Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No I get that, maybe I didn't explain it properly. And I just tried to write out a better explanation and it turns out, it's the dumbest and smallest gripe ever, so nm. Carry on! :shobon:

Bottom line: a bigger separation between seeing the code (which I agree is very useful) and playing a given game.

I don't think it's a dumb gripe at all. I don't have the game yet so I don't know what it actually looks like but like, this game/application is the only place where these games will be played, so it'd be nice if your finished projects could be presented and experienced as stand-alone products when people download them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seymour Buttz posted:

I don't think it's a dumb gripe at all. I don't have the game yet so I don't know what it actually looks like but like, this game/application is the only place where these games will be played, so it'd be nice if your finished projects could be presented and experienced as stand-alone products when people download them.

Well, I was thinking about this more, and realized that one of the reasons it bugs me is that at any moment, if you press +, you get all of the 'code' and the game you're playing just restarts afterwards. I'd definitely love something more standalone yeah. And then show off the code from a button press in the menu.

The way it is makes the games seem less like games and more like downloaded save files.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Well, I was thinking about this more, and realized that one of the reasons it bugs me is that at any moment, if you press +, you get all of the 'code' and the game you're playing just restarts afterwards. I'd definitely love something more standalone yeah. And then show off the code from a button press in the menu.

The way it is makes the games seem less like games and more like downloaded save files.

There's always Dreams if you want that.

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
New version of my coin pusher game, fixed the coin launcher aiming, and added a lot of new textures and such to improve the presentation a little.

Coin Pusher v2
G 002 TLY LR5

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I get that, but to me GBG felt more like a nice and easy introduction to some central concepts in game programming and less like a full-fledged game development suite.

If you get the urge, you can take what you learned in GBG and start applying those lessons to more advanced tools*.

* admittedly GBG doesn't teach you actual programming, but I'm one of those guys who will to his grave insist that the most difficult thing in learning programming is learning algorithmic thinking, and once you've got that down the rest is just basically grammar. But then again aside from messing with Turbo Pascal back in the 90s, I basically learned programming at university, where they took us from pseudo to Python to Java and finally to whatever the hell any individual course might demand.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I get that, but to me GBG felt more like a nice and easy introduction to some central concepts in game programming and less like a full-fledged game development suite.

If you get the urge, you can take what you learned in GBG and start applying those lessons to more advanced tools*.

* admittedly GBG doesn't teach you actual programming, but I'm one of those guys who will to his grave insist that the most difficult thing in learning programming is learning algorithmic thinking, and once you've got that down the rest is just basically grammar. But then again aside from messing with Turbo Pascal back in the 90s, I basically learned programming at university, where they took us from pseudo to Python to Java and finally to whatever the hell any individual course might demand.

I agree with this, definitely. Like I originally said, it was an admittedly very small gripe. Just a presentation thing, really.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I made a skeet-shooting game that you play by aiming with a detached joy-con's gyroscope. Give it a try!

https://mygarage.games/game/2119

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

I made a skeet-shooting game that you play by aiming with a detached joy-con's gyroscope. Give it a try!

https://mygarage.games/game/2119

I really liked this, though it was a bit difficult to determine where I'd be shooting. I hope you keep at it, because I'd love to play a slightly more polished version.

Really loves how my gun was mimicking how my controller was held :toot:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I really liked this, though it was a bit difficult to determine where I'd be shooting. I hope you keep at it, because I'd love to play a slightly more polished version.

Really loves how my gun was mimicking how my controller was held :toot:

Hey, thanks for playing! I had a hard time tuning things exactly the way I wanted, since there's a pretty low hard cap to how fast launched objects (read: bullets) can move, which can make shooting games a little difficult to balance.

But the shooting itself feels really good, huh? I'm definitely going to be using it in more games down the road!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is there a way to program hitscan weapons in this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

My first guess would be to have an extended, invisible cylinder from your gun that's so long it goes the length of the playing area, and then you'd have to say that if the cylinder is touching an enemy AND you're hitting fire, destroy the enemy. Kind of like the punching in the tutorial, but expanded.

There's probably a better way though.

Edit: fake it with SUPER fast, invisible projectiles that have no gravity?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/CarsonKompon/status/140595379667357286

Someone recreated VVVVVV.

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Started working on an overhead shooter game. Bit of an in-joke related to a comic I do art for.

Squirrels of Fury
G-002-26G-GT2
Edit: switched code for newest version

animesiter fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 23, 2021

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I tried my best and just can't grapple coding, sadly. But I'm loving the goons creations, you're all very talented.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pirate Radar posted:

It should be possible.

1. Use an angle sensor nodon to get the firing characters facing direction.
2. Use position sensors between the firing character and the target and subtracted by calculator nodon to get relative position difference.
3. Do a trigonometric calculation to get the resulting angle value.
4. Compare facing angle with target direction angle and hit if they match.

Then you get to write a subroutine that calculates how much targeting error is allowed depending on the distance and size of the target so have fun with that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ratjaculation posted:

I tried my best and just can't grapple coding, sadly. But I'm loving the goons creations, you're all very talented.

Compared to Mario Maker it’s a real pain. The moment of realization when you put enemies on the screen and realize that if you want them to do anything you have to construct AI from scratch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Compared to Mario Maker it’s a real pain. The moment of realization when you put enemies on the screen and realize that if you want them to do anything you have to construct AI from scratch.

Yep. I have an idea from many years ago when I tried my hand at making something in Unity that I'll likely bring back with this, but man, it's gonna be quite the experience getting there.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

My first guess would be to have an extended, invisible cylinder from your gun that's so long it goes the length of the playing area, and then you'd have to say that if the cylinder is touching an enemy AND you're hitting fire, destroy the enemy. Kind of like the punching in the tutorial, but expanded.

There's probably a better way though.

Edit: fake it with SUPER fast, invisible projectiles that have no gravity?

I experimented with that first method for other purposes and I'm not sure it would work. Objects can only be so long, so in order to get a hitscan weapon with any kind of reach you'd need to connect objects end-to-end. But when you do that, the game's physics kick in and make the whole thing really wobbly, kind of like you're waving around a pool noodle. So not only does that mean it wouldn't accurately track the player's aim because it would always lag behind where they're pointing, but there's also a good chance that the whole thing would just snap in half while you wave it around, especially if you're using gyroscopic controls. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable physics acting on objects in the same way that you can disable gravity.

As far as the second idea goes, I already have the gun's launcher object ignoring gravity and launching as fast as the game will allow it to; a speed of 100 seems like the cap. It's not the worst thing for a skeet-shooting game where having to lead your shots is a part of how the actual sport works, but I do wish I could have made the shots go a liiiittle bit faster.

It might be worth experimenting with a kind of aim assist by attaching the attractor nodon to targets instead?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

I experimented with that first method for other purposes and I'm not sure it would work. Objects can only be so long, so in order to get a hitscan weapon with any kind of reach you'd need to connect objects end-to-end. But when you do that, the game's physics kick in and make the whole thing really wobbly, kind of like you're waving around a pool noodle. So not only does that mean it wouldn't accurately track the player's aim because it would always lag behind where they're pointing, but there's also a good chance that the whole thing would just snap in half while you wave it around, especially if you're using gyroscopic controls. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable physics acting on objects in the same way that you can disable gravity.

As far as the second idea goes, I already have the gun's launcher object ignoring gravity and launching as fast as the game will allow it to; a speed of 100 seems like the cap. It's not the worst thing for a skeet-shooting game where having to lead your shots is a part of how the actual sport works, but I do wish I could have made the shots go a liiiittle bit faster.

It might be worth experimenting with a kind of aim assist by attaching the attractor nodon to targets instead?

As for the speed, can you use a multiplier to increase it?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

As for the speed, can you use a multiplier to increase it?

That's a good idea, and I checked, but since a launcher's launch speed is set within the node itself and not set with an input, there doesn't seem to be a way to crack the top speed baked into the node.

For my next game I'm just going to rely on having more targets closer to the player so that the relatively slow top launch speed doesn't cause too many problems.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

EightFlyingCars posted:

poo poo about the touch sensors that was actually wrong!

So it turns out that if you attach even a super long touch sensor to the end of a gun and use that with an AND operator with a button press, it actually does work like a really long punch! Rupert Buttermilk was right all along!

We got hitscan weapons, baby

edit: Unfortunately, touch sensors can only be 10m in length and I don't see any way of sticking more of them end-on-end, so until that can be figured out, using touch sensors for hitscan guns is really going to limit your range

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 23, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

So it turns out that if you attach even a super long touch sensor to the end of a gun and use that with an AND operator with a button press, it actually does work like a really long punch! Rupert Buttermilk was right all along!

edit: Unfortunately, touch sensors can only be 10m in length and I don't see any way of sticking more of them end-on-end, so until that can be figured out, using touch sensors for hitscan guns is really going to limit your range

What about a combination of super long invisible block, plus a ball (bullet) spawner at the end of that so the bullets have less of a distance to travel, and hit the target much sooner?

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Completed a new upgraded version of my "Squirrels of Fury" game. Added some more trees to collect apples from and another squirrel spawns after you hit a point threshold

Squirrels of Fury EX
G-004-Y4B-C3N

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
So did this die out? I was looking at it with interest in a "I don't have much time to hobby program maybe I can get my output with this" but no one seems to talk about it anymore

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fixins posted:

So did this die out? I was looking at it with interest in a "I don't have much time to hobby program maybe I can get my output with this" but no one seems to talk about it anymore

I don't think it's dead or anything, but at least for me Mario Golf (esp with goons) has taken over my Switch time lately.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I just noticed the News channel for Game Builder Garage posted a little template for dashing with the B button you can download from Nintendo's own in-game account. I read a rumor they would be making some games available after launch so it might be worth keeping an eye on that.

As for interest levels... I also got sucked into Mario Golf. I don't think I'm ever going to create anything extensive, but I did get to toy with some ideas and see some cool creations so far. Worth the price of admission in my opinion, and I'll continue checking out people's creations. I have my doubts it'll maintain a solid following though.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Well, I hope people out there are still interested in checking out things, 'cause I just finished making a thing!

Robo Ride Battle
G-004-X4Y-C8J

It's a 2-player VS thing (1 Joy-Con each) where you commandeer vehicles of varying ridiculousness and try to fight the other guy. It's got a number of slightly ambitious "huh, I wonder if I could do that in this?" ideas, but still ends up pretty basic and fairly wonky. And I ended up running hard into the nodon limit.

Let me know if you end up trying it against another player!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I think it's also just it takes a bit of time to put together anything substantial. I know when I get a bit more time I plan on putting together something real dumb.

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
A few more things I made

Arcade Hub
G-006-WNP-H31
More of hub for other games I've made than a game itself (check my other shared games for most recent versions of games in arcade)
Edit: swapped code for new version with more games setup

There's Something On The Train
G-008-9MW-C4Y
Short horror experience

The Sky Is Falling
G-008-PCC-9NY
Retro Arcade style shooter, loosely inspired by stuff like "Missle Command"

Token Slots
G-006-JY3-3LR
Attempt at making a simple 3 reel slot machine

animesiter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 13, 2021

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Haha, those are amazing! You really nailed the mood with that train one, and the falling sky one gets crazy hectic, especially with the drum track ramping up like that.

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Finished making an upgraded version of my game "The Sky Is Falling". Drastically cleaned up the code, and improved the flow of the game, added a new meteor type, and added tilt controls to aim with the joy cons (enable and disable by pressing the Y button) and some small sound and graphic tweaks.

The Sky Is Falling EX
G-002-DXF-14F

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Made another retro style arcade game, basically works like that old board game "Crossfire". Plays best with two people but I did make a basic AI you can enable by pressing the Y button

Gunball 2000
G-004-KBM-RG7

Also a new update for my arcade hub. Now setup for the most recent stuff

Arcade Hub
G-001-PDF-T3N

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I made a bird game!

How to Bird
G 008 MD7 WCV

I tried to nail the feel of flying and swooping around. I think it ended up pretty satisfying!
You can fly around and there's a few goals to figure out.

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
does anyone have a stylus suggestion? i am using a rubber nub on the end of a pen but i hate how it drags across the screen, would like something that has a fine point or at-least more… controllable?

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to grab objects outside of POV mode? like, if your in 3rd person view can you have your character grab an object? i suspect the answer is no but wanted to ask the experts.

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?

EightFlyingCars posted:

not sure if you found the hitscan solution you were looking for but in the extra check point 32 they have an interesting cross hair shooter that is controlled with the sticks. they use a destroy object on an only movable box (with a crosshair texture) that is activated with a Y press- here they have you destroying fancy objects (crates and shipping container). not sure if you can swap the sticks out for gyro but i’d imagine it might work for what you’re trying to do.

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Made a "Skee Ball" style game this time.

RetRoll
G-007-4H8-H0P

Also made some expansion areas for my "Arcade Hub"
Includes an elevator to travel between the floors
G-007-YXB-6T6
A basement where I'm putting older versions of games no longer in the main hub
G-004-KBN-663
And a second floor where my newest stuff will go
G-004-Y3K-74L

Check my programmer ID for the games I have setup in the hub

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
This is probably the most complex game I've made so far. I'm a pretty big pinball fan so hopefully I did it justice.

Ultra Pinball
G-003-991-BM1
Edit: updated code to most recent version

animesiter fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 8, 2021

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Another update to my pinball game, figured out how to increase the speed of the ball quite a bit. And made various other fixes and tweaks.
Ultra Pinball (1.4)
G-004-BHW-0KV

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

animesiter posted:

Another update to my pinball game, figured out how to increase the speed of the ball quite a bit. And made various other fixes and tweaks.
Ultra Pinball (1.4)
G-004-BHW-0KV

Oh, meant to say earlier, I really enjoyed your pinball game, and can't wait to try this new version out. My only issue was the speed of the ball, so :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Glad you liked it, let me know how the speed feels on this version.

Also slight update to the table (some small adjustments to the flippers and drain guards and fixing a spot that would rarely cause the ball to get stuck)

Ultra Pinball (v1.4.1)
G-002-HVD-WWF