Ring!" is me in my sick bed a week before release wishing I could sleep til thursday

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gave someone a handy on the Elden Ring bus last night

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This stream is already tedious

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

huh posted:

From that video.

Rock hard

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You get used to the lower damage imo. I'm kind of in the opposite spot where I play dex builds all the time so I end up missing the mobility you get from some of the shorter attack animations. I'm like a little gnat

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hell yeah I've got about 2 hours before work on Thursday to watch this decrypt over vpn and then I have a heap of appointments in work and then if I can I'm running out the door hell yes.

So uh... When's the preload?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cowcaster posted:

48 hours before your given launch time according to the release timeszones map they provided, but if you're an elden ring NFT holder you get priority in the queue

Is that the gold or silver tier? I knew I should have splashed out but I bought the edition with the horse skins instead

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Knowing where GRRM and Miyazaki overlap in influences I was expecting this to be basically Middle Earth Souls, but like... in a good way.

E: And by that I mean the weirder poo poo from like the Silmarillion or Lost Tales where Shelob's mom eats a tree in heaven that's also the sun. You know the poo poo that's in the background that didn't end up being done to death like Elves and orcs and all that

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 22, 2022

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someday From are gonna make the Berserk game they've been trying not to for the last 12 years and I'll be so happy

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hoh hoh hoh my preload is done and I'm fuckin ready for this game to be OUT

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm hoping there being very optional side areas gave From the option to pull weird esoteric bullshit. Those are always my favourite little bits in souls games. Like the egg parasites in ds1, or dark Anor Londo or the HRT coffin in 2 or getting married in 3 or even weirder stuff like sending mimics to sleep... I wonder actually if this being a new series means we'll get a different form for mimics? Or will FromSoft go back to stuffing skeletons in chests?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
lol I haven't looked at the op in a while and I inly just saw "Seek hole, then offer seed" and I'm glad soapstone are back, that's powerful

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Frankston posted:

Wait, you can get married in 3?

Getting married in 3 is like an entire playthrough long side quest, with a bunch of characters who are secretly working on it or to prevent it, a whole gameplay mechanic tied to it Hollowing , a small side area and 3rd ending to the game. That's as in depth as I wanna be on it without spoiling things. This sounds like a shitppost but it all centres on you finding a husband or wife for yourself

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vintersorg posted:

Who is this guy? :lol:

Glad he liked it though.

He's Mattie L, duh

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hell yeah I can't wait to see this game fry my 3070 Miyazaki does it again :flame:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't wait to find a weird swamp charm and you put it on and it does nothing but the next time you wake up you're a lovely little frog man and it hurts your run but everyone wears it and insists they are now Frogbros

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm looking forward to playing this game as well

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Elden???

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The die-corpserun-die again cycle, at least in Ds1 has weird thematic resonance with the metaplot of a god desperately trying to keep the world from falling apart. Don't be Gwyn, be zen as poo poo when you lose all your souls/currency, it stings but you'll beat a boss later and get a heap back, enjoy the process of starting over, don't let it scare you. The game's are pretty well balanced around losing this kind of progress thankfully, so there's probably no real ceiling to the amount of soul you could lose without gimping yourself.

Also! Along similar lines Fromsoft Souls games are at times dumb dumb slapstick comedies with you as the unfortunate victim. The in game trolling again might sting but later you'll get to laugh with someone about a skeleton hiding around a corner kicking you off a cliff into a gorge. And even later maybe you'll see someone get to this part on a playthrough and rub your hands with glee.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Spoilers but I can confirm Patches is in this game

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1496794321672196096?t=aNPUu8PURnDXdY2Vlf4Ecw&s=19

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lads I'm goin to bed now and then when I wake up I'm going to explode a pc with this game, it's just going to catch fire and I'm looking forward to it.

Also on the way home from work I grabbed a notebook cos I did that for BOTW and only managed to fill a page. I've already got 2 before the game's out so that's lookin good

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Good luck fellow pc goons

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Me getting out of bed this morning: AUGH ARISE NOW YE TARNISHED

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Breaking from a long tradition of having a wizened old lady tell you poo poo in the intro by having this old guy get hyped as gently caress for the Dung Eater was risky but worth it imo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Turns out my laptop has a nicer ssd in it than my pc so I'm actually starting out on that. Open world seems OK on it so far, though I did bump all the settings down after my fans span up to 100%. That's on a gtx 1660 ti and a n i5

About to see if this somehow is worse on my 3070

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh ho ho I can't stop this screen tearing even with vsync forced off

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Oh ho ho I can't stop this screen tearing even with vsync forced off

Weirdly I went to check if my refresh rate was too high or too low and it was set to 60, which I figured would have the least tearing but bumping it back up to 144 (something must have messed with it fuckin Windows 10) fixed all my screen tearing. The other Nvidia Control Panel tweak seems to have helped a heap too and I get minor stutters when popping into a new area.

Also game gud

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh crap I'm sure someone else has said this but I noticed you have all the tutorials as items in your inventory to review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh god I'm trapped somewhere horrible jesus god nooo