Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

June 11th, 2020, Nintendo gave the world the pseudo sequel to the LABO game maker thingy, Game Builder Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXG4KdstVw4

In-depth review from Nintendolife:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4bn6rk767g

Live footage of Alex from Nintendolife building a game. At this posting, it's about 3 hours long so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDRRTJoT2g

Being goons, we obviously have to go crazy with this.

OP to be updated. In the meantime, post any and all GBG content you come up with. Really looking forward to seeing what people end up making with this. :allears:

This OP will also contain any and all game codes that are posted ITT, in two categories; one for goon made, and the other for non-goon made.

--------------

GAMES:

Goon-made:

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here’s a rudimentary HP tracker.
G 005 JJH NYB

Sam Faust posted:

It may not be a lot, but even this much was exhausting.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1405389592283422720?s=20

animesiter posted:

My attempt at making a simple arcade style coin pusher game.
Game ID:
G 002 B0V PLW

Non-goon-made:

A big list can be found at The My Garage site, which is constantly updated.

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ it's been one day and someone already made DOOM

G 000 2HV VLG

A few basic titles made so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVpU6_UZcU

--------------

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Thanks for putting together the thread! I think mine is sitting in my mailbox right now. Going to dig into it a bit during lunch and see what garbage I can make this weekend before I exclusively play other people's good games.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The tutorial feels like it's gonna take a very long time to get through, but I also understand it has to spell every single thing out so kids can get the hang of it. I'm looking forward to getting to the end of it so I can build something proper.

I swear to god if I still can't make my own rocket barrel levels :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing I'm already thankful for is that you can use gyro aiming to control the pointer.

Why Mario Maker 2 didn't have this is beyond me. I love it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate this thread and I'm really looking forward to some goon creations

The name will always always make me think of this lady, though:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What the hell does the Digitizer Nodon do? The Nodopedia says it has something to do with "portions", and the hint in the settings says it takes a rolling and gradual input and makes it sudden and sharp. That gives me some idea of what it's doing, but I've been playing with various values/counters/map nodons and can't make heads or tails of the inputs and outputs I've been getting from Digitize.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I appreciate this thread and I'm really looking forward to some goon creations

The name will always always make me think of this lady, though:

She's living her true self.

Also, drat, looking at the Switch thread title, I should have titled this one "Build your own Uncle from Nintendo"

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I finished the first tutorial game, this looks to be a fun way to get people into game programming. I appreciate that all the nodes have personality because it helps to remember each one individually. I poked around with the music node in free programming and while there isn't an endless amount of sounds or music or anything, there's definitely enough there to have some good sounding stuff for your games without any real work involved.

I'm pretty excited to see what people who put a lot of time into this can make!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, hey, I was wondering some things before I pick up this game.
Can you build animated sprite based 2d games?
Can you add menus?
Can you store game data in variables?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The tutorial is agonizingly slow, but trying to brute force figure things out is just not happening. I mostly want to know how I can get the camera to to be a little bit ahead of the character if it's side scrolling, instead of dead center

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing I'm already thankful for is that you can use gyro aiming to control the pointer.

Why Mario Maker 2 didn't have this is beyond me. I love it.

USB mouse support too

I bit the bullet and spent the last of my Christmas eshop giftcard on this, hopefully some goon creations make it worth it, but no pressure.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
What kinds of inputs are available? Does it give you access to the motion inputs for the joycons?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I feel I may be too dumb/impatient for this game. Kind of regretting my purchase now after messing with it all day. It's just not as simple as I was hoping. Or at least I'll probably just need to wait til a well written tutorial on specific things comes out for this, because the tutorials here aren't nearly as helpful for me as I'd want. Especially with how the game just draaaags them out with all the nodes talking to each other and making jokes. I know it's a game meant for kids to get the hang of coding but I just don't have the patience for it.

Also the UI is extremely finnicky, but I've also only used a controller.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lemming posted:

What kinds of inputs are available? Does it give you access to the motion inputs for the joycons?

Everything, basically. All the buttons, the sticks, the touch screen, motion controls, and while I haven't messed with it you can use the IR camera too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Enjoying it so far. I did the first lesson which was definitely very thorough, but I get that I'm not the target audience. Playing around in free programming definitely makes it clear the tutorials will go into a lot that isn't immediately apparent to me.

The Nodopedia has been fairly helpful too, but I think I'll definitely need to plug through each lesson just to understand everything at my disposal.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Argue posted:

What the hell does the Digitizer Nodon do? The Nodopedia says it has something to do with "portions", and the hint in the settings says it takes a rolling and gradual input and makes it sudden and sharp. That gives me some idea of what it's doing, but I've been playing with various values/counters/map nodons and can't make heads or tails of the inputs and outputs I've been getting from Digitize.

Given an gradual input from 0 to 1 (I used the stick as my input in this case), digitize will round to the nearest "stage". The stage counter is off by one from what's probably intuitive though, so if you want to snap to say, the nearest 1/10, you need to set it to 11. That's because the previous sequence has 11 stages, (0.0 and 1.0 are both counted, and there are 9 other values between them).

Also, this only applies to the fractional level. If you have an input that goes from 0 to 5 and use 11 stages, then there are actually 51 values the digitizer can output (0.0, 0.1, ... 2.0, 2.1, ... 5.0). And this applies to negative numbers as well.

So given this, if you want to snap to 1/2s, you set the number to 3. If you want to snap to 1/5s you set the number to 6 and so on.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Thanks!

Also, uhhhh am I missing something obvious or is it a huge oversight that you can't do anything with the ^ v < > buttons on the left joycon?

I'm trying to figure out how to make a person jerk backwards relative to the direction they're facing (without turning them in that direction) but I haven't figured anything out yet. I tried to attach a sphere behind them with an attached attractor to pull the person back, but attractors don't seem to work on things they're attached to. The same attractor pasted onto the world without being attached to my character worked fine. I thought I could work something out with the angle-to-position sensor and calculations, but there's no "move this object" nodon that I can just feed that input to. Feeding that input to the person just makes them actually walk in that direction, which isn't what I want.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Do I have to play through the tutorial to play other people’s games?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'm hoping there are updates to the number of nodons/nodon customization available because as they are, it's pretty limiting. For example, you can't change the jump power of the character with inputs at all, which would be interesting to do as a power up. You also can't really do much with the outputs of launchers, which seems to be the only way you can spawn objects during gameplay, so you can't, say, create a block that spits out an object to collect (except boxes, spheres, and cylinders, which means you can't use those for other features).

loudog999 posted:

Do I have to play through the tutorial to play other people’s games?

Only a bit of it, I think. As soon as the free programming thing opens up in the main menu, you can, uh, input codes to download other games. Not sure what's a good place to find those codes yet though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The first tutorial is required, but after that free programming opens up. You have to do the tutorials in order if you actually want to do them, though.

Haven't figured out a clean way to do a falling block game either.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I haven't had a chance to tool around with the demo or anything (I updated to 12.0.3, and my download speeds are now nonexistent :argh:), but IMO it's very lame that the only option for player characters is the generic robot guy

it'd be nice if they let people use the same thing they used to make the BotW characters with (ie: slightly fancier miis) or something.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gonna start the tutorial grind today looking forward to this

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Does anyone know if you're able to edit downloaded games? I feel like I could learn a lot from looking behind the scenes in a well executed game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

You can!

In other news, I'm trying to work out design patterns for reusable components, but I'm being blocked primarily by my seeming inability to just store... a number. Like a flag, but let it output values other than 0 and 1.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 12, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

You can!

In other news, I'm trying to work out design patterns for reusable components, but I'm being blocked primarily by my seeming inability to just store... a number. Like a flag, but let it output values other than 0 and 1.

Multiple flags in binary?

I'm just talking completely out my rear end here, I haven't even downloaded the demo yet

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I cannot wait to see what horrors the community makes for this game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Argue posted:

You can!

I believe the "constant" nodon will let you do that?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blaziken386 posted:

I believe the "constant" nodon will let you do that?

I don’t think you can set a constant at runtime. You could probably use a counter for it though, since they constantly output their value.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I haven't been paying super close attention to every bit of text in the tutorials, but I appreciate that it's been trying to present some foundation for decent game design.

Mario Maker gives you all the tools to make a level and then doesn't really do anything to help the user understand what makes a compelling level. It's nice that Game Builder Garage seems to be planting little seeds to help direct the design process.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wish we could have 2 cameras, I want to make something like arkanoid but there's a split screen and player 2 is playing an FPS as the ball

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Argue posted:

You can!

You should use counters to store variables. Would be nice to, you know, name variables, but we’re the fools dumb enough to buy a programming game from Nintendo.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, here’s a rudimentary HP tracker.
G 005 JJH NYB

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 12, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Postman posted:

I haven't been paying super close attention to every bit of text in the tutorials, but I appreciate that it's been trying to present some foundation for decent game design.

Mario Maker gives you all the tools to make a level and then doesn't really do anything to help the user understand what makes a compelling level. It's nice that Game Builder Garage seems to be planting little seeds to help direct the design process.

Doesn't that pigeon get into level design ideas and logic? Not just "this does that", but really "this is what makes something fun"?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the pigeon/Nina/Mary O (RIP) try to teach you some level design stuff but 95% of people probably never read through those tutorials

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Huh, yeah, I'm one of the people that totally missed that. Good to know they at least made it available in-game then.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I am bad at video games

and even worse at making them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

G 000 2HV VLG

The Postman
May 12, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

G 000 2HV VLG

This is great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

G 000 2HV VLG

Added to the OP.

Here's Andre from Gamexplain playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8oUjTLzWpQ

Edit: also found this, adding to the OP as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVpU6_UZcU

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Was looking at the guts of the Doom game to figure out what BGM combo managed to be so spot on... I didn't even realize the sound Nodon has actual instruments and notes you can use to make your own music.