Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've always said this to just about anyone in any time it could be appropriate, so me I suppose. I'm the person saying sir and ma'am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

June 4 2021 posted:

Its the language of subservience and rear end-kissing. I tell people to please stop if they do it.

It's grovelling and distateful and wrong. Don't have a hosed ego and make your waitstaff or whoever pretend they are a lesser person than you.

Dude we just asked if you wanted to get some wings and maybe shoot a game of pool later.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If I'm in a store and someone is looking at something and I need to budge past them and it's clear what the situation is, I will say "Excuse/Pardon me, ma'am/sir" and if it's a person whom I cannot tell, whom appears to be doing whatever, is someone I KNOW, is my friend or even my wife, family or even my frigging dogs when we're at home sometimes I will just say "Pardon/excuse me".

I've found this terrifying gender degradation the great conflagration of our society and not something I never really considered, simply because I don't bark "YES SIR, NO MA'AM" at every living person regardless of appearance or situation without cause, greatly troubling ever since reading this thread and now, to simplify things I will just no longer address any living thing and retreat further into my goon-hovel.

Once asked about "Whether I used sir or ma'am or whether I did not" I realized that this decision was a binary choice, and I felt unfairly discriminated against, as sometimes I chose to, and sometimes I chose not to.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I find it most respectful to ignore everyone by turning from them darkly while drawing a clenched fist to my mouth, closing my eyes and whispering 'xer' through clenched lips rather than take that awful leap into any kind of conversation that could possibly be gendered even by mistake and happily apologizing and engaging afterwards.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In all seriousness, the last few places I've worked (here in the Grand Ol' US of A) once on even polite terms, 'dude' is tossed around as gender neutral even from woman to woman.
I have a harder time seeing that being heavily coded or whatever, as opposed to 'bro' or 'sir' or something. However I come from both a customer service (a while ago) and technical background so idk how far that carries into other fields.

Like, I certainly wouldn't OPEN a conversation with it or do it anywhere it wasn't established, but hearing two women call each other that or a woman or man refer to either or as that in a casual 'yo, <dude> hand me that' context certainly wouldn't be out of bounds or be considered gendered or anything. Then again, if any party had said 'don't do that', it'd have stopped immediately so maybe that's not the best bar to measure by. idk.

I guess I don't know why this is so hard to do, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Vice President posted:

I think one thing we can all agree on is that anyone who is not a medical doctor that has a Ph.D from somewhere should never be called "Doctor"

I think I've told this story before or whatever, but gently caress it.

When I was very young, like, 12, maybe 13'ish, I was caddying at a local country club and by luck of the draw got picked to bag for this dude who was a guest of one of the members.
And so, I'm hauling his clubs for him and doing normal caddie stuff for the first one or two holes, and we get to the second or third green, what have you. I don't really remember exactly, but I went to hand him either his putter on the green, or his driver headed to the next tee and said "Here you are sir," and in front of the entire group and the rest of the caddies, said, loudly "I didn't go to Medical School for Eight Goddamn Years for YOU to call me SIR. You will call me DOCTOR from here on out."

Keep in mind, I'm like, 12 to 13 years old at this point and had met this guy probably less than an hour ago and maybe heard him referred to as "Dr." once during that time.
At the end of the round, the other dudes he was playing with apologized to me, a kid, and actually tipped me out FOR him and I made some decent cash.