Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks, those are some impressive photographs.

I recently bought some brass valves for water and never really considered how they had been milled. I guess this makes more sense that you'd have a gigantic machine doing it automatically.

Now, talk to me. What are the tolerances here on the machining? (Not that I'd understand but I'll just nod politely.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Once you have it programmed, how easy is it to run? Could an idiot select the right program off a menu and just let it run?

There's a Men's Shed which just received an old CnC machine. ("Men's Shed" is an organisation that finds warehouses in different areas and sets them up with a charter, machinery, tools, and materials for retired folks to make things.) The guy who donated the machine gave them a quick tutorial but it's all too complex. They're just going to use it as an old fashioned drill press.